“A great relaxing holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Cardiff
“A great relaxing holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

My girlfriend and I spent a week there in early March. The weather was a little cool for the 1st 3 days, but after that it warmed up as the week progressed. As for the hotel, it was exactly what we were looking for, and great value for money. Some headlines:-

Rooms - Had a sea view in block 7 overlooking the hotel next door, and a diagonal view of the sea. We were very happy with this, and it was also on the quiet side of the hotel. You get the sunrise here, so nice and bright in the morning. Standard room, with jacuzzi, bed on balcony, and a lovely king sized bed. Nice bathroom and shower too, but the open plan style might not be to everyone's taste

Service - Bar and poolside service was consistently excellent. Lots of happy faces willing to wish you a good day. We didn't get a room clean on one day, and although this may have been partly down to us using the room either side of a gym visit, this was disappointing. Turn down was missed once too, but pretty minor issue. Restaruant service was on the whole good, with only one or two glitches.

Food - Tried all restaurants bar the tapas. Favourite for me was Chez Izabelle, for my partner La Toscana. Also enjoyed Spice and The Grill. Buffet breakfast was excellent, as was room service version.

Drinks - Was sometimes frustrated not to be able to have wine by the bottle through the trip. First night, we had a bottle of Sav Blanc on ice, able to select from the AI menu. Other nights, the AI page disappeared, and could only order by the glass, which they would top up readily. All very strange. Plenty of beers, spirits and wines to choose from. Cocktail bar in foyer was our favourite.

Pools - very tidy, clean and uncrowded, but the hotel we were told was only 70% full. Found some peace and quiet close to the lazy river section, away from the hustle and bustle of the main pool area. However, bear in mind that the sun starts casting long shadows from 4pm in this area.

Beach - Spent a couple of days here, and more than happy. Clean, with nice beds to lie on. Although windy, it kept you nice and cool. Drinks service here was excellent too.

All in all a great trip, with excellent value for money. Would definitely recommend

PS - Do try the spa!

2 Thank Rives

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,996)
  • Korean first
Tulsa OK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

My wife and I chose this for our ten year wedding anniversary and were very pleased, when we arrived we were greeted with champagne and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Check in was 3:00 and we arrived early so we went to the Martini Bar downstairs for a drink, the only gripe I had was it took so long for our room to be ready. We finally checked in at around 3:45 after two times checking with the front desk but it was worth the wait, the room was fantastic. We didn't want to leave and the upgrade to the rooftop terrace is worth every penny, this is where we spent most of our time. It was windy on the beach and the red flag warning was out so we couldn't snorkel or do the water sports thing :( but I think we made up for it by eating ten meals a day. The food was incredible especially Asian Spice and The Grill, the breakfast buffet was amazing and room service was spot on and always right on time. Even though we probably won't go back I would still recommend this Hotel.

3 Thank dawesdoug
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2009

Just got back from a weeks stay at the resort. Mar 1-8 09. Coming from a frequent traveler like myself this by far was the best yet. Only complaint was the beach. But if you can get past that then you will enjoy it all. My beautiful girlfriend and myself took a day trip to Isla Mujeres and loved it so much we went back on another day. The beaches there are stunning. Turqoise water and cheap eats. A must i say! Before going i read several reviews. From worst to excellent. i cant believe people had the nerve to say the food stinks. I live in New York city so im surrounded by great restaurants. The food in the resort was excellent. So i think some oif the travelers that complained must get their taste buds checked out. The entertainment at night was also very good.

Rooms were gorgeous. You could fit 6 in the shower if you wanted. :) Rooms were always stocked with drinks and munchies and an awesome terrace with a cozy couch. One more thing on the food. Make sure you order the sea bass at Toscana. DELISH!!

Lastly we had an amazing time so dont listen to the negative reviews. Any questions feel free to ask. Enjoy!!!!!

12 Thank wef88
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2009

Before I do the review - here are the places we have stayed the last three years (for comparison purposes): Iberostar Grand, Royal Hideaway, Excellence Riviera Cancun. Let me say that we have enjoyed each of our vacations, with certain places excelling in different areas. Now, for EPM

The Rooms:
The room was one of the nicest we have seen anywhere. We stayed in a swim out room and were very happy. The day bed on the patio (all rooms have them) was very comfortable for reading, relaxing, or having a nap. We did not notice the roof top terrace rooms used very much - I think the people came down to the pool to enjoy each other's company.
Inside, the shower was very nice - a large rainshower head reminded us of home. I know some people have commented on the glass doors that open into the room, but we did not mind.
The cleaning service was excellent. Our room was always cleaned spotlessly.

Our only concern would be that we found the bed to be a little hard. (With enough tequila and we didn't notice). Also, the wireless internet would not work in our room, so I had to use the business centre.

The Food:
We found the food to be good also. Lots of variety, and again, the service staff very friendly. We ate at the French and Mexican restaurants twice (because we can't get these at home).
The breakfast buffet was consistently good. Fresh fruit and French toast was a mainstay. Nice smoothies too.
We ate at the lunch buffet a couple of times, and the open air restaurants a couple of times. While the open air atmosphere was nicer, and a few of the items on the menu were great, we preferred the buffet for quality (and we are not typically buffet eaters).

