“Great for a wedding - superb food”
Review of Hatton Court Hotel

Hatton Court Hotel
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We chose the location for our wedding and was not disappointed despite the re-furb that was going on. The whole event ran smoothly and the staff were very attentive and professional at all times. The room was spacious but lacked light for make-up and beauty treatments. A new chef had recently joined and we took up the offer of sampling the wedding breakfast to be and were very impressed. All guests from our party commented very faviourably about the whole wedding breakfast. The lamb was superburb - the best we have ever had. Full compliments to the chef and his staff. We were very impressed also with the staff being so friendly and helpful and for making our day so special. Thank you.

• Stayed: November 2008
Write a ReviewReviews (1,393)

Reviewed April 22, 2009

The hotel was on the hill in Upton St Leonards with great views overlooking Gloucester and the River Severn. Its location is ideal for the Cotswolds. The Hotel was clean and well represented, the room was of a good size and spotless, and the staff were friendly and very helpful. The quality of the evening meal in the restaurant was excellent and varied as was the breakfast (With the traditional full English being rather good). I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone holidaying in the Cotswolds P.S. One small negative comment on room 26 which had some sought of air conditioning unit on the bathroom roof . This seemed to be on 24hrs a day and unfortunately caused a low thrumming noise to pervade the whole room.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TACColchester
Reviewed April 16, 2009

We got a FANTASTIC deal via the hotel - champagne break (2 nights for two, bottle of champagne on arrival, dinner bed & breakfast - £180!). Lovely location - ideal for travelling around Cotwolds countryside. Very close to Gloucester and Cheltenham. Infact, we went for a drive and ended up in Somerset and Wiltshire! Bath is 30 miles away too. Great location, very scenic. The staff were great - very friendly, professional and attentive. The food was absolutely fantastic - presented wonderfully and tasted equally as wonderful! In the deal you got £27 pp for dinner - if you went over it got added to your room bill. We only went a bit over. Breakfast was fab - lovely continental, lots of choice, and healthy cooked English in addition ( you could also choose salmon, etc, instead of a full English).
Our room was in the annex - lovely view. Very traditional Cotswolds decor - nice and cosy - superb bathroom - huge bath! It was a standard room too. Spotlessly clean, especially the bathroom. We would definitely recommend this place and would go back. People get married here - there was a lovely marquee in the garden.
Any questions drop me a line. Hope you enjoy it!

2  Thank FITZGIB
Reviewed April 15, 2009

My husband has a knack of choosing good hotels and we were not disappointed this time. We were greeted very warmly on arrival and the friendliness and efficiency of the staff remained the same throughout our visit. Our bedroom was in the 'annex' and was clean, well decorated and well appointed. The public rooms were very welcoming but the dining room had the most amazing views over the Severn valley into Wales. If you are lucky, as we were, you are treated to beautiful sunsets. The food served at dinner was superb. Unfortunately we never reached the puddings but they did look delicious. Breakfast was served part buffet style with hot dishes cooked to order. The service at all times was efficient but not over attentive. All in all a most pleasant stay.

Reviewed April 12, 2009

It looked nice when we drove in although I'm glad we were in the 4x4 as the potholes in the drive were huge. No one in reception and no bell to ring. Someone appeared eventually and checked us in. A room in the more modern annexe. Only problem was that it was on the third floor + steep steps to front door of annexe from reception and we had a heavy case as we were touring, and no lift.
The room was not big. The bathroom was reasonable with a large corner bath with shower over. CRT TV with limited channels. Iron and ironing board in cupboard ( my wife wants to get away from that when we are away) Tea and coffee + bottled water. To say the room was tired would be being kind. It should probably have been retired.
The package included a bottle of champagne in the room on arrival. It wasn't there. I asked at reception and after quizzing me about why it wasn't there she said one would be brought up. It came about 10 minutes later but was warmish although in an ice bucket. we left it half an hour then opened it. We both like champagne but I can honestly say that this is the only bottle that we have left. It was dire.
I tried to log on to the WiFi to check emails but at £5 for half an hour I thought they could wait.
We went for a walk in the 37 acres of gardens that are advertised on the website. We could only find aout 2 acres, and much of that was filled by a marquee that they were preparing for wedding parties.Even though the M5 must be a mile or so away it is very noisy.
Dinner, again included in the package, was not good. I had a canellonni starter which, although tasty, looked as though it had been standing for ages on the hot plate. My wife had crab cakes and she said "where's the crab, they just taste of potato". The waitress told us that the special was lambs liver. My wife loves lambs liver and order it. I stuck to the braised beef in red wine sauce. "It's like leather" said my wife as she tried to eat the liver, "and they have put my veg on the plate" No silver service here. My beef was not much better, again being plated and looking as though it had been under the hot lights for some time. There were only two waitresses serving perhaps twenty five guests and service was not quick. The highlight of the evening was one of the waitresses who was a spitting image of Julie Walters in her role as a waitress in Victoria Wood on TV. Watch the video here [--]
Breakfast was good but again the chef had pre-prepared everything and the bacon was curling at the edges.
We won't be going again

Reviewed March 23, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this lovely hotel on a Spring Break deal which was for an Executive Room with Champagne on arrival and dinner on both nights. The Hotel was lovely in a secluded spot, our room was in an annex just a few paces and up 12 steep steps from the main reception. Check in was fast and efficient and the champagne was waiting in our room and nicely chilled, The room was OK with a whirlpool bath but I'm not sure that I actually got an 'executive' room, it was not particularly spacious and the bed was disappointingly two single beds joined together with two single mattresses and the inevitable ridge down the middle of the bed, not what I would call 'executive'.
The food and service were both excellent although the barman was expected to multi task and was often missing for long periods of time. Amusingly, when asked by another guest such a simple question as what time breakfast was served he did not know the answer although to his credit he soon went to reception and found out (I guess he was new!)
I would definitely return to this hotel but would think twice before paying extra for an executive room

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2009

Once again I found myself staying at the Hatton Court Hotel, I did not have a choice. I stayed here last year and was very critical in my review. However this year it was a different experience all together. Very friendly and professional staff, great renovation of the bar and dining room. Breakfast was delicious and super fast. The whole place just seems more together and I had a very satisfactory stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Upton St Leonards
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
1 mi away
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
Hallmark Hotel Gloucester
#6 of 21 in Gloucester

Been to Hatton Court Hotel? Share your experiences!