“Perfect”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Scotland
“Perfect”
Reviewed May 10, 2009

This is the 3rd Exellence Hotel we have stayed in , Needless to say we were not disappointed. From the moment you arrive , till the moment you leave , you are treat like royalty .
The rooms are amazing , the grounds spotless , and as usual the staff are the best you could find in any hotel .
A fantastic choice of restaurants, great selection of wine , any thing you require seems to be there .If you like to be spoilt rotten on holiday , this is the place for you .
We have been home a week now ,and racked our brains for any improvements that could be made ..The only thing we could come up with , was that it would be nice to have warm plates at breakfast .
Anyone who loves Spa,s it doesen,t get much better than this , from the minute you walk in Letticia and her team exude ellegance and calm , You will have an amazing time .
I would not hesitate recommending this hotel to anyone .Its not often you can say ,this was the perfect holiday ,But I can honestly say it was ..
A huge thank you to all the staff , and the wonderfull management , for giving us two weeks of paradise .

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
9 Thank MortyScotland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,187)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 5, 2009

My new husband and I could not have been more pleased with our experience at Excellence! It was more than we ever could have hoped for in a honeymoon. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty and the fantastic service did not stop! We were in the Jr. Rooftop Terrace and it was gorgeous! The room was immaculate, the views...incredible! All of the little touches like the Honeymoon Banner, Rose Petals, Kissing Swan Towels, Jacuzzi Tub surprise, M&M's in the minibar did not go unnoticed and won't be forgotten! Lobster House was our favorite restaurant, and Angel, our favorite server there! I thought the food was MUCH better than reflected in some of the other reviews. Don't forget to order Coco-Loco's at the bar...so cute! The water was too cold to take a swim in February, so thank goodness for the million hot tubs they have everywhere (I still think they should have heated the pools), but even though I was really looking forward to swimming, I feel like I got enough out of the large hot tubs to be satisfied. The beach was beautiful, although the water was not as blue as other parts of Cancun. Even so, the different shades of blue were gorgeous to look at! You MUST go to the spa! They give you an hour long marine "hydropool" session with any spa purchase, which is a pretty exciting experience. The spa itself smells amazing and is just gorgeous inside...of course the service was wonderful! I would recommend Excellence to anyone in search of a fabulous vacation resort! It took me about a week to get over having to leave...we cannot wait to go back again! To us, this place was worth every penny!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
11 Thank aclip
Texas
Reviewed May 5, 2009

We stayed at the Excellence over Spring Break in March. We are in our 50's and took our son and his wife and our daughter and her fiance. The all inclusive was a huge draw so that none of our "kids" had to worry about eating, drinking, or acitivities costing more. This worked so wonderfully for us.

We were very concerned about the securtiy (this was before the flu outbreak). Take note: This place has three security gates to go through to get into the resort. We felt very safe.

The rooms were fabulous. They accomodated our request for 4 rooms all next to one another for our convenience. The first day our rooms were not cleaned when we returned about 4:00. All I had to do was ask the conceirge in our building for maid service before 4:00 and it happened that way the rest of the week.

We did not have a bad meal. I don't understand some of the previous reviews I've read. We have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world and we aren't complaining about the quality here. Was it the best I've ever had? No. But it was consistently very good. The Lobster House even accomodated my future son-in-laws request for 4 lobsters. And yes, he did eat them all. The restaurant staff seems very eager to please and always honored special requests. We did not eat at the French place or the Tapas place. Be sure to try the fried rice at the Asian place! Tipping is not required, but we did, because it is the right thing to do and they deserved it!

The alcohol flows and flows. They will bring you another drink before you ask for it. It became kind of comical to us, because one wanted to try something different, one didn't want any more....etc. They could really save some money by not pushing the alcohol!
But if you are drinking a soft drink....well, you will probably have to ask for more!

The actiivites are numerous and no one goes to them. We were the only people in the spanish dance lessons two days. We played horseshoes by ourselves. Water volleyball attracts a few. Riflery and archery and ping pong will have a handful of people there. We took advantage of most things, including "towel folding." You can take a catamaran out by yourself after a quick lesson. Kayaking was fun also. One thing that is not included is the parasailing. It is $50 per person and not the traditional parasailing. You sit in a chair like thing with your honey and the boat pulls you around the area for about 20 minutes. Great views. I highly recommend this!

The night time entertainment is hokey, but that didn't really bother us. It was kind of funny actually. The nightclub is hopping and we didn't go there. Our kids went in and pretty quickly decided it wasn't for them either.

