“Wish I could've stayed forever”

Samurai Beach Bungalows - Port Stephens YHA
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Can't rate my experience at this hostel highly enough. We arrived on a Saturday morning expecting to stay for a two day tour in Port Stephens, four months later we still hadn't left!
Initially we loved the place because of the chilled 'at one with nature' vibe. When we arrived we were greeted by Sandy who was so warm and welcoming. We were shown to our doorm which was great, really clean, really comfy beds (in fact the most comfortable bunk bed ive slept in...ever!). Then we saw the amazing outdoor kitchen, equipped with every appliance you could need, a huge bbq, microwave, pots pans and even a friendly kookabburra to keep you company. We could relax by the lovely pool on the sun loungers, borrow bikes from the hostel and cycle through the national park, socialise in the games room, hang around in hammocks and even borrow sand boards and boogie board from the hostel for free! Not to mention all the beaches, hikes and pizza nights! This hostel has the best atmosphere where every quirky talent is valued, everyone is appreciated and everyone is considered family. Samauri Beach Bungalows is a home away from home and a little piece of paradise.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Samurai Beach Bungalows - Port Stephens YHA

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed here two nights, and although we were not there much it is a very unique place and the people are super friendly. The jungle setting is wonderful, plenty of spiders around so prepare for that, but it was a great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Was the best place to stay on our journey. If we had found this beauty in the beginning, we had not traveled the whole continent, we would had let the time flow only at port Stephens samurai beach :) Thanks guys!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stayed at Samurai over christmas this year and it couldn't have been better :) The bugalows lived up to the pictures, the rain forest feel was like a vacation in itself, and with it's own bus stop and central location it was easy to see all the sights in Port Stephens. Mark and Sandy (the owners) make it easy to know what fun things to do and how to get there... Really felt lucky that we found this place!! You won't want to leave, trust me ;) Thank you Mark and Sandy!

Room Tip: We stayed in a "triple" with a double bed and two bunks - charming, clean, free coffee and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I first came in 2010 and plan to stay 2 nights ended up extending it to 5. So when I knew I would be going past it again beginning of december 2013 I knew I would want 4 days minimum, but it just wasn't enough time so on the way back to Sydney I have just checked in for another 3 nights. The owners here (sandy and mark) are legendary they know how to make you feel right at home. You could say the shop are a little far and the beach is a bit of a walk but once your here that makes no diffrence there is so much to do in Nelson bay just a quick bus trip away. And the hostel is set up in such a way that you enjoy the stay so much you end up having well needed and perfect lazy days. Well recommend this hostel :) hope you enjoy your stay as much as I have :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Such an incredible hostel that I extended my stay and still wish I could have stayed longer. Mark and Sandy are great hosts that will help you in anyway possible. The additional staff on sight are very friendly and approachable, making you feel at home in no time.
I stayed in a 5-person room that was kept very clean, and the beds were extremely comfy. After just a couple of days there I was fortunate enough to see a wild Koala right above my room.
During the day there is lots to do, take a dolphin cruise, go snorkeling, visit one of the many stunning beaches, sand board, hike the national parks, go surfing, swim in the pool, or climb tomaree head (where the views are so breathtaking that neither pictures or words can do them justice). At night make friends in the kitchen area, hangout in the games/TV room, sit around the open fire, or take a walk to one of the beautiful beaches watching the stars and enjoying nature at its best.
I feel very fortunate to have found this little safe haven, the only problem is that it came at the very beginning of my trip, and I doubt anything else can live up to my experiences in Port Stephens.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

Definitely the most nature inspiring hostel I have stayed in in Australia. The lovely cabins are set in a wonderful wooded area, where you can hear koalas at night and if you're lucky, have a possum jump (or fall) onto your roof in the middle of the night.

The cabin I was in was 5-person and was clean and comfortable. The facilities were great, although due to a technical problem there was no hot water a couple of times. I was forced to take one cold shower (and it was a really cold day) and the morning I left there was no hot water so had to travel to Sydney without a shower. This unfortunately prevents me from giving this YHA my customary 5 stars.

Other than that it was perfect. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hostel's setting enables friendships to be formed quickly. One night the cold weather was defeated by a lovely roaring fire around which we all sat and got acquainted.

For those hotter days the hostel has a pool and sun loungers and the beach is just 30 mins walk away.

One word of warning - the hostel isn't really near anything so if you are looking to go out to eat you'll need to catch a bus to Port Nelson. Thankfully there's a bus stop right outside the hostel.

In summary, really enjoyed my stay, shame the weather hadn't been better, need to fix that hot water issue.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
#6 of 33 in Port Stephens
Bays Holiday Park
Bays Holiday Park
#6 of 8 in Anna Bay

Been to Samurai Beach Bungalows - Port Stephens YHA? Share your experiences!