“Stayed to attend a wedding - exceptional service”

Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Stayed to attend a wedding - exceptional service”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 2 night to attend a friends wedding. I found the staff to be exceptional, the hotel clean and fresh, the room comfortable and the food at Breakfast and during the wedding lovely.

My room was 422 which I was very happy with. I had friends in 428, 230, 238 and of course the Bride in 442. Everyone was very happy and comfortable. Suggestion: Look at the possibility of getting mini fridges in the rooms, or having them for hire at reception (you may already do this but I couldn't see on the website, and failed to remember to ask at reception), or maybe ice machines on each floor.

Again I will say, the staff are a credit to the hotel. Everyone I encountered from the reception staff, bar staff (shout out to Jorge), restaurant and event management staff and housekeeping staff were friendly, professional and helpful.

The food at breakfast was very tasty and fresh. The wedding breakfast was lovely, food was all HOT which was fab, steak cooked to perfection. Good selection at the bar. Suggestion: please stock some kind of mixed fruit cider, preferably Kopparberg, for when I revisit :)

I know the bride and groom loved every minute and they've already talked on Facebook of how impressed they were with the hotel. Personally from myself I felt welcome, comfortable and valued from the moment I stepped through the door to the moment I left. Thanks for a great stay, well done and keep up the good work :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
BowdenHall, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear jmw85

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review of the wedding you attended here at Bowden Hall. We were pleased to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us and that your experience was a memorable one.

Also thank you for sharing your wonderful photos with us on Trip Advisor. It’s always nice to see our guests enjoying themselves and it’s a great way to show future visitors as well as brides and grooms how lovely the hotel looks especially when set up for a wedding. It certainly looked effective and beautiful for a winter wedding.

We do have a few mini fridges available on request at reception so we could have provided these if needed. Perhaps for your next stay we can provide one for you in your room? :)

As mentioned in previous responses, we are exceptionally proud of our staff and the level of service and efficiency they continue to provide so we are glad you were looked after.

Should you visit us again in the future, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall Hotel.

Rebecca D Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Polish first
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location, with wonderful food on offer. The staff were very friendly and this was topped off with great value for money. What more could you want...............................

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

BowdenHall, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Allan M

Thank you for your comments.

We are pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. The friendliness of our staff and the level of service is something we are very proud of consistently delivering here at the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall Hotel.

Should you return to stay with us in the future, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Margate, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2013

After my experience I should have received a refund as I did not receive a good 4 star quality stay!

I left feedback with the manager through the hotel's feedback request and was given an apology. I didn't feel an apology was good enough!

My room was far too hot and unclean as well as dilapidated. I raised my concerns at checkout and was told I "should've"! NO you never tell a customer what they should have done! How rude!

The issues were:
1.The air cooler unit had blocked vents meaning it turned itself off after 5 minutes. Major issue in summer I'm sure but we stayed in autumn so did not expect to be woken up at night from the heat. It was obvious that staff noticed the room was too warm as they had to leave a window open fully to clean the room.
2. The room was not clean their were hairs (black ones) in the bathroom.
3. The tea tray was not restocked.
4. I was not greeted pleasantly at breakfast and was then seated in direct sunlight.
5. My evening food was stale.
6. I was told I should have called down to the desk at 3am for a maintenance of the fan or a room change - not really something one wants to do at 3am to get yourself dressed and find the phone in the pitch dark to call room service without waking your partner!
7. The room on closer inspection was missing architrave.

I was utterly Appalled as this was only a 1 night stay and I am now hounded by email offers by the hotel chain offering discounts and thanking me for staying - yet they leave me upset and disappointed as the hotel was beautiful. And the grounds were very well maintained.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sabrinapurchase
BowdenHall, General Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Sabrinapurchase

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay in October. I'm sorry to learn that your stay was not as enjoyable as I would have hoped.

Should you wish to return in the future, please contact me directly where I will be able to ensure that you have a preferential rate.

