“Not in Acquasparta”

Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I need to start by saying this restaurant in not in Aquasparta - not even close. It is not even near by It is in a village called Castiglione, on the road to Todi. When we finally found the place, it was lovely. We sat outside on a pleasant terrace overlooking lovely farmland. There was only one other table occupied. Our waiter spoke very passable American, and was a real character.
The service was excellent, the food very good, the setting great, and it was a pleasure to dine here. Good wine list, too.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Il Re Beve is a delightful experience with its arched brick walls, spectacular scenery, and exquisite cuisine. The staff is markedly attentive but not intrusive, helpful, and enthusiastic. We have dined here many times and continue to enjoy lunch and dinner in a warm, elegant atmosphere. The prices are very reasonable and portions plenty. Enjoy this gem!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

The best and most discreet service, providing food of rare excellence, in a stunning surrounding with a layed-back, friendly and warm atmosphere. My most heartfelt recommendations!

Reviewed December 6, 2013

This is the first time that I feel moved to write about a restaurant in Umbria, although we live here and go out to eat frequently and have tried most of the wonderful places. The "Locanda Il Re Beve" is our favorite - the food is fabulous and also one of the most affordable menus locally. The atmosphere is unique - I will never forget the summer sunsets from the veranda, or the winter meals we eat inside the castle, warmed by the gigantic fireplace and great jazz playing quietly. After we eat I love to prowl through the open parts of the castle, the magical courtyard and underground passageway. ( A memorable first date involved a fabulous victory on my part in a game of checkers on the veranda's life-size checkerboard.)
The food is a giant step above the local umbrian traditional choices. One of the special treats at Casigliano's Re Beve is the homemade ricotta which is somehow smoked with orange rind and served with honey and, well, it's really good. Recently we shared a divine plate of Gnocchi con Zucca, pumpkin gnocchi that left us both in silence as we tried to politely cheat the other out of the remaining bites. On Fridays you may reserve a meal of fish, and this is one of the few places in central Italy that seems to know how to prepare fish, especially raw fish and braised tuna of high quality. The chef is an artist, the dishes are presented so very beautifully he ought to sign them. The quail, "quaglia alla diavola" was perfectly cooked and served with roasted veggies that we once again had some difficultly in sharing, they were so damn tasty. We are a young couple on a tight budget so we generally choose a good local grechetto wine to accompany the meal, but there are some brilliant wines on the list for the deeper pockets. Antonio is an expert host, who keeps a close eye on our needs, greats us warmly and lets us be.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Friends introduced us to this restaurant. Everytime I am in nearby Todi (two-four times a year) I make a particular effort to go here. I went again last night with friends, some of whom had never been there before and all of whom agreed that the food was excellent. Of particular note is their own porchetta and the antipasti. Other dishes are imaginative, but deceptively simple, showcasing exceptional local ingredients.

I thought I didn't like puddings. The puddings here make you weep. I am a convert!

The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful.