“A personalised 100,000mile / 10-year service”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalpetta
Ayurveda Yoga Villa
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Kalpetta
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“A personalised 100,000mile / 10-year service”
Reviewed March 11, 2011

If you want the whole story, you need to read my blog "A month in Kerala" which you'll find at www.sunshinespices.blogspot.com.
This is an amazing place, it's not a spa and it's not a health farm; it's a centre dedicated to Ayurveda in its strictest sense "The Science of Living."
I did a 28-day programme, and I could never have achieved the same results in any shorter period. The doctors are highly qualified and very through (you have a daily consultation.) The therapists are friendly and skilful, and all the resort staff are helpful. The guests when I was there were a cosmopolitan bunch from the recycled hippies of my generation to earnest 20-somethings looking for a different experience.
It's remote - in the jungle. It's beautiful and unspoilt. It's simple almost to the point of being primitive. It's serious - the doctors and therapists want to help you get the results you are aiming for. I lost 16.8kg (37lbs) in 25 days of treatment, and came home with enough medicines to keep me on track for the next 6 weeks.
If you're seriously interested, read the blog - I don't pull any punches.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
9 Thank Caldarola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2011

I went to stay at the yoga villa following all the reviews from tripadviser and I must say, the experience was fantastic. I had taken two off work, first week I spent in Goa with cousins and then I travelled alone to Kerala, initially I thought 7 days would be more than enough.. I was so wrong! I had an amazing time getting to know wonderful people from around the world and all the staff at the villa, some of whom i know will be my friends for a very long time. The kitchen staff prepared and served the beautiful food with so much much care and attention, it was sad leaving this behind. In addition, I really enjoyed my treatments and found the massage therapist so friendly and professional. The staff go out of their way to cater for your needs, nothing is a problem and they try and accommodate your requests.
I know now that I could have benefitted from staying longer as I would have taken more care and attention with following my schedule as prescribed by the doctors. The only reccommendation I would suggest is before you go try and research and read up on Ayurvedic lifestlye and treatments to get a better understanding of how it can work for you. I am now exploring ways I can incorporate the ayurvedic lifestyle into my everyday life.. I would highly reccommend the yoga villa.

Priya, London

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Priya77
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed March 2, 2011

Me and my wife were there at the end of 2010 and it was a great experience. The morning starts with good yoga practices and 'agni hotram' which is a kind of 'yagna'. You feel the spritual dimension within you opens up with the right start. The location is calm and after doing yoga and with spiritual energies, if you could enjoy the morning breeze when those little birds cooing having a cup of hot herbal drink sitting in the dining terrace..hmm..i m turning into a poet, but i m sure you will feel the same if you are a bit sensitive to all these things..Then you see heads around and slowly the breakfast hall is getting filled up with people and of course good food too! The staffs are friendly and fresh in the morning addressing your needs personally..We have not taken any special programs like 'Panchakarma' so not any restriction in our food but still the food sounds like kind of 'programmed' for you tasting the best..The ayurvedic doctor had a personal discussion with everyone and she advised me some massage therapies which could work out for my right leg numbness when I sit for long time in the same posture during meditation. I should honestly say that it worked out well, but it is just that you will have to stay there for atleast 14 days to see the complete cure..we were there for around 5 days and that too visiting some nearby temples but still I was able to see the effect of the treatment. The massage guys are really good and no bullshitting. Also the 'massage' here means the real massage and no 'extra service' in the name of massage. This place is surrounded by the river Kabini and it was a very nice to place to go around too. Lunch and dinner are equally good but you should take your dinner a bit earlier around 19.00 to get up early in the morning. The only problem we had was from our neighbors in the cottages because of the unwanted noise they were producing. The management still asked for changing our rooms but we said ok to continue in the same room for our last day. This place sounds a bit different from other resorts around because they have some principle in running this business and not just want to grab money. They are intersted seriously in your well being if you are willing to take their services like panchakarma. Give a try and you will want more of it..

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SriKrishnamurthy
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I booked 14 days ayurvedic rejuvenation package.
Everything was provided as promised, and we were very happy with our experience, and plan to return for a longer rujuvenation treatment. The rooms are spotlessly clean, and cleaned everyday, thoroughly. Ayurvedic vegetarian food is preferred for the rejuvenation program, and I made new exciting discoveries everyday. The ayurvedic treatments were very effective, and I felt completely rejuvenated after 14 days.

The place is a great relaxation spot that is well placed. I personally had a splendid time and would recommend others to experience the beautiful resort for the services it has to offer.

Nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff, and they were always courteous and very helpful. Everyone at the resort went above the call of duty which is a lovely touch.

Anja

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Surrey, UK
Reviewed February 18, 2011

I spent three weeks at Ayurveda Yoga Villa in January/February 2011 for a Panchakarma and it was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. The first week was especially tough, some of the aspects of Panchakarma are not for the fainthearted, it has to be said. However, the doctors, the staff, fellow 'inmates' and the wonderful location all help to make the experience a truly magnificent one. It would be unfair to start naming my favourite people, because I would surely forget someone, so I shan't bother, however, my therapist girls, Gemini and Soumati, have to be named for being the most caring and lovely girls, who have looked after me so well, that I really have no idea how to express my gratitude.

But everyone was brilliant and so is the whole set up. The food was also great, I really cannot understand previous complaints, especially regarding quantity. All you have to do is ask and the lovely staff will bring you anything your heart desires, as long as it's available and there was never a problem if someone required seconds or alternatives.

I stayed in a Herbal Cottage, which was lovely, but the constant watering of the herbal grass roof did get on my nerves at times, sorry... But when you're sitting on your terrace, the constant dripping can be annoying, especially when you are trying to dry clothes...On the other hand, I did like the fact that the Herbal Cottages are slightly away from the others and therefore feel a little more quiet and tranquil, so difficult one...

The medical attention was second to none! At least two doctors were at hand all day and everyone has a 1:1 with a doctor every day to check that all is well. Brilliant! The doctors also give the odd lecture in the evening, which is nice!

Special mention has to be made of the twice weekly Bajan singing, which I fell in love with and I am still utterly touched by the effort that was put into it. What a lovely experience.

So, all in all, I would thoroughly recommend Ayurveda Yoga Villa to anyone, who seriously wants to do something for their physical and/or mental health. I lost a lot of weight, haven't touched a cigarette in weeks and feel squeaky clean, inside out. And, the motivation to get up early, do my Yoga and then eat healthy food still remains! What more can you ask??

• Stayed January 2011
5 Thank Mel T
Muscat
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Words cannot describe the Beauty of the place!! It was such a wonderful experience for me. When I left Oman to India I was a bit scared because I was alone but as soon as I arrived I felt I arrived to my second home! The Staff were very friendly and very helpful, the guests at the resort were also very friendly, they welcomed me and made me feel comfortable. I have enjoyed the Yoga sessions every morning & evening. Meditation by the river was very relaxing and has helped me in focusing. Food was very delicious, I cant have my local food now as I am used to the South Indian cuisine. The treatment was very helpful although I was there for a very short period but it has helped me a lot. Now I have developed a very positive attitude and no stress would really affect me much. I feel much relaxed and happy after the magical experience I had in God's own country. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Sali84
British in MEast
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Like everyone else there, I chose Ayurveda Yoga Villa on the advice of .....google!..and probably what was written here at Tripadvisor. I got it right, I wanted as authentic as possible whilst being palatable to a Westerner. If that's you, come here. My initial experience was dubious as the treatment didn't seem to be providing the solace I sought; this seems to be the Ayurvedic way, to take you out of your comfort zone and to confront your problems (physical, emotional..whatever), but then as the treatment/experience begins to take effect, it is incredible, amazing, I was flying! Over a week later, I still am on the way up, soaring.
The day goes like this: up for mesmerising yoga at 7am, communal breakfast at 9 (the meal-time bonding was fantastic - Hi to all my new friends reading this.) I saw the doctor next for a brief consulation on my state/progress, then over an hour of treatment. This was another experience. Rather intimate (never inappropriate) very oily rather spicy. At first two men stroking the body length in unison, later I was pummelled, stood on, kicked, stretched and last drizzled on. I loved it! My body did and does still 2 weeks later. Then an hour hanging around sticky and spicy, chance to meditate looking over the river and the life (mostly human) taking place in it. After lunch - the food strictly controlled, some delicious new things..banana flower and coconut. I lost 7 kilos in 7 days without intending or trying! - we would go for a communal walk in the local countryside lanes, the people lovely, the scenery green verdant, nearby a local tourist treat kuruva lake...i hoped to hire a boat and boatman for a little trip but the rain had made the river too high, you may have better luck. One or two local low key lovely cultural events were organised for the evening, then we'd do yoga in the twilight, even more mesmerising than in the morning. I loved it and have kept it up every day since. (i'd never done yoga before and foundit difficult but wonderful, the teacher was entrancing and an excellent perceptive coach. AFter supper we were worn out and in bed.
Not for the faint hearted but a real experience and with real benefits!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank MMRA4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalpetta
Wayanad Silverwoods
#1 of 2 in Nagarhole National Park
Le Villagio Holiday Apartments
Le Villagio Holiday Apartments
#2 of 7 in Sultan Bathery

Been to Ayurveda Yoga Villa? Share your experiences!