“Always great to go back”
Review of Old Dairy Tearoom

Old Dairy Tearoom
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Longhope
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a family-run tearoom focusing on using good quality local produce. We serve breakfasts, home-cooked lunches, light snacks & our highly regarded home-baked cakes and scones, enjoyed on their own warm from the oven, with clotted cream & jam, or as part of our celebrated afternoon teas. We have 16 loose leaf teas from which to choose, and James Gourmet Coffee from Ross-on-Wye. Booking is advisable for lunch & especially for Sunday roasts served every Sunday 12-3. Special dietary requirements can be catered for, with gluten-free & limited dairy-free items available on the daily menus, but please let us know when making your reservation if you have specific dietary needs. We serve our hot food menu (including breakfasts) until 3pm all year round.
Crewe, United Kingdom
“Always great to go back”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We have been going to the Old Dairy Tearoom for a number of years whilst we have been on holiday in the area and look forward to going each time. We are always made very welcome a very welcoming atmosphere. The food is excellent all from local suppliers cooked and presented well. and a reasonable price. We will be going back again on our next visit to the area. Thank you

3 Thank John T
Joanne B, Owner at Old Dairy Tearoom, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
John, it was lovely to see you and your family again this year. Thank you for your kind comments about our service and your experience of our tearoom. We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Cinderford, United Kingdom
“Unwelcome if you don't have a Forest accent!”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I came to the tea room hoping to have a pleasant lunch with my friend. As a trained Chef with 24 years UK and International experience in cookery and hospitality management and buyer/user or local foods and a 10 year resident of the area, I was impressed with their use of local purveyors and was looking forward to my meal. The tea menu was impressive and the cakes looked fresh.

We sat at a table and waited ... and waited. Two people at the till were speaking of personal issues & didn't seem to notice us, although we were the only people there. As we then noticed an outside seating area, we asked a server who just entered the room if we could sit outside, and she said yes - although we had to order and pay at the till before we ate. This seemed unfriendly - can the servers not walk outside to see what we wanted as the patio was only small, about 30 feet by 20 feet and there seemed to be enough of them to have conversations with each other?? - but we went outside and found a nice table in the sun immediately next to the door & started to read the menu.

When I walked back inside, I placed my order, but said that we werent sure if we wanted cake (we hadn't eaten, had no idea of portion size, and it's not good customer service to order food only to not want it at the end of the meal and ask for a refund). I was told that I had to pay NOW by the woman I assume was the owner. She seemd very angry. I didn't want to leave my card as I was worried about security. So I said that the policy stinks and I wouldn't be ordering any cake just in case I was full. I then was accosted by the owner, who very rudely said to me me in a loud tone "It's for EVERYONE AND IT'S POLICY". I explained that I served over 150,000 people in my last position & I had never had someone walk out without payment, & I would expect the servers to come out and make sure that the customers were looked after even if they were outside. She responded with "Well, then you're lucky" sarcastically. I said to the waitress/ helper swiping my card "I know it's not you, personall, it's just policy" as she seemed nervous & then the owner attacked me again, jumping in front of the server & adding an unsolicited & completely unwarranted "WELL, AS AN OWNER, I...." I walked outside to the table because I don't need to be verbally attacked by someone, esp someone that is supposed to positively reflect her "customer service" of her establishment .

The food came, and to be honest I had no issues. However, I noticed that the 2 women at an adjoining table not only had TABLE SERVICE - with a server not only taking their order outside, but also asking them how their meal was, and then allowing them to order cake and tea WITHOUT ASKING FOR PAYMENT OR ASKING THEM TO GO INSIDE AND PAY BEFORE I WAS SERVED AS I HAD TO DO.

So I have come to the following conclusions:
1. The policy must only apply to "some", as the ladies next to us had still not paid or received their bill as we left 20 mins later - although I had to pay immediately.
2. As I don't have a local accent, I was treated differently, so I can also hypothesize that foreigners/ tourists must expect to be treated differently/ worse than "locals".
3. The cakes looked very appetizing and as someone who lives very close to the tea room (my Vet is actually located directly next to the tea room), I would have been a very regular customer but I just really don't want to be treated as a pariah so I won't be back, sadly.

I would recommend that any foreigners/ visitors to this location seek some other solace, as having a non local accent makes the staff treat you like a criminal/ pariah/ idiot. I had money to spend and it was unfortunate that the "service" i was given was not the same level of service given to people surrounding our table that had local accents. I hope this was just a single racist incident and someone was having a bad day. Even my friend could not believe that the people next to us did not have to pre-pay as we did & were looked after very differently. Sad. There are some positive reviews on the establishment so I'm hoping that it's a single racist incident based on someone's particular prejudice.

6 Thank patti p
JoBrad25, Owner at Old Dairy Tearoom, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We will endeavour to respond to all of your points as you state them. Firstly, it is our intention to address every customer entering the tearoom. If this did not happen, then I can only apologise for this and it will be addressed with all staff. However, that is the only point at which you have a valid argument for complaint.

I am Joanne Bradbury, the co-owner of the business with my sister Zoe Bradbury. We do not come from this area, we are from Warwickshire, and moved here to run our business after over 20 years experience in hospitality management. Therefore we do not have local accents ourselves, and it is not a 'locals only' venue. We have regular customers from the local areas, surrounding counties and tourists new to the Forest and returning alike from all over the UK and world. Not once have we treated anybody any differently because of where they visit us from.

As catering professionals, we try to eat out as often as we can, and have rarely eaten outside at any pub or food establishment without being asked to order and pay up front; our policy is not unusual.

There were 3 other tables outside at the same time as yourselves, all of whom had ordered and paid inside the tearoom prior to eating. the ladies to whom you refer had ordered their traditional afternoon tea and paid for this at the till, but we do not serve the cake at the same time as the sandwiches and scones in this weather, as it goes dry. The ladies were therefore approached towards the end of their meal to see if they were ready for their paid-for cakes; to which they responded that they were full and would like to take them away with them. It is unfortunate that you have jumped to the wrong conclusion. Also, you were asked by our waitress during your meal if everything was alright for you, as ALL of our customers are checked. We specifically asked our waitress to check with you, because you had already complained about our payment policy.

One of the other tables outside with you is a lady who works part-time in our tearoom who had brought her family. She also paid in advance, before going out to the garden. As I said to you at the time, it is a blanket policy and nothing personal.

Your friend who accompanied you on Saturday has frequented the tearoom previously, and when our waitress gave you menus and started to tell you about the policy to order and pay inside, your friend told our waitress 'yes, yes, I know'.

The waitress who took your order is a 20-year old university student of psychology who has worked for us at the tearoom for over 5 years. She is by no means nervous or inexperienced, however, she has never had to handle someone as rude and obnoxious as you were becoming, which is why i - as the owner - "jumped in" to end the discussion. Your actual words were: "your policy sucks" which was a childish comment, and therefore I reacted strongly. All i was trying to point out to you was that you can order and pay for your dessert at that time to save incurring a credit/debit card fee which we charge on all orders under £5. I was trying to be helpful in offering you alternative solutions, and I certainly did not insist that you must pay 'NOW'. I also at no point shouted at you, so all the capital letters used in your review are misleading - no-one raised their voices. You were extolling your experience in catering management that had no bearing on my policy in my business. It is unfortunate that we have experienced people leaving without paying their bills, and we are well within our rights to do what we can to prevent this from happening.

One of your suggested solutions was to fully enclose the garden and to lock the gate. Unfortunately, our garden cannot be fully enclosed/locked off as it is a right of way to the facilities for the staff at Pets Barn Vets - your vets. Please feel free to check this with them.

After finishing your meal, you came inside as it started to rain, along with the ladies who had had afternoon tea outside. You both had extra drinks, your friend had cake, which you refused to have on principle because you wrongly assumed the table next to you had not been asked to pay, and were affronted.

Your parting shot was to insinuate that our juices from a local farm were not, in fact local, as you had never heard of the fruit farm. Our apple juices are from Hilter Farm in Oxenhall, Newent approximately 8.9 miles from the tearoom, and further information can be found at http://www.gloucestershireapplejuice.co.uk/

If you believe that you were asked to pre-pay because you have an American accent, then that is your prerogative, however, it is totally untrue;
To insinuate that you were subject to a racist incident because you have an American accent is disgusting and abhorrent to us; it is an extremely serious accusation for you to make against us and we are taking it so; to this point we are seeking legal advice.

This is a really disappointing incident for us, as we pride ourselves on good quality food and excellent customer service.
Preston
“Great place to stop for afternoon tea”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Great small tea shop with excellent food and great service. Beautiful setting either sit in the old cottage or out on the terrace. Great choice of local hot and cold food and plenty of choices of drinks. Would recommend if passing or as a detour on the way south.

1 Thank Stuart68
Lydney, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I've been to harts barn a couple of times and its never fails to please. The service is very friendly. The food is fresh and always cooked to perfection. I'm lactose intolerant and this is one of the only places I have been able to have dessert. The dairy free chocolate cake is to die for.

3 Thank Louloubug
JoBrad25, Owner at Old Dairy Tearoom, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Many thanks for your comments, we are pleased you enjoy our dairy-free chocolate cake. We always have soya milk and cream available too. With advanced notice, we can bake dairy-free scones, yorkshire puddings for a Sunday roast... and more!
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Tea room regularly visited for lunch”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Over recent months we have been regular visitors to the tea room. We often decide to lunch there finding that the setting within the craft centre offers a few interesting shops to look round whilst the tea room itself is quintessentially english. The food (meals, sandwiches and desserts and cakes) are good quality and the prices reasonable. The service is attentive. The music however could be dispensed with or at least changed more often.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank jandavickers
JoBrad25, Owner at Old Dairy Tearoom, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write about your experiences of our tearoom. Our music is provided by a local folk group called 'Kit & Boodle'. We are always looking for more local bands to support, and we would welcome more variety. Kit & Boodle are putting together a new CD in the near future.