Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Excellence. Although we usually do very short stays at AIs (we get bored pretty quickly) my husband and I were very pleased with this resort. The service was exceptional - starting off with the airport pick up and champagne toast upon arrival. They "upgraded" us to a swim up room b/c it was my husband's birthday. (Although, with the noise I would probably have preferred a higher floor - but I appreciate the effort) They decorated the room for a birthday and had a small cake and bottle of champagne waiting for us. This was without prompting! I tried to do this at another place a year ago and couldn't get a response from them - so I was impressed to say the least.
Pros: Grounds and rooms are immaculate and well kept. There are tons of staff milling around making everything fabulous for you. There was lots of pool space and one has little trouble finding a lounging spot - plus, I'm partial to the tiki huts! Plenty of beach towels. I appreciate the water activities available - tried to get out on a paddle board one day but there was a problem with availability. No one tried to sell me a timeshare!!! (I don't even know if they are available!) The rooms are spacious with walk-in closets, double shower, robes/slippers/big towels provided, and a large balcony for dining or lounging.
Cons: The fridge in the room didn't make things very cold. The coffee and toiletries provided in the rooms were of poor quality. We never heard our neighbors, but the traffic out in the hall was loud and clear as day. Although there are many restaurants to choose from, 80% of them are only open for dinner. Breakfast & lunch got boring b/c there are only 3 places open during this time: the buffet and two side by side outdoor areas by the main pool. So if you want to try all of the restaurants you'd have to stay a week! And although the service & presentation was always superb, the food was hit or miss, usually "just okay".
Overall the pros greatly outweighed the cons and we would certainly return. The gym is smallish and mostly big machines. They offered a different style of group fitness class every day which I thought was cool. (But they usually started at 9:00, which I thought was kind of late) Stay long enough and they are bound to get to a class you'd enjoy.
We had a great time playing in the Texas Hold Em tournament one day! Fun way to pass the time and meet a few other guests. ($20 buy in) I didn't catch his name, but the dealer was so fun and energetic and patient with me as I was used to Vegas style betting.
Like most AIs, this place is set apart from civilization. So unless you are content reading by the pool all day, I'd recommend planning some excursions. Great for a short stay for us though!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury adults-only resort nestled among seven swimming pools on a powdery white sand beach, in a community that boasts a spectacular Greg Norman signature golf course. This jewel of Cancun sets a new standard of luxury for all-inclusives with finely tuned amenities such as one-of-a-kind accommodations including two-story rooftop terrace suites with a private Plunge pool, meticulous service, gourmet cuisine, an exquisite spa and the signature Excellence Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Savannahville Tours N.V., Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Excellence Playa Mujeres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Excellence Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Playa Mujeres Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Cancun