Some of the pools are not heated, but the two main ones are. By summer time this shouldn't be a problem. I was told there were no mosquitoes. Glad I took my Off and Cortaid anyway, because they are definitely out and biting in the late afternoon and evening.

Yes, the beach has sea grass. From some of the reviews, I was very anxious about this. It is more grass than seaweed and they work very hard to clear it every day. I did not find it disgusting at all as some said. Snorkeling is probably not great here, but you can take an excursion to do that if you want (extra expense). We just played in the water and sat on the beach. Plenty of chairs, shaded and not shaded.

The service here is fantastic and everyone seems eager to please. The bartender did not know how to make a drink my husband wanted, so he walked him through it. Then they named it after him and made it for him when they saw him coming. The language barrier can be kind of funny here. They like to put everything in the blender with ice, so "on the rocks" seems a little foreign to them. A cherry coke was actually a coke with lots of cherries in it. But hey, you are in Mexico, so expect the people to speak Spanish!

This was a great vacation with our family. I highly recommend the Excellence. My daughter and her fiance have decided this is definitely the way to do a honeymooon and are looking into other Excellence properties. Please email me if I can answer any questions for you. I read many reviews and asked questions before we went, and I'm so glad we made the decision to stay at the Excellence!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
14 Thank traveling601
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed May 4, 2009

This will be short since I am sitting in the Excellence Club at the resort as I type, We are here for our honeymoon. We agonized for a week with the decision to go or not to go on the vacation of our dreams. We obviously chose to go and I would like to put the rest of you at ease about the decision.

The place is very clean, no one is sick, the hotel is amazing, the staff are so very friendly, the spa is fantastic, and the food is great.. The place is empty though. They say they are at 20% capacity, but in the 2 days we have been here we have only seen 50 or so people. They are closing half of the resturaunts due to the low numbers, but are rotating them so we will be able to enjoy them all during our stay. All of the activities are going on, but some of the excursions like the ruins are closed.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
19 Thank amdav
Bloomington,IL
Reviewed May 3, 2009

I am going to try and keep this short and sweet. My fiance and I were married here on April 30th, and I can't say enough about this resort. I am well traveled, and have stayed at some other 4 and 5 star hotels in the Cancun area. For the money and the fact that it is an all-inclusive, you can't find a nicer resort, I promise you that. The staff is wonderful( if you are lucky enough to end up with Alexander or Cristobal as a bartender, you are in luck;) the restaurants are fabulous(our favorites were Spice, The Grill, and Toscana, as well as Barcelona for breakfast, or fast and delightful room service) the only restaurant we did not care for was the Flavor Market. If you have to pick one to not try, skip this one. The rooms were beautiful, the balconies are furnished and great for lounging. This place is friendly,well kept ( an understatement), and soooooo relaxing. Also, if anyone is reading this and trying to decide whether to travel to Mexico in the midst of all of this drug cartel, swine flu panic, let me just say... I am cautious and a mother of a small child,so I over analyze everything, I cannot say enough for how well we were treated. From the moment we stepped off the plane, I never felt in danger or threatened in any way. This is a country with some devastated areas,but I really believe the wonderful people of this beautiful country appreciate the tourist population. You will not be disappointed with this trip.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
18 Thank Khubbs09
Minnesota
Reviewed May 2, 2009

My husband and I got married with 25 of our closest friends and family this past weekend. The wedding was beautiful and set off well by the gorgeous landscape and ocean views.

The staff at Excellence is superb. They are very friendly and go out of their to accommodate any requests and to make sure you are having a good time.

We have been to several other all inclusives and Excellence Playa Mujeres is by far the best.

The food was amazing and the drinks were perfecto!

This amazing event couldn't have been pulled off without the assistance from Susan Berman at Berman Travel. She helped coordinate the travel and accomodations for all of my guests. The best part of working with Susan is that she and her husband have been to almost every resort in Mexico. So, they were able to provide a firsthand account of each resort.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
9 Thank estric700
New Jersey
Reviewed May 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the EPM in November, 2008 (over Thanksgiving) for our honeymoon and had the absolute time of our lives. I feel like we're spoiled forever because all we say when we stay at other places is "oh the EPM was so much better" or "remember at the EPM..." lol

ROOMS: Fabulous! We booked a room with the roof top pool and I just can't imagine anything better than this. I think the people in the lower rooms are seriously missing out though ;) We wanted to be secluded on our honeymoon and we were. Our room (can't recall the # right now) was on the ocean side of the property above the Excellence Club and pool, on the end close to the construction (but noise was never an issue for us). The end room was awesome because we didn't have anyone on one side of us and we still got awesome ocean views (although I don't think it was technically an OV room). The plunge pool is cold though so I agree with everyone else that I wish they would fix this somehow. But the personal loungers are awesome and its a great way to get some private sun (and they bring your drinks up to the room so you don't miss out on that ;) )The beds were comfy and the staff was amazing. Never waited long for anything. Our rooms were always cleaned on time and our X box was timely cleaned out. Spend the extra money for the roof top room- seriously, you will NOT be disappointed at all.

FOOD/DRINK: We were VERY happy with the food. The breakfast buffet every morning was always great. We also really enjoyed the lobster house and the Asian place. One night they had a luau on the beach and food was fantastic! We ate sooooo much the week we were there that we each gained a couple of pounds ;) The drinks were great too for the most part. Sometimes they were watered down a bit and sometimes they were strong as heck (depended on the bartender) but they were consistent for the most part. Also, because we were there over Thanksgiving, they had a special menu that night. We weren't expecting too much but we were totally wrong- they had a whole spread of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and all the fixings... and it was GOOD! They also aired the big football game in the theatre which my husband checked out during the day. They really bent overbackward to make their American guests feel at home and we really appreciated that.

SPA: OMG is all I have to say... the water/marine wellness circuit is awesome! My husband (who is not a big spa person) LOVED it. We did it three times while we were there. We also had massages which were incredible. The inside of the spa is really very nice and the waiting area for the massages was beautiful and relaxing. We didn't book a couple's massage but they still put us in a room together anyway. Our masseuses were very skilled and it was truly in the top 5 massages I've ever had. :)

ACTIVITIES: Lots of stuff to do all the time during the day. My husband particularly liked the poker games and casino night. The one downer was not EPM's fault... we booked a day trip to Tulum through American Express tours and while Tulum was gorgeous- they fibbed a little about how long it would take to get out there and back. We basically ended up spending more time on the bus than we did at the site which was a bummer. Also, on the way back, they made multiple stops at other hotels to drop off people which added to the time. We had all boarded from a central spot downtown but this was not the way it was on the way back. We ended up getting off at Luxury Avenue (mall) and walking around there rather than just sit on the bus forever. At night, the reviews are right, there's not much to do. We never went to the club but we weren't there for partying really anyway. Drinks at the lobby bar or out on the beach were good enough for us! Oh and the golf was incredible too- beautiful course!!!!!!

BEACH: Yes, there's seaweed but apparently its everywhere down there so it didn't really bother us. Theyt try to clean it up but my goodness there is a TON of it. We laid out on the beach and went in the pool water instead which suited us just fine. Always plenty of towels and we never had to fight anyone for a water raft.

SERVICE: Nothing but top notch. The 24/7 room service is AWESOME- we used it ALL the time and it took 20-35 minutes for them to come every time. Never waited all that long whether it was a food order or just drinks. All the key employees (I mean ones that you see a lot and need to speak to- front desk, bartenders, activities people) speak English which is great and all other employees either speak some or will smile huge and try their hardest to help you out the best they can. Everyone there was nothing but incredibly nice to us and always had a huge smile on and spoke a friendly "hola!" as you passed by. My husband and I are used to tipping everyone all the time so it was difficult for us to get used to the whole "no tips" thing but they truly will not take your money. At the end of our stay he tried to tip some of the employees that helped us out often during the week and one guy just smiled, laughed and put his hands behind his back. He absolutely would not take it. They must take very good care of their employees there because they were all awesome.

BUGS: I don't know if it was a seasonal thing but right at dusk the mosquitos came out and a) they are HUGE, b) there are a TON of them and c) they will eat you to bits. But, as soon as they come out, they are gone. It really seemed to be limited to an hour or so right at sunset. But man it was BAD. We were out painting ceramics by the pool our second to last night there and got eaten up. The bites were so big they looked like welts and they itched like crazy. They do sell bug spray and lotion in the hotel lobby though but I highly recommend bringing your own.

SECURITY: Very good. Even though the EPM is a little far from Cancun and you have to drive through a shady neighborhood to get there, the property felt secure at all times. You have to go through a couple of gates to get in and they have checkpoints which made us feel good. Its not the same as the places in the hotel zone where you can basically just walk right in most of them off the street.

The EPM is a gorgeous resort and is perfect for a romantic honeymoon or getaway for adults. I would absolutely 100% return to this hotel and strongly recommend it to everyone who is interested in going to Mexico.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!