“Wonderful / Long Review But Hopefully Worth The Read”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Seabrook, Texas
“Wonderful / Long Review But Hopefully Worth The Read”
Reviewed September 14, 2010

This was our 5th trip to the area in as many years. We’ve always stayed at an All Adult, All Inclusive Resort. They have all been great: Le Blanc, best Spa, Royal in Cancun, beautiful property, Royal in Playa Del Carmen, great location, Secrets Maroma, best beach. Remember that you are going to Mexico, not Miami!! It really is a different country. If you are expecting US everything, you will be disappointed. Enjoy the differences, respect the culture and have fun.

With that being said, they have all been great and we would not hesitate to return to any of them.

Like you, I obsess over the reviews. My boyfriend won’t read them, as he prefers to be surprised. I enjoy knowing the little details about each property.

If you have never flown into the Cancun Airport, believe the reviews, walk right out the front doors after customs and don’t speak to anyone until outside. Whatever means of transportation you arranged will be there and easy to spot. There is a bar to the right of the front doors where you can purchase a cold beverage while waiting for your transportation. Typical airport prices, $10 for a beer and bottle of water. The drivers don’t mind if you take it with you.

This resort is about a 20 to 30 minute drive from the airport. They met us out front with cold towels and champagne once we got into the lobby. (All of the resorts do this but I still love it) Check in was quick and my boyfriend surprised me with an upgrade to a rooftop terrace suite (while I went to the ladies room!) I had seen the pictures and I really wanted one of those rooms!! Well, as much as I appreciated it, it was not all that. As everyone else mentioned, it’s basically a large hot tub without the “hot”. They call it a plunge pool but it truly is not. But, the ocean view and double large terrace were awesome. We had 4 lounge beds on the patio. However, not much privacy. You can see into others patios and they can see into yours.

We always take a tour of the property after check in. We like to get they lay of the land and see where everything is. We feel like this affords us the best experience, use of our time, etc. Of course we stop at the first bar we see before heading off on our tour!

Rooms:
They are gorgeous. From what I understand, they are all the same inside. It’s only the location and patios that make the difference. I am positive that had we booked the most basic of rooms we would have enjoyed our stay just as much. However, did I mention that my fabulous boyfriend upgraded our room while I was in the ladies room? I would not trade that for anything. But, that being said, I would prefer to have stayed another night!

I read a lot about the restroom configuration and all I can say is get over it! If you are there with a spouse or significant other, just ask for some privacy when you need it. If you are there with gal pals for a girlfriend getaway, you know how to handle it. The shower is very nice and large. The hotel provides nice amenities. Ladies, unless you have some specific needs, they provide plenty of shampoo, conditioner and bath gel. When we went to Secrets Maroma I did not bring any hair conditioner and had to buy some in the spa for $35. This place provides plenty and it’s not bad.

Refrigerators: Let me tell you that of the 5 resorts we have stayed at, all 5 stars, not one of the refrigerators were cold! That’s just the way it is. I suggest you pack a collapsible cooler and put your beverage of choice on ice. That’s the only way you will get the cold drinks you are used to in the US. Also, we have found that our first one or two nights we never seem to have enough bottled water. So, pick some up at the bar on your way to the room. They always leave 2 bottles on the nightstand but seem to forget to leave any in the fridge or near the coffee pot. After a day or two, or three, they seem to get the hang of it and leave more water. All of the bars have plenty of bottled water, just ask.

This room had a walk in closet and shoe rack! Pretty cool. They all have a safe with an electronic pass code that you select. Never a problem. But, don’t leave anything out of value, as you wouldn’t anywhere else you stayed.

The rooms have robes, slippers and a hair dryer, as most resorts do. They even have electronic scales but I don’t recommend playing that game while on vacation.

Grounds:
The place is gorgeous! Of the resorts we’ve been able to visit, this one is probably the prettiest as far as landscaping, sculptures, walk ways, etc. Truly beautiful. The staff really does a remarkable job at maintaining everything. I don’t think I saw even one piece of trash the entire trip.

We were in building 3, which seemed pretty far from a lot of the main buildings but it was nice to “be away” from everything. It just really depends on what you are looking for in a vacation. We enjoy walking but if you don’t be sure to look at a map of the property before booking your room.

