“sorry to see the Churchill has closed”
Review of The Churchill Arms

The Churchill Arms
Ranked #2 of 3 Paxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We were very sorry to see that the Churchill has recently closed. My husband and I have had many good meals and pleasant evenings there over the past 7 years. Let's hope someone else soon takes it over.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Elizabeth1558

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Wanting to try somewhere different myself & my boyfriend braved the wind & the rain to visit the Churchill arms & thankfully it was worth it. It's a quintessential cotswold pub but with food of an excellent standard - I had cauliflower soup to start with little pieces of cheese on toast & that was really yummy. For main I ordered lamb - it came slightly more done then I would have preferred but that was my fault as I didn't specify that I like it pink. My boyfriends steak however was cooked to perfection. We really enjoyed our food & the service was polite & professional we're already looking forward to going back!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We gave them less than 24hrs notice to book a table for 12 for Sunday lunch between Christmas and New Year and after a slight hesitation, no problem provided we arrived at 12pm and possibly had to have 2x tables of 6.
As it turned out, they accommodated us on 1 long table which was ideal. The landlord and staff couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant. Good selection of beer.
The food was excellent and the only complaint was that the children's portions were as large as the adults!! Mainly went for the beef which was obviously off a freshly roasted wing joint, very tasty and large Yorkshire pud! The f&c's, risotto etc were equally as good and the puddings good. Slightly disappointed by the cheeseboard which, for the price, didn't seem good value but was ok.
The pub filled up to heaving and the staff still coped well. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Did not stay
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Badgerisimus
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I took a chance and booked the Churchill Arms through Booking.com for three days & two nights. It was a fabulous surprise! I was extremely satisfied with the accommodations and service. The owners should advertise their food because their chef turned out meals that are comparable to a high-class restaurant, without having to dress up! I could not believe my luck and never expected such excellent cuisine in the middle of the English countryside. The presentation of each dish was superb; the lamb was "melt in your mouth" delicious, the salads, the vegetables, the meats, the desserts and the wine were simply fabulous! The pub is friendly and welcoming. The full English breakfast provided in the price was scrumptious and filling, enough to last you all day while site seeing. My room was comfortable and clean, with a view of pastoral scenery that made for lovely photos. The owner, waiters, barman and chef were friendly, courteous and helpful. Moreover, there is a nice story behind its name. This was one of the highlights of my travels. I highly recommend staying at the Churchill Arms!
Sincerely, Beverley C, Montreal, Canada

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the countryside and sunset...wow! Although it faces the street, there is no n...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Beverley C
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We had lunch at the Churchill a couple of times a little while ago and really enjoyed it, so our expectations were high when we went back today. It felt as though things had changed. Although by no means full, it took some time for our food to be served. My husband was very disappointed with his fish and chips - and in hindsight he should have asked when ordering what kind of fish it was. From the shape, it certainly looked like it was a frozen and pre battered piece of something. I, however, fared much better with my choice of food. The bill when it came was a bit of a surprise - we had been charged for 2 of everything we had eaten, so it was clear no-one had 'sense checked' it before presenting it to us. By no means a disaster but we won't rush back

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn E
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were recommended the Churchill and we were not dissappointed. The pub itself is very well presented and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. The food was top class. A very enjoyable evening and will definitely return

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steve c
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here on business recently, slightly odd as you can't check in between 3pm and 6pm....but that's ok we can all work round that. I arrived at 6.15pm and met a friend for dinner, I checked in and dropped my "stuff" in my room, which was pleasant and clean. A lovely view overlooking the tiny church (or infant school 1900 as it states on the door?). Food was great (whitebait, followed by lamb...and cheese/biscuits to finish), and a few pints of the local brew and off to bed. Breakfast was magnificent, I have to say that this is one of the best I have ever eaten, simple but every ingredient was of top quality and perfectly cooked. I will stay here again when in the area and would recommend to anyone needing a base in the Cotswolds......just make sure you have the full English breakfast, it's worth the trip just for this! Also, a word for our waiter/barman who's name escapes me...he has just moved to the area and it was his 3rd day in the job. A nice guy and very helpful/patient!

Room Tip: Have the English Breakfast!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael_1271994

Been to The Churchill Arms? Share your experiences!