“a wonderful intense and yet relaxing detoxification treatment”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalpetta
Ayurveda Yoga Villa
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Kalpetta
Reviewed March 21, 2014

We were adviced this place by our ayurvedic doctor in Holland as being one of the best authentic ayurvedic treatment centers. After 3 weeks of panchakarma ( the detoxification treatment) we can say that all the positive feedback from other guests is really true indeed. Although the whole cleaning out programme can give you some difficult moment, the whole staff and all the people who take care of you (4 doctors, all the massage and treatment people, the puja and kalari master, the yoga teacher, the kitchen staff, housekeeping cleaners and gardeners) are there to be at service to you and make your stay as pleasant as possible. There is a vibrant, loving energy in this place, where it is tangible that everbody working here is very happy to be part of this ayurvedic caretaking family. They get a lot of thankfulness and happy smiles back from all the guests and this works like a perpetuum mobile! To end I would like to share 3 tips:
1. All the guesthouses are more or less the same on the inside, only front and middle are less noisy than the back cottages, since in these you hear more sounds from the indian rural people living next to the ayurvedic premises (but NO music and they go to bed very early). AND if you feel something is missing, you can kindly ask and they will provide you, if possible.
2. The ayurvedic whole body massages with oil are traditionally done in a rhythmic way, with a certain pressure and speed. My impression was that sometimes this was done in a routine way, where the strokes were done so fast that it made me personally restless. It took me many days to become aware of this. Once I asked to slow down, the massages became beneficial and relaxing for me! They always ask you: "pressure okay, mam?" but forget to ask: "speed okay, mam?"
3. You don't need to bring old clothes for oil treatment, because they now have long treatment dresses (also for men) that you can buy for very little and the laundry service is very cheap, so make use if this for your own comfort.
4. Finally a tip for those who really seek optimal quietness in which to undergo this internal cleaning process: they do have 6 guesthouses way up in the mountain, with same treatment care, 1 doctor, same balanced food diet, yoga teacher etc. For booking this hill-top place send them an email for more detail and information ♡♡♡

Room Tip: All guesthouses are the same and when you miss something you can tell and they will try to provide...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
6  Thank fardiyah

Reviewed March 1, 2014

It is not a holiday resort, but a serious no frills clinic practising authentic Ayurveda treatments and diet. The excellent doctors I saw daily listened to me and took notice, as I did them. I felt confident all along that they truly wanted to help me.

I arrived at the AYV with a list of remaining side effects from Chemo and Radio therapy, as well as fear of the disease returning, of which each were treated successfully. I wanted to help cure myself too, with their help, so opened my mind and belief to it, knowing instinctively when I booked up it was the right choice. When I left after 6 weeks care, I was given several packages of medication to take home to continue taking over the next 6 months which is an extra boost to my confidence. Some problems cannot be cured overnight and need more time.

Very quickly you feel you have been welcomed into a big close family. I certainly felt a belonging to that family and there was a tug on my heart strings when I left to go home. All the staff work hard, willingly, and always with smiles and prayers. Pooja, Bhajan, meditation, breath, and yoga also all played a big part in the healing process.

I had no problems at all with the booking and enjoyed a perfect spot in a back cottage, surrounded by exotic butterfly and bird filled shrubs and trees, giving both sun and shade. The rooms with good en suite bathrooms are also very spacious and cleaned regularly. You will be asked daily if you require a change of bed linen or towels, or have other requests.

The wider surroundings are beautiful. The river has a special mesmerizing feel to it, full of positive spiritual energy. There is space to roam up and down the river bank, or to the village, and a short walk away is a raft crossing to Kuruva Island, where I particularly felt a powerful pull of mystique spiritual energy. As I am a lover of nature and wildlife, I found plenty to photograph and observe, finding it easy to slip away alone for a while.

The final 6th week I stayed at the Udayigiri Retreat up in the mountains, which was equally as satisfying. It is much smaller and quieter, and ideal for rejuvenation after treatment.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
9  Thank Jane212014
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Hello, I'm Cristina. I spent four weeks at AYV on February. Sunny and warm weather. High energy place with beautiful natural surroundings, lovely and inspiring riverside. I went there for a check up and I discovered ayurveda way of life that enchanted me as it is an holistic approach of human being.Excellent physicians and therapists, with daily consultation and treatment, good cooking, kind and competent staff supporting me on each stage of the cure. Explanations and personal advices during my stay which helped me to understand and trust my body and have a positive attitude to profit from this "cleaning process" . I got back home with medicines and practical daily chart to follow the process I started at AYV.I highly recommend this cure to those who want to take care of their physical, mental and spiritual balance and maintain health and happy daily life .

Room Tip: Chose front river view cottages
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank crisoli555
Reviewed February 27, 2014

After some research on the net a couple of years ago we chose Ayurveda yoga villa as the one to receive the kind of treatment we wanted (my husband suffers from Rheumatoid Arthritis). We have since been three times sampling both properties - one on the river and one in the mountains and have found them both to be excellent for the Ayurvedic treatments, surroundings and the staff are very friendly and helpful.
We have met many like minded people (who look for a natural, holistic way of healing) and many of them have told us that they had visited other centres, however, this was the best.
As stated in their literature it is not a resort with swimming pool and other western type treatments but a full body and mind treatment which allows you to get the most out of this kind of treatment. My husband has found this very effective and we are planning another visit to keep this auto immune disease in check. They also don't give you false promises and have told him that his rheumatoid arthritis cannot be cured but they can improve his condition and this has proved to be the case.
The head doctor Dr Vipin is there full time now and is very thorough and assesses everyone individually then recommends the treatments needed. There are doctor's appointments every day and treatments as well as yoga twice a day. Mureli the pharmacist and yoga teachers Shakti and Sunil are very spiritual and enthusiastic teachers.
The whole package which includes full board, consultations and treatments is very reasonable and the accommodation is comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank atodmccarthy
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

My journey to Ayurveda yoga Villa started last year during a casual conversation with a friend of mine who narrated his trip to me about a break from our mundane activities and the positive changes he noticed after his trip. A conversation which I almost forgot till December when I read an article on ayurveda holistic approach to the body,mind and soul. It was a turning point when I think in retrospect which encouraged me to research more on Ayurveda and AYV which my friend mentioned to me, I booked my stay and flight the same day for Feb. After a trip to UK for some office work,my flight to Kozhikode was approx 12 hrs inclusive of the stop @ Dubai.The rollercoaster ride to AYV is approx 3h45min which include atleast 1hr of hill ascent.On reaching AYV I was greeted by the receptionist to fill some form before being allocated my room.With still the jet lag effect I consulted the ayurvedic doctor and a relaxation oil massage was scheduled in the evening.My first night was a bit awful since I have never slept on such a hard mattress and no TV and WiFi was a bit difficult to cope with.The next day my yoga class was a challenge to me being completely ignorant of the poses n stretching require but after a few gentle classes in the evening,I was gaining confidence.I met all the guests who were of various nationalities and came to AYV through either tripadvisor or a friend recommendation like myself.AYV is not resort but more like an ashram in the 21th century with some modern amenities to suit western exigencies.All staffs were really helpful and I must say their overall attitude made my stay very pleasant,special mention to Kishore.After a few days,I really started feeling more energised and less stressed, in addition I started to notice some few changes such as my eyes iris was browner to mention a few.It's highly advised to bring some books and a few movies in your laptop since after it will keep you engaged in between treatment/consultation time.
I would say that AYV has some negative aspects but the positive ones outweighs them.If you are looking for true Ayurveda which is not only limited to ayurvedic treatments but for a holistic approach then AYV is definitely worth it.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank RVKJ08
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The moment I stepped out of my taxi in the early morning mist after nearly 30 hrs of travelling I felt myself entering another world. I was being greeted in a most welcoming manner by one of the staff who spoke very good English and seemed to be used to dealing with new arrivals coming from the Western hemisphere.
It took me a while to get to know the ways of this "little world" and also to settle into its rhythm. And I must admit that having read the reports of trip advisor of more critically minded guests before coming here helped me to adapt more easily and to better deal with some of the eccentricities of the place.
Like any world, this place has its bright and its dark aspects but I feel that the bright ones definetly overweigh the other ones.
Was is making this place so special and quite unforgetable are the truly lovely people who are working there. And some of them are not simply doing their best to be accomodating and helpful but are actually highly compentent in their field of work. I am feeling most grateful to have had the opportunity to make their acquaintance/to have been under their care.
Another thing which I was truly grateful for was the very fresh organically grown food which was being lovingly and most skillfully prepared by ever smiling cooks and serverd by likewise always cheerful waiters.

However, like I have said, it is not a perfect world but I feel it might be better not to speak about its "shadows" because after all their gravitude is being defined by one's attitude and set of mind. ;-)

I for my part will certainly return there one day and am already looking forward to it. :-)

Room Tip: In der hintersten Reihe der River Front Cottages hat man zwar die schönste Aussicht hört jedoch früh...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Pameena
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Ayurveda Yoga Villa is a really great destination for those who are suffering from 'hamster wheel' syndrome, and who are looking for a total break. The natural riverside setting is stunning. The whole set up is very much that of a 'family' and you are welcomed into the fold from the moment you arrive. I would recommend thoroughly researching what your Ayurvedic break will entail - I was expecting just relaxing massages on my 'Wellness Break', and got rather more than I bargained for! However, I am so glad I went along with it - despite the fact some treatments/processes were tougher than I anticipated, I felt truly amazing at the end of my stay, and was very grateful for the opportunity to have experienced authentic Ayurvedic practices at the hands of experts in the field. The girls administering the treatments were so professional and discreet. Special mention must go to Piyush - the Yoga teacher - who worked extremely hard and really encouraged me throughout my stay. I was very much a Yoga beginner but through encouragement and some helpful re-positioning (!) I felt I made genuine progress and hope to keep it up now I have returned home. Piyush went about his work with a relaxed and good natured approach - as did all the employees at this resort, whether they were Doctors, Housekeeping, the Kitchen staff or Guest Relations. It's a real gem of a find in a totally remote location. Don't expect luxury, but do expect to leave feeling fully reconnected with what's truly important in life.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank MsHMT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalpetta
15 mi away
15 mi away
Petals Resorts Wayanad
Petals Resorts Wayanad
#3 of 22 in Kalpetta

Been to Ayurveda Yoga Villa? Share your experiences!