“Honeymoon - Nov 12 to Nov 20 - Pure Bliss! Perfect size resort! They pay attention to detail.”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Our perfect honeymoon in paradise.
First it started with a private car service to the resort, just me & husband. We are in our early 30's, we were hoping for relaxing, fun attitude, quiet yet entertaining, a little seclusion with a lush feel. Were we ever home! We arrived to cool scented towels and chilled champagne, Mgt greeted us home. Check in was a breeze, room was not quite ready, but we were early, we wandered around the hotel, got a drink and enjoyed the lobby waiting for our room. We entered into our 2 story roof top terrace! Normally we wouldn't splurge on such detail but it was our honeymoon, and we were here for 8 nights. The room was beautiful! Just beautiful. Open, inviting and perfect! Bathroom : open concept, between the headboard of the bed and the back of the dual sinks for the bathroom there is no closure, so you do hear everything, which was fine except for when you were sleeping (the lights and the noise off the marble is amplified) and let me just say now, this and one other minor thing are my only complaints! The toilet area does not have a sound proof door, so usually one of us would step outside either onto the beautifully furnished balcony with DAY BED and table with 2 chairs, or upstairs to the mini plunge pool complete with queen sized bed with multiple pillows then a huge oversized round chair made for two. We loved the upstairs at night, just the two of us and the stars.....priceless honeymoon! We were completely secluded, but we could see how other roof tops were not. Other complaint has to do with room : slippery! there is a tub in the corner of the room built for two which is GORGEOUS and perfect and we took advantage of this tub all the time, it opens to the outside OR can be kept in the room....perfect perfect! What's bad about it : SLIPPERY it has marble steps and marble floor .... and nothing to prevent slipping. The first time we had just laid down a towel onto the floor neglecting the stairs : big mistake, I took a huge wipeout and bruised my back side! Lesson learned, we toweled that area down very good and always used the slippers in the room to prevent slipping. Other then that : room was absolutely perfect! Our first night we felt like ordering room service.........very pleasantly surprised, prompt, hot and tasty, pizza & chicken fingers ended up being our favourite. One morning we had our Honeymoon breakfast on the balcony....and it was soooo good, they even took special requests, everything was ON TIME, hot, and delicious! And the servers were just wonderful, courteous, smiling and friendly. We had a room issue with the flooring on the roof top, it was fixed within 45 mins. We always had towels, turn down service at night was great. They give you a daily news report on the resort, temps for the day, drinks of the day, restaurants that are closed & open, specials of the day.....we were excited to get that each night!!
We tried every one of the restaurants except for Flavour Market, it was a little to out there for our tastes. Most our meals were delicious, some hit or miss, but you could always order something else. Lunch was OUTSTANDING at the Grill or Lobster house, really we truly enjoyed those meals. We also never tried the Lobster house for dinner, as neither of us really like lobster. The food was great at the breakfast buffet, we never tried the lunch buffet. One night we ate at the Italian restaurant and i had ordered a cappuccino, and the waiter came by with a cart and he said to me, I know you ordered a cappuccino but i have a better surprise for you! And just like that he was pouring flaming coffee from one cup to another, and there was so many delicious ingredients going into this glorious mug he was pouring for me...I felt like a superstar, and i feel bad I do not remember his name, ....i didn't even ask for this special drink, but he took the time to make this for me....and it was out of this world...i drank every last drop. the whole restaurant clapped when he was done! it was such a great surprise!

Entertainment at the hotel was perfect, live singers, saxophonist, pianist, there was always a group playing, and the shows at night were really good, and we're not ones to stay up all that late, we're usually ko'd after a long day of sun & drinks! But we saw atleast 3 or 4 shows and we always listened to the music in the square at Kafe Kafe at night, they were great!
The pools were so refreshing, with a long day of burning sun, slipping into the cool pool and floating around the lazy river was amazing. Always a chair, always a floatie. It was hard to get "sun beds" they were hogged, but you could always get a hut if you wanted a little shade & sun.
Beach : perfect, a little seaweed, but nothing to worry about. No rocks. Just warm caribean water. Clear. Didn't see much fish. We were always able to get a chair or palpapa and we usually went there in the afternoon.
THE SPA : amazing. truly relaxing and amazing. we were treated like royalty. always making sure we were ok, always making we had anything we wanted....they were an amazing staff! Prices were very reasonable, and the staff worked so hard. The water circuit you do prior to your treatment is really fun and does some magic!
At one point we found and ice cream machine on the resort! And some times there was cinnamon ice cream....oh sooooo good.
The bars: amazing, the drinks are top notch, always full, always cold, always consistent. Even the mini fridge had coronas, I thought that was great!
We never even ventured off this beautiful resort! We relaxed, we were pampered and we didn't want to leave. We will come back. We now want to try the other Excellence resorts. We're booked at the Excellence Riviera Cancun April 8 2011!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MichellesMexicobound

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,183)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 6, 2011

I booked t(prepaid) hrough Expedia, for an Ocean Front Room (OCF). When I arrived, they told me they didnt have any left, and put us in an Ocean View. They told me I could take this or go somewhere else....The Concierege Manager was RUDE , and the Hotel Manager was useless.

