“Ideal Location and Service”

Banasura Island Resort
Ranked #25 of 92 Kalpetta B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The property is located in the midst of Flora & fauna which adds up the ambience.
Appreciate the entire team of the hospitality extended during our stay. We stayed in the 'Nalukettu' which is having a nice view. Clean & Spacious room with delicious food and service, I am happy to refer this property in Wayanad, good place for a break !
Thank you for gifting us a memorable holiday.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 30, 2012

the location is very scenic, particularly in the monsoon.
The view from the rooms depends on the selection.
The resort is pricey.
The staff is excellent. Anyone will feel safe and welcome.
The food is ok. Anyway, this place is not for the food at all.
some nice trails and walks nearby.

Room Tip: choose one of the cottages
1  Thank prasantgongo
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We had been to Banasura Island Retreat with my colleagues, their spouses and kids. We had booked the entire resort for ourselves. The resort is located on one of the hills alongside the Banasura Sagar reservoir and is a beautiful site to watch from there. The honeymoon suite and the twin cottage, though small, provided a wonderful view of the reservoir, the small islands and the hills, while a couple of Naalukettu rooms, being the highest point in the resort, provided a scenic long distance view of the same. Most other rooms faced the hills which wasn't anything to complain either. But not sure about the rest of the few. Better to check before.

The resort in itself was a long drive - 20km from Kalpetta, the closest town, which was a further 70km from Kozhikode, the closest city. Accessing it was a little difficult unless we had our own transport and it easily took us 3+ hours to get there. And this wasn't close to many of the places of attractions either.

The service was ok with no room service or telephones to connect to the staff in case of emergencies. The food was decent and was prepared in typical Kerala style and not much options otherwise.

There was an ayurvedic spa in the resort which we didn't check out. But otherwise, the resort didn't have any other facilities except for a TT table with broken bats and a carrom board. Coz' we went as a big group, we didn't quite feel the pinch.

On the whole, if you are looking for a lazy/romantic getaway this would be the place. Else, there isn't much to do.

Room Tip: Go for the honeymoon suite. If you are looking for 2 rooms, then the twin cottages
1  Thank Alagu Sundaram M
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We went on this trip as a couple, with a lot of other families who were my husband's couple. This place is totally worth the money they charge. You get to stay in such a beautiful place amidst hills and rivers. You never need to go to another place to enjoy wayanad. No TV for most rooms, no AC are not even things you will care about. You will simply be spellbound my nature.I have been to various places in kerala, but this has been the best till date. The hospitality of manager Vinoth and everyone else in the team was great. They tried to satisfy us in every possible way. Very aesthetically designed place. I was twelve weeks pregnant when I went there, I was so scared of bad roads from calicut to wayanad and then the one and half KMs up the resort which was supposed to be rough. But the driver given by the hotel drove so safe that I didn't feel a bit scared during the travel. Only one negative I would say is the coconut oil cooking. If you do not like it, let them know in advance.

Room Tip: We stayed in naalu kattu and it was very nice with two balconies. Twin cottage is good, but it has t...
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We went to Wayanad on a family trip from the 8th to 10th July - 3 days and 2 nights. It was a package deal which included all 3 meals, bed tea, ayurvedic massage for all 4 of us (My mom, sister and brother-in-law being the other 3) and a speed-boat ride at the Banasura Dam reservoir. I had seen the rating and read the review here and although it wasn't ranked in the top 10, I went with my instincts and chose to go here. I was hoping the place would be as pretty as seen in the pictures on their official website. I was wrong. It was wayyyy better!! It was b-brilliant!!

Ok.. I am getting ahead of myself here. Let me start from the beginning. We left Calicut at around 9:30 AM and the trip took around 2:45 minutes. We went in a Hyundai Santro and I would advise not to.. seriously! The last 1-2 kms to the resort are pretty bad - It's a metaled road for 1km and then just rock and rubble for next half. The sign boards to this resort start only a 4-5 miles before the resort itself and there won't be too many people around to ask for directions. Adding to that, there are multiple resorts that have the name Banasura. The guys at the resort know and understand this and hence made sure to call me multiple time to make sure I don't get lost. I had no trouble with that though since we had hired a driver who knew the route. I suggest you do the same.

Just a 100 meters before the entrance, we could hear a waterfall and the recent rains had made the foliage around us rich green. I'll let you know about the waterfalls in a while.

As soon as we reached the resort, I saw the 'Naalukettu' building which was exactly like I had seen it on the website. It looked even better with the mist-covered hills in the backdrop. The Manager of the resort Mr Binod welcomed us into the Naalukettu and offered us welcome drinks. After a brief and uncomplicated check-in procedure, we were escorted to out twin-cottage. The twin and single cottages are not visible at first glance. They are set on the slopes of the hill with an amazing view of the dam catchment area. Both the cottages are nearby and yet provide ample privacy.

The twin cottage consists of 2 bedrooms with bath attached and an attached balcony each. The central room has a semi-large dining table which can seat 6-8 and a TV with DTH. This room has the entry to main balcony. Both the bedrooms have wooden flooring and look thoroughly cosy. Apart from the dim lighting in the cottage, I had very little to complain about. Clean linen and clean bathrooms are what I look for first and they were indeed very clean.

From the time we arrived (12:30), we spent the entire day at the resort just soaking in the beautiful view and the atmosphere. It rained heavily after lunch and it was just the perfect setting for a peaceful sleep. In the evening we had out head and shoulder massages (which came with the package) and was something I would avoid the next time I go there. It was painful. *shudders*.

The food and service were exceptional. If you are not used to Kerala cuisine and not interested in being adventurous, you could let them know your preferences. On request, they had food sent to the room and the only complaint you might have is the excessive quantity of food they send! :)

Please do not forget to close all the net-doors by sun down. It is a forested area and you cannot complain about the insects if you don't do your part. You might want to take some bug spray though.

The next day, we decided to have the breakfast at the restaurant. The view from there is simply breathtaking. They have glass running from roof to floor and having food there is a treat for all the senses.After breakfast, we set out to explore the resort and it's surroundings. We remembered the sound of the falls we had heard while we entering the resort and trooped off in that direction. There was no direct path to falls but we found one nevertheless and the act of adventure added to fun. We could not access the bottom of the falls but the top of the falls was good enough. The best part was that we had it all to ourselves. We set out for a safari after lunch but in retrospect, I feel I should have continued on exploring the area outside the resort.

The next day we went on a soft trek towards the dam catchment area. Well, it was intended to be a short walk but ended up being a mini-trek. The trek route had wild-elephant dung strewn along its path and hence we decided not to go deep into the jungle. We spotted another small waterfall on the way and it is only when the leeches started feeling thirsty did we decided to go back. Advice : Do not forget to take salt along when trekking.

3 days just did not seem long enough but we had to leave. It was the best trip I had in a very long time. My mom loved it for the peace and quiet. My sister loved it for all the small bugs and butterflies that she captured on her camera and I loved it for the adventure and feel of it. It has something for everyone... well.. perhaps not much for the kids though.

In short,

Pros:

1) Secluded and serene location
2) Amazing view and accommodation for a very reasonable rate.
3) Delectable food and wonderful service
4) Excellent quality and maintenance of the cottages.
5) Good options of trekking near the resort

Cons:

1) Quite far away from the tourist spots in Wayanad
2) Ayurvedic head and shoulder massage was 'painfully' disappointing
3) Poor lighting in the rooms
4) Carom board and TT provided at the resort but barely usable.
5) Did not provide advice on trekking paths and did not offer to provide a guide.
6) No gym, swimming pool or other fancy stuff. (If present, I wouldn't have wasted my time on those)

The negatives do not out-weigh the good points of the resort. For all those nature lovers who'd prefer to stay at the resort and soak it in and have a relaxing time, this is for you! Sorry for rambling on for I don't know for how many words. Hope this helps in making your choice.

PS: I'd go there when it rains and it would be cheaper during the monsoons.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Rajrag
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We visited this place after reading all the reviews that were posted in here. I was not sorry for my decision to be at this beautiful place. The attractions is that nature is at its very best around this place. You can see the beautiful mountains, the dense forest, the lake in front of the cottage. Nearby a beautiful stream. If you need to immerse yourself into natures lap then its one of the places that you need to be. Come here only if you are looking off to stay off from the crowds and you need to discover yourself. The people over there are just ready to serve you for all your needs.

The drawbacks which I felt was very small one of which was the food was not so tasty. If you plan to come here and then visit around Wayanad then do not come around here since you need to travel a bit to get to other spots around.

For honeymooners the single cottage is the best and privacy is the attraction, you cannot see this place as a normal high end resort. If nature is your friend don't hesitate to visit here.

Room Tip: Single Cottage is the best, if you are a couple.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I visited this place last week for my honeymoon for a 3N/4D package and I was truly amazed by the serene location of this property. It is located on a dam's edge with the Banasura mountain behind, An absolute stunning place for the nature lovers. The journey to the resort itself is beautiful. There are lot of trekking trails for those who are interested. A photographers paradise. A stream runs near by the property and it's definitely worth a visit and you can spend a lot of time relaxing. Rain is part of this resort, so just enjoy getting a little wet.

This is not a high end property & doesn't have swimming pool & gym etc... It's a nature paradise. But it's maintained clean & immaculate, So for those who are looking for a OVER THE TOP type of resort, this is not for you guys.

We chose the single villa for two days & the Nalkettu for one day. Both the rooms have excellent view from the balcony. Single villa has a lot of privacy for honeymooners. It's truly romantic & lovely.

Service needs a special mention because they do it without a hitch. The managers Mr Binod & Mr Shajahan are very courteous. The service boys, Sunil & Saajan are very good.

I would definitely recommend it to everyone for couples & families as well. I would surely go back with my whole family next time.

Room Tip: Choose the single villa if you are a couple or the double villa if you are family. If both aren'...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple