“Lovely short stay”

The Farmers Boy Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Longhope B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We booked for just one night, nice warm comfy room at the back of the inn with a very good en-suite shower.

The Inn itself is lovely, lots of atmosphere , olde world with beamed ceilings and a real open fire. We booked a table for our evening meal (recommended as it does get busy.) They specialize in locally made pies of which there are quite a few varieties. I opted for the Venison & Pheasant and my wife had the Steak topped with Black pudding.
Both went down really well, (although I wouldn't want to eat these too often with all that pastry !)

A couple of real ales at the bar helped to make a very good evening.
Breakfast was good and plentyful too, altogether a very nice experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
PhilKiernan, Owner at The Farmers Boy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Thank you for your kind words and i am delighted you enjoyed you short stay with us.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on Trip Adviser too.
Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Hope to see you soon in 2014.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed here with my friend after our annual Christmas shopping trip to Hereford, I am the one who forgot her toothbrush! I can guarantee you that if I went there today , Phil would have spare toothbrushes for guests who forget theirs. the whole experience was a delight, Hannah so friendly and welcoming , the rooms are just great, comfy beds, and all you need for a good nights sleep. We had a wonderful night with Phil and his family, Hannah and her family and chef! the food is great, the plates are a nice shape , the wine was cold, & its an old coaching inn so it oozes atmosphere and gets darker the deeper you explore! I highly recommend you stay here, its a destination in itself, and we will be back in the summer to enjoy the new facilities and another pie.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

The Crazy 2 from Wales. How could i forget....Amazing energy and lots of fun it was our pleasure to welcome you to our home. Your entertainment value was second to none ladies. "Spare Toothbrushes on the menu too. Cant wait to see you again.
Happy Christmas and have a Pietastic New Year.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

this is our third time at the FBI as usual Phil and the team gave the highest customer service you could ask for, we have also experienced staying a few months ago with our dog who was fussed over by everyone. can't praise the accommodation and the pub highly enough ,food is best we have had from an Inn and if you are planning to visit the forest of dean do try and stay at FBI or at least try the hospitality believe me you will not be dissappointed

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Top Marks for your review & Top Marks for taking the time to write to us.
Delighted that you had a great stay again and look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Merry Christmas

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We purchased a B&B deal via Groupon and what a find!!!. This was our first visit to the Forest of Dean and certainly will not be our last.
The rooms are chalet style within the grounds of the Inn. They are spacious, clean and well appointed. When shown to our room, we were told anything that you require over and above what's here let us know and we will do our best to accommodate you - can't say fairer than that!. The room itself had 2 beds joined to make a king size bed. A hairdryer was available. Tea, coffee making with biscuits. There was a bathroom with shower, gel, shampoo etc - small but everything you need. My only reason for not scoring excellent on sleep quality is that the council were digging up the road the night we stayed and they dug most of the night and I wasn't able to sleep (this is not the fault of the owners - naturally)
We decided to book the restaurant for our evening meal and are so glad we did. Firstly the owner and the team are so friendly. The Inn itself is wonderful - really "oldy worldy". We ordered starters of muscles and prawns - both were very nice - the only downside I would say is that they were fairly expensive for the portion size (I don't think they have quite got that right - small issue, but in comparison to other restaurants I'd say the starters are overpriced). For our main course, I ordered duck breast and my husband one of their pies - beautiful on both counts - main courses are large - in hindsight we didn't need the starters. The wine was really good. Without a doubt we will return, and spend a weekend here to enjoy the food.
The local area is scenic, and definitely we only saw a little of what was on offer.
There's a little shop with 'Mad about pies' brand of pies on the premises. We purchased a few pies - all of which were very nice - but not of the quality my husband had eaten in his meal - in fairness they were well priced and tasty - just no-where near as juicy or as meaty.
We had a lovely experience overall. Please try this restaurant/Inn - we will be back.
Thank you to everyone for a great weekend.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
PhilKiernan, Manager at The Farmers Boy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Thank You for your kind words. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the FBI. Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all from all the team.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for one night after our annual Christmas shopping trip to Hereford. We'd often driven past on our way home and decided to give it go. Firstly I need to say the staff are great! Really friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Hannah gave a very warm welcome and it's clear that her and Phil are a great team, sharing the same goal, which is to ensure everyone who visits has the best experience possible. Phil is energetic and hard working and says it how it is. He has a passion for his business which comes across in everything. Secondly, the room was very cosy and comfortable and contrary to what some other reviewers have said, very quiet. Now to the food! We both had the steak and Guinness and cauliflower pie with mashed potato and veggies. All of it was cooked really well, was piping hot and extremely tasty. We both had the smaller pie but it was still very substantial. From seeing what other diners were eating I have to say portions are extremely generous. We were able to go and choose our wine from the shop which was nice and Hannah was very knowledgeable about the stock. By the end of the evening we had met the whole family and it's clear that everyone who is connected with the pub loves it. Breakfast was tasty and filling and served very quickly. The only thing I would have changed would have been the mushrooms which I think were tinned (a personal dislike of mine). My friend forgot her toothbrush and after telling Phil he decided he would keep some behind the bar along with razors just in case another guest forgot in future. That sums Phil up - he just wants to keep on improving the Farmers Boy. All in all a fab night and we will definitely be back! Thanks to Phil, Manda, Hannah, Chef and the rest of the team for having us!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mrs_Whitcombe

Delight you had a great time at The Farmers Boy Inn. It was our pleasure to look after you and look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Happy New Year

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Really enjoyed our second stay last weekend. Management and staff are very welcoming and friendly and the food was excellent again. Superb standards delivered in a relaxed manner.
Can't wait for our next stay, thanks to you all.

Room Tip: We have stayed in two different rooms and both were good quality
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for you Kind words and hope you had a pietastic Christmas. We look forward to seeing you in 2014..

Reviewed November 23, 2013

To stay in a Country Pub/Inn was a first for me and if the standard of Country Pubs is anything like this one, it certainly won't be my last! The ambience of the Farmers Boy Inn is most certainly due to the owner Phil who has obviously imparted his infectious enthusiasm to his wonderful staff, I honestly felt that as soon as my husband and I walked into the pub and were greeted by Phil and the girls, we were going to enjoy our stay.
Dinner in the restaurant was absolutely superb! Food - brilliant, staff - friendly, service - efficient, atmosphere was brilliant, the log fire just added to the ambience. If I were to rate The Farmers Boy Inn, I would rate it as a five star

Ps the pies are absolutely fantastic! We left with four and as soon as I post this, I am going on-line to buy some more!

Room Tip: I'm not too sure any one of the rooms would be better than another, we were in room 5 of the cou...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
PhilKiernan, Owner at The Farmers Boy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

I promise this is not my Mum & Dad.
Thank you for your kind review, generous words and delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Farmers Boy. A return is a must and i look forward to seeing you in the new year. Have a Great Christmas.
Merry Christmas
Phil Kiernan Proprietor.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Longhope
The Speech House Hotel
#10 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye
Yew Tree Inn
Yew Tree Inn
#3 of 4 in Longhope

Been to The Farmers Boy Inn? Share your experiences!