“Beautiful but smoggy”

Guangzhou, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful but smoggy”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Being one of the four famous mountains in Guangzhou, the views would've been spectacular if it weren't for all the pollution. I went over Chinese New Year and so did half of the rest of China - I was travelling by myself so I was glad that there were other people around, but it was very crowded in some of the more popular spots. Locals have a tendency to litter everywhere, so some of the views are spoilt not only by the haze but by the shocking amount of plastic bottles and food wrappers everywhere.

The entrance fee was 96RMB, but the regular price is 100RMB (120RMB on holidays, but I don't know which ones). The ticket is good for 24 hours.

I arrived at around noon (took a 40 minute bus ride from the Shaoguan East Railway Station for 18RMB) and hiked the Elder Peak for about 3 hours. I then headed for the Yangyuan Mountain area, and spent about 2 hours in there.

I stayed in a hotel outside the gates but there are actually hotels within the park itself - look for hotels around the Yangyuan Mountain because you will save a bit of time (maybe 20-30 minutes each way) not having to leave the park.

The second day I hiked the entire Yangyuan Mountain area and there were far fewer people than Elder Peak. I wouldn't recommend bringing young children up that mountain as the descent is very steep - in some places, the railing for the stairs went vertically down.

I would definitely recommend putting aside two days for this.

Visited February 2014

Lijiang,Yunnan
“spectacular views”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I really enjoyed the peace of the area, especially early morning and night. Also really like to stay on the top of Thousand Toroises Mountain to get the spectacular views...

Visited October 2012
Penang
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Danxia Mountain in northern Guangzhou Province, China”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Danxia Mountain in the Northern part of Guangzhou Province of China is worth a visit. The most unique mountain rock formation I have ever seen is the one that looks like the male and female sexual organ. Besides, there are many mountain trackings, which you can hike from morning to evening. There are also old temples built into the caves high up in the mountain. There are many cheap home stays around the scenic area. These home stays operate their own restaurant and serve cheap and good foods. From Guangzhou, you can take a train to Shoguan, from which you take a bus to Danxia.

Visited August 2011