The Drinks:
We like a nice bottle of wine, and there was none to be found on the all-inclusive menu. In fact, we would get different types of wine poured throughout a meal - for example - we had sauvignon blanc at lunch two days in a row, and I would say four distinct flavours (including one that tasted like flat champagne). I don't want to sound like a snob, but I would expect they could get better, more consistent wine.
The bartenders can also be inconsistent. Some will make drinks as you ask, others not so much. If you want name brands used, make sure you get it. Some of the bar brands they use are very harsh. Lots of variety to choose from. The mango dacquari makes an excellent mid-morning snack (and mid-afternoon too).

The Pool:
Very clean, well maintained... what can you say - it's a pool, the temperature was in the 80's.... Sometimes the hottubs were not heated. There was a little chair saving going on, but not as bad as we have seen at other resorts. It seemed to depend which group was there on which day. Getting a floating mat in the pools was very easy.

The Ocean:
We would hope the resort will clean up a longer section of the beach. The Excellence chain owns the entire peninsula (not the beach), but it is the only resort there. Lots of long walks are possible, but you will have seaweed and garbage along the waterline.
We did not see anyone go in the water to swim. We stayed out because of the seaweed.

The Nightlife:
Relatively quiet. We made it to the disco one night. The entertainment was the usual Mexico resort talent.

Would we return?
Probably not. Drinks and the beach are their downfall, and we believe that other resorts offer a better value proposition for what we are looking for.
As an aside, we heard a number of stories about people (first timers) being upgraded / bottles in rooms / etc. It may sound sour, but as returning customers, we would have expected similar treatment. Perhaps the Excellence chain will institute a rewards type program for returning guests at any of their properties. Our point of reference on this was that at Iberostar, we had flowers, wine, chocolates and a welcome back letter waiting for us in our room when we arrived. Not expensive, but a nice touch.

11 Thank Ontario_Sun_lovers
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

We have stayed at several adult-only all inclusive, and this place was a step above the rest! My husband and I stayed at EPM for my 30th birthday in June of 08. We enjoyed every second of our stay here. From the moment we arrived the moment we left, we felt like we were in heaven. When we arrived to our room, they had the room fully decorated for my birthday. That was a nice way to start the trip.

My recommendation would be to definitely try the spa there. We did a couples hot stone massage and thoroughly enjoyed it!

This was the best way I could have celebrated my 30th birthday! After leaving Excellence for a few days we stayed at the Royal Playa Del Carmen for a few days and missed being at Excellence the entire time! :)

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Brigets
tdamore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2009

We ended up at the Playa Mujeres for our honeymoon by accident (transfer took us the to the playa resort when we were booked at the Riviera Cancun resort). BUT it totally worked out to our advantage. After applying a winter special booking to our original reservation at the Riviera Cancun we ended up paying the same amount but for twice the luxury!! This resort is truly beautiful, quiet, fun, and perfect for a relaxing, adult only vacation. We would recommend this place without hesitation and trust me, we are very picky :)

I actually recommend spending the extra money and paying for a transfer to and from the hotel from the airport. They picked us up in a nice new suburban and have cold water bottles waiting and ready. After a 30 min. ride to the resort, we were greeted with cold champagne as we walked into the lobby. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke very well english (unfortunately my spanish is terrible). We checked into a BEAUTIFUL oceanview jr. suite that was awesome. King bed, double sink bathroom, HUGE shower, hot tub in room, HUGE balcony with outside bed....everything was 5-star quality! Very clean and accommodating.

They have 8 pools, 8 restaurants, bars, nightly shows in their outside theatre, nightclub, outside ping-pong, pool tables, etc. Between all the pools, beach and outside restaurants you will never get bored. The food was GREAT and they are not bashful to give you whatever you like if they can. All the restaurants were fabulous but my favorite was the Mediterranean ( if you go you MUST get the yogurt raspberry cake :)

We also did a few spa treatments and they were great as well. I would advise booking a spa appointment because it includes an hour of their pre-spa treatments (ie. sauna, steamroom, spa pool, etc.) Definitely worth it and the spa is huge and beautiful!!!!

They also have a nice business room area above the lobby that offers free high speed internet and I believe if you bring your laptop they offer free wireless in the rooms. They also have a great fitness are although I did not use it :)

I don't usually write reviews, but this place truly was so great in every way that I felt the need to share the experience. You will not be disappointed if you travel here and are looking for a quiet, romantic trip!

8 Thank tdamore
CONNECTICUT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2009

We stayed at the Excellence from 03/01/09 until 03/07/09.
The positives:
The car we arranged through the hotel went off without a hitch- hardly any waiting time, and we were at the hotel in 30 minutes.
The rooms were beautiful and very clean.
The service in the bars and dining was unbeleivable- the people that worked there were very friendly and were right on top of everything. We always tip, but I observed lot of people not tipping (I cant imagine why anyone would do that) but they still they were treated professionally.
Spa was really good also.
The negatives:
The food was not great- I was expecting more elegant food and service for $600.00 a night. Our(only) favorite place to eat was Agave- great Mexican food!
The beach was not pretty like you are used to seeing in Cancun- It cant be helped, but it was a disappointment.
Entertainment, with the exception of the meican dance show was poor.
When we we leaving - the attitude seemed a bit different. William at the check out desk was very indifferent, and didnt seem at all interested in wether we had a good time, our opinions, etc.
Overall, it was a very nice place to stay, but not worth the money at all.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#3 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,079 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!