“One word... Paradise”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed May 3, 2009

I am going to try and keep this short and sweet. My fiance and I were married here on April 30th, and I can't say enough about this resort. I am well traveled, and have stayed at some other 4 and 5 star hotels in the Cancun area. For the money and the fact that it is an all-inclusive, you can't find a nicer resort, I promise you that. The staff is wonderful( if you are lucky enough to end up with Alexander or Cristobal as a bartender, you are in luck;) the restaurants are fabulous(our favorites were Spice, The Grill, and Toscana, as well as Barcelona for breakfast, or fast and delightful room service) the only restaurant we did not care for was the Flavor Market. If you have to pick one to not try, skip this one. The rooms were beautiful, the balconies are furnished and great for lounging. This place is friendly,well kept ( an understatement), and soooooo relaxing. Also, if anyone is reading this and trying to decide whether to travel to Mexico in the midst of all of this drug cartel, swine flu panic, let me just say... I am cautious and a mother of a small child,so I over analyze everything, I cannot say enough for how well we were treated. From the moment we stepped off the plane, I never felt in danger or threatened in any way. This is a country with some devastated areas,but I really believe the wonderful people of this beautiful country appreciate the tourist population. You will not be disappointed with this trip.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Khubbs09
There are newer reviews for Excellence Playa Mujeres

Reviewed May 2, 2009

My husband and I got married with 25 of our closest friends and family this past weekend. The wedding was beautiful and set off well by the gorgeous landscape and ocean views.

The staff at Excellence is superb. They are very friendly and go out of their to accommodate any requests and to make sure you are having a good time.

We have been to several other all inclusives and Excellence Playa Mujeres is by far the best.

The food was amazing and the drinks were perfecto!

This amazing event couldn't have been pulled off without the assistance from Susan Berman at Berman Travel. She helped coordinate the travel and accomodations for all of my guests. The best part of working with Susan is that she and her husband have been to almost every resort in Mexico. So, they were able to provide a firsthand account of each resort.

9  Thank estric700
Reviewed May 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the EPM in November, 2008 (over Thanksgiving) for our honeymoon and had the absolute time of our lives. I feel like we're spoiled forever because all we say when we stay at other places is "oh the EPM was so much better" or "remember at the EPM..." lol

ROOMS: Fabulous! We booked a room with the roof top pool and I just can't imagine anything better than this. I think the people in the lower rooms are seriously missing out though ;) We wanted to be secluded on our honeymoon and we were. Our room (can't recall the # right now) was on the ocean side of the property above the Excellence Club and pool, on the end close to the construction (but noise was never an issue for us). The end room was awesome because we didn't have anyone on one side of us and we still got awesome ocean views (although I don't think it was technically an OV room). The plunge pool is cold though so I agree with everyone else that I wish they would fix this somehow. But the personal loungers are awesome and its a great way to get some private sun (and they bring your drinks up to the room so you don't miss out on that ;) )The beds were comfy and the staff was amazing. Never waited long for anything. Our rooms were always cleaned on time and our X box was timely cleaned out. Spend the extra money for the roof top room- seriously, you will NOT be disappointed at all.

FOOD/DRINK: We were VERY happy with the food. The breakfast buffet every morning was always great. We also really enjoyed the lobster house and the Asian place. One night they had a luau on the beach and food was fantastic! We ate sooooo much the week we were there that we each gained a couple of pounds ;) The drinks were great too for the most part. Sometimes they were watered down a bit and sometimes they were strong as heck (depended on the bartender) but they were consistent for the most part. Also, because we were there over Thanksgiving, they had a special menu that night. We weren't expecting too much but we were totally wrong- they had a whole spread of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and all the fixings... and it was GOOD! They also aired the big football game in the theatre which my husband checked out during the day. They really bent overbackward to make their American guests feel at home and we really appreciated that.

SPA: OMG is all I have to say... the water/marine wellness circuit is awesome! My husband (who is not a big spa person) LOVED it. We did it three times while we were there. We also had massages which were incredible. The inside of the spa is really very nice and the waiting area for the massages was beautiful and relaxing. We didn't book a couple's massage but they still put us in a room together anyway. Our masseuses were very skilled and it was truly in the top 5 massages I've ever had. :)

ACTIVITIES: Lots of stuff to do all the time during the day. My husband particularly liked the poker games and casino night. The one downer was not EPM's fault... we booked a day trip to Tulum through American Express tours and while Tulum was gorgeous- they fibbed a little about how long it would take to get out there and back. We basically ended up spending more time on the bus than we did at the site which was a bummer. Also, on the way back, they made multiple stops at other hotels to drop off people which added to the time. We had all boarded from a central spot downtown but this was not the way it was on the way back. We ended up getting off at Luxury Avenue (mall) and walking around there rather than just sit on the bus forever. At night, the reviews are right, there's not much to do. We never went to the club but we weren't there for partying really anyway. Drinks at the lobby bar or out on the beach were good enough for us! Oh and the golf was incredible too- beautiful course!!!!!!