Expedia did NOT help. I will NEVER (repeat NEVER) darken the doors of an Excellence resort again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
12 Thank snowge
Fulton, Maryl
Reviewed March 6, 2011

On a quest for rest, relaxation and a totally stress free vacation the six of us totally enjoyed our week at Excellence Playa Mujeres. The resort is far removed from the noise and conjestion of Cancun located on a private stretch of undeveloped pristine beach. If long walks are an important part of your vacation routine this location is perfect. Excellence is a beautufil resort with breathtaking landscaping and compact layout. Rooms all have balconies, marble floors, up to date electronics, awesome bathrooms. If bathroom privacy is important you may not be happy as there are no walls or private doors.
Service in restaurants, room service, beach, bars, etc is outstanding. Everyone is so friendly and accomodating.
Ask for Juan in the Barcelona restaurant; Maciel at the Cafe Kafe; and Humberto at the beach.... they are standouts who made our stay so enjoyable.
We did not leave the resort for the entire week and never felt the need or desire to venture out.
No complaints at all.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jaymkatz
Whitehouse, Ohio
Reviewed March 6, 2011

This review is a little late in coming. I think I only remembered to post this because the next trip is already around the corner. There is little that I can add to the glowing reviews already posted. My wife and I had the most perfect week here at EPM. We had chosen to go with the Excellence Club for this trip, mostly becuase we really enjoy an ocean view room. But I can say for those who are on the fence about it, we did use the Excellence Club often since it was on the way to our room and it was a good place to pop in to grab a quick snack, bottle of water, another of the endless drinks available or to quckly check in with family online at one of the three computers available.
The rooms were pristine. I really enjoyed the larger than usually balcony. Plenty of room to enjoy the scenery. The room itself was luxurious, greatly surpassing our expectations. The restaurants were fabulous, We ended up eating at Spice and the Lobster House twice since we enjoyed the menu so much. (try the Squid Pot, I would go back for that alone). The beach was enjoyable. I like the chairs, wife liked the beds. So there was something for everyone, and that's what makes it EXCELLENT. The grass thing didn't bother us as much as others. The thing we enjoyed the most was how secluded this area of beach is. With exception to the property next door, there is almost nothing else around. That made for very romantic walks on the beach. We will definitely be returning. We did use the spa. One piece of advise. During the couples massage we enjoyed a really hot spa for a bit. I was so thirsty after it that I didn't realize they had offered me a glass of tap water, not the bottled water that is let's just say 'safer'. I paid the price for that but it didn't last long. That was the only negative thing I could say about the entire vacation, and that was my fault. The staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. Please go there. I hope that this property and how its managed is there forever.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hallpass50
Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed March 5, 2011

My husband and I travel quite frequently to all-inclusives and this by far had the best service and international food choices. Very quiet and relaxing. I describe it as a cruise on land. Wifi in the rooms and on the beach!
ROOM: we stayed in the two story roof terrace, building 8, Room 854, corner room, quiet and excellent view of ocean. Pool was slightly heated and comfortable; day bed on the roof was so relaxing could have stayed in the room all day. Mini bar well stocked with pop, beer, wine and candy. Top shelf liquor. Room clean, bathroom had an amazing shower. Toilet not as private, but enclosed. Great balcony and day bed on the lower floor as well. Jacuzzi tub with windows that open to the outside. (never used). Occasionally moldy smell, the humidity was 90% and it was 82 every day.
FOOD: WOW! Basmati (indian) had amazing food and fresh, small so go early; Spice (Asian) was our second favorite(great interior design) ; mexican was great (outdoor courtyard). The Italian place was where we had breakfast buffet; anything you could think of to eat. The grille had steaks that did taste a little gamey, but burgers/chips/salsa/guacamole was amazing. So many choices for food and no reservations required.
BEACH/Pool: We payed extra for excellence club, not really worth it, the private pools were cold! The main pool was warmer and had nice swim up bars. The beach cabanas were spectacular; waiter service was good and they had little programs at noon every day on the excellence beach (spanish guitar, mojito class, tapas, etc,)
NIGHT: Every night at the Kona Bar (central courtyard) they had an act; the flamenco/jazz guitar group was amazing! Highlight of trip! The shows at night were cute, but not fabulous. Later they had bands and kareoke for night owls.
SPA: Needs to be updated, water circuit was not really worth doing. Our actual services were very good and would recommend an afternoon at the spa. Cool showers (6 different types, cold and hot)
We are already planning for yearly trips!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank llguyot
Papillion, Nebraska
Reviewed March 5, 2011