Oh, and there is an ice cream machine near the Café’Kafe’ bar in the main “square”, which we enjoyed many afternoons on our way from the beach to our room for an afternoon nap.

There is also Coffee and Tea in the main lobby at about 5:30 each morning, as the restaraunts don't open until 7.

Beach:
Ok, there is sea grass. It’s nature. It’s not seaweed, its sea grass, which is not nearly as offensive. There is a tractor that tries to clean it up throughout the day but impossible to remove it completely. It didn’t affect our enjoyment of the beach one bit. Once you step into the water, it’s not an issue. I don’t recall seeing it on any of our other trips so perhaps it’s due to the time of the year. I’m really not sure.

The beach was not as nice as I had expected after having read the reviews. If you walk to the left of the resort there is a lot of trash along the beach. Definitely not in front of the resort, as they work tirelessly to keep the beach area clean around the resort. But, not as nice as you would expect. To the right is the La Amada Hotel and condos, very nice, but not much beach until you run into the “end”.

Again, depends on whether you are a pool or beach person. We are typically beach people and still enjoyed it.

We used the Hobie Cats that are free of charge. This is the one amenities that we use to the fullest. It is so much fun to sail around and enjoy the beautiful Caribbean. The guys that handled the sailboats were awesome. If you don’t know how to sail, they offer free lessons. The boats were in better shape than the last resort and the guys were much friendlier. They also have Kayaks that you can use at no charge. My boyfriend, an accomplished sailor, was gracious enough to take about 4 couples out for a sail/training lesson. Fun was had by all.

Food:
I’m not a foodie but enjoyed all of the restaurants. I’ve read the reviews and everyone has their favorites. Again, it depends on what type of food and atmosphere you prefer. There is definitely something for everyone. I believe it’s pretty presumptuous for someone to tell you which place you should enjoy the most without knowing your preference. There are many places to choose from. One thing we did, so we could try them all, was to have an appetizer at one place, main entrée at another and finish off with dessert at yet a third. It was a lot of fun.

I read some reviews that indicated portions were small. Unless you were at the Flavor Market, Tapas, I disagree. All of the portions were filling. If not, order more!

We had room service 3 times. It was awesome each time; hot, timely, etc. If you order room service and are in a hurry, maybe you should plan better! No complaints at all.

Entertainment:
We caught 3 shows in the 6 nights we were there. They were all fun. The Michael Jackson show absolutely had the largest crowd. However, the other shows were fun too. You will receive a flyer each evening alerting you to the next day’s events. You can plan accordingly. Make up your own mind as you go.

Spa:
This is the first trip we’ve been on where I have not used the Spa! We took a quick tour, just didn’t book anything. We were having so much fun, I didn’t want to spend ½ of one of my very few vacations days in the spa. But, it is beautiful and they offer specials each day.

Cons:
I don’t think they cleaned the rooftop terrace pool area as much as I would have liked. Maid service the first few days was very late until I called and requested earlier service, which they provided. However, this is typical of all resorts we have visited.

Remember this
You are on vacation. You are visiting, not buying. You are in a foreign country. Enjoy yourself!

10 Thank Seabrook1221

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,213)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Shawnee, Kansas
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Excellence from 9/1 to 9/8 and we absolutely LOVED it!! We researched all over looking for what we hoped would be the perfect getaway, and we found it! We can not wait to go back! Everything about this hotel was so wonderful.

First off, the rooms are just as described, Spectacular! We had a non-EC room in bldg 8 and all you had to do was look to the right and there was the ocean! We loved the bed out on the balcony and really loved the shower! I want one like it at home now! And our A/C was Ice COLD!

The food everywhere was great as well! My favorites were Agave (Mexican), Chez Isabelle (French), Toscana (Italian), and The Flavor Market (Tapas). We ate at Spice and did the Hibachi seating, which was great, but from what we heard, the food was actually better when sitting down inside the restaurant itself. The breakfast buffet was great as well, but the lunch buffet was just ok. The Spicy Buffalo Wings from the grill were to die for, Thanks mattbeth for getting me hooked on those! We also had room service a few times and it was always prompt and the order was just right.

The drinks were very good everywhere, although, it was sometimes hit or miss with how well a certain drink was made, depending on which bartender made it. No issue though, just order another one! As said, you must get the monkey drinks at least once, if just for a photo op! Drink itself was just ok.