BEACH: Yes, there's seaweed but apparently its everywhere down there so it didn't really bother us. Theyt try to clean it up but my goodness there is a TON of it. We laid out on the beach and went in the pool water instead which suited us just fine. Always plenty of towels and we never had to fight anyone for a water raft.

SERVICE: Nothing but top notch. The 24/7 room service is AWESOME- we used it ALL the time and it took 20-35 minutes for them to come every time. Never waited all that long whether it was a food order or just drinks. All the key employees (I mean ones that you see a lot and need to speak to- front desk, bartenders, activities people) speak English which is great and all other employees either speak some or will smile huge and try their hardest to help you out the best they can. Everyone there was nothing but incredibly nice to us and always had a huge smile on and spoke a friendly "hola!" as you passed by. My husband and I are used to tipping everyone all the time so it was difficult for us to get used to the whole "no tips" thing but they truly will not take your money. At the end of our stay he tried to tip some of the employees that helped us out often during the week and one guy just smiled, laughed and put his hands behind his back. He absolutely would not take it. They must take very good care of their employees there because they were all awesome.

BUGS: I don't know if it was a seasonal thing but right at dusk the mosquitos came out and a) they are HUGE, b) there are a TON of them and c) they will eat you to bits. But, as soon as they come out, they are gone. It really seemed to be limited to an hour or so right at sunset. But man it was BAD. We were out painting ceramics by the pool our second to last night there and got eaten up. The bites were so big they looked like welts and they itched like crazy. They do sell bug spray and lotion in the hotel lobby though but I highly recommend bringing your own.

SECURITY: Very good. Even though the EPM is a little far from Cancun and you have to drive through a shady neighborhood to get there, the property felt secure at all times. You have to go through a couple of gates to get in and they have checkpoints which made us feel good. Its not the same as the places in the hotel zone where you can basically just walk right in most of them off the street.

The EPM is a gorgeous resort and is perfect for a romantic honeymoon or getaway for adults. I would absolutely 100% return to this hotel and strongly recommend it to everyone who is interested in going to Mexico.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Numero10
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Let me start off my saying that my husband and I had a wonderful time at this resort. We stayed in room 9163 excellence club rooftop terrace. The view was fabulous and the room in general was very clean. We've stayed alot of places and this by far was the nicest room we've ever had. The room was overlooking the main pool, so if you want a quieter room I would stay in a different area of the resort.

We spent one day over at Isla Mujeres and rented a golf cart. Beautiful beaches and scenery over there. I would highly recommend this.

We've stayed at Couples and Sandals resorts in the past and this one is definately the nicest and cleanest we've been to. The downfall to this resort was it may have been TOO nice for us personally. We are in our early 30s. We aren't roudy by any means, but we do like to let loose a little and have a good time on vacation. We met some really great couples while we were there, but for the most part everyone kept to themselves, which is not quite what we have been use to. Shout out to our friends from KC and Detroit. We like resorts where they pretty much force you to have fun and this one lacked a little in the "get involved" activities. Very quiet resort overall. Great for relax and rest. My only real complaint is that I would have preferred to have more of a mexican feel at the resort in the decor etc. I was in Mexico and didn't really feel like I was in Mexico.

The food in general was good. I was a little disappointed in the flavor or I should say lack of flavor in the dishes. But I totally understand that they must do this to please the overall guest at the resort. We had the Mayan Coffee at the Mexican restaurant and it was superb! The Mahi Mahi at THe Grill for lunch was very well prepared. The salsa and guacamole was to die for!!!

I will hit on the tipping subject just a little. We tipped very well during our stay and the staff appreciated it. But we didn't see the staff treat anyone differently if they didn't tip. So if you can ...do. If you can't....don't.

On a side note, I would say if you don't know any spanish, you should learn a little before you go. I wish I had taken the time before we left to learn a few phrases etc.

Security is very good. You had to go through 3 security checkpoints before entering the resort. We felt very secure during our stay.

I went with my husband of 5-years for our anniversary and we did indeed fall in love all over again. I would have to say that we enjoyed our time there, but will probably not return. We just enjoy Jamaica (less wind, beautiful beach) a little more. But I would still highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to come to the Cancun area of Mexico.

Also, just an FYI, we did not get the Swine Flu.

8  Thank packerfan77
Reviewed April 29, 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from a week at EPM from April 18-25. We had an absolutely amazing time and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone. The number one best thing about it is the service and the staff. Every single person had a smile on their face and went out of their way to accomodate you. The resort grounds are almost brand new and are absolutely gorgeous, as was the room. I usually look for a sleek, modern type of hotel, and this totally fit the bill.

