“Valentine Weekend”

Hatton Court Hotel
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Valentine Weekend”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We chose Hatton Court from the internet for a Valentine weekend away. We were warmly welcomed when we got there on the Friday evening. The room was small but clean. The bed, however was a small double and too small for myself and my husband to sleep comfortably. The small notice on the writing desk intimated that there was a mini bar/fridge in the room but this turned out not to be true!
We had a three course meal and a four course valentine meal included in the price. The only difference in the number of courses was in fact an amuse bouche. This, in my opinion should not be described as a 'course'. The quality of the food on both evenings was mixed. The starters were lovely but I had the fish on the first evening which appeared to have been sitting under a heat lamp for far too long. The size of the portions was on the small side - large enough for my small appetite but not enough for my husband. In contrast, breakfast was wonderful - cooked to order and accompanied by a buffet which included all you could want.

2 Thank Karen D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Alton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We booked a Winter Warmer break having previously stayed the sister hotel, The Snooty Fox. Hatton Court was okay but nowhere near as good as The Snooty Fox. The room (executive) was in an annex and was quite small. It was lovely and warm, however and very clean and had a largish bathroom with a jacuzzi bath. The sheets and towels were of good quality.
We found some of the staff rather frosty and not particularly helpful at the reception desk.
When we went for dinner on the first night we ordered in the bar and sat for ages waiting to be taken to our table. Eventually we decided to go through by ourselves and were told, in no uncertain terms by a member of staff to 'go back and wait in the bar'!!!! Great!
The food was the main disappointment. At dinner was a set menu only available both nights and though we were assured that it would change, most dishes were the same. The food was very fancily presented but lacking in substance; the quantity of meat/fish on the mains was tiny.
At breakfast we were given very burnt toast and uncooked poached eggs. The breakfast buffet was not replenished after about 8.45.
We noticed lots of advertising around the hotel for 'all in' wedding packages and the marquee in the grounds appeared to be permanent. We can only assume that this is the hotel's priority and not regular guests.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanna79, General Manager at Hatton Court Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you found many aspects of your stay very positive. The Hatton Collection is an eclectic group that offers something for everyone. At Hatton Court we have a fine dining approach to food and this does take time. Weddings are very popular at Hatton Court, corporate guests, leisure breaks and couples are also very popular.
Launceston, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We found Hatton Court on a website for the Cotswolds. We booked a winter warmer getaway. This package was two nights bed and breakfast with a 5 course dinner the first night and a 3 course the second night. Also included was a free bottle of Champagne which was waiting for us in our room plus complimentry bottled water and real milk in the fridge. There was hot chocolate and cookies on arrival which unfortunately we didnt have or the cream tea if you stayed 2 nights or more but I am sure if we had asked they would have been provided. The room was in the new annexe and was a good size,a huge bed, warm, cosy, tea and coffee on hand, bath robes, hair dryer, lovely jacuzzi bath the list could just go on!
The chef is obviously working hard on the food that is being served as it was delicious just could do a bit better with his chocolate pudding not enough chocolate and not sticky enough. The breakfast menu was good as was the full english breakfast and so much choice.
All the staff we met were lovely very polite and helpful.
For the money we paid we thought there maybe a catch but there just wasn't!
I would recommend Hatton Court to anybody and we look forward to returning as soon as we can.

1 Thank 489PaulaB
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We had stayed at this hotel in the 1990s and have great memories but on this trip which was booked through "Luxury for Less" we paid for a Superior Room. We were warmly greeted by the reception staff who gave us a key for room 16. When we arrived in the room we were horrified. The wallpaper was peeling, the light fittings and other fittings were shabby, the windows were very dirty, most horizontal surfaces had dust on them. The bathroom was pokey and shabby. There was no curtain at the bathroom window despite there being a curtain rail. The badly mattressed 4ft 6inch bed looked cheap. A trouser press could not be accessed without moving the radiator or table. Had we not paid in advance we would have left straight away. We complained but were told that the hotel was full. After asking for the manager (who wasn't on duty) the receptionist moved us to room 44 in the new wing. This room was the opposite - clean and tidy . It was called an executive room but it was just a good standard room - the sort that any traveller should expect in the 21st century. Even then the lighting was badly designed. It was very dark and at 6.45pm on a Saturday the bath water was not hot.

All the hotel staff were very friendly and efficient although the meals and 'pre-dinner drinks' were not as advertised. There seems to be confusion between 'amuse bouche' and 'hors d'oeuvres' - one of which we didn't get. Also having poached eggs broken and swimming around the plate was not good.The dinning room is very pleasant even if the background music needs editing. The food was good but not great (a little on the small portion side).The bar needs a lighting designer and a makeover.

We were overcharged on check out but this was quickly rectified and apologies given.

I hate complaining but take it as a direct insult when presented with a room like room 16. When will we British learn to constantly provide a good service industry.

