“fave”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Stroud, United Kingdom
“fave”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Been a favourite haunt for years, and many still to come I'm sure. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, go and forge one of your own! If you fancy something a little different in a relaxed friendly country pub you wont go wrong, if you're after fine dinning and silver service with stiff collared waiting staff, enquiring as to the standard of your every mouthful....... give it a miss. Enjoy!

Visited December 2013

London
“Great Pies”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Had a couple of great pies, and great beers. So good we took a couple home with us to cook ourselves (they do Takeaways). The Root Veg option is particularly good.

• Visited December 2013
“Pie and pints ;)”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Used to be my local 25 years ago, still not much beats a few pints of 6X and a steak and mushroom pie on a Winter's evening!

Visited December 2013
“Zero customer service. Average food”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We visited the pub for a small new year get together with a party of 5 and I would like to both warn others and offer advice to the owner as we were not asked how the meal was during our visit.

First impressions were good with a relatively small, cosy country pub atmosphere. We were then introduced to the establishment by one of the drones that were to be serving us that evening. When I say zero personality and zero customer service skills this is by no means an exaggeration. Unless there was some tradegy that we were not made aware of then there is simply no excuse for a landlord or manager to allow such talentless zombies to be front of house.

I have visited many gastro style pubs and fair enough you can get the odd one who lack the confidence or social ability to make their paying guests feel welcome but here it was mandatory.

Ok so here are the actual lowlights of our experience.

No personality or basic customer service.
Were not shown to our table.
Never asked if we were ok for drinks.
Food was passed to other guests to pass along.
Had to go to the bar and interupt staff having a chat to request the table be cleared after 15 minutes of waiting without service.
Never asked if we would like coffees or deserts upon clearing the table.
Were not asked if the food was ok at any point.
The total price was requested by the bar staff after all this without even a simple "please".
Pretentious signature 2 in 1 pie is average and that is being fair.

All in all I was disappointed with the choice of venue but none of this was mentioned at the time so we managed to have a nice time with family. If we would have been asked about our experience I would have given my comments instead of airing on line.

From a disappointed thirty something not an old Victor Meldrew. Even with the mediocre service standards in Britain...I would expect better.

3 Thank Phil E
Wotton-under-Edge, United Kingdom
“Good beer, good food”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I knew this pub from my teenage years in the 1980s. Like many Cotswold pubs, it had what might best be described as rustic charm in those days (e.g. no roof on the gents' toilets, as I remember). I've recently eaten there twice with my wife. Although much has changed over the past three decades (gulp!), I'm happy to report that it still keeps a very nice cellar - I enjoyed my 6X and Uley Old Spot. The food, too, is excellent - the 2-in-1 pies have deservedly become famous. Although prices are hardly bargain-basement, portions are ample. There's a general air of a very well run establishment - spotlessly clean and with all the necessary country pub accoutrements (log fire - check; customers' spaniels - check; misshapen wooden beams - check). Any negatives? No, not really, although I could wish that the mostly male staff were a little warmer. They're perfectly efficient and correct; it's just that there's a certain clipped, don't-suffer-fools-gladly attitude which made me a little nervous every time I approached the bar (perhaps the landlord has a military background?). They could perhaps learn a little in that regard from the wonderfully friendly staff at the famous Old Spot Inn in Dursley. But that's a minor quibble. All in all, an excellent pub.

• Visited December 2013