This is a perfect trip for a couple who wants to really get away from it all. I have never been so relaxed in my entire life - I am one of those people who can stress about anything and there was absolutely nothing to stress about here. There was always a bar around the corner or someone waiting on you hand and foot, and there were amazing places to relax that I had not seen at other resorts -- hammocks over the water, lounge chairs in the shallow area of the pool, shaded beds for two placed around the grounds. We also really loved the food options there. I would say this is the best food you could get from an all inclusive - hands down. This is not to say we did not have some "misses" in our ordering choices, but the fact that you have a million other options, did not pay for that specific entree, and can order more, makes it irrelevant really when you order something you might not have enjoyed as much as you would have liked. We were never so disappointed that we didn't want to eat anything (except maybe for the shrimp cocktail), but we definitely liked/loved some dishes more than others. Overall, we were really impressed with the quality and I can certainly say we never went hungry!!

One thing that I think should be stressed in a review is that the resort is very very quiet at night. My boyfriend and I are in our late 20s and from New York City, and while we loved the romantic, laid back feel of it all, and understood that people were not necessarily looking for a wild time, we also would have appreciated a *little* more action at night. The main bar is open until 1am but the action dies long before that, and sometimes we wished we weren't the only ones up and that there was a bar where everyone congregated. It did not detract from our vacation but it is an important thing to keep in mind before booking.

Some recommendations/comments:
- Go to the X Lounge at night, it is a bar on the beach and was absolutely amazing and romantic (also, Jesus at the x-lounge is the best!! Tip him well!)
- The beds are not that great. And the pillows are terrible. I wish I would have asked room service for additional pillows, because I think this would have made a difference. This didn't ruin our trip by any means, but it was the one main negative I thought.
- Order room service! We decided to order in lunch one day and they had a lot of menu items that we felt were even better than the restaurants. They went above and beyond putting together a great spread/presentation on our deck, and we decided to take advantage of it the morning of checkout as well.
- I would not recommend this resort for non-couples. It is super romantic and everyone we saw was a couple.
- There is a little station every day by a side pool where you can paint plates, pottery etc. I almost missed it but I highly recommend it. So much fun and the woman who runs it makes you look like a professional artist with some finishing touches.
- It is not necessary to bring day clothes. The lunch restaurants do have a dress code, but it is basically just "no bathing suits" - a cover up is completely fine and anything else will be wasted space unless you are taking a day trip.
- The tennis courts were really great (but avoid the mosquitos if you are playing at night) - they have water and cool towels set up by the court which was really nice and convenient.
- Although they offer DVDs, the selection is extremely limited, so bring some of your own if you want to watch something. Don't rely on the hotel.
- Some of the water sports are free, which we did not find out until the last day. Take advantage!
- Bring $1s for tipping. People were telling us what the staff members made and it was not enough for how good of a job they did!
- Don't worry about the weather! It said it was going to rain three days of the week we were there and there was not a drop of rain -- in fact, I was wishing for a cloud or two to save my skin from the sun! And if there is rain, they have lots of activities planned, and you may be happy for a break from the hot, hot sun.
- The beach was almost always empty. It was unreal. It was so nice to not have to fight for lounge chairs and have someone talking loudly next to you. Amazing.

Overall, this was a five star vacation and one of the best all inclusive resorts I think could be out there. Enjoy!

18  Thank Lauren M
Reviewed April 29, 2009

My wife and I just returned from celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary at EPM. We went with two other couples and we all agreed it was the best vacation we have had without our children. As stated in many reviews, the service here is unbelievable. Just ask and you will receive! The room was comfortable but our refrigerator did not keep beverages cold enough. We prefer down pillows and they were delivered to our room in about 5 min. from our request. We found something good to eat at all of the restaurants. One thing we did experience was the cooks do not do well cooking beef (always rare!). The activities staff was energetic but not overbearing to get you involved with activities. Thanks to Antonio for keeping the wives busy with aqua aerobics! Marcos, swim up bar, and Perfecto and Ganbino at the Martini bar were fantastic, never an empty glass!! We plan on returning to this or another Excellence resort in the near future!! Thanks for a very memorable vacation!!!

6  Thank inspclusew
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Not even in my dreams could I have created such a spectacular week in Mexico (4/22/09-4/26/09). Greeted at the door with Champagne and fruit, my boyfriend and I attended the trip of our lives- THANK YOU BERMAN TRAVEL. We had a seamless transition frm the airport to paradise. Who knew my favorite vacation of all would be for a destination wedding?? I admit it, I had my doubts about destination weddings... too costly for the guests, what if everybody doesn't get along, what if the food isn't good, the weather.. with Berman Travel sending us to Excellence Resort all of those worries washed away. I would plan my own wedding there now; it was worth every penny!!!! The food was out of this world (Lobster, Tapas, Filet, Lamb) the rooms were stocked with the "Royal Treatment" and every single person was in such good spirits with the magical atmosphere that we all got along like family. I am so happy the bride and groom decided to do this and I am really surprised about how much different it is going through a travel company- I highly recommend it (if you call Berman Travel- ask for Susan).

• Stayed: April 2009
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 176 in Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!