“Quaint”

Riversdale Estate Cottages
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Please take note of reviwers and sign these Cottages so that on night arrivals they are visible, it would take so little money to fix this problem. We arrived after a 6pm flight, had no problem finding on GPS (even though off the beaten track) , Took us at least 3/4 hr & two phone calls to acertain which Villa was ours. Anothjer lady arrived with two small children & had the same problem. Not good enough!" Again it must be a "Tassie" thing, no sign of hosts, not even a phone call to make sure u have arrived or left"

Apart from the above the Villa was immaculate, beautifully decorated & amazing views.
Very close to Port Arthur for a day trip.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stayed here for two nights during a tour of Tasmania and it was definitely one of the best accommodations we booked. A little off the beaten track but worth taking the trouble to find. Separate cottages set on a slight rise, look out over the vineyard to the hills beyond and provide a relaxing, peaceful setting with no traffic noise at all. Sitting out on the verandah in the evening with a glass of wine you could be forgiven for thinking that you were in the French countryside, not Tasmania!

The provincial French décor inside the cottage was a delightful change from the modern chocolate and beige décor in most motels or resorts. The extra decorator touches showed some originality in thinking and were really charming. Top marks for that!

The kitchen was well supplied with necessities if you wanted to whip up a French delicacy, even down to some interesting recipe books which I wish I’d had the time to peruse more thoroughly, food books being one of my weaknesses. There were even wine glasses of different sizes. Nice touch.

Several bottles of wine from the estate were provided for purchase but no cheese or olives which were on the mini bar list.

There were a couple of small negatives which I feel obliged to mention. On our first morning we decided to have a lazy start as we had spent the previous day walking around Port Arthur in the heat and were quite tired. As rain was forecast, we had planned no long trips for the day so thought we'd sleep in. However, we were woken before 8am by the sound of soft chatter right outside the window and discovered two immigrant workers pulling up the weeds and having what was probably a delightful conversation between themselves. They weren’t talking loudly, but it was enough to wake us. I feel they could have been asked not to work on the cottage gardens until after 10am when most people would have either checked out or left for the day.

The development of accommodation on the estate is clearly in its infancy stages and work is still being carried out on new cottages and the surrounding gardens. I understand that work has to be done and the workers, to their credit, were being as quiet as they could, but it did spoil what would have been a peaceful morning. I am sure that when development is all finished, it will be totally delightful and I would have no hesitation in returning next time I am in the area.

Highly recommended if you are looking for a particularly peaceful place to stay. Richmond is only about 10 minutes away and the pub there has good food at a good price. There were no other restaurants open the night we were there but we found this common in small country towns. Either that, or you are expected to eat around 6pm because by 8pm they're closed!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wotsaheaven4
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I agree with the other reviews in the fact that this cottage was situated in a great location, well off the main road and close to the winery eating options. It was cute, clean and nicely decorated. Unfortunately a negative word of warning. This accommodation was advertised as a two bedroom cottage and as such we booked one cottage for two travelling couples. To our amazement and dissapointment we found one bedroom only with single beds.The queen size bed was located in the 'open' lounge, kitchen area with no privacy from the living area (not even a privacy screen or wall). We would not have booked the singe cottage if we had known this. Other than that I could not fault the accommodation.

Room Tip: Beware that the Stanford Cottage is NOT a 2 bedroom cottage as advertised. It is one bedroom with si...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Arrived of an evening so it was dark and seemed like a long drive up the entrance, but as soon as I walked into the Cottage I was delighted. The cottage style was elegantly French so sweet.
When I awoke in the morning and looked outside I saw the awesome scenery.

A friend joined my husband and I on our holiday and he was very well accommodated with an extra bed made up for him in the second bedroom,

Only about 15 minutes from Hobart and about 10 minutes from Richmond, this is the perfect place to stay.

Can't wait to go back, just with my husband next time.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bekm5
Reviewed November 13, 2010

You know when you finally end the week and sit back in your favourite armchair with a scotch, well this was the feeling I got when staying at this exquisite winery retreat. Pure relaxation, awesome scenery, definitely a touch of class in the Roberts Cottage we stayed in. The cottage style was elegantly French, from the corner book selves to the beautiful bath and stylised bedrooms. Riversdale Estate offers the most beautiful setting with rolling hills filled with some of the great wines of Australia. The Sauvignon Blanc, pinot, pinot grey and even the sparkling Crux was to die for. Needless to say this place combines everything a winery weekend should have. Only 10 minutes from the airport and Hobart central, the Salamanca markets on a Saturday are a must and a 20 minute drive to the top of Mt Wellington. For a tourist looking for the best of the best, Riversdale Estate is a must stay next time you're in Tasmania.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Vincent312159
Reviewed April 16, 2010

We stayed here as our base for Hobart. We were almost in the vineyards overlooking the water & mountains & yet a 10 minute drive to Hobart. The cottages are beautifully decorated with a French theme. Just up my alley! We all squealed with delight when we entered the cottage - even my husband, and that is saying something! Very clean & beds comfortable. My mother joined us on our holiday to Tasmania & she was very well accommodated with an extra bed made up for her in the second bedroom with our two girls. Riversdale Estate is located on the road to Richmond only a 5 minute drive away & Richmond a definite visit. We also spent a day in Port Arthur from there. A definite must! Dont go too early to Richmond or any village in Tasmania as most of the shops arent open & thats even at 10am! Most of them dont have definite opening times & I found that very annoying. As we had long days of trying to see as much as we could & the antique shopping I was hoping to do didn't happen as much as I would have liked.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Broadway80
Reviewed March 24, 2010

These attractive cottages are 10 minutes from Hobart airport and so close to a quiet flight path,and 10 minutes from cute Richmond.Unfortunately you can not park at the door of all of them,no one ever contacts you (its key in the door and lock up when you go !) There is no close shop or restaurant attached,and no phone.Large satellite dish next door.
Few hangers and poor cloths storage.Partly faulty air con and blinds that do not block the morning light.Could have been a lot cleaner and tidy.The staff had left money from previous occupier purchase of wine or trinkets un collected.
However it looks OK see photos and is two bedroom and fairly priced.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple