“Play barn was good,as a farm attraction very poor.”

Dick Whittington Farm Park
Ranked #8 of 9 things to do in Longhope
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The presentation of animal pens very poor. signs fallen off stands and nature walk is nothing of the sort. advertising is misleading. play barn ok but overall costs to get it make it expensive. Staff need to focus on customer service i would question health and safety on a high number of areas.

1  Thank towngirl62
Chris T, Owner at Dick Whittington Farm Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

This review seems to suggest a total lack of understanding. The one owl enclosure that was described as ‘dirty’ has a breeding pair. The Farm staff have specifically avoided causing any disturbance as explained on the sign. The ‘bare’ horse paddocks are specifically like that to avoid laminitis in the feet of the horses. The ‘tiny’ chicken coops are used for rearing. The older birds are let out in a 1 acre paddock.

On our Reception, there are a range of leaflets covering farm animals, Nature Trail walks and a guide to the Centre.

No mention was made of the long list of attractions. For example, the Reptile House, the Small Pets Room, the tractor and trailer ride to feed the fish in the valley, the Pets Encounter sessions, the wide range of animals to see and feed, the go-kart course and, of course, the massive indoor heated Play Barn.

We are, of course, a family-run Farm Park. We are also a working farm. The atmosphere is to take our visitors into a rural atmosphere safeguarded by extraordinarily high levels of Health and Safety requirements.

Areas that are awaiting development are clearly identified to the public and the good news is that the Planners have finally given us the go-ahead to start works this autumn.

The one thing visitors will notice is the noise of children laughing and having fun.

We consider the £10 for an adult with a child with no time limit is extremely good value for money, particularly as we also allow visitors to bring their own picnics.

All reviews
"birthday parties"
"staff were friendly"
"gloucester"

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is a good value day out for families with small children. The play barn is great, really big and airy with lots of variety and some big slides. Plenty for younger toddlers and babies as well, unlike many soft play places. A good range of animals and birds to look at too. Ok, so it's definitely not a slick, plastic theme park of a place. But it is friendly, down to earth and family oriented. And i would rather have that than anything else. Have been several times and will definitely be going again!

4  Thank SJV68
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We visited this farm park 2 days ago as we had some vouchers from a local newspaper to use (bogof on entry).

What was really great about our visit was the amazing soft play barn - it was huge! My girls (3) both had a fantastic time and we spent literally hours in here. The seating area was good, the dedicated indoor picnic area was a nice idea (although at the end of a slide, so not that quiet!) and I liked the fact that you could freely eat your own food (unlike many soft play centres).

As another visitor mentioned, both fire exits were open, one barricaded by a pile of large soft play bricks. One of my 3 year olds thought this was an extension of the small play area and tried to climb it. I am so pleased I was watching that particular twin at the time as that could have caused a nasty accident - of the head-meeting-concrete variety. The fire exit at the far end had another temporary barricade which a little toddler almost pulled down on himself. The ventilation in the barn was nice, but I'd rather have doors closed than risk the safety of young children.

The staff and customer service aspect was excellent. Everyone we spoke to was incredibly friendly and helpful. The cafeteria was a very good size with plenty of room between tables - on a busier day those with buggies (even doubles!) would not have a problem. We didn't eat at the café as we'd brought our own picnic, but the menu looked reasonably priced. We did of course have some delicious ice cream, which for the quality was also very reasonable.

Now, I'd not been before so I am unsure of which bits have been redeveloped or if anything is still due to be redeveloped. There was a room where I went to find reptiles, but found broken and empty cages...apart from one that had a very sad looking turtle in it. If that was his permanent home I feel very distressed about that. I do hope it was a temporary measure for some reason.

In another little house we found some birds, rabbits guinea pigs etc who all looked happy and healthy. The hand washing room next to this lacked both soap and paper towels on the day we visited, so we had to have a trip to the (very small) bathroom in the main building to wash our hands properly.

I was a little disappointed with the toilet facilities. There were two female cubicles - located in the main building between the café and soft pay. The cubicles were tired looking, but the toilets themselves clean which was the main thing! The hand dryer worked intermittently (set it off twice with my elbow when washing my hands but it wouldn't work when anyone put their hands under it!!) and there were no paper towels. I wouldn't have liked to visit on a busy day with two newly toilet-trained twins as we ay have had a bit of a wait.

As for the rest of the farm, we walked up to the paddocks to see the ponies, donkeys, pigs and alpaca's then round to see the hens and another finger-nibbling donkey! All of the animals looked very well cared for and healthy which was nice.

We didn't have chance to have a tractor ride, or go to the animal petting session, go karting or the outdoor play area as I couldn't drag the girls out of soft play and away from the lovely face-painter, so I can't comment on those!

Would we visit again? To be honest I am just not sure. I am very pleased that I had the bogof vouchers, £13 for 4 people was fine, the soft play alone was worth all that money. I'm not sure that I'd be happy to pay double that amount though.

I did like the non-commercialisation and ruggedness of the family run business, I think that's a good selling point. With some attention to health and safety ( proper door barriers in play barn, toileting and hand washing facilities, hand sanitiser points with some gel in) and better signposting it could be improved.

On the whole though, we did have a nice day and my twins really enjoyed it, so thank you :)

4  Thank RMiles186284
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Saw this advertised in magazine given by our school.. some reviews on tripadviser made us wonder about going, however we drove an hour to get there and was pleasantly surrprised. It was clean and tidy for a farm, and my two girls both loved looking at the animals around the site and they loved being able to touch them. We did have a few rain showers and took refuge in the cafe and soft play. The entrance fee was reasonable, as it did cover more than just the soft play and the staff were helpful and friendly. Well worth a visit

1  Thank Vicky G
See more reviews
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I visited the Dick Whittington Farm Park with my daughter and 3 grand children aged 9, 7 and 4.
We paid 25 pounds for entry, which is just about reasonable, although i have been to similar places where the adult goes free.
The soft play area and cafeteria are in different areas of the same building. The cafeteria was not busy, and there was plenty of seating available in this area.
There are some knick knacks and miscellaneous toys etc laid out for sale on one side of the cafeteria area, and I must admit this looked a bit like a jumble sale.
The soft play area is very much like others i have seen, with a number of tables and seats available for parents etc.
I did note that that both fire exits were open, which is not a problem; i did however note that one of the exits had a table and chairs and some soft play blocks obstructing the exit, while the other had some sort of gate obstructing the exit. Poor.
The Nature Trail was not particularly well signposted although we did find our way round it. Despite some vague and contradictory signposting we also found our way to the ponds,
which was populated with some ducks and geese and Carp.
The karting track was disappointing. Although the track itself is a reasonable size for the pound-coin-operated electric cars, only one of the cars was any good. 2 of the cars are tractors and when we arrived at the track, a young girl was driving one of them and it was very slow. Her parents advised that the other tractor was equally slow and probably a waste of money. This meant that only one car was realistically available for use by the children.
So rather than my grand children being able to be on the track at the same time, they had to go one at a time, which was not so much fun for them, and also frustrating for the other children in the queue who wanted to go on a kart.
I would be more inclined to go here again if the pricing policy is reviewed. Charging for adult entry is probably deterring some people from visiting.
The company also needs to sort out the signage around the site. They should also commit to the karting area and do it properly or not bother.
Must try harder.