“Wonderful place for a wedding”

Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I had my school prom at this hotel back in 2008 and I knew then that I wanted my wedding here, so when my husband proposed in May 2011, Bowden was our first and only choice! Its a beautiful place, surrounded by amazing grounds with a lake at the end, the perfect scene for photos. The lady we worked with, Kaytie, was very helpful with all the planning and final details. Giovanni was our chef for our food tasting night and he made that night very special, we very much enjoyed the food and he was so helpful, especially when it came to allergies and dietary needs and took our fears away. When it came to our wedding day, Rachel was in charge and she made sure that the day went smoothly. And it did. We had such a wonderful day.
We were married in the Lakeside Suite and had our evening reception in there too. Personally, this is the best room as the whole place is our own for the night, we have our own bar and toilets.
Me and my mum stayed at Bowden the night before the wedding and we were on top floor, its quite a walk up there as there is no lift but the room was great and spacious. The morning of the wedding we were able to move into the four poster room, the bridal suite, quite early to get ready and have photos. The four poster room is an amazing room, very large and a comfy bed, my husband loved this room.
Bowden Hall was very accommodating for my grandparents who had a room on first floor and were able to go straight into their room when they arrived at the hotel BEFORE check in time as we requested because my grandfather has an illness.
Breakfast was nice, we had a cooked breakfast but there is a good variety of fruit and cereals.
Overall, I think Bowden Hall Hotel is a great venue for a wedding and a great place to stay at. We loved every minute of our day and we thank you for making it special!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BowdenHall, General Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

I very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that you all had a great and relaxing time with us. We are indeed a great wedding venue as well as a place to have a relaxing weekend. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and I hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall very soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Spent three nights with friends and had an overall positive experience with some small areas of concern that would stop us from giving a wholehearted endorsement. Front desk welcome was excellent and no problems with check in and hotel did its best to help with getting three rooms close together, all much appreciated. breakfast buffet was fine, standard UK fare and exactly the same as a Ramada Plaza we stayed at in Gatwick. In addition to regular hot items, eggs/bacon/sausage/ beens/ mushrooms/ black pudding it included cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit and pastries. perfectly fine without being spectacular spread. One small item irritated one of the party, no decaf tea available, surprising for a hotel that bills itself as a four star. First day was a Sunday morning so we figured it may just have been a case of running out on the weekend but we asked every day and by Tuesday they still had not got any decaf tea. Hotel has a nice atmosphere of quiet elegance about it but some areas of housekeeping could do with attention, we had mildew on the grouting of our bathroom tiles and mildew marks above the doorway, mildew that came of when I rubbed it with my wet fingers, so its just a matter of cleaning. The windows had some grubby fingermarks, the front door we especially noted and the glass in the fire door near our room had not been cleaned in a while. Small thing we noted, we had afternoon tea in the lounge one day, went for a walk around the lovely lawns and pond and returned about an hour later to find the dirty cups and saucers still on the table, which we then collected and cleared off ourselves. Overall good value for money, staff very pleasant and helpful but a few eyebrow raisers that would prevent us for being 100% happy

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nigel E

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay at Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall Hotel. We really do appreciate such constructive feedback from our guests.

It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, however I am sorry that our service did not appear to be up to our normally high standards. I will discuss this with the team to ensure that we take any action necessary for the future and I do hope that this did not cause you any inconvenience at the time.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Just returned from a lovely week-end at this hotel, The location is superb with sweeping lawns leading down to a picturesque lake. There was a wedding taking place and what a back-drop for the photographs! We were warmly welcomed by the reception staff and given directions to our room.. There isn`t a lift so ask for ground floor rooms if you have difficulty in climbing stairs. Our room was spacious and extremely comfortable. We had tea on the terrace overlooking the well-kept lawns and the weather was glorious. We didn`t have dinner so I can`t comment but the breakfast was superb. With breakfast served until 11am at week-ends this was music to our ears.My husband and I go away for a rest but with some hotels finishing breakfast at 9.30 there`s no lie-in. We sauntered down at about 10.15 and helped ourselves to the buffet breakfast. Everything was beautifully fresh with delicious locally sourced bacon,sausages and eggs and certainly not `dried up` as one reviewer described. The staff are very pleasant and attentive and don`t make you feel you have to rush. Having thoroughly enjoyed our leisurely breakfast we sat on the terrace one last time before making tracks for home having a great relaxing week-end

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lawns
1  Thank MargSomerset
BowdenHall, General Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review on trip advisor after your recent visit to Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall.

The location and grounds are truly stunning and are perfect for exploring the Cotswolds.
We have a Stannah Stair Lift to the 1st floor of the hotel for those with special needs/requirements and all luggage can be carried to rooms from reception.

We pride ourselves on our level of service and the quality of the food and am pleased you though everything to be beautifully fresh and delicious. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

This hotel is very well run indeed. The standard of management is high and the quality of staff in all departments is exceptional - not found in many establishments these days.
Our visit comprised a touring party (over 45 of us), with arrangements having been established over a good number of months. Nothing was too much trouble for those facilitating our visit, ensuring that the needs of our party were met to the full. Even last minute changes to accommodate special requirements and room needs were handled most efficiently. On the first day, after a lunchtime drop off of luggage, we returned to the hotel in the evening with key cards all waiting for us and luggage having been efficiently delivered to all rooms.
The Table d'Hote Menu was varied throughout the week. Mostly this was well received and beautifully presented. Quality and quantities were good. Restaurant staff were efficient and friendly. There was some slight congestion because of numbers but generally not unacceptable. Breakfast was help yourself buffet style with the usual varied selection of hot and cold food. Staff again were friendly and efficient, cleared when needed and ensured that everyone had as much as they wanted.
Choice of evening meal was made after breakfast. This was slightly disjointed and inconsistent during the week but this did not inconvenience our party nor our daily arrangements.
As will be found in other reviews it should be noted that the hotel is a former country mansion with four storeys and does not have a lift. However there is a Stannah lift for those with special needs leading to the first floor where there are a significant number of rooms should you so require one. Many rooms also do not have air conditioning but room fans are supplied.
Types of room vary so it is suggested you make it clear what it is that you are looking for during your stay.
The surroundings are beautiful with lovely walks to be had in the grounds and the nearby village. The M5 is quite close and whilst you can hear the drone of traffic if you are outside or you have a window open it is not too intrusive.
Guests were also welcome to use the leisure facilities on the site and a room was put aside in the evening for our party's exclusive use.
Considering everything this was a most enjoyable place to stay for a week and is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the large lawn and pond.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

We have a great team at the hotel and I’m glad that you found all members of staff to be friendly and professional. We pride ourselves on our level of service and the quality of the food.

There are indeed 4 stories to this beautiful building, as mentioned there is a Stannah to the 1st floor and luggage can be taken to rooms from reception for guests.

We have had air conditioning fitted in 20 of the bedrooms over the last couple of weeks which is being welcomed by many.

The hotel is conveniently situated for the M5 – just 2.5 miles away, perfect for seeing the Cotswolds, Gloucester & Cheltenham.

Thank you for your high recommendation.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel previously and the location is great for me personally, although for a night weekend away it is located close to the motorway.

Regency building set in its own grounds, ideal wedding venue

When I stayed previously I was in a more modern room, on this occasion it was an older style room, but both were spacious, with comfortable beds and clean. Obviously being an older property there isn't any air con in the rooms, although there were fans provided in the room.

I arrived ahead of my partner, I did have a drink in the lounge and then had room service for my food....food was really good definitely recommend their fillet steak and considering it had to be delivered up four flights of stairs it was piping hot on arrival.

Breakfast was a help yourself hot and cold buffet....no matter how hard I try I always end up rating hotels on their breakfasts (fried eggs) and theirs was very good

Only downside to the hotel is that they need to re stretch some of the carpets....felt like a skating ramp in a few areas! Although I am sure this well be dealt with as the hotel hasn't long exchanged hands (previously a Ramada now a Mecure)

Overall defo be staying again.

