“Mr Jones”

The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Quedgeley
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Lovely pub.. great settings.. great home cooked food . Fish night was the best.. steak night looks interesting. . And i see they are open for Mother's day lunch... will definitely be popping in again ... many thanks to all the staff...

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christopher H

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I came here with my mom and best friend when visiting my friend in her new home. We came for lunch at The Little Thatch as my friend had enjoyed drinks in here previously. The bar in the hotel is adorable and Ingrid behind the bar was really welcoming and friendly. We didn't have a huge amount of time but we were the only people eating so assumed it would be fine. It wasn't. We ordered two homemade burgers and a bacon, cranberry and brie panini, thinking that wouldn't take too long. After almost an hours wait our food eventually came as we were about to leave. It was definitely not worth the wait. The burgers were cooked to within an inch of their lives, with a tiny portion of charred onions (that we paid extra to have) smothered in cheap mayonnaise that wasn't even on the description on the menu. Served with cheap undressed iceberg lettuce and one piece of cucumber, it was bitterly disappointing. The panini turned out to be a burnt baguette with fatty bacon. The brie and cranberry were nowhere to be seen. The food was inedible apart from the homemade chips which weren't bad. But if we had wanted chips we could have gone to a local chippy. God knows WHAT the chef was doing for an hour, but it was embarrassing. All in all I would not recommend this as a place to eat. Long wait, terrible food. As a place to drink, lovely. Just avoid the kitchen.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank LFordJones
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Very quaint pub with lots of character . Staff are very friendly and polite . The bar is well stocked and very clean . We did not eat in the restaurant but the food they served looked delicious . We paid £50 for one night plus a £3 suppliment each to have a full english breakfast . The room was spotlessly clean and of a decent size . The bed was very comfortable . I slept soundly . There was no noise from outside . We had a nice breakfast apart from the bacon which I didn't like . It was too salty for my liking . But overall everything else was perfect . Ideal hotel for a weekend away to explore the surrounding area !

Room Tip: If you smoke then room 2 is ideal as there is a door n porch just round the corner .
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Due to an error in communication with some friends, I found myself about to go to Gloucester to watch them take on the Monsters from Munster in a Heineken Cup Rugby match without anywhere to stay after the game. My friends had booked into an Hotel but by the time I contacted the hotel it was full.

I chanced upon The Little Thatch Inn on the internet and contacted them. The lady I spoke with was very friendly but did say that they were very busy (invasion on the Munster mobs) and they only had a sinle room available. Before I could say anything, she said she woule do it at a cheaper rate because the basin in the en-suite was cracked, although the sink didn't leak. She took 20% off the normal room rate. All this before I had a chance to say anything.

I took the room and duly arrived on the afternoon of the match. I was welcomed by Laura at the bar, booked in and shown my room with the minimum of fuss albeit very friendly. The room was small but it was clean and was adequate for what I needed. The shower cubicle was a bit small, I am slightly bigger than average I suppose but anyone with a genuinely big build may have struggled to get into the shower. Everything worked well and the shower was powerful enough.

The original building itself dating from the 14th Century was chock full of character. THe extensions ahve been sympathetically done although the newest extension at the rear of the property probably looks a bit too modern compared to the original building.

After booking in, I spent a very pleasant hour in the bar, waiting for my friends, while being hosted by Laura and the equally delightful owner. The following morning at breakfast, the staff on duty were quick, efficient, friendly and professional. I would have no qualms whatsoever about staying at The Little Thatch Inn the next time I am in the area and based on a normal 'Full English Breakfast" which was one of the tastiest I have had, next time I'll try an evening meal which I didn't have the opportunity to taste this time as a rugby game got in the way with Munster monstering the once (and will be again probably) mighty Gloucester.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank BMU91
MrsMcDougall, Manager at The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Good afternoon,
The room that you stayed in was on our job list. We don’t normally let these rooms go until the problem has been fixed. As this was an extremely busy weekend it was decided that if someone needed the room we would give it at a discount with an explanation. The shower tray in the room is actually the standard size but we are currently having the screens replaced as they don’t give a lot of manoeuvrability in that particular room.
I am very glad that you felt welcomed and were looked after by the staff. They all pride themselves on providing a welcoming feeling where the guest is treated as more than just a room number. I am also thrilled that you enjoyed your breakfast with us and very much hope that we get the chance to host you again.
I also hope that you very much enjoyed what was a very good, if disappointing game for us.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Agree almost entirely with TUK58. The point being that this is a very cheap hotel. It was clean, though, and the staff were mostly friendly and helpful.
The food was OK, too. Nothing to write home about, but the kind of thing you would expect in a pub like this.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Good Afternoon. Thank you for your review. We are a bed and breakfast that wants to provide good quality for money. We have a good housekeeping team that do keep our rooms clean and our staff always try and meet the needs of our clientele. I am worried about the term mostly but as there is no further detail, I don’t have much to go on. I hope that you visit us again and that we have improved

Reviewed November 4, 2013

What can I say. The Little Thatch Hotel (built in 1351) is just amazing. Sloping walls and beams. The staff are so friendly and helpful. I can't praise them enough. The meals are basic but delicious. My room was adequate for my needs and extremely clean. I have actually stayed there on two occasions and when next in Gloucester I will definitely be staying again. It is so quaint and so very friendly. Full marks on their friendly and helpful attitude towards we strangers. I felt really at home. I simply love it.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
MrsMcDougall, Owner at The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Good evening, thank you for your enthusiastic review. I am very glad that you enjoy staying with us all the way from Australia and we certainly appreciate you returning to us. I am glad the staff looked after you and that you enjoyed your meals. We aim to provide good quality home cooked food for our guests in a cosy setting. I hope you come back soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the little thatch inn for four nights in October & I will definitely be staying there again if I'm in the area, the staff were very polite & the accommodation was spot on! The meals were cooked to perfection & every night I got in from working my room had been fully cleaned ready for my return, if I had one criticism it would be the size of the tv in my room which is nothing really, I really don't understand why other people are giving the place such bad reviews, for the price you pay the little hatch inn is ideally priced!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Hello. Many thanks for your glowing review. I understand your point regarding the tv and we are currently looking at replacing the one in the room you stayed in. I am glad that you found us to be value for money as we believe given nearby hotels we are very competitive. I do hope we get the chance to welcome you again as we certainly appreciate returning guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Quedgeley
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
Hotel Ibis Gloucester
#3 of 21 in Gloucester
Holiday Inn Express Gloucester - South M5, Jct 12
The Edward Hotel
The Edward Hotel
#7 of 21 in Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Hatton Court Hotel
Hatton Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Holiday Inn Gloucester - Cheltenham

Been to The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!