“Great Resort”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Williston, Vermont
“Great Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

So many great things to be said about this property. Food the best I have ever had for all inclusive, rooms were huge and clean, spotless, service the very best, beautiful pools, the only down side is the water,lots and lots of seaweed, the beach is beautiful nice soft sand, I'm thinking that because of the seaweed they excel on everything else, I would highly recommend this resort, well worth the money, the drinks and room service was also great.

1 Thank honeymoons8808

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,051)
  • Korean first
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2010

We just got back from honeymooning at the resort. We were so sad to leave. The resort itself is beautiful. It's well kept, clean, and very easy to get around. Once we learned our way around nothing was ever too far away to go to. We traveled to/from the airport using their transportation package. It was a little bit pricey but probably worth it since we didn't have to worry about anything. Especially since it was our first trip to Mexico. It is about a 30 min car ride to the resort from the airport. Like others have said you do have to travel through a not so pleasant part of town to get to the resort. It is located in a remote area away from downtown and other hotels.

The staff at the hotel is wonderful. If you treat them nicely they definitely will go out of their way to help you and make you feel comfortable. We didn't have any problems at all with the staff.

The food selection is great! We were able to visit all the restaurants except for Barcelona. There wasn't any food that was bad. The room service food was just as good. Always delivered in a timely manner and it tasted fresh and hot.

The spa is very nice. The evening shows are entertaining. The bars are always stocked and will have everything you need for whatever drinks you want. The liquor they use is top notch and the bar tenders always try to make anything you ask for. Some bartenders are better than others and each one makes their drinks a little differently. Even if you order off the menu each bartender seemed to have their own special way of making particular drinks.

As far as the Excellence club goes, we opted in. We had access to the lounge which also has a bar and is stocked with finger foods throughout the day. We were happy we paid extra for it. We ended up with a room right on the main pool and a few steps away from the beach. If you want a nicer spot on the resort as well as a few extras it may be worth it to you.

Overall it was a vacation that we'll never forget. I'm sure we'll be back in the future.

Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning of Sept for 14 nights - it was much hotter than when normally have our main holiday at Xmas. Before going we read all the reviews and were a bit worried about some - but decided to make our our minds up, this what we thought:
Rooms - cannot fault them, we booked a roof top terrace with plunge pool. Immaculate rooms and great fun with roof top area although it was too hot to use between 12 -4pm. Don't understand why people had such a problem with the glass doors to the toilet? It's frosted and most people staying here are living together! As usual no kettle only coffee maker but we always bring our kettle. Mini bar was constantly filled up and a decent selection of drinks but would have appreciated some wine as well as the beer!
TV - one review mentioned tuning into channels 49 & 50 for all the local info you would need for the holiday! Lets just say we learnt things we never even knew existed! Had to continually drag my husband out every day away from it!
Restaurants - We really enjoyed the Mexican, the French one and the Spice one. Absolutely hated the "Italian" one. It was about as Italian as I am [which I am not} food was poor and the service although polite was shockingly bad. Not sure whether it was the managers fault or a bad seletion of waiting staff - but only went the once and never even finished our meals.
Room service - used this 3 times - a bit slow but friendly and easy! They made a mistake on one order by missing a dessert and then turned up with our dessert plus a bottle of Chmpagne andchocolate dipped strawberries as an apology!
Beach - yes seaweed does wash up although they clear it in front of the hotel they don't bother further along the beach where you walk. Although it is not pretty it's not like our english seaweed that stinks it's more like long grass. Didn't worry us and we walked everyday right along the beach [until we could walk no more in the heat!] The hotel is situated next to it's sister hotel that looks really new and only had a handful of people in. The beach is really long and quiet - no other hotels only a few private houses so really tranquil. If you walk the other way you come to the marina which is great for dreaming about owning the massive yatchs that come in!
Entertainment - We don't really bother with the night time entertainmnet but unfortunately you couldn't miss hearing it! Our room was opposite the theatre but set quite a way back. I think wherever your room was you would always hear it! It wasnt too much of a problem for us as we are seasoned travellers and always take ear plugs! We did watch a couple of the shows and they weren't bad at all - obviously the Michael Jackson show was great fun!
THE AMERICAN/CANADIANS - sorry but I have to say it - why are you so loud? This is the only trouble with Mexico you do get a lot of Americans there and by God you know it. Now we are misery guts on holiday but do we all need to hear how much "awesome" fun you are all having? Get them on their own and they are lovely people but put them together and they turn into howling screeching things. When we ate at the Mexican even the staff had to ask them to be a bit more considerate to other diners due to their noise. Also they did make alot of noise when going back to their rooms late at night and this really annoyed us. They also love to hog all the floats in the lazy river - not to float on but stand their drinks on and lean on. I got sick of waiting for them to finally let them go and simply asked them if I could have them - when one of them said no he was using it [to stand his drink on] I pointed out he would'nt fall over without it. I find if you are quite direct with them they give in!
Overall we had a great time and really enjoyed the holiday - loved the staff, food & weather. My husband played golf and said it was a good quality course.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mandi K
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