Room Tip: To be safe ask for a room in the extension although I do believe that some rooms in the main house a...
1 Thank Elvis78rpm
Thank you for your review and photographs. I am sorry that you felt our rooms were not to standard. The hotel is going through a major refurbishment program, unfortunately we have a few rooms still to complete, these will be completed very soon. Our rooms our all priced accordingly and still offer great value, I am delighted that my Reception Manager/Duty Manager upgraded you and I am sorry I was unavailable when you asked.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

What can I say, we have stayed at Hatton Court a few times now and this has been the worse stay we have had. Where shall I start? On arrival we were given our key; the reception staff were very nice as usual. We were told we were in room 11 in the main building. We went to our room and this is where things started to go downhill. The room was old and tired with old fashioned double glazing which did not close properly so the room was freezing cold. We had a loud droning noise which was unbearable it was so loud that you could hear it in the corridor outside our room which I suspect the other guests could here as well. My husband went down stairs to ask to be moved only to be told that there weren’t any rooms and that it was the extractor fan from the kitchen and that it would be turned off as soon as they could possibly do so. So we unpacked and got ready for our evening meal.
We went down to the restaurant we were seated and things went well, the meal was very nice. After our meal we went into the bar as we didn’t want to go back to our room to that horrible noise. The bar staff were very nice and the evening went well. We went back to our room at midnight. Our room was so cold as the heating had gone off. On the plus side the noise from the fans had stopped. We went to bed. Only to find that we had a bright amber light from outside shining through our window even though the curtains were closed this light stayed on till 3am I know this as I didn’t sleep till it was switched off. Perhaps this could be switched off a lot earlier so guests can sleep. I was woken the next day at 7am with the bed shaking as the extractor fan in the kitchen was switched on I could not believe it our draws shook and rattled when closed so we had to open the draws to stop it. This is not what I would expect for a restful weekend a way. We went down to breakfast we were given the menu and told we could help ourselves to juice and cereal etc. we ordered our breakfast and went to help our self’s. We went back to the table to enjoy what we had chosen within seconds of sitting down our cooked breakfast was plonked down in front of us we didn’t have chance to eat our cereal etc. we were not the only ones who had the same problem. I felt like we were being rushed not nice at all this has never happened before when we stayed here very disappointed. The rest of our day went well we didn’t say in our room as the noise was just too much.
However on the evening we went for our meal in the restaurant, we were seated and asked if we would like something to drink we asked for water it never came, we had to ask again this time it came and was just plonked on the table and left, were other guests had there’s poured out for them. We had ordered our food and had only been sat down a few seconds when we had two starters brought out to us which weren’t ours. We told the waitress and she took them away. We sat and waited and waited for our starters, a couple came and sat down beside use and ordered and they got their starters before us, well I say this but I believe that they got our starters as when ours came out a half an hour late they were wrong. The starters was sent back and we got what we ordered but it wasn’t that nice very bland. Our mains were sent out, we had ordered pork it was very fatty not nice at all. I didn’t bother with a pudding just a liquor coffee. On drinking the coffee I notice that the glass was chipped quite badly we told the waitress and she said I should have told her sooner she would have got me a new glass. I didn’t notice it till I had finished I was very lucky I could have cut my mouth. I shouldn’t have had the broken glass in the first place! All in all our stay wasn’t a good one. I have never written a review but I had to this time. You say you take things on board when we complained but reading the reviews tells me a different story as the same complaints come up time and again. Also please clean the vents in the bathroom as they were filthy.

Room Tip: Book rooms in the new block not in the main hotel and don't have room 11 to 15, you wont get a...
5 Thank BlissfulGifts
Shanna79, General Manager at Hatton Court Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read that your stay was not to our normal high standard. I would have like the opportunity to discuss your issues further. As you will read our guests rate our food and beverage quality very highly, I am disappointed that this was not your opinion. As you noted the hotel has had a refurbishment, the remaining rooms will be completed very soon.
As with all the negative reviews I would like to have had the opportunity to talk through your points with you.
Please contact me on 01452 617412 if you wish to discuss the issues in depth.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

As a party of four, we had an excellent overnight stay. Yes, it is a little worn around the edges, but it was so inviting and sincere. The staff could not have done more to make our stay enjoyable. Based on earlier reviews we upgraded to superior rooms which were excellent. The evening meal was of a very good standard. There was a wide choice of interesting dishes and we had no complaints whatsoever, either in the quality of the food or the service provided. There was a problem at breakfast with cold food for which the staff were very apologetic (problems with building work/moving the kitchen?). No sooner had we brought the problem to their attention and the apology received, our bill was amended and the cost of the breakfasts removed.
For a weekend break, the Hatton Court Hotel is an ideal getaway in the Cotswolds.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay here. Staff are young, personable and with characterful. Food was very good, well-thought through menus. Room was spacious. No complaints here. We would go back again. Elderly or infirm should be aware that there are steep steps to get to some of the rooms.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Upton St Leonards
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
#8 of 21 in Gloucester
Stonehouse Court
Stonehouse Court
#1 of 2 in Stonehouse

Been to Hatton Court Hotel? Share your experiences!