“Serious problems with customer service skills!”
Review of The Eliot Arms

The Eliot Arms
Ranked #1 of 2 South Cerney B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Now I must be honest, I didn't eat here, I only visited for a drink and visited on probably their busiest day of the year. Bank Holiday (Duck Race Day). However that really is no excuse for what I witnessed.
Two young ladies sitting beside me had ordered food. One of them returned hers to the bar with a complaint that the sauce was like water.
Eventaully the landlady/manager came out to see her. The conversation went like this, and bear in mind this was for all to hear.
M. I undestand you had a problem with your food.
C. Yes the sauce on it is like water, it's runny.
M. Well that's not really our fault the fact that you just don't like it.
C. It says it is a creamy tomatoe sauce. There is no cream it's like water. It has no taste.
M.I'll take it back to the chef and see what he says. I can't really give you a re-fund just because you didn't like it.
A COUPLE OF MINUTES PASS AND THE MANAGER RETURNS.
M.The chef say's that's how it's delivered in it's packet so there's nothing wrong with it. I can't give you a re-fund but I can offer you an exchange.
C.I don't want an exchange it really is not nice. You advertise it as a creamy tomatoe sauce. There is no way that is creamy. I don't want anything else thank you.
Two minutes later the manager slammed a refund on her table and said, There's your re-fund I hope your happy now and walked off.

I think a lesson in customer service skills is needed here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank ferandane

Reviewed May 19, 2013

we did not expect to much from booking an overnight stop in the Eliot Arms, but where surprised by the pleasant old English pub with superb food and very pleasant staff. We would return to this venue and spent another couple of nights here.

Room Tip: Ask for room 10 a pleasant suite of 3 rooms
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I ate here on a Saturday night. I telephoned couple of days before to reserve a table and I am glad I did, as the pub and restaurant was really busy.

The bar staff and waiting staff are very friendly. We had the 2 meals for £10.00 offer and both our meals were very good, along with a couple of drinks and a dessert, it made for a very reasonably priced night out.

The menu is very extensive and there are a few offers, such as curry nights, and Sunday roasts.

The pub is suitable for families, and there is sufficent space between table so you don't feel too overcrowded.

We were staying at Hoburne Cotswold just up the road, so it is a handy local pub to visit while away for the weekend. Will definitely be back very soon!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Diane C
Reviewed May 12, 2013

we were pleased to find a nice pub with clean rooms, lots of dining rooms with a very friendly feeling to the place. all staff were very good, and the food was also very good and reasonably priced you could have two main meals for £10, a pint for less than £3.00, with a bottle of wine on offer under £7.00.
Breakfast was also good if like me you have to have decaff take your own tea bags but they do have decaff coffee. We would visit again

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Have used this hotel twice now, once at Easter and once for the May bank holiday weekend - lovely old Cotswold village pub. Room good but bathroom really lets it down - desperately needs refurbishing. Staff friendly and helpful, great housekeeper who keeps everything spotless, its such a shame that Marstons don't get the bathroom fixed - it is dated but the worst bit is the ceiling which has clearly suffered leaks from upstairs.
Would still go back there as food great, especially breakfast, and the location is perfect for exploring a beautiful part of the country.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Spent the night in the outside room near the stream with a restful trickling sound all night, lovely. There are cons - bathroom tiles need cleaning/regrouting, carpet showing age. But the water was hot & the room warm.

Evening meal (gammon, egg, chips, peas) excellent value and beer very good. Breakfast also very good - scrambled egg is a good test.
Staff friendly, very cheerful sounds from the kitchen, always a good sign.
Standard pub fare, and outstanding value for money.

Have stayed their before, while was also fine - read some of the poor reviews & approached this stay with some trepidation. It's an old-fashioned pub with rooms not a pretentious smooth gastropub.

Right opposite is a cul de sac called "Bow Wow" - what an address!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed in The Eliot Arms in January 2013 in the four poster bed room in the outside annex. We had booked to stay in a standard double room but were the only guests so got a free upgrade. The room we stayed in was a beautiful little getaway - it had an extra little lounge area and the bathroom was clean. It was also very well heated (it was snowing outside) and felt like the perfect romantic hideaway - very good value for the money. It may not be suitable for anyone who likes perfect silence - the room is next to the stream and rockery (I think this room could have been part of an old mill) and you can hear the water gushing. We quite liked this because it added to the village feel but it may not be everyones taste. The village is lovely - there is a post office across the road, another pub across the road (which sometimes has live music; it was called the George Inn) and a tandori take away next door (which they delivered to the hotel). The Eliot Arms has a pool table and has a very country feel about it but is very authentic (the pool cue was stuck on with cellotape and when my partner put his drink on a wooden shelf, the drink fell off and we were told they couldn't get the shelf changed!). There is also a lovely church 2 minutes away and some lovely walks. I'm not so sure about overly welcoming landlords (they weren't overly friendly, seemed even a bit put out at having guests but maybe it was a bad day) but everything else was lovely; they even included some bottled water and biscuits in the room which was a nice touch.

Room Tip: I can't comment on all the rooms but the four poster room outside in the annex was lovely
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
#11 of 15 in Witney
No photo provided
Mallin
#2 of 2 in South Cerney

Been to The Eliot Arms? Share your experiences!