“Cyclist needed a place to stay, rude landlady turned me away” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Nibley Farmhouse B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blakeney
Old Nibley Farmhouse B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 Blakeney B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Cyclist needed a place to stay, rude landlady turned me away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I didn't get to stay so I can't comment on the facilities! I had cycled over 75 miles that day and was still 5 miles from my booked accommodation. It was getting dark and I was very tired so I decided to stop early when I saw the Vacancies sign at this B&B. There was a big sign saying that cyclists were welcome. However the landlady turned her nose up at me, and said that she only had a double room. I said that was fine and that I'd pay even though there was only me, and she then said no, it was the weekend so I could only stay 2 nights not one (it was Thursday). She made it clear she just wanted me to go away, even though she knew I really needed the room and was desperate enough to pay what it took. She really was a very mean person. Thankfully the George at Lydney another 3 miles down the road welcomed me with open arms, went out of their way to keep the kitchen open for me and were generally brilliant. Go there instead!

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Liz A
chocomocco, Owner at Old Nibley Farmhouse B&B, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
I turned her away because I already had a tentative booking for that room for two nights and all my other rooms were already booked out and I had no intention of turning the other people away seeing that they had telephoned ahead, so what she said is not strictly true - perhaps I could have been a bit more forthcoming with her but she said she already had a booking at another place which was less than 5 miles away. Also it was not late evening, it wasn't even 5pm. We have many guests who pull up needing a room at the last minute and in most cases we can accommodate them but this time it was unfortunate that we could not. The place she booked but didn't stay at probably lost that night's booking and they have no recourse via a review system. The place she did stay at is a pub so it is no surprise nor special deal that the kitchen was open at that time of the evening. We are not a pub, just a B&B that has a small domestic kitchen, like most small B&Bs. My advice is if you travel during the height of the holiday season, especially very long distances in a hilly area by bike, and don't have any back up telephone numbers for accommodation with you then you may very well be turned away because they are already booked out, and in these days of mobile phones, Blackberrys, iPhones & Apps, it is much easier to find out what is available if not near a land line.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

stayed there 14th and 15th august, could not fault it, everything was spotless clean, lovely room with digital tv, on-suite large bathroom with everything you can think of there, as i only forgot my shaving foam & there was shaving gel already there. from hand made soap, razor blades, toothbrushes etc. the owners was so friendly & bent over backwards to keep us happy. breakfast was 100%, everything from muslei to full english etc. the grounds was a beautiful site with relaxing places to sit. there home made soap is like no other ive ever used & brought some from them as i was leaving. there is lots to do in a few miles radius & puzzlewood was one we really enjoyed. will never forget this amazing stay & will hope to return in the near future. gerard kirwan. gerardkirwan@hotmail.com

Room Tip: our family filled all the rooms & all was 100% beautiful
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank gerardkirwan
Knebworth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

We decided on a long-weekend on a Friday and were lucky enough to find Old Nibley. They have a nice B&B oasis right off of a fairly busy road. Upon arrival we had some concerns about the noise from the road but the secondary glazing they installed was first rate we had no sleeping problems (in spite of being very sensitive sleepers!). Miriam and Gary have done much to make the place special - the rooms and bathrooms have had a lot of attention. I cannot imagine you lacking for anything (many specialty toiletries have been choosen, or even made, by the owners). We quickly came to feel welcome in their house and took advantage of the lovely gardens each day. Breakfast was first rate. Take the time to explore the garden. We can reccomend the Cock Inn pub/restaurant which is almost across the street - a nice 'feeling' pub with good food. It is not gastro-pub (nor luckily gastro pub prices!) but it definitely above average.

Room Tip: Russian (Purple) room is nice but a bit small.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
n ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

Stayed with our two grown-up children and their partners. A very good base to explore Forest of Dean as well as being only half-an-hour from Gloucester and an hour and a half from Bath. Don't rely on sat-navs (!) ours confidently took us up (and down) cattle tracks and along tiny country roads (unless you really want to to that of course) Old Nibley is on the A 48! Stay on it.
marion and gary very friendly and helpful and breakfasts were very delicious. Marion makes her own bread.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

Stayed here two nights with my girlfriend. This place is cosy, characterful (is that a word?) and as welcoming as you could ever find. Our room was on the top floor in the eaves of the house and felt like a nice little flat, with sofa, reading area, CD and radio, tea making area, lots of cupboards, etc etc. The decoration was great, with Moroccan touches here and there but lots and lots of old cottage character, which was great. The bullding itself is beautiful. The attention to detail was great, and meant we could stay there happily all day if we wanted: nice toiletries, handmade soaps, a massive range of tea and coffee provided free, milk provided for you fridge, etc.

The hosts provide a neat little book with virtually everything you could want to know about the B&B and the area, with detailed tips on where to eat, drink, what to see, masses of local history, cultural info about the area etc. This was a pretty good read in its own right and it's obvious they know and love the area deeply.

In general, they could hardly have been more helpful. They gave tips on where to eat at difficult times, what was good to see, where to get stuff etc. I borrowed one of their books, they printed us out maps when needed etc. And they have lovely friendly cats.

The only possible downsides of our rooms were tiny, really, in that if you were very tall you might bump your head on the eaves, and in the winter that top room might not be the warmest.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2010

Due to exceptionally deep snow we were unable to travel and so had to cancel. This was done on the morning of the day of our arrival. We expected to lose the deposit (£35) but were surprised to learn that it was considered by the proprietor as normal practice to charge us the full amount (ie a further £35). As it happens, this did not happen. However this has never been our experience before and although this establishment receives glowing praise (which prompted us to make the booking), we found the terms and conditions of the booking unacceptable..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 186364Mike
chocomocco, Owner at Old Nibley Farmhouse B&B, responded to this review, December 10, 2010
In response to this I would say that we are not the only establishment that takes a non-refundable deposit, 2) we are not the only establishment that would charge the full amount for cancelling - in our case we only charge the remainder of the 1st nights stay if we cannot re-let the room, 3) in this case we waived the full charge.

Our T&Cs are detailed in full on our website and reiterated again on the confirmation letter and invoice sent out. If this person had taken the time to read all this at time of booking he would have been fully aware of them at that stage, and if missed then he would have had them in front of him on receiving the confirmation documentation. To state that he finds our T&Cs unacceptable after the fact gives him no cause to complain as he had two opportunities that he clearly did not take. We are hiding nothing and acted according to our policy - the wording is "may be liable for full amount" and not "will be liable". Under these conditions we acted with discretion and did not charge.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

We had a very enjoyable 2 night stay here and wished we could have stayed longer. Our room on the top floor was very attractively designed and made a pleasant change from the usual bland hotel rooms. There was a very comfortable king sized bed, a sofa and fridge and a beautiful en-suite and it was a very cosy and welcoming space to retreat to in the evenings. There were so many thoughtful touches; a flask of fresh milk for hot drinks, a bottle of filtered water cooling in the fridge, a wide choice of quality tea and coffee and a very generously filled jar of biscuits which I'm afraid we made short work of having missed out on an evening meal! Breakfasts were excellent and Marian was a wonderful hostess, very welcoming and full of helpful advice about the area. She made us feel very at ease in her lovely home and I would highly recommend Old Nibley Farmhouse as an excellent base for exploring the Forest of Dean and surrounding area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blakeney
The Speech House Hotel
DeanGate Motel
DeanGate Motel
#1 of 1 in Lydney
The George Inn & Millingbrook Lodge

Been to Old Nibley Farmhouse B&B? Share your experiences!