My husband and I have not traveled outside of the US since our honeymoon cruise 15 years ago. We wanted a restful, private, tropical vacation for our 15th wedding anniversary. We loved our stay at Excellence Playa Mujeres. The staff was attentive, the food was good, and the accommodations were spectacular. We stayed in a two story suite with private terrace. The upper (roof) terrace was HUGE with three beds and a plunge pool. The lower terrace was nice for eating meals or sharing a morning coffee. By the way, the coffee was FANTASTIC! We would gladly go back again and sooner rather than later!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank happytravelersNE
RI, USA
Reviewed March 4, 2011

My husband and I recently returned from our week-long honeymoon at this resort. A week was just not long enough. We practically went through withdrawals thinking about the place after we left. I’m going to try to break this up into categories for easy scanning, since I’m going to write a lot:

*Travel Agent—This is our second trip using Vacations to Go and we have been pleased both times. We booked our flight and stay as well as private transportation to and from the resort. An agent was available for consultation or booking excursions in the lobby. (We did not go on any excursions during our stay. Our aim was relaxation.) Arranging everything was very easy.

Resort Hospitality—Wonderful. We arrived at the resort around noon on a Saturday. We were greeted with a cool cocktail and towel. Check-in is not until 3 so we ate lunch in the Toscana buffet while we waited. At 3, they told us they had overbooked the rooftop terraces and upgraded us to Excellence Club for free. They also granted us many of the Honeymoon extras even though we exceeded their 3-month policy. (We were married in August.) They did everything they could to accommodate us, and everyone in the resort was so friendly. Every employee of the resort acknowledged us with “Hola” and a smile. We even had someone bring us a plate of little pastries most of the nights we were there. (I don’t know if that was a honeymoon thing or an Excellence Club thing.) We felt comfortable and welcome.

Cleanliness—This place was immaculate. I even took a picture of a random ash tray because of the pretty imprint stamped in the sand. Room service comes twice a day unless you have the “No molestar” card in the door (once for maid service, once for turn down service). The mini-bar gets stocked once a day as well. I suggest stashing some M&M’s and Oreos for the plane ride home. J

Excellence Club—Very nice, but maybe not worth the extra cash. As I said, we were upgraded for free, but I’ve heard it’s normally another 1k for the club. The best perk it gave us was definitely the ocean view. It was simply amazing. We were supposed to have a spa/pool view, but ended up in room 8160 with our upgrade. The room also came with premium bottled liquor, red and white wine, and champagne upon our arrival for us honeymooners. The bathroom was stocked with Bvlgari lotions and hair products which smelling them now only reminds me of the paradise I’ve left behind… The other “extras” of the club are access to another nice pool area/jacuzzi and bar, a section on the beach, and best of all, the Excellence Club Lounge. We did not discover the lounge until the second to last day of our stay and were so disappointed we didn’t know of it sooner. There are extra computers if the main lobby computer room is full, couches with huge chessboards (like in the lobby), a flat-screen TV and hors d’oeuvres up the wazoo. There’s also a concierge who only looked too eager to serve us when we walked in. Though it was really nice to have these extras, we probably wouldn’t have paid for it. But, if you have the money to throw around, I’d recommend it.

Occupancy level—We traveled during my school vacation in February. I imagine that is a pretty busy time for the resort, and yet my husband and I never found ourselves without a place to sit by the pool or waiting in line at a restaurant. (I do suggest arriving at the restaurants shortly after they open to ensure this, though.) One thing we were disappointed with was that chairs on the beach were claimed rather early in the morning; even the Excellence Club section was totally packed. I don’t know how the beach situation would be off-season.

