“Stress reduction and rejuvenation - two weeks that set the course” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ayurveda Yoga Villa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalpetta
Ayurveda Yoga Villa
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kalpetta
Ottawa, Canada
“Stress reduction and rejuvenation - two weeks that set the course”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

If you want a real ayurvedic full service retreat that provides direction on spirit, diet, body, and mind, this is the place to come. I came here for two weeks with my sister all the way from Canada. A long journey but it was worth it. I have come away from this place with greatly improve digestion, reduced stress, and tools for improving my life. All this in two weeks of focussed treatments and daily activities.

The place is beautifully perched above a river and is ideal for meditation and contemplation. The staff are wonderful and supportive. The guests are from all over and with the staff and guest you feel like in a close nit community.

I will definitely come back and spend longer to perform a full panchakarma detox next time. First I need to build on the tools that I now have. Thank you to all the Ayuerveda Yoga Villa staff.

Room Tip: The herbal cottages are the best with herbal medicine in the walls and roof of plants. It is great w...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

4 Thank David G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Finnish first
Townsville, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

My stay at AYV was too short.
After an 9hr trip by train and car front Kochi my partner and I arrived late at night, and having not eaten since breakfast rather hungry. The staff were fabulous and in no time we were registered, fed and tucked up in our Herbal Cottage.
The doctors and staff are just the most amazingly calm group of people I have ever experienced. Our first morning was taken up with visits to our doctors who prescribed treatment according to our dosha's. The kitchen staff then followed through monitoring what each of the guests ate.
7 days is not long enough (this we did not know due to our own ignorance), however if I can feel this good after 7 days imagine how fabulous I would feel after 3 weeks.
The location is wonderful. On a river which produced wonderful early morning walks; swims with local children and watching the farmers walk their cows or goats home to be milked. We were blessed with early morning mists and a full moon on our visit.
Met interesting people from all over the world, many were return clients.
We plan on returning for 3 weeks in 2015.
Just wonderful, thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Judith T
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

My expectations were more than fullfilled! The stuff is loving and caring and you feel very welcomed there. The river is perfect to take long walks and enjoy the nature. Also the masseuse are very nice and more than friendly! All in all it was perfect!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Sharona A
Exloo, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

My stay at AYV - four weeks in January/February 2014 - did not have a good start; when I arrived at Calicut airport the promised car for the transfer was not there. As my plane had landed half an hour early, and I very quickly passed customs, I decided to wait for some time, but after an hour or so I did start to wonder if AYV itself maybe was just as virtual as its website. A phone call did reassure me, but then it was still half an hour before the driver turned up.
Having arrived at AYV I was offered a meal, and then shown to my room, in a herbal cottage. The room is spacious, and has a wonderful, shady veranda (just as all other rooms). After the long journey I was glad to be able to rest. At that moment I did not realize that I was quite lucky - later I found out that AYV is often overbooked. People then are lodged in a holiday resort called Pepper Green, about 1 km away, or other places much farther away. During my stay most of the time at least two, and often more people were staying outside. Between meals, treatments and doctor's consultations they could be found resting on benches in the veranda of the restaurant or in the lobby... Not really conducive to a benificial intensive panchakarma treatment.

From all this one might conclude that AYV is a terrible place to be - but no, on the contrary, once you're 'in', it's warm, welcoming and caring. This was my fifth panchakarma treatment, and certainly the best. Before I had been to more or less renowned places in Sri Lanka - and at AYV it became clear to me that in these other places they omit parts of the panchakarma treatment that people from the West do not particularly like. At AYV panchakarma is done in the traditional way, and that means it is not the wellness holiday some people expect, but it is all the more effective for it. Sometimes I did have a hard time, but then the therapists are so caring and supportive, and soon after the treatment I felt a whole lot better - physically, but also mentally. Also, the doctors have plenty of time for their patients and explain the treatments into detail. As they each have a limited number of patients, which they see on a daily basis, they know them well, and treatments are adapted according to the results. I have been back home for a month now, and I still follow the dietary advice my doctor gave me - she explained so well why it is necessary, that I am very motivated to keep it.

Now I haven't mentioned the other staff yet - all the people working in the restaurant, the kitchen, the pharmacy, the gardens, the cleaning ladies - they also do all they can to make you feel welcome, feel at home. A warm smile, a conversation, a few friendly words...

But it is not only the staff that make AYV such a wonderful place to stay. It's also the guests. They come from all over the world, and what they have in common is a open attitude to life, to other people. I've never been to a place where I met so many inspiring, interesting, funny and warm people as I did here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

5 Thank Jan K
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

I have left AYV feeling privileged to be included in the life of an ayuvedic resort, committed to sharing the best of the culture, the beliefs, the skills, the food, and the beauty of a remote region of Kerala.
I used my time to rest, meet fellow guests, staff and, to some extent, local people on my daily walks among the paddy fields, coffee groves, coconut and banana plants, and beans ....yes, I watched beans grow! The river was a constant companion; we all heard about the tiger in the jungle, ... but we felt safe in our compound. I did see the glimpse of a wild elephant, and - amazing for India - happy looking, non threatening dogs, playing in the harvested paddy fields.

Staff were always friendly, helpful, and kind. The therapists gave very professional - and very tender, and caring treatments. The doctors were always available for overview, and in case of any specific concerns.

I would suggest: some planned induction for new guests on arrival - like a walk through the facilities and compound. I felt rather 'lost' after a long flight from Britain, losing a night's sleep, then a rather terrifying 4 hour drive (you get used to it, but it is an immersion shock - arrived and left safely, but scarily). Others, new to India, or from long flights, felt the same.
The receptionist, Aniz, helped me adjust, with his friendly warmth and consideration. I think the staff are patient with arrival trauma; but some thought to give a more particular welcome and introduction might help. A simple map of the public areas - yoga rooms, prayer hall, 'hut' for sitting near river, and the names and lay-out of the cottages?

Room Tip: rooms on either side of the 3 room block have a side window, and more light. No rooms, in fact, hav...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

4 Thank heather a
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

We were adviced this place by our ayurvedic doctor in Holland as being one of the best authentic ayurvedic treatment centers. After 3 weeks of panchakarma ( the detoxification treatment) we can say that all the positive feedback from other guests is really true indeed. Although the whole cleaning out programme can give you some difficult moment, the whole staff and all the people who take care of you (4 doctors, all the massage and treatment people, the puja and kalari master, the yoga teacher, the kitchen staff, housekeeping cleaners and gardeners) are there to be at service to you and make your stay as pleasant as possible. There is a vibrant, loving energy in this place, where it is tangible that everbody working here is very happy to be part of this ayurvedic caretaking family. They get a lot of thankfulness and happy smiles back from all the guests and this works like a perpetuum mobile! To end I would like to share 3 tips:
1. All the guesthouses are more or less the same on the inside, only front and middle are less noisy than the back cottages, since in these you hear more sounds from the indian rural people living next to the ayurvedic premises (but NO music and they go to bed very early). AND if you feel something is missing, you can kindly ask and they will provide you, if possible.
2. The ayurvedic whole body massages with oil are traditionally done in a rhythmic way, with a certain pressure and speed. My impression was that sometimes this was done in a routine way, where the strokes were done so fast that it made me personally restless. It took me many days to become aware of this. Once I asked to slow down, the massages became beneficial and relaxing for me! They always ask you: "pressure okay, mam?" but forget to ask: "speed okay, mam?"
3. You don't need to bring old clothes for oil treatment, because they now have long treatment dresses (also for men) that you can buy for very little and the laundry service is very cheap, so make use if this for your own comfort.
4. Finally a tip for those who really seek optimal quietness in which to undergo this internal cleaning process: they do have 6 guesthouses way up in the mountain, with same treatment care, 1 doctor, same balanced food diet, yoga teacher etc. For booking this hill-top place send them an email for more detail and information ♡♡♡

Room Tip: All guesthouses are the same and when you miss something you can tell and they will try to provide...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

6 Thank fardiyah
Willebadessen, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

It is not a holiday resort, but a serious no frills clinic practising authentic Ayurveda treatments and diet. The excellent doctors I saw daily listened to me and took notice, as I did them. I felt confident all along that they truly wanted to help me.

I arrived at the AYV with a list of remaining side effects from Chemo and Radio therapy, as well as fear of the disease returning, of which each were treated successfully. I wanted to help cure myself too, with their help, so opened my mind and belief to it, knowing instinctively when I booked up it was the right choice. When I left after 6 weeks care, I was given several packages of medication to take home to continue taking over the next 6 months which is an extra boost to my confidence. Some problems cannot be cured overnight and need more time.

Very quickly you feel you have been welcomed into a big close family. I certainly felt a belonging to that family and there was a tug on my heart strings when I left to go home. All the staff work hard, willingly, and always with smiles and prayers. Pooja, Bhajan, meditation, breath, and yoga also all played a big part in the healing process.

I had no problems at all with the booking and enjoyed a perfect spot in a back cottage, surrounded by exotic butterfly and bird filled shrubs and trees, giving both sun and shade. The rooms with good en suite bathrooms are also very spacious and cleaned regularly. You will be asked daily if you require a change of bed linen or towels, or have other requests.

The wider surroundings are beautiful. The river has a special mesmerizing feel to it, full of positive spiritual energy. There is space to roam up and down the river bank, or to the village, and a short walk away is a raft crossing to Kuruva Island, where I particularly felt a powerful pull of mystique spiritual energy. As I am a lover of nature and wildlife, I found plenty to photograph and observe, finding it easy to slip away alone for a while.

The final 6th week I stayed at the Udayigiri Retreat up in the mountains, which was equally as satisfying. It is much smaller and quieter, and ideal for rejuvenation after treatment.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
9 Thank Jane212014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalpetta
Sharoy Resort
Petals Resorts Wayanad
#4 of 19 in Kalpetta
Rain Country Resorts, Lakkidi,Wayanad
Coffea Aroma Resort - Wayanad

Been to Ayurveda Yoga Villa? Share your experiences!