“Brilliant evening and amazing antlers!”

The Ragged Cot Restaurant
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
“Brilliant evening and amazing antlers!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

We were looked after really well. Enjoyed the whole evening especially the food. Staff were friendly and the amazing French work bench used as a dresser in the restaurant area and the antlers wow wow wow where did they get them from.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
South Gloucestershire
“Mixed bag”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I should start by saying that the staff are very friendly, and you cannot fault the welcoming atmosphere. Some of the dishes I have eaten there have been excellent, but occasionally you have a real damp squib, which lowers my rating.

Visited September 2012
Corona del Mar, California
“Friendly staff, great food.”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This country restaurant has an interesting history involving highwaymen. Our server was a charming young lady who seemed happy to tell us about it. The menu had more than the typical fare, all well executed and served.

Visited October 2012
minchinhampton
“Banned for returning a well done steak when ordered medium rare!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My partner and I visited this restaurant for a celebration meal. We ordered our starter of scallops, which we enjoyed, but at 9.50 for three scallops, we felt it was very overpriced. We had both ordered rump steak at the time of ordering the scallops and had asked for them to be cooked medium rare. On finishing our starter, the waiter took our plates and informed us that our steaks were on their way. Surprised at the speed that our meal was progressing, we asked for our main course to be delayed for a while in order to digest our starter. The waiter was very polite and said that this was no problem.Two minutes later he returned to inform us that the chef had already cooked our steaks so we had to have them now. We politely refused saying that we were out for the evening and did not want our dining experience to be over in such a short time and could he give us 20 minutes or so. Half an hour later, the waiter brought our steaks to us. We were presented with 2 unevenly cut, dried up, well done slabs of meat. Not wanting to cause a fuss, we started to eat our food. However, the steaks were dry and chewy and we felt compelled to speak to the waiter, reminding him that we had ordered 2 medium rare steaks. He was apologetic ,ageeing that they were indeed well done and that he would replace them for us. Almost immediately, he returned from the kitchen saying that whilst the chef was happy to accept the returned steaks, he was not going to replace them and wanted us to leave the restaurant straight away and not come back!!!!!!!!!!! The waiter was very apologetic and embarrassed and had been put in a very difficult position. When I asked to speak to the owner, we were informed that the chef, that night, was the owner!!!!!!!!!!
The owner then met my partner at the back of the pub and warned him, not to mess with him because he has anger management problems!!!!!!!!!!!!
This man is a bully and I would advise everyone to give this place a wide berth. The only positive I can say is that the waiter who handled things was polite and as professional as he could be, given the impossible position he was placed in by his oaf of an employer.

18 Thank julia m
Stroud
“change of owner”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I understand the Ragged Cot changed hands 2 or 3 months ago and earlier reviews may not reflect on the excellent food my wife and I enjoyed early on a Saturday evening. The restaurant overlooks a pleasant garden with an outside seating area. The staff were friendly, efficient and helpful. Looking forward to a return visit.

• Visited September 2012