The Little Thatch Hotel Gloucester
$64
$120
$82
Very Good 4/5
Hatton Court Hotel(Upton St Leonards)
$89
Average 3/5
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsfull englishpieolde worldreal alean evening meallounge barsaturday nightsingle rooman upgradecomfy bedenjoyable stayyogurtaccommodationgloucesterroxybarmaidales
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed here for the 2nd time last week whilst visiting the area on work.

Whilst the rooms could do with a little updating - the service, good food, friendly atmosphere more than made up it

I ate in the bar, and spent the evening there with my laptop, 'J' the friendly barman and a few regulars who were good for a bit of banter and friendly chat about the local history etc

I'll be back

Cheers

Neil

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Neil F
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This Hotel was absolutely lovely they were so welcoming when came in to the hotel , love the pub downstairs nice and quiet with the locals , beer and drinks are at a reasonable price. The food was absolutely gorgeous all home made , breakfast was lovely too. The bed was so comfy and we didn't want to get out of it.

We will defiantly be staying again :)))))))))))))

Room Tip: Im sure every room will be lovely
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amba S
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Lovely old Inn, loads of history and character. A quieter place on this occassion. Accommodation like a 'travelodge' as most rooms are in a 70's look extention which looked lovely from outside, emulating a coach house, autumn leaves, creepers etc. Room was clean, tastefully decorated and well equiped. Breakfast in the old dining room was lovely. Service was really good, food was fine.

I would stay there again definately.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie W
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is an ancient Inn with heaps of character and the staff are lovely. Visiting on business I had to change rooms as i couldn't get broadband in the room I was first allocated despite explaining that broadband was essential when booking. The room was clean and the bed comfortable but the furnishings are tiered and the cheap plastic bathroom fittings need to be changed, in the second room I was in, where the plastic shelf in the bathroom had a nasty cigarette burn years after the smoking ban.
The food was fine, however, the first night I had the Sirloin Steak from the specials menu. I was amazed to see sirloin steak at £7.95 when I pay close to £10 for a raw steak at the butchers! Turns out it was very thin. I'd rather pay double for a decent sized steak. The next night however I had bangers and mash and it was lovely. The food is basic pub grub with absolutely no fancy trimmings, very tasty, filling and perhaps trying to keep the price down too much. I'd rather pay more for something a bit more adventurous or a bigger steak.
Despite being close to a busy road I slept like a baby and enjoyed the atmosphere and friendliness of the staff and locals. Really I should have given this 3 stars but the staff, locals and beauty of the building made up for the basic level of the accomodation. I hope they renovate soon as I will be back, although not on business unless the hit & miss broadband signal is sorted out. It is a perfect base to explore the south west and soak up some real history and West Country charm.

Room Tip: Be very specific about your requirements. If you need broadband, rooms 2 etc are better although I found the signal dropped for no reason even after moving rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Soozz
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed in June and whilst the pub is very nice (13th century I believe) the room was very basic and belonging to a bygone decade (a few back). The bed was very uncomfortable and lumpy.
Breakfast was O.K. As we were sometimes only booking somewhere to stay the same day we occasionally had to take whatever was available nearby.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple