“Ideal”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Quedgeley
Guisborough, United Kingdom
“Ideal”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the little thatch inn for four nights in October & I will definitely be staying there again if I'm in the area, the staff were very polite & the accommodation was spot on! The meals were cooked to perfection & every night I got in from working my room had been fully cleaned ready for my return, if I had one criticism it would be the size of the tv in my room which is nothing really, I really don't understand why other people are giving the place such bad reviews, for the price you pay the little hatch inn is ideally priced!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MrsMcDougall, Owner at The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Hello. Many thanks for your glowing review. I understand your point regarding the tv and we are currently looking at replacing the one in the room you stayed in. I am glad that you found us to be value for money as we believe given nearby hotels we are very competitive. I do hope we get the chance to welcome you again as we certainly appreciate returning guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I truely wish I'd taken more note of other reports about his place as it is by far the grimmest place I have had the misfortune of using anywhere in the world to date! It is old, dated, dirty (I did not use the shower due to the state of it and chose to slppe in my clothes and escaoe home 1st thing in the morning preferably). If only I had seen the room before the very unfriendly woman at the bar took my money for the room I'd have left immediately. Also to say free WIFI when the WIFI did not work at all was bad. To be 100% fair I would have been more comfortable eating in a McDonalds and sleeping in my car. NEVER AGAIN EVER ! Sadly there is not a single thing positive to say about this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gary A
Hello, thank you for your review. Words cannot describe how I felt reading your review but hopefully I can address you issues. It certainly is an old building as the original building is from 1351, however I would say this was part of its charm as opposed to a negative point. I certainly take offense to the term “dirty” as we are by no means an unclean establishment. Our staff, constantly receive good reports and the lady who checked you in, is definitely not unfriendly. We do take payment on arrival but would have been happy to refund you and let you find somewhere else for the evening if you were this unhappy.

Travelers are raving about these Quedgeley hotels

UK
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed at the Little Thatch so we could stay over in the city following the rugby. The location is rather bizarre, situated on quite a busy road leading into the city, but the hotel/pub is a quaint little thatched place. Initially it is very pleasant, low pitched beams, horse brasses, and all very ‘Englishy-fied”. The staff we met were really helpful and extremely friendly. And the main bar seems very pleasant. The visit became a tad bizarre as we stayed away from the main pub and in a separate annexe that seems more in time with a 1970s hotel and took about five minutes to get there. I assumed, from the online pictures, we’d be staying above the main building, close to the bar. It’s not a major problem, but it does involve walking across the car park for meals etc. The room is like the rest of the annexe, really rather dated. The room was pleasant enough, but it’s desperately in need of updating. All the necessary basics are present and the bed was fine. However, the bathroom was strange. The cubicle shower was tiny, I’m a big lad, but not huge and I struggled to get in and close the doors. The shower unit itself is archaic and trying to get good pressure and hot water at the same time is a major challenge…my girlfriend gave up and showered later that day somewhere else. The bathroom is also carpeted which is odd, and contributes to the strange odour that smelt a bit like an English breakfast. Talking of which..the continental breakfast is also trapped in a time-warp, but it’s satisfactory, with cereals and toast. There is a cooked option, which looked nice, but we didn’t try it.

Overall, the location is handy, as it’s about a £10 to town in a taxi or a couple of quid on the bus (takes about 20-25mins). The staff were excellent, particularly the lady who greeted us and the girls at breakfast - One blonde girl in particular dealt very well with guest and his family who were obnoxious. We recommend it at a push, and it’s not outrageous at £60 a night and usefully located to the M5 (j12) and the city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelleruk58
Hello, thank you for your review. Firstly I would like to address the hotel issue. The hotel is indeed an addition which was added in the 1990’s however the bar is accessible from the hotel and there is actually no need to walk across the car park to the hotel. Your criticism of the shower is justified and we are making changes to them in our ongoing renovation project. I am pleased the staff members were welcoming and helpful as they really do try to provide good service to all customers. I hope you enjoyed your day out in Gloucester at the rugby.
Presteigne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here for eight nights while participating in the Three Choirs Festival in Gloucester, and found it adequate for the purpose - quite good value and my room was very clean. However I was disappointed by the ambience - this was partly my fault as I didn't realise Quedgely is so built up - I'd assumed it would be a pretty village. As the information in my room explained, The Little Thatch is no longer thatched and has not been for a good many years, due to the cost of rethatching the roof. I can understand this, but the appearance of the hotel would be hugely improved by tidying up the front garden and side courtyard, sweeping up dead leaves and replanting tubs more lavishly and colourfully.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello, I do hope you enjoyed your time at the Three Choirs. Quedgeley has certainly become quite built up in recent years. I do feel that we seem quite well situated with the rooms being far enough away from the main roads. We are currently working on our gardens and general outside appearance of the hotel and hopefully come spring next year this will be noticeable.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Nice friendly Inn. The room was good and both the room and en-suite were spotless clean. There is a good choice of breakfast and an upgrade from continental to full English cooked is only £3. Staff were friendly and helpful. No noise from the bar at night either. The hotel is handy for Gloucester (5 minutes maximum by car) and there is also handy public transport and shopping within walking distance (Large Tesco).

Room Tip: We stayed in a room at the back (room 9) which was quiet. We were also offered safe storage for our...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ronnie M
Hello Ronnie
Thank you for your kind words. Our hotel staff work hard to ensure the rooms are clean and well maintained and i am certainly glad you found that to be the case. Our rooms are far enough from the bar for it to not be an issue but I am sure that it would worry some guests on arrival. We are always happy to provide storage for cyclists.
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

A very pleasant hotel, the staff are excellent. The decor is a little tired, but at £45 for a single room the price was excellent; however, note if you want a cooked breakfast its an additional £3. Continental was more than enough for me. The menu for the evening meal is very well priced and the food is excellent: my steak was cooked just as requested. I would use again if passing that way. Much better than the characterless chain hotels that abound these days.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hello Andy. Thank you for your review, especially the kind comments towards the staff who work hard to ensure guests enjoy their stay with us. I am glad that you would use us again and hope that you do indeed need to do so.
LGC
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a pleasant hotel, although the room I stayed in was a bit dated. Tea and Coffee was available but the TV was very small but the room was pleasant enough. There is a bar and restaurant which seemed very pleasant. Breakfast was very good and filling. The staff were very welcoming and helpful

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank tom1lgc
Good Morning, many thanks for your lovely review. I’m a thoroughly glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us, we do strive hard to maintain a clean, cosy and welcoming environment for all of our customers and to provide excellent service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quedgeley
Holiday Inn Express Gloucester South
The Edward Hotel
#7 of 21 in Gloucester
The Orchard Hotel Gloucester
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall Hotel
Mercure Gloucester, Bowden Hall ...
#1 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
Hatton Court Hotel
Hatton Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Upton St Leonards
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,252 reviews

Been to The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester? Share your experiences!