Room Tip: If you are not too good on your legs advise the hotel, I consider myself quite fit but it did get ti...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your kind comments and time to submit your feedback to Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased to hear that you thought the breakfast to be very good and the fillet steak worth recommending - We pride ourselves on the quality and service we provide to our guests and the comments regarding the food are very pleasing

As we are now a Mercure branded hotel there are several plans in place to for updating several areas of the hotel. We have had air conditioning fitted in 20 of the bedrooms over the last couple of weeks which will I am sure please many!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

It is only 5 miles to the Bowden Hall hotel from Gloucester, but Upton St Leonards is very much a Cotswolds location.
This Regency ( C18th ) property with stunning parkland, and its own pond (with laid back ducks), is a gem. Along with the sympathetic later additions to this property it is not a modernized empty shell, but a real find, there are many original features, which means that the interior has grand staircases, and reception rooms together with an attractive dining room. Conversely the hotel is a bit of a rabbit warren. GPS would have been welcome.
Our room at the top of the Hotel was attractive, functional and had all we needed , although it was very warm. The hotel had already left a fan for this reason.
The view from our room was in keeping with the location very rural, and we had fun watching the squirrels, rabbits and songbirds playing in the steep field outside.

The front of Bowden Hall has a a short drive winding up a small hill, which gives a welcoming view of this early C18 property. The white frontage, and beautiful gardens, make this a special place for romantic weekends, and particularly for weddings. There was a wedding whilst we were there, but apart from seeing the bride having photos outside in the early September sunshine, it in no way impacted on our stay. The special grounds must have really added to her day.

The restaurant has real atmosphere, and many features, as well as great views over the very mature parkland gardens.
Good menu, excellent service and enjoyable night.

Not many hotels have a pond, and this was just lovely in the sunshine, with the ducks and we enjoyed just soaking up the sunshine watching them.

Really enjoyable stay.

1  Thank cherriesfan_9
BowdenHall, General Manager at Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Cherriesfan_9

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review regarding your recent stay at The Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall Hotel.

I am glad that you find our hotel to your liking and must agree if the hotel was too modern it would take away the feel of the Regency Property within a rural setting.

It's great to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay with and we hope you will consider returning for another stay in the near future.

Regards

Gavin

Reviewed September 1, 2012

This hotel is a bit of the beaten track as it were and we were glad that we had opted for half board - not something we never do but it was a good deal.

This is an old building therefore guests have to accept that the layout is not the same as a conventional modern hotel with lifts and straight corridors. We were on the top floor in a room which appeared to be the furthest from reception but this was not a problem. We were offered help with luggage but declined.

The room was a decent size; large bed with comfy bedding and a small window as you would expect from the location of the room. A fan had been left in the room but it did get quite stuffy despite it not being particularly warm/hot outside. I don't think it was worthy of complaint though.

We opted for the £22 three course set menu which was included in our price deal. We could have paid extra for a la carte but the menu was quite pricey to be honest. Service was good with courteous young staff. Food was served very quickly which is not always a positive point as it suggests it is not cooked to order. The meal was adequate only and left a lot to be desired for. I would have been disappointed if I had paid the full price as I don't think it was that good. We both had 'Pork with a mustard sauce, roasted veg and saute potatoes'. The pork was disappointingly a rather tough pork chop and the vegetables amounted to a heaped tablespoon of diced veg. I would normally have complained and yes, I should have. Luckily we were not starving! I had a baked cheesecake which was very dry and most of it left uneaten. Drinks were also very pricey and we opted out of the usual bottle of wine because of this. Again, I was glad we did this because the meal was not the fine dining experience I had expected. Half way through our meal, the restaurant became extremely busy with around a party of 20 or so males. It became quite noisy but I must stress they were not rowdy or a problem – it was the volume of people that created such a noise. One problem for me though was the seating because once this party was in the restaurant, the waiting staff kept knocking my seat as they were serving the table of gentlemen behind me. The guests also chose this route as a path to walk back and for and it became very unpleasant for me with constant bashing against my chair. We ended up moving the table ourselves but the experience was somewhat spoilt particularly as nobody seemed to notice and therefore no apologies! To be honest, a pub meal we had the night before at less than half the price knocked spots of this and turned out to be a far better dining experience.

Breakfast was a better experience and unlike a previous reviewer I thought that the buffet offerings were ok in the main - although I suggest a better quality of bacon as this was full of fat, stringy and clearly a cheap choice.

Checkout was ok but I was surprised that we weren’t asked the usual hotel question of ‘how was your stay’.

I don’t think I shall stay here again but mainly because of hotel’s remoteness from good pubs/eating places as I would not want to eat in again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

19 Nurse

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your full expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We always appreciate constructive feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Mercure Gloucester Bowden Hall Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Regards

Hilton Puckrup Hall, Tewkesbury
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
#3 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!