The shows for the most part were just ok. We had a much better time hanging out with all of the great friends we made down there, including a ton of tripadvisor crazies! :) That said, as everyone has said, you MUST go see the Michael Jackson show. Simply Fantastic!!!! Get there early though, or you will not get a seat!

The resort itself is beautiful, and is located on what we thought was a wonderful stretch of beach! The ocean was clear as can be and the sand was soft and powdery. We saw hardly any sea grass during our entire stay. The pools are great as well and you definately could choose wither you wanted to hang around the main pool and socialize, or you could wonder off and almost get lost at a smaller pool all by yourselves. No problems getting chairs either. We never rushed to get one and always had pretty much our pick of where we wanted to be.

The one thing that we were a little disappointed in was the service at the restaurants. While everyone was very polite and we never had bad service, we did have some very slow waiters on a few different occassions. This only seemed to be an issue at dinner and we had such good company at dinner, that it really didn't matter, but we did see several people actually get up and leave before they were served.

I hope this review helps out with any quesitons you may have about this hotel. We LOVED it and even though we have always said that we will never go to the same place twice.....well, no more, we will be coming back to this hotel without a doubt!!

4 Thank GreenageKC
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Back home on September 11th and I wanted to go back. The staff was great , a little tip goes a long way. We did a couples Spa day and it was worh every penny, wait until you get there to book the Spa and get the 10%off coupon. also let them know about any special celeabration. We stayed in a Spa view Jr. suit andit was great. (clean clean clean.) one thing I can say the did not get a 5 star was the Bed, it was a little hard does not match my pedic. they are opening up one in Jamacia in 2011 date ? and I will be there.

1 Thank pickyme64
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I (24 & 29) stayed at this resort 9/4-9/11, we had an amazing time! It exceeded all of our expectations. We booked the Junior Suite with a Garden view and received a second floor corner room with a pool view. The rooms were large, clean and very new. They weren't as cold as we would have liked, but it was a small complaint we are willilng to overlook. We were greeted with champagne when we arrived and treated wonderfully the entire time. Tips were welcome, but never expected or necessary. The nightlife was ok- cruises is better. The food was good. Our favorites were Spice and Chez Isabelle for dinner, The Lobster House for lunch and room service any time. The room service does take about an hour, on average, so plan for it. The beach was clean and pretty; we had amazing weather, but it was warm. Men need to wear pants to the restaurants (but they can wear jeans), just not shorts. We also had a couples massage. Although it was a little expensive, the spa was amazing, and completely worth it. Overall we had the most relaxing vacation! We found it to be a young crowd... a lot of honeymooners! We will definitely be going to another Excellence Resort next year, either Punta Cana or Jamacia when that one opens!

3 Thank Vacation004
Vernon, Connecticut
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My husband and I enjoyed out 8 day honeymoon at the Excellence Resort in Playa Mujeres. We arrived on August 24th 2009 and stayed until September 1st 2009. During our stay we fell in love with the resort. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating. Everything is included and the food and drinks were top of the line. if you came across something you did not like you could order something else no questions asked. We tipped randomly but no one ever expected it but they always appreciated it. We got to know a few bar tenders over the 8 days who quickly learned our drink preferences and always greeted us with a smile and a Hola!

There are a bunch of restaurants on sight. Some are closed on certain nights so you might want to check the paper that is put in your room each day to see what will be open and closed. We enjoyed getting dressed up and going to the restaurants each night. the French restaurant has an amazing desert that we would stop by to just have desert after a meal at another restaurant. The breakfast buffet was amazing; they had anything you could ever want for breakfast and then some. The fresh fruit and juices were amazing. The French toast was awesome too.

The rooms are beautiful. They are great size, lots of room and beautiful accommodations. The bed was amazing and so comfortable. The AC worked great and we were able to shut our blinds and sleep as late as we wished. We had a swim up room facing the main pool area. We felt we had the best location because it was private but yet still close enough to the main areas. We loved the swim up bar.

