“Great in every way!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Edmundston, Canada
“Great in every way!”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I am just back for a week stay at this Excellence resort. The first thing you notice when ou arrive is how much the staff is well trained to look after you. From the reception to the cleaning lady, the service is extremely friendly. Many staff even remember your name or the drinks you prefer!

The food was very tasty and well presented. The beach is also very nice. There was a lot of algae on the first day, but the other days were fine. I guess it depends on the predominant winds.

The pools and the grounds are extremely well kept.

The only somewhat negative point is the construction next to the resort which can be noisy at times. We had a room facing it, but did mind, after all, we were hardly ever there.

A+

3 Thank Richard P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,187)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Blainville, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was our 2nd 2w. vacations in 2y. We had a room in the Excellence Club section. The first day on arrival we asked for a different room with a location best for our taste and the following day we were moved to that room! The staff was fantastic and working as a whole to make everything exceptional. we have travelled to so many places but this place is best in terms of rest and serenity. Not to forget the beauty of the resort and special thanks to Naikare, wonderful and beautiful, Antonio, for his great PR, and, of course, Virginia Amadore, simply the best. Please check out that resort.

Room Tip: If you like more action sections 8A/9A are great, if otherwise let the staff help you, there are so...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Nixa, Missouri
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We really enjoyed our recent vacation to Excellence Playa Mujeres. This is a beautiful resort and they maintain it extremely well. They offer some top shelf alcohol, but premix many of their tropical drinks. In my opinion, the food wasn't ideal. It was sort of hit or miss. We made an effort to try all the restaurants except the Indian one. The breakfast and lunch selection is very limited to only 3 of the 7 restaurants and 2 offer the exact same menu. Our choice for lunch would be The Grill or Lobster House (both with identical menus). Our choice for dinner would be the Asian or French restaurants, or The Lobster House and The Grill. Again the food was adequate with a few good dishes and a few disappointments. We were very anxious for American food by the time we left. Also, if you are visiting in the next year be warned that there is extremely loud construction happening to the north side of the resort. It begins before 8 AM and goes through late in the night or early morning. Or maybe it just doesn't stop at all. At any rate it is EXTREMELY LOUD! You'll want to stay on the south side of the resort, trust me.

Other than the food and the construction (which is temporary), I'd say the service, resort, and spa are all very excellent! This resort is far away from Cancun and much more secluded than most all inclusives in the Cancun area. It is great for a relaxing adult only getaway.

Room Tip: If you're traveling in the near future you'll want to stay on the south side of the resort...
3 Thank Corey E
Princeton, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2014

the food, the drinks, the service, the rooms, it was all AMAZING! It cost us $7,000 for 10 days but it was worth every penny. The lobster house was my favourite place to eat. after one meal there, i asked my waiter if we could do that all again and he brought us the same meal again!! Of course my eyes are bigger than my belly but it was great to have a second lobster brought to me immediately! My one and only small complaint is that the lazy river isn't heated and we went in December so it only got up to about +27. That was not hot enough to warm the water so it was quite chilly. We basked in the heat all day though so a quick cool off dip was nice every now and then. Book it now. it was excellent indeed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Ill
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We loved the Excellence..Have stayed at both resorts in the Cancun area. Like the beach at Mujeres the best.
Food, Awesome loved every dinner, absolutely no complaints
Best , is NO RESERVATION NEEDED!
Room Service, Fast and efficient, exactly what we ordered. Nice portion sizes and presented well.
Our Room, well appointed with every ammenity you will need. Plus robes and slippers.
Mini bar, filled daily with pop, juice, water, beer.
Coffee pot, which is a must for us! We loved starting our morning on our balcony with a cup.
Grounds, well manicure and beautiful.
We had no bad experiences or any problems with our stay.
We would have absolutely no problem returning to this amazing resort!
Staff, friendly and always smiling.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wexford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I have visited several beautiful resorts but this exceeded my expectations. The room was amazing, the meals were excellent, and the resort was spotless. Every need was met by the kind staff who clearly wanted to make our trip perfect. The entertainment was continual and very professional. I was especially impressed by the "White Dinner" prepared on the beach. It took the staff all day to set up a beautiful oceanfront dinner for the guests. The variety of performers throughout the evening were very good. All in all...this was my favorite vacation spot I've ever visited.

NYC
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We have never done repeat vacations, but we could not wait to go back here. We went two years ago,loved it SO much that we extended our stay. The service was even better this time which is hard to believe. We'd like to mention a few people who went above and beyond and made our trip so wonderful! Armondo, Juan and Manuel were friendly, helpful and always knew and called us by name(including my grown son which meant a lot to me) making our stay at the Concierge Beach terrific as well a Sara by the Concierge pool by building 8. We loved the little surprises they brought to us each day, shooters( I discovered and now love Tamarindo Bellinis), cerviches, desserts, etc. and having them set us up each nice was lovely. My only complaint, was that a few days there were NO seats in the shade by the private concierge pool AND the beach and every few hours I would go back to check if there were. Until there were, we had to sit by the other pool(albeit we loved that one too with the hammocks, lounge chairs in the pool,etc) but my pet peeve on vacation is having to get to the beach by 7am(which I wound up doing one day after this problem) to get a lounge chair and that's WHY we upgrade to the concierge part to avoid this problem. Onto the restaurants. Our favorite was Spice and Spice Hibachi. SO good,as good as we remembered! My son and husband also LOVED Basmati. We were disappointed however in the Lobster House and Tuscany which last time were two of our favorites. The service in ALL the restaurants were EXCELLENT as in the entire property!!! Orlando a waiter at breakfast, was SO kind and helpful. Recovering from a knee replacement which he did NOT know about, (I suppose he saw me limping with my plate at breakfast from the buffet), EVERY day that he saw me he came over to me and helped me, in fact, he helped me to the pool one day at lunch which was far away! AMAZING and appreciated! Nancy makes the best omelets at breakfast and is always cheerful and we remembered her from our last trip. The themed lunches at Las Olas on the beach were very good as well as FUN with music, etc. Rodrigo Perez at the Martini bar was wonderful as well and incredibly nice and friendly! The activities were plentiful and the three off us enjoyed partaking in some of them, riflery tournament, karaoke, music trivia by the pool,the fitness center,pool table and Texas Holdem tournaments.The ice cream machine was our favorite pitstop during the day!Concierge staff: Byron was very nice and helped us change rooms. We requested when we made our reservation Building 8b like last time and a high floor and when we arrived, we were in building 7 first floor, obstructed view. Since we were second timers and it was our anniversary, we were disappointed. He was able to move us the following morning and we appreciated his help and kindness. Carolina, our concierge manager was INCREDIBLE. A few days into our trip, she came over to me on the beach and introduced herself and knew who we were by name which is always impressive how practically everyone there does which SO many guests! She just wanted to make sure everything was ok on our trip from the housekeeping, to the service, etc. On subsequent days she did the same thing and was GREAT! We also loved the Spa! We enjoyed the water journey a few times throughout our trip and the addition to the head and shoulder massage on the heated stone bed we didn't receive last time,such a treat! The massage on the beach was terrific, relaxing and a nice way to end the day! The anniversary dinner on the beach(although it was incredibly windy that night it was comical but we stuck it out) was DELICIOUS! The service was FABULOUS and we loved and were surprised by the saxophone player that serenaded us. Our BIGGEST Thank You goes to Naikare Mediaceja, the guest service manager! She saw my husband on the beach and asked him what we were doing for dinner the following night(which happened to be our last and my son already had gone home). She said she wanted to surprise us and wouldn't tell us what. We told her Barcelona the Spanish restaurant was what we were planning and she asked what time we wanted to go and made us a reservation(later about dinner reservations). When we got there they ushered us to a special table with big red velvet chairs, roses and candles on the table. We thought that was our surprise. She obviously knew we were there and came over to us and told us she had a special menu planned not that from Barcelona. I told her I don't eat red meat and she said no worries. We were treated to a DELICIOUS four course dinner with the BEST dessert!!! Mine was lobster tail and shrimp and my husband's was surf and turf (see pictures posted) INCREDIBLE! The service was perfection as well! We were very appreciative and surprised. THEN, when we go back to our room there was a trail of rose petals from the door all the way to the jacuzzi, around the jacuzzi were petals filled with candles AND there in the bubbles inside the tub was the shape of a heart made from more rose petals (the water was still hot and we still wonder how they did that not knowing when we'd return to our room)AND a heart of petals on the bed AND a delicious dessert of chocolate mousse and chocolate covered strawberries! I cried when I walked into the room, overwhelmed with gratitude that someone would do this for us,it was like something out of a movie. I couldn't way to see Naikare at breakfast the next morning to thank and hug her! She made our trip!!! Her kindness and attention to detail are beyond words! If there is anything negative to say about this property is the problem about getting seats by the private pool and beach in the shade, this time there were no dinner reservations allowed(last time you could make one for Chez Isabelle the French restaurant and this time the wait was an hour and a half so finally we went one night at 6pm when they opened to get in although we like to eat later)and Spice Hibachi last time let you last time make it at noon the same day and this time you had to get on line at 6pm when they opened to assure a spot that night. The waits at all the restaurants at 7pm were 45 minutes so you either have to dine early or after 8:30 to avoid this, there must be a better system. Check out was also a nightmare for my husband. They were suppose to come at 10am to move us to a Hospitality room for the rest of the day until our flight which we appreciated. They never showed up and my husband called them a few times until 11am when he finally went down to the concierge. They moved him(us) BUT the keys didn't work THREE times the bellhop and finally Carolina had to come help him and get the right keys to let him in. He spent THREE HOURS that morning(from 10-1) wasting his entire last day frustrated. The problem got solved finally at one o'clock and we left at two, so for him it was not an "Excellence" day at all unfortunately. All in all, we LOVE this place and have recommended it to all our friends! They say three times the charm and we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Last time we stayed in building 8b, this time we stayed in 8a. The view was SPECTACULAR in 8a BUT it...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank FitGal19
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests but reviews like yours serve us to motivate us even more; we have forwarded your message to all our Department Managers.
We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!