“Neat and nice property by KTDC”

KTDC Pepper Grove Hotel
Ranked #21 of 81 Kalpetta B&B and Inns
Chennai (Madras), India
“Neat and nice property by KTDC”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

First of all, I request the Tripadvisor Team to change the location of the hotel from Kalpetta to Sultan Battery, a good 20-plus kilometers away from Kalpetta.

Now, coming to the review. I stayed at this property for two nights during the fourth weekend of September 2012. Initially planned as a 3-night-4-day trip, I had to cut the trip short by one day due to some urgent need to return to my hometown, Chennai. The booking process through the Internet was hassle-free and smooth and was offered flat 10% discount while booking online, though this facility is not available when you book it, rather extend your stay personally, STRANGE! No good reasons were provided for the above. Maybe KTDC is encouraging paper-free world, but actually all net transactions are backed by physical records.

THE PLUS POINTS OF THE PROPERTY:
Very neatly maintained. Of course, not many were staying. I could see only two or three other families during those two nights that I stayed.
The frontage is excellent and has nice open parking area, allows you to have a good early morning or late evening stroll.
The staff are very polite and helpful (of course, I could see only two people taking care of the entire property, Mr. Aneesh and Mr. Shrinjith. Aneesh takes care of everything except reception and Shrinjith reception at odd hours. There is a lady receptionist during the daytime. Except these people and a few who are loitering around, there is nobody in the property). An example of their helpful nature would be that I could reach Pepper Grove only by 2030 hours against the scheduled time of 1230 hours. En route Pepper Grove from Calicut, I got a call from Pepper Grove as to whether I would be needing dinner. This was not required of them, but they were kind enough to take the meal order and when I could check in finally, they had the dinner ready, served hot.
The property is a bit away from the center of the town, approx 3 kms from KSRTC Bus Station (Garage in local parlance). As we all know, 3 km in a small town is almost precincts. There is absolutely no activity on the road where the property stands and nice calm atmosphere prevails throughout the day.
For site-seeing, they arrange jeeps and cars, but it ends there. The rest has to be managed by you.
Breakfast provided as the bookings are CP.
24-hour hot water supply is available.

NOW, THE NEGATIVE POINTS:
Not many seem to prefer. I could see only a few other families (countable) at the property. Do not know the reason, maybe the property being away from the main road, tucked in a quiet neighborhood. It is almost invisible until you reach a lake nearby.
The staff strength seems to be too low. The staff were available to us 18 of 24 hours (they switched off the lights before we could) as the hotel seemed to be near empty when we were there, but it is hard for me to imagine if all rooms get booked at the same time.
I think the menu at their restaurant is limited and order based. I was offered puttu and kadalai (Kerala-style breakfast) the first day and poori bhaaji the next day. The only other option would be bread, butter, jam, which I do not call an option at all. For dinner as well, since I am a veggie (did not check non-veg items), veg fried rice/gobi manchurian and jeera rice/dal fry along with chappatis were the options. It is not a full-fledged restaurant though, just three or four tables, only for the staying guests. I do not think outsiders come in for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
The property is a bit away and no store or anything is available at the hotel or anywhere nearby. The nearest convenience store is a good 1.5 km away and there are no autos or other transport facilities available at the property.
There are no pickup or drop facilities to and from the property.

There was not much rain during the time I visited Wayanad (actually the SW monsoon season) and the place was NOT brimming with tourists. Almost all places were either dry or closed. Whatever destinations were available were also far away and required a lot of travel and not that impressive, except the Banasura Sagar Dam, where speedboat facilities are available at 450/- per boat (capacity 5 people). Of note, all boating tariffs are not based on per person, rather per boat. On the whole, I feel that Wayanad is a much hyped place and requires a lot of attention by the Tourist Department of Kerala to make it an attractive destination. Roads from Kalpetta leading to Sultan Bathery are the worst in the world and what is 20-plus kilometers takes you more than an hour.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank MaheshSundaram

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
tampa
Reviewed July 19, 2012

After quite a bit of research on the internet, we narrowed down to this property because it met most of our needs. Travelling with small children and aged parents, comfort, quality food and accessability to stores and the attractions were our priority. Pepper grove is right in the middle of Sultan Bathery town but still tucked away in a quiet little corner, away from the traffic and crowd. The hotel management has really maintained the property well and cleanliness is something that is visible throughout.

We booked four of their premium AC rooms for our party of 9 adults and 4 kids. These rooms were of perfect size with king size beds, super clean bathrooms with running hot & cold water , cable tv, armoire and couches. They were really accomodating in adding additional beds, pillows etc in two of the rooms. The money we spent for the four rooms were less than a quarter of what you will have to spend in other resorts around Wayanad. Having stayed in many of those kinds of high end resorts, I can vouch for the fact that service provided by these guys at Pepper grove can never be matched. The staff led by Mr. Binoy is always around the corner asking what else we need to be comfortable and they made everything happen very efficiently. One example was the fishing expedition they organized for the kids in the adjoining lake and personally accompanied us & assisted the kids the whole time, taking care of their safety & making it a delightfully memorable experience for them. Also the fact they arranged a camp fire for us with music @ very short notice was equally amazing! Also, all the food is cooked on order then & there is wonderfully fresh & tasty. Special care was given to using the freshest products & in accomodating all our tastes.

One piece of advice that i would give to the travellers who are researching their travel to Wayanad is to stay in or around Sultan Bathery, because most of the attractions are at a short distance from here and you can cover a lot in a single day. If you stay in places like Kalpetta, coming to see Edakkal itself will take almost a whole day. Muthanga wildlife santuary is only 13 miles away too and we drove there with the kids after 10 pm to see the wild elephants and got to see many on the way to the Kerala-Karnataka border. That was an amazing experience seeing the wild elephants right next to your vehicle.

Again, thanks to all of the staff at the Pepper grove resort led by Mr Binoy for a very memorable stay! Special mention to both Binoys & Anish. Hoping that the WiFi will be installed before our next visit. But you know what, with no internet - didnt have to worry about my work for my entire stay there :)

-Anil.

Room Tip: Premium AC rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank myth_38119
Gopalpur On Sea, India
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We booked this resort for three days while holidaying at Waynad. Treatment was exceptional with wonderful and helpful staff, a comfortable stay with clean and spacious room and clean bathroom. Service was prompt and staff was very courteous. Food was excellent and staff took pains to make food of your choice. Away from the city, the hotel is located amidst green surroundings with a small lake in front. A quiet place with enough space all around within the campus. The place seemed ideally located with most sight seeing locations of waynad within radius of 35 KMs, which was very helpful. Mr Binoy, the manager of the hotel needs a special mention. A thorough gentleman who was very helpful and adviced correctly on places to sight see. Thanks Binoy and staff of Pepper Grove for making our stay so comfortable and memorable

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank rocks67
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We stayed at KTDC Pepper Grove, Sultan Bathery, Wayanad for 4 days in the second week of May 2012. The rooms are OK, a bit too small with running hot water, but that is immaterial since we were on a holiday outing. The resort is located away from the town, far from the hussle and busle. It is a calm place, secure and lot of space for the kids to move around. The food is reasonably good and is made to order. What touched us most was the behaviour of the staff headed by Benoy the manager of the resort, Benoy and Sirijith his assistants and all the rest of the staff. They were ready to help when ever necessary. Thank you Pepper Grove for making our stay in Wayanad comfortable.

Room Tip: Nothing to propose
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank surajjohn
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2012

A pleasant welcome, a comfortable bed, a clean bathroom with plenty of hot water : you will find all of these at Pepper Grove together with good food ( nice desserts). The hotel is in a safe and quiet setting not far from town so it is a good base for exploring. When we visited at the end of March Wayanad Sanctuary was closed because of the fire risk so our main reason for being in the area had gone. The staff put them selves out to be helpful and let us use the computer in the office to replan and Binoy also gave us some very good suggestions about what to do locally.
This is an excellent mid-range hotel. we really enjoyed our stay. Thanks to both Binoys and the rest of the staff!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kiri59
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Stayed for three days, the hotel is located in Manichira, Sulthan Bathery. Starting from the first glance the hotel is true value for money. located in a serene and though not very far from the town. Rooms are spacious and clean. Food is excellent and best. Staffs are friendly and honest. I lost my phone in for the full day, the cleaner picked in up from a common place and returned to Mr. Binoy, the manager of the property. A thorough and helpful gentleman always ready to help with a welcome smile.. loved it..

just to add the cook is also a nice young boy who played football with my kids.. :)

Mukta and Family.

Room Tip: A/C Premium suite.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank muktapalit
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed at Pepper Grove, Wayanad last weekend for 4days-3N. Initially I was impressed by the property. The rooms were very small & it's very basic. They gave one towel & 1 soap each room (each were double room booked for couples) though. Nature-lovers might like it but I felt terrible about unusual looking red ants & insects inside bathroom! The Health-faucet was leaking- it doesnt take too much to change the washer, does it? Besides these problems the property was nice. I loved the sit-outs (no balconies in with the rooms), the panorama & the green surroundings.

Now, let's come to food! Breakfast was incl in the room tariff. First day it was Idly/bread-omelet, 2nd was set-dosa & no option & 3rd day was poori-sago (poori-bhaji). We took one dinner & 1 lunch. The food tasted barely edible in my palette & definitely overpriced. A tiny medal-size paper-thin fried fish was 100/-! My fish-eater Bengali-heart sank after I checked the bill! I frantically googled & found the best restaurant in that area- Jubilee (oppo. Assumption Hospital). Eventually we found a nice & cheaper place to have tea/coffee too- Paul's Icecream (few meters ahead from Jubilee). Jubilee is very popular with the locals so make sure you reach much ahead the usual lunch/dinner time if you want a proper parking & gr8 service. However, I must mention the food at Pepper Grove is freshly prepared so you have to order atleast 45min ahead of ur meal time. So, you can order here if u feel lazy or unwell or above all find the food palatable. It's hygienic & freshly made for sure.
Next time in Wayand/Sulthan Bathery I would not stay at Pepper Grove for sure since I felt it's not value for money! If you wish to try go for the non-AC rooms. Ours were AC-Deluxe (s) & upstairs. My parents had to take stairs with their bad-back & knee problem.
I must mention the stuffs their are of helpful kind. It's just that you have to 'seek' help. :)

Room Tip: Though we took AC-Deluxe I feel non-AC could have been VFM! Yet, you must go for AC rooms to keep mo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalpetta
Hotel Sheelisach Inn
Misty Hills Hotel & Resorts
Hotel Mint Flower
Hotel Mint Flower
#2 of 31 in Sultan Bathery

Been to KTDC Pepper Grove Hotel? Share your experiences!