We were on our honeymoon and they really went above and beyond. Champagne in the room a few nights, flowers on the bed, and deserts. They also treated us to a couples massage which we recommend doing on the first day. Another couple we met did it on the last day and it made their beautiful tans peal. So we were happy we did it right away. We also got received breakfast in bed one morning which was amazing- we enjoyed ours on the patio watching the pool/ocean. Then one night we were able to enjoy dinner on the beach. This was beautiful. The only complaint was there were a lot of mosquitoes. The staff sent our desert to our room and it was there when we returned for the night.

A lot of people complained about the seaweed, we actually never found this to be an issue. It is the ocean we expect seaweed! We never thought there were an abundance of seaweed, plus they did a wonderful job maintaining the beach.

We were a part of the excellence club. We enjoyed using the computers on site and the center. There were always different snacks, drinks and appetizers that we found to enjoy while checking email and staying in contact with our parents and dog sister.

We loved being greeted the first day with cold towels and champagne. The staff was amazing. We felt like royalty each day and have nothing but wonderful memories of the excellence resort. I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to relax, enjoy the company you are with and want to be treated like a queen!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bonita82209
boston, ma
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I have never been to an all-inclusive hotel before...I usually enjoy smaller, more boutique types of hotels. However, my stay at EPM definitely changed my mind. It was wonderfully relaxing, the food was great, the pools were beautiful and the staff extremely helpful and kind. I was most concerned about the food, but I shouldn't have been...it was excellent. We went back to Spice twice. Every morning we woke up and had room service on the balcony. I really found nothing to complain about...and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank patriotsfan76
Kansas City
Reviewed September 13, 2010

My wife and I went to EPM with another couple for a long labor day weekend on September 2-6. This was our second time to the resort, having been there previously in July 2009. Our experience was even better the second time around. One thing that really stood out to me is that they have made improvements to the service (which was already amazing) since the last time we stayed there. We stayed in an Excellence Club rooftop terrace room. Our room was 8616, and faced the main pool area in the low-rise section of the building. I would recommend this building to anyone looking for a good view of the beach/water. We had previously stayed in building 7, but enjoyed this room even more - waking up to the water and palm trees outside the window is really an amazing experience! Similar to the last time we stayed, we used the rooftop terrace each day, generally in the afternoon after we felt like we had been at the pool/beach for long enough and to relax before going out to dinner. The pool is very nicely sized, and is just enough to take a dip and cool off on the roof. We found the temperature of the pool to be very nice while the sun was out. We didn't end up using the terrace in the evenings.

We very much enjoyed the restaurants, and ate at Spice the first night which was delicious. The second night we enjoyed the Mexican Fiesta, which was all outdoors, and unfortunately cut short by a little rain shower! The next two nights ourselves and our friends actually ate dinner at two restaurants both nights, going to the Flavor Market for tapas prior to dinner and then continuing on at The Grill and Chez Isabelle. Our overall favorite was probably Chez Isabelle, although this is a difficult choice as we found all of the food and service at the restaurants to be first-rate.

We did enjoy the Excellence Club beach, where we were happy to find that they offer towel service in addition to having a system now where you must check-in to reserve a palapa or chairs. We found that this really diminishes the gaming for chairs and helped to keep a very organized atmosphere at the beach. There was both food and drink service on the beach which we found to be very responsive! At one point I had walked up to a bar near the pool to get a drink while we had been sitting on the beach and the bar was out of plastic cups. The bartender then asked me for my name and told me that we would have the drink brought to my chair. To my amazement, 10 minutes later a waiter showed up at my chair calling my name and had my drink! This is an example of the level of service which we find really sets the Excellence apart from other AI hotels which we have stayed at.

We also had the opportunity to use the spa. My wife and I had the "Excellence Massage" which was an 80min couples' massage. The spa facilities themselves are first-rate, and the people working there were very nice. We very much enjoyed the hydrotherapy circuit which took an hour before our massage. Our massages were also very nice, and we were both so relaxed we could hardly move when they were done! We were very happy that we spent a little extra $$ and enjoyed the spa. It was well worth it, and we will definitely do so the next time we go to EPM.

Overall, we had a fantastic time, and will definitely be back again. This is one of our favorite places to stay anywhere, and we have been many places. The hospitality of the employees of the hotel is unmatched, and the facility itself is of five-star quality. In short, don't think twice about going. This is truly a gem.

2 Thank distancerunner08
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!