I stayed At this Resort October 29th-November 5th 2010..Everything was amazing although the ride from the airport to the hotel you drive through a rough part of town so it seems kind of sketchy..i would recommend private transportation from the airport to hotel it was included in the price of our trip.Right when you arrive you are greeted with a hot towel and champagne the entrance is absolutely beautiful and the staff are VERY friendly.I read many reviews before staying at this resort..I found the beds to be very comfortable and the rooms were amazing,private jacuzzi,amazing shower,stocked mini bar(when the mini bar worker comes just ask and he'll add anything extra that you want!).Room service was the best i would recommend it !.The pools were beautiful i especially loved the hammocks floating above the water...it felt amazing with cool water on your back and the sun beaming down on your skin! You wont get bored at this resort every night an activity list is layed out on your bed for the next day!...I mostly enjoyed laying on the beach and going to the pools but went on the bike tour and played water polo.The only thing bad about the resort was having to LEAVE!...i would def go back ASAP!

1 Thank hisSB
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2010

Rooms were wonderful, despite comments from other travellers I loved the very large comfortable beds but used the large cushions as pillows as others were too small. We were on the third floor at the end of the block so had only one room one side and no one above and we didn't hear any noise from the building. There was a large amount of young, wealthy Southern Americans who had no consideration for others in respect of their conversations, they were extremely loud, shouting most of the time and we could hear everything loud and clear whilst sitting on our balcony - also they were very arogrant, very annoying. Our balcony was larger than some and the oval large bed was excellent for relaxing and reading outside. We only had one bad experience in the restaurants and that was in the Grill, terrible food, bad service and only offered one drink with our meal. We found the other restaurants were very nice and the staff polite and efficient. Although the hotel was nowhere near full, if you ordered room service you had to allow 45 minutes for it to be delivered but when it arrive was excellent. You are expected to tip but as the employees work hard with small wages we didn't mind. My Husband slipped getting out of the jacuzzie in our bedroom on the 2nd day of our holiday and smashed the back of his head on the marble step, he was unconscious, had 30 stitches in his head and was in intensive care for 2 days and in the hospital for 3 more days so please be very careful and we heard of other people doing this, there is no prtection along the edge of the large marble step. There were two members of the concierge, namely Nancy Lopez and Roberto who went way beyond normal help to me, coming with me in the ambulance, staying with me until 11 at the hospital that night and taking me back to the hotel. The hotel provided me with a car and driver for my visits to hospital, were very concerned all through our stay, put flowers and fruit in our room on the day my husband came back to the hotel. A very frightening experience. If you are a person who likes to walk then this is not the place for you as one way the beach is very smelly and the other way there is nothing to take your interest. The Hotel is very isolated but very safe but the beach is not the usual Caribean standard, sea bit green and loads of seaweed. Some lovely touches, staff very hardworking, happy people but think your experience wouold depend on where your room was situated.

White Plains, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

All the positive things you have heard are true, fabulous services, great grounds, ect..... but I figured I would take the time to 1)address the negative comments, and 2)give some tips!

Negative Comments Addressed:
Sea Grass - yup it's on the beach, but it won't attack you, so just relax!
X Box smell - they pick up the room services dishes usually around 4ish, but just call when you're done and they'll come get it! Plus, you'd have to let it sit for 24 hrs to get a smell
Unfriendly Service-I don't know what the people who said this were smoking, we NEVER encountered anything less than happy staff! And, their English is excellent, the accent will be the only thing that makes it hard to understand the staff.
Bugs-there were mosquitos, I swear they are invisible, mostly at night and on our patio (but we also had a swim up room), so just bring bug spray ok? we give ourselves a misting after showers and *poof!* no more bug bites
Stolen Things-I saw a few reports of this in the thousands of reviews I read (yes I am THAT person), and I have an interesting story about this. The night of the Michael Jackson show, I left my digital camera. I did not realize the camera was gone until dinner the next day. I immediately went to the front desk and explained my situation, gave them a description of my camera, and sat down in the lobby. Five minutes later a staffer came up with a SEALED envelope that contained my camera. I had to confirm it was mine and signed a form. It would have been easy for a staff person to take the camera, tuck it in his/her pocket and nobody would have known, but the staff turned it in.
Room Service Times: Yes it will take 45 min. for room service, especially during busy times (8 am, noon, right after a show), so be patient!

