“Authentic Ayurvedic Resort experience! (traveling with a toddler)”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kalpetta
Ayurveda Yoga Villa
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Kalpetta
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Wow! My husband and I both study ayurveda in the US and we were blown away by how wonderful, authentic and yet also family like this gorgeous resort was. We came with our almost 2 year old for 10 days and loved every minute of it. From the moment we got out of the car we were welcomed by the beautiful Fasila who greeted us with a big smile and gave us hot chai while we checked in. Our toddler had caught a stomach bug from a previous resort and when we told the staff at AYV, they immediately arranged her to see the doctor and tended to all our needs. The food here is clean, fresh, homegrown and delicious. The water is pure and drinkable for sensitive American bellies. You are surrounded by flowers, tropical birds, fresh air, the gorgeous river, and all the warm and friendly staff - it is truly paradise. We stayed in the Riverside Front Cottages and loved walking onto our patio to hear the river softly rushing below, lots of birds chirping and the occasional goat or cow. All of the staff gave our daughter so much attention and love, as if she was their own. The doctors are very knowledgeable and the treatments were incredible. Our family loved attending pooja on Wed and Sat nights. What more can I say? It is a bit of a trek from the city but I would highly recommend making the trip! We did not want to leave.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank AyurLove

Reviewed January 3, 2013

AYV is a beautiful place set in the lush green valleys of northern Kerala (location!). The people and the place has a gentleness that touches you deep within. I spent 16 days in this little green heaven on Earth and each day was a wonderful experience. In the beginning I was not sure how I would pass my time without a TV or internet …but time just flew and I made some wonderful friendships from people around the world.

AYV is not a fancy resort and does not claim to be one. The cottages are basic but clean and comfortable. Well the mattresses & pillows could use some upgrading. Energy saving CF bulbs makes the evening atmosphere dim. So take some flash lights or brighter bulbs with you or ask the front desk to get you a bedside lamp or two. Asking is all it takes and the general manager of the place Saji – will make sure that your request is carried out. It would be nice if all cottages had mosquitoes screens on the windows so we could have left the windows wide open while sleeping. The sounds of the river flowing and the crickets chirping is magical and soothing.

Every program described on the AYV web page touches all your senses and leaves you relaxed. The food is excellent - managed wonderfully by the resident chef - Jithin and his staff. Each meal is freshly cooked, tasty, and served with love and care. Sunday lunch "feast" being the absolute special. The doctors and the massage therapists manage your treatments and all you need to do is show up for your treatment at the right place at the right time and leave yourself in their able hands. The yoga teachers, especially Shakti with her knowledge of Prayana has really helped me bring quiet in my day. She zeroed in on my impatient nature and gave me some simple breathing exercises that I can do even while driving the kids to school. They keep my day balanced and my blood pressure down. The bhajans sung by the staff, especially by Prosobh (sp?) were amazing. His voice is magical. I am not a very religious person but the cadence and rhythms of his chants made me want to dance and lose myself in the music.

We also had the good fortune of meeting the person who had the vision and started AYV. Ajith. He was born in the area and is very dedicated to the principals’ of Ayurveda. All the produce is local and organically grown, the milk comes from his own cows, the medicinal herbs come from the local forests and are compounded in an on-site pharmacy, the water we drank was ground water that was pulled up and processed for the use of all the guests - he thus provides jobs to all the locals and creates a sustainable environment. It felt good to be a part of all this albeit for only 2 weeks. I know I will go back…(Ajith - if you are reading this - please get new mattresses - the ones like Udhyagiri :-) )

I went with the goal of losing some weight and getting off my allopathic blood pressure medications. I did achieve both during my stay at AYV and more.

Room Tip: The rooms with herbal walls I hear have the mosquito netting on the windows - get those so you can s...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank MeenaSpangrud
Reviewed January 1, 2013

than I can recommend this place. It is a beautiful way to get connected to your body and soul again. all people, who work there, did a great job and treated us like friends, even better they become friends. when the girls started to pray before my first massage-treatment, I was overwhelmed hearing them singing and felt my eyes filled with tears.
also at the ghee - drinking ceremony, you have the feeling they really try to rise the spiritual energy on this place. It's not faked, the people are really nice and with Shakti you will find a great yoga-teacher, where i always had the feeling, we just see the top of an icecube, 2/3 of her knowledge and what she knows about yoga and meditation, is under the surface. but that makes her classes so impressive, so special. she is a role model for serenity, joy and wholeheartedness.
after the whole system is built out of communal spirit and teamwork, the different bricks - like kitchen, yoga ,kalhari, cleaning, bhajans - we loved the singing with the musicians, cleaning, doctors, puujhas with the very serios and lovely Hari, are human and fragil, when one brick looses the quality, the team behind will try to fix it in no time.
The mountain place is still a work in progress, but also gives you the great chance to experience yourself in a quiet and naturally environment.
so i say thank you to all who are working for this special place.
we met people from all over the world and there was a special connection between us, - we all experienced the loving spirit of the house!!!
we loved it and would like to come again, - hopefully with reading lights next to every bed ;)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Eva K
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I spend 3 weeks in AYV and i would like to share my impressions:

A well balanced cure system according to Ayurveda.
Food, Yoga, Treatments, Medicine(which they produce by themself) and conditions of residence.

Well organised work of physicians (therapists) Qualified doctors.

Good rooms (bed could be softer) big space inside as well as outside.

Great management.

My first step on AYV ground I got the feeling I have been there before. A heavenly blessed place. The lacation is perfect and peaceful. One of my work collegue recommended me the AYV and this was a wonderful choice.
I came here to cleansed my body and soul and to relax. I went along with the "PANCHAKARMA" a vey new experience for me and a rewarded one.