Food/Drinks—Yummy. People complain about resort food, but everything we ate met or exceeded our expectations. We are buffet people and ate breakfast at Toscana every morning and almost every afternoon for lunch. There was plenty to choose from. My favorite thing was their array of fresh fruit and juices, and the chips and guacamole. The guacamole is So Good. Nothing else will ever compare. We ordered room service for lunch twice. Both times I got the “chicken hamburger” (lol), which was really good. It should be noted that my husband could not get enough of the beef down there. He ate it every chance he got—even for breakfast. I guess Mexican cows are happy. I don’t eat red meat or pork, but there were still plenty of choices for me (except maybe, dinner at The Grill, though the chicken breast was very good). For dinner, we really switched it up and ate at a different place every night. We tried Spice/Asian first; I had the Chicken Pad Thai. It was tasty but rich, and I couldn’t finish the portion after having shared an appetizer plate with my husband, which was also delicious. (The app, not my husband. Just making sure you’re paying attention.) We tried Basmati/Indian the second night; it too, was tasty, but I guess curry does not really agree with me. We went to Agave/Mexican Tuesday night. Needless to say, they made excellent food. Others have recommended the tortilla soup—do it. It’s nice and spicy. The shrimp burrito was also delicious, but big; I couldn’t finish it. We missed the Caribbean dinner on the beach that night, but could hear the beat of the music and see the lights from our balcony. It was really nice to enjoy with a glass of wine. We ate at The Lobster House/self-explanatory for our special romantic honeymoon dinner (which meant a few rose petals and a bottle of wine, but it was still nice). The grilled lobster was good, though nothing compared to what I’m used to in RI. Then we went to the Flavor Market/Tapas, which was really my favorite. I love appetizers and picky foods and that’s exactly what this place is. You choose a couple of things off the menu and keep ordering and drinking. Here is where we had the best chardonnay—Aztec from Chile. It didn’t cost extra, but my husband and I found it to be delicious. If you love cheese like I do, I highly recommend the cheese plate with some kind of fruit marmalade. Perfecto. Our last night. We ate at The Grill, which I’ve already said had good chicken, and sautéed mushrooms, though the mashed potatoes had an odd seasoning that I didn’t like very much. My husband enjoyed the mixed grill of all sorts of meaty goodness. Oh—I am also now a huge fan of the mango colada.

Pools/Beach—Beautiful. My only complaint is the whole “Let’s claim chairs by leaving our books on them while we go away for a while and come back later” attitude. The Excellence Club section of the beach is very small, and so the seats were always taken by the time we got there between 9-10 a.m. There were some available chairs without straw umbrellas, which are fine if you’re not rice-white like me. We pretty much hung by the pool upon which rest the connected Grill and Lobster House. It seemed the warmest and the least crowded there, and the swim-up bar was never busy until the late afternoon. It was really cool to swim underneath the restaurants, and we brought an underwater camera for some fun pictures. The Excellence club pool and Jacuzzi were colder, but the bar there is one of the best and least crowded.

Entertainment/Shopping—Talented performers, expensive gift shop. Don’t plan on doing much shopping here unless you have the dough. I bought a $10 necklace, which seemed the only reasonable thing in the store. We also purchased some necessary sunscreen for $25, so bring plenty of your own. The nightlife seemed pretty average. There is a lot of cruise-ship type singing, but it is still enjoyable. We saw 3 shows during our stay: Artie the Magician, the Circus Show and the Michael Jackson tribute. I enjoyed the magician the most. He was traditional in his materials, (card tricks, coin tricks, scarf tricks, etc.) but unique in his approach. He was humorous and clever and I really enjoyed it. The Michael Jackson show is also worth seeing, but it is really popular so get there early. There is a pretty talented impersonator who has mastered the moves, and an entertaining entourage of dancers who help him perform to some of Michael’s best. The Circus Show was overall very enjoyable, but started off pretty weird. There was an odd male contortionist and a clown that just blew a whistle at people and pulled them up on stage and made them dance around and shake their butts. They seemed uncomfortable, and we were uncomfortable for them. But it got better with a fire juggler and an amazingly strong male pole climber/dancer. There was a talented hula hooper who, by the end of her act, was spinning like 50 them from head to toe. It ended better than it started, so do give it a chance.

Tipping—Not expected, but definitely appreciated. We brought $100 in ones with us, and ended up going through about $60 after tipping rather generously. If you leave a couple of dollars for any service, they will attend to you more. Use your own discretion, but I think a job well done is especially worth recognizing.

If we ever go again:

-We definitely would. The place was so spectacular.
-We would stay for a longer period of time, and maybe try an excursion. The Mayan ruins are a long ride, but sound like a worthwhile experience.
-We might rethink the rooftop terrace. It was wonderful to have and the sun up there was amazing, but it was kind of overkill. We didn’t really use the pool up there as it was small and cold other than mid-day, and we were always doing other things. Perhaps just a regular room off the first floor would do, but an ocean view is ideal, and I’m not sure if that’s exclusive to the Excellence Club.
-We will bring lots of sunscreen, and shop at duty-free in the airport.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!