“An amazing experience!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalpetta
Ayurveda Yoga Villa
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Kalpetta
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Like everyone else there, I chose Ayurveda Yoga Villa on the advice of .....google!..and probably what was written here at Tripadvisor. I got it right, I wanted as authentic as possible whilst being palatable to a Westerner. If that's you, come here. My initial experience was dubious as the treatment didn't seem to be providing the solace I sought; this seems to be the Ayurvedic way, to take you out of your comfort zone and to confront your problems (physical, emotional..whatever), but then as the treatment/experience begins to take effect, it is incredible, amazing, I was flying! Over a week later, I still am on the way up, soaring.
The day goes like this: up for mesmerising yoga at 7am, communal breakfast at 9 (the meal-time bonding was fantastic - Hi to all my new friends reading this.) I saw the doctor next for a brief consulation on my state/progress, then over an hour of treatment. This was another experience. Rather intimate (never inappropriate) very oily rather spicy. At first two men stroking the body length in unison, later I was pummelled, stood on, kicked, stretched and last drizzled on. I loved it! My body did and does still 2 weeks later. Then an hour hanging around sticky and spicy, chance to meditate looking over the river and the life (mostly human) taking place in it. After lunch - the food strictly controlled, some delicious new things..banana flower and coconut. I lost 7 kilos in 7 days without intending or trying! - we would go for a communal walk in the local countryside lanes, the people lovely, the scenery green verdant, nearby a local tourist treat kuruva lake...i hoped to hire a boat and boatman for a little trip but the rain had made the river too high, you may have better luck. One or two local low key lovely cultural events were organised for the evening, then we'd do yoga in the twilight, even more mesmerising than in the morning. I loved it and have kept it up every day since. (i'd never done yoga before and foundit difficult but wonderful, the teacher was entrancing and an excellent perceptive coach. AFter supper we were worn out and in bed.
Not for the faint hearted but a real experience and with real benefits!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank MMRA4

Reviewed December 1, 2010

Imagine yourself sitting in a spacious room, situated in beautiful peaceful surroundings, after a good ayurvedic massage... hungry... for the whole duration of the stay.... For me (and some others in my time - beginning 2010) the really big problem was food. Not only it's only simple Indian food (don't count on sufficient vegetables and/or fruit), but sometimes they did not have even porridge. Btw, I'm a vegan so I did not miss meat or fish at all. There is no shop around so you cannot buy even bananas. The staff is helpful but what can they do if the management (or the owner) forbids them to buy food on the local market.... Anyway, without going into details how and why, I can recommend the place only for those who wants to lose weight or wants to do Panchakarma (where you won't be eating much anyway), or for lovers of real Indian food on a daily basis. For healthy (young) individuals who is not used to Indian spices I cannot recommend the place.
Oh, and don't count on their Internet access too much, so be advised to take laptop with Internet connection with you.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank M2C3
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Great place. It surpassed all my expectations: my room was big and tidy, the staff so friendly and always ready to help, ayurvedic treatments so good and yoga teachers even gave me extra lessions and personal advice. My blood pressure was sky high when I arrived but after a couple of days it was perfect and I felt renewed. I met the doctor every day and they really did care how I felt. Great place to get treatments and relax. Beautiful garden around. I highly recommend.
Surely I’ll go back for a month this time.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Kiti51
Reviewed November 1, 2010

It wasn't quite the relaxing spa I was expecting but it was a fantastic experience. The staff are lovely and go out of their way to make you feel special. It isn't the height of comfort and the rooms whilst very large are basic, this isbecause it is a treatment centre not a relaxing spa holiday, you see the doctor and go for treatments daily. Depending on what you go for some of the treatments can be quite intrusive, but you feel wonderful afterwards. The yoga master was brilliant and adapted the postures to suit my ability. The location is beautiful and when out walking the people are friendly, the children always speak to you and ask your name. During my stay it was Ganesh's birthday and we were given sari's to wear and joined in the celebrations making it a very special day. I'd recommend the trip to Mysore, the palace is amazing. My last word is if you don't like spiders beware, there are some huge ones there.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Mands9455
Reviewed September 20, 2010

A truly marvelous experience in a great setting,wonderful staff,friendly atmosphere,1st class treatments. This place is the real deal for ayurvedic treatment,it is not a holiday resort. Daily Doctors visits,combined with therapies,ayurvedic medicines and vegetarian diet tailored to suit your condition. I did the 28 day Panchakarma program,it was hard at times but i highly reccomend to anyone with mystery ailments that they havent been able to find an answer for. 10/10 cant fault the experience

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Gareth212
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I am sure when I ponder my life experiences, during the twilight of my years, I will regard my 2 weeks in India at this beautiful and relaxing place. I travelled to this place for an enriching experience. What I found exceeded my expectations.
The place is in the middle of nature. After a couple of days my daily rythm was totally adjusted to the nature; I woke up very early and enjoyed the beautiful sunrise and the energy that surrounded me. The people are loveky, wise and very joyfull and they all do their best to make your stay a pleasant experience. The yoga and the teacher was amazing and I have learnt a lot of him. Also a lot of valuable idea's which definately shall help me in my way of life.
The food is delicious and healthy and the staff in the kidchen is always smiling. The cottages are nice, clean and big although back to basic wich is all I needed during my stay. After a couple of days you relalize that you don't need anything in life expect conscioussness.
I recommend everyone to book a trip to Mysore and visit the palace and the Chamundi temple on the Chamundi hill. For me it was inspiring to expercience this hindu temple, the ceremony, the sincerity and the happiness of the hindu religion and its people.

After almost 2 weeks I still feel the positive energy of this place and it feels like I was there 2 days ago.

This place really touched me!

Bahar

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bruller
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I have visit a few Ayurvedic treatment locations in India and finally I find a place that got it all together. Since its located inland and on higher altitude than the coastline the climate here is not too warm witch is important for treatments and your sleep.
Nice large rooms with your own bathroom and not to hard beds. You have your own sit out where you can sit and read and meditate. Beautiful nature and small villages around where you can make your walks. Not to forget the great river that floats in front of the retreat.
The doctors are very skilled and you get your treatment and medicine after your needs and the same with your yoga. All the herbs they need are growing and prepared at the plays.
Absolutely fantastic food. It's not always easy to continue eating this kind of food for a while when you not use to it but here it is so good and varied. And you feel so great of it.
Friendly and helpfull staff that makes you feel like home.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank Ayurhappy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalpetta
15 mi away
15 mi away
Petals Resorts Wayanad
Petals Resorts Wayanad
#3 of 22 in Kalpetta

Been to Ayurveda Yoga Villa? Share your experiences!