My room was located next to the river "riverside cottage" you could hear the flow of the river. In front the colourful garden with lots of butterflies.
I would like to thanks everybody supporting me during the 3 weeks. Specially the doctors who make me feel young and beautiful again.

Thank You to "Jithin" and his great kitchen team for preparing delicious food specially the Sunday feast and not to forget the desert. Thank You to "Shakti " for inhaling an exhaling(smile).Thank You to all the " Therapists" you got gold fingers. Not to forget the " Housekeeping Ladies" and the Gardening crew. You are doing a great and wonderful job.
Thank You to "Hari" for the great pooja everyday. " Prasobh" your precious voice it was a great pleasure hearing you doing Bhajans and singing. Many thanks to the driver, the electrician and also the security.
A special thanks to Ajith. Always caring and supporting all the guess as well as the village people.

If you think your life can use an uplift, then go to AYV for "PANCHAKARMA" It will really make a big difference. Body and Soul will be cleansed thorougly. There will be a room for a new vision on life. The staff is really caring, the food is great, the treatment byound words. The general manager, Mr Ajayakumar Poovathkunnel, makes sure your stay will be unforgettable. I am really happy I have experienced this. The treatment stimulates to reflect on one`s life. It gives me a boost to make the necessary in life. I big " THANK YOU " from the bottom of my heart for the wonderful and caring staff of AYV. It was a privilege to stay with you.
See you soon.
Chaya
Germany/ Mauritius

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
17  Thank potratz y
Reviewed December 1, 2012

After reading about many Ayurvedic centres and speaking to many people my husband who has arthritis decided that the Ayurvedic yoga villa was best suited to his needs. I went along for weight management and we both found the experience truly rewarding. We spent the first week at the villa having vegan vegetarian food, massage, ayurvedic treatments and two sessions of yoga/meditation a day. It is not a 5star resort and is not billed as such but it is a wonderful place to unwind in a beautiful setting while getting wonderful care by all the staff.
The yoga teachers Shakti and Rohid had different methods but both were excellent in their own way. Jitin the restaurant manager and all the therapists looked after us all so well. The meals were fashioned depending on what treatment you were taking. Some people went to de-stress and others had chronic illnesses to address.
The owner Ajith who was born in the area is very dedicated to giving the most beneficial treatments his guests. This includes sourcing true organic produce to be used in the meals and in the medicines that they produce. It has also provided a lot of work for the local people and they are all happy to be working with him.
The second week we went to their other property Udayagiri further away up in the mountains which has a spectacular location overlooking the plains below and in between forests and coffee plantations. The 7 villas are stepped up the side of the mountain with many steps which was good exercise for us and the staff - Girija the cook and Prabhaker who oversees the villas, Jayesh the male therapist and Naveem and Jay the yoga instructors all gave 100% to their work and were delightful people to boot and the food was delicious.
My husbands arthritis has improved and he has more mobility than before and we both lost over 4 kilos so we have decided to go back at the end of March to "Udayagiri" as we both benefited so much. Well done to the whole team.

Room Tip: At the Ayurvedic yoga villa ask for a front room if you would like to hear the river
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank atodmccarthy
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We went for the experience being in South of India. It is an excellent place for people who are seriously seeking help from Ayurveda. It is isolated from the world and I mean it - it is on Kurva Dweep - Dweep means island so you better be serious about it.

Pros:
1. Amazing massage therapy - don't be surprised this one is unlike any other, it is suggested as per your body by the doctor. 4 hands & your are butt naked.
2. They know what they are doing and very professional about it
3. helpful with things in and around the villa

Cons
1. We were leaving and I requested if the morning therapy can be moved to a better time wasn't the case. What I felt sad about we were scheduled without being consulted 7AM - Obviously we missed it
2. Over emails I was told yoga practiced is Ashthanga whereas it was a much milder version perhaps for others who had joined in.

Otherwise an amazing experience and a place. Staff is helping and tries their best to cope up with everyone's requirements.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank patialaroyalz
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I went here this Oct 2012 for a 1 week Ayurveda DE-stressing stay at the Ayurveda Yoga Villa. I was experiencing all sorts of stress and headaches from the modern city life back in my home country which was the biggest reason for my retreat to Ayurveda Yoga Villa.
The place is quiet, peaceful serene, isolated (so do not expect modern facilities like cafes, TV, WIFI...) They have PC with internet but its usually down and there is no phone services. However, the receptionist (Ms Shakti) will try her best to let you use the phones for calls if needed, you just have to pay for the usage. So perhaps, you want to make arrangements for internet and overseas phone calls beforehand on your own if you require the service when you are there. The whole reason for this set is to experience the natural way of a healthy lifestyle.
Ayurveda Yoga Villa provides you the complete relaxation and other Ayurveda treatments from the most caring and professional doctors. I was so impressed by the doctors, esp Dr. Vipin, the massage therapists, yoga teachers, all the staffs. Every one was so caring and good to all the guests, treating each one of us as their utmost responsibility and i certainly felt like I was a family member there. I was not disappointed in any of the staffs there, as each of them exceeded my expectations. They try their level best to meet your requirements and provide you the best care, treatment and services. I felt so relaxed, mentally, physically, spiritually and holistically healed in just 3 days! I am back home now and am still feeling so calm, healthy, relaxed and well. Now I am fully recharged and rejuvenated and it is like I am starting a new chapter in my life. God Bless the people in Ayurveda Yoga Villa for their kindness. Thank You so much!

Room Tip: All rooms are simple, similar and nice. Remember to have your own phone and internet services if y...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Isis_Jessica
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalpetta
15 mi away
#2 of 5 in Ambalavayal
Hiliya Resort
Hiliya Resort
#2 of 3 in Kenichira

Been to Ayurveda Yoga Villa? Share your experiences!