My email address is: 077gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk

Gavin Jones
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Great welcome at reception. Clean and tidy hotel.
Food was lovely, though the young waiter was not very knowledgeable about the menu.
Disappointed with the room which was tiny and not as expected/described for the price.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marie G
BowdenHall, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Marie G

Thank you for your comments.

Glad you enjoyed the food. We will happily put an extra effort into ensuring our bar and restaurant staff are more knowledgeable about the food or at the very least, offer to ask the Chef.

With regards to your room, we are sorry to read that you found it too small. The majority of our rooms are spacious enough to cater to everyone’s comfort. However, had you notified a member of our reception team at the time shortly after checking in, they may have been able to move you to another room.

We wish you well with your future travels.

Newcastle
Reviewed December 9, 2013

First and foremost, I have never stayed anywhere where the staff have been so helpful, attentive, and friendly - Breakfast service was exemplary, and all served really cheerfully. I asked for extra shower gel, and an ironing board - both times they were in the room before I got back! We booked a last minute weekend away, and had a really restful break. As it is the run up to Christmas, I was fully expecting the hotel to have some Christmas parties, and they did - but the hotel had ensured we were checked into a room as far from any potential noise to avoid disruption. We did not hear a thing. I have read other reviews - yes a couple of communal area carpets are a bit tired, but I understand they are in the process of being refreshed and replaced. The room was comfortable, clean, had perfect temperature, was spacious...maybe a little plain in decor, but hey - that is a minuscule observation set against everything else. Thoroughly recommended for an easy going weekend away in lovely surroundings

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank city1234
Dear city1234

Thank you for your lovely review.

We were very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us recently.

We endeavour to assist guests wherever possible so we were pleased to read that all your needs were met promptly and that you found our staff helpful. We were also pleased that the breakfast service was cheerfully led by our restaurant team.

Our Christmas parties are in full swing now and many of the party guests stay at the hotel therefore we always endeavour to room non-party guests in the quietest part of the hotel so as not to disturb their rest and we are pleased you were not affected by any noise.

As you correctly pointed out, the carpet in the communal areas are being replaced in the new year and the public areas are being freshened up too.

Should you visit us again, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This hotel may be old with limitations on certain facilities and soundproofing etc, but this is out-weighed by the charm, grandeur and character of the building, especially from the outside. Our stay overall and the food was excellent, and we enjoyed the location and atmosphere very much so will definitely be back.

The best part of the stay, however, was the service. All the staff we spoke to were excellent, but I would like to make special mention of Sue on reception who was exceptionally polite and helpful from the moment we arrived until departure, as she is a real credit to the hotel with her can-do attitude. Sue couldn’t have done any more to make our stay perfect, so thanks for a job very well done.

When you compare the prices of similar hotels, I think this place is excellent value and very comfortable. Having experienced so much bad service all over the country, when we find a team that put in the extra effort to make us feel welcome and relaxed then we tend to return as we rank good service above mod-cons.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GuyK024
Dear GuyK024

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel.

We were glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was kind of you to point out that the age and style of the hotel along with its location and setting was appealing to you and added to your enjoyment. We feel its grounds and situation definitely add to that tucked away tranquil feel that many guests seek and it is perfectly located for exploring the idyllic Cotswolds, the city of Gloucester and the regency town of Cheltenham.

Thank you also for the comparison to other hotels of a similar calibre. As you point out, what makes a hotel stand out from the rest is the staff member s, comfort and good quality of food.
I have passed on your kind comments to our receptionist Sue. We are extremely proud of our team here at Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall and we aim to continue with the level of service we provide for all our guests that ensure their stay is unique and memorable.

We are pleased that you will be returning to stay with us again and we very much hope your next stay is as pleasant as this one was.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Upton St Leonards
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
De Vere Cotswold Water Park
#1 of 1 in South Cerney
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,429 reviews

Been to Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!