Tips:
Shows-Everyone raves about the Michael Jackson show.... it was fine... but we LOVED the 70's/80's show (great costumes, great nostalgic music!), and the magic show (he was hilarious! And really good!!!). So check those out!

Restaurants-Try them all, I read the reviews about how Chez Isabelle was the best, or that Spice was the favorite..... and that the Lobster House and Flavor Market were just ok..... we had a great meal at the Flavor Market! Also, we went to the Grill (the guys wanted steak!) and we girls didn't want steak, I asked our water (Hervin) if we could have a lobster tail instead of steak and he obliged! People complained that the lobster was covered in sauce and this was weird, I guess they didn't realize you could say "can I just have it steamed with butter?" because we did.... and that's what we got.

Bars: Let the Bartenders get creative! I would often say "surprise me!" or "make me your favorite drink" and watch them light up and become your best friend. Definitely try an Expresso Martini after dinner to keep you going into the night! And take advantage of the smoothies at Revive, they are nutritious and yummy!

Traveling Outside of the Resort: Take the taxi the hotel provides, it's safe, and the taxi driver will give you advice on safe places to shop, protocols on bargaining, and the better ferry to take to Isla Mujeres. It costs $15, but safety first! You will have to get a regular taxi back, there is no bargaining, they know you need them, it'll cost another $15.

Rooms: We requested a room in Building 8 or 9, and the front desk informed us they were at 80% occupancy and those rooms were full with Excellence Club guests. No biggee, I didn't pay for Excellence club. Building 7 was also for EC and it was full. They then informed me that since they could not accomodate, they upgraded me to a swim up room in Building 3. I must say, it was incredible. It was super private (a usual complaint of the swim up rooms) and we had sun on us until 1 pm. Don't be picky about buildings, all the room locations were great!

Pack LIGHT: You will not need shorts/tee shirts, we lived in bathing suits/wraps, and sundresses for evening.

Dress Code: Just make sure the man wears pants at dinner. Shoes and shirts are flexible. I saw guys in sneakers, and guys in various short sleeved shirts. That's the easiest way to put it.

Bring Money for Tips: The staff do deserve it. They work hard, and it shows. On a side note, there were days I completely forgot to take money with me to tip, and I was never treated any differently whether I tipped or not.

Scuba Diving: We are experienced scuba divers. If you are as well, avoid Aquaworld diving. The dives that leave from the resort are MWF at 2 pm and only go down to 30 ft to the same nearby reef (which is probably only half alive). And if you go off site with them, they want $15 more for transportation. For the same price check out Scorpio Divers, they'll come get you at EPM and although the weather kept us from diving, they e-mailed us every day with reports on dive conditions.

Any questions, just e-mail me!

19 Thank jyanick
Elk Grove
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

This resort lives up to its name-it is Excellent. The service, food, and facilities were amazing. There are 8 restuarants and all of the ones we tried we awesome particularly the Mexican restaurant (I would hope) and there is definitely something for everyone. The 24hr room service quality wasn't as good as what you would get in the restaurants, but it served its purpose. The mini fridge was always restocked and they did leave peanut M&M's, Snickers, Oreos, and chips everyday. They offered bike tours of the area, which were very fun, they had a great large and clean fitness center and fitness classes, and free wi-fi in your rooms!
Our biggest issue with the resort was how much noise we could hear through our walls. The entrance to our room was in an busy hallway and everytime a service tray or loud individuals walked by it echoed in our room, so we were repeatedly woken up every morning while we were trying to sleep. I had to start sleeping with my ear plugs which helped, but my poor husband had trouble getting any sleep on what was supposed to be our relaxing anniversary vacation. Our room was also located near the theater so we could hear the entertainment every night loud and clear when we were trying to go to sleep. We kept the room because we didn't want to pack all of our stuff back up and then unpack again and we did have a swim-up room. Looking back now I don't know if I would pay the extra money again to get the swim-up room; it was nice, but we stayed at the beach most of the time.
The resort is in the middle of nothing, which is something my husband and I enjoyed because we wanted peace and quiet. But if you want to be in the middle of the action I would suggest looking somewhere else as it took us a good 25-30 minutes to drive into Cancun and the only way to get there is a $26 (one way) taxi ride. Also, the water is a green hue instead of the bright blue you will find in Cancun, so again if that is something you are looking for then Playa Mujeres might not be what you are looking for. Other than those few minor things, the resort has everything you will need (except shopping) and the staff do their best to fulfill any request you have.

3 Thank atlas993
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,252 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!