“You'll be happy with your choice”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“You'll be happy with your choice”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Excellence. Although we usually do very short stays at AIs (we get bored pretty quickly) my husband and I were very pleased with this resort. The service was exceptional - starting off with the airport pick up and champagne toast upon arrival. They "upgraded" us to a swim up room b/c it was my husband's birthday. (Although, with the noise I would probably have preferred a higher floor - but I appreciate the effort) They decorated the room for a birthday and had a small cake and bottle of champagne waiting for us. This was without prompting! I tried to do this at another place a year ago and couldn't get a response from them - so I was impressed to say the least.

Pros: Grounds and rooms are immaculate and well kept. There are tons of staff milling around making everything fabulous for you. There was lots of pool space and one has little trouble finding a lounging spot - plus, I'm partial to the tiki huts! Plenty of beach towels. I appreciate the water activities available - tried to get out on a paddle board one day but there was a problem with availability. No one tried to sell me a timeshare!!! (I don't even know if they are available!) The rooms are spacious with walk-in closets, double shower, robes/slippers/big towels provided, and a large balcony for dining or lounging.

Cons: The fridge in the room didn't make things very cold. The coffee and toiletries provided in the rooms were of poor quality. We never heard our neighbors, but the traffic out in the hall was loud and clear as day. Although there are many restaurants to choose from, 80% of them are only open for dinner. Breakfast & lunch got boring b/c there are only 3 places open during this time: the buffet and two side by side outdoor areas by the main pool. So if you want to try all of the restaurants you'd have to stay a week! And although the service & presentation was always superb, the food was hit or miss, usually "just okay".

Overall the pros greatly outweighed the cons and we would certainly return. The gym is smallish and mostly big machines. They offered a different style of group fitness class every day which I thought was cool. (But they usually started at 9:00, which I thought was kind of late) Stay long enough and they are bound to get to a class you'd enjoy.
We had a great time playing in the Texas Hold Em tournament one day! Fun way to pass the time and meet a few other guests. ($20 buy in) I didn't catch his name, but the dealer was so fun and energetic and patient with me as I was used to Vegas style betting.
Like most AIs, this place is set apart from civilization. So unless you are content reading by the pool all day, I'd recommend planning some excursions. Great for a short stay for us though!

2 Thank BandN129

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,193)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I am sure you, as do I, read these reviews and wonder can I trust the oddball behind the words. You never know because after all, there can be no disputes in matters of taste. But you can trust me. I am a cynical New Yorker who can find fault with the Hope diamond. So here goes.

This is probably the best resort in the Cancun area, Playa del Carmen included.
Does that mean the food is significantly superior to the Fairmont or the Blue Diamond? No, but it is equal and more varied. Each restaurant is not always brilliant but there is something always brilliant to be had at each restaurant. The tacos at the Mexican theme restaurant were the best I ever had. Anywhere. The service, and the attitude behind all the services, is peerless. Lovely people always available and never a discouraging word. The grounds are brilliantly clean. The bars perfectly stocked, etc. etc. But one encounter tells the tale better than the rest.

Angel, a waiter at The Grill, is a friendly and funny guy. We befriend him over a period of days and when we announce that Saturday evening will be our last at the resort, he insists we spend it with him - he will plan a special menu. We arrive at nine to a beautifully set table and the feast begins. No menu. The specifics are unimportant except to say that six courses later we nearly had to be carried back to our room. Mr. Armondo said hello, as did Marcos, as did the chef as did anyone in sight, the mood was so festive. It was a blast.

Okay the nightly entertainment. I am one of those people who would never go on a cruise, hate the idea, couldn't bear the entertainers. The shows each night here however were simply great fun, not always brilliant but never not a fine diversion. Great singers and the circus act, the jugglers and the clowns were great fun as well.

The place is not a haven for the cerebral. The music is always playing somewhere. But if you give in to their rhythm, their heartbeat, you will smile all day.

We will be back. Oh, if you want solitude go to the very well appointed Gym. no one but us ever seemed to use the facilities.

Oh, the wi-fi works just fine and the beds are great.

Room Tip: Buy the Excellence Club package. Nice perks.
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to Excellence Playa Mujeres on my birthday, February 1st, 2014. Previously I have not stayed at any all-inclusive or been to Cancun, so I did not know what to expect. He booked a car service to pick us up from the airport. The airport pick up was a little bit hectic because there's a lot of people, but I found the driver after calling the company. The driver gave us cold towels, bottled water, and helped us with our bags. Driver was extremely nice, cheerful, wonderful, and made us feel like home.

Upon entering the grounds, I noticed there are a lot of security checkpoints by doormans with clipboards. This made me feel quite safe :) . At the front of the hotel, we were greeted promptly and had cold champagne and towels. I didn't even have a chance to sit down to drink my champagne when we were escorted to the Excellence Club Room. There we only waited less than 5 minutes and was being helped with the check-in process. Everything was so fast, and at that point, it really exceeded my expectations.

Aside from this, it seems like another visitor was openly crying and whining about ocean front rooms, which I think is childish.. but that's not the hotel's fault. At every moment, the staff acted very professionally and discreet to calm down this visitor, and felt like they were doing everything to make her happy. Frankly, I feel that you are in a beautiful resort, and instead of focusing on being at a beautiful place, some people just have the need to act extremely spoiled rotten. (anyway....)

Upon going to our room, which was a Jr. Swim up .. everything was pristine. There's chocolate cake on the table with Happy Birthday written on it, and balloons all over the bed. I was elated. The weather was gorgeous, there's an outside patio where you can have breakfast and everything is just amazing. There was also a personal letter in the room addressed to us that they will be around if we need anything at all.. The service is beyond expected.

We stayed for 4 nights and every night the house keeping replenished the Bvlgari products and the showers included a "line" to dry your bikinis. The room is very well thought out and drinks inside the room were excellent. Despite we didn't end up drinking most of it...

Bartender is right outside in the pool area and the drinks were excellent. In terms of food, I will have separate rating for each of the restaurants. I feel that the food is average-above average at most places and the selection is very good. I do feel that the in-room service for the food is a little bit subpar due to the amount of people ordering room service. I would recommend going to Toscana in the morning and get a huge buffet spread.

The beach area outside the pool does have a lot of seaweed that washes ashore. In the morning I see hotel grounds keeper sweeping and tugging out the seaweed. I think this is no fault to the hotel, and they're trying their best to keep the area clean. It just might be the location of the ocean and the season. I didn't swim in the ocean because of the seaweed, but having a cabana/hut with drinks service is superb.

Overall, this is probably one of the best hotels I've been to, coming very close to Sheraton in Maui, Hawaii! This trip made me feel like I was on my honeymoon with my boyfriend instead of my birthday. It's a very romantic place and private area, which I recommend for couples! ;) I was even more romantically in love with my bf after this trip.. thank you Excellence!

8 Thank babielo
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Last year we spent 10 days at EC and loved it, so this year another couple decided to join us and we had a fabulous time at EPM.

A special thank you to Julio and Yesenia our servers at the pools who did a wonderful job quenching our thirst. I loved the icebergs (corona and frozen margarita) and our friends were very pleased to learn that Bud Light was available. All staff, no matter whether they were in a customer service role or not, were so pleasant and seem genuinely happy for us to be enjoying our vacation.

We loved the food and this is a big accomplishment with two very picky eaters in our group. We took advantage of room service quite a bit this year and encourage others to give it a try. The Flavour's Market was a nice surprise and the staff at the Grill during dinner are so much fun.

The rooms were great and I liked the set up better than EC and the swim-up patio was large enough to entertain all four of us comfortably.

The resort caters to everyone - if you are active, there is lot's to do; if you prefer to spend your day by the beach, pool or balcony you won't be disappointed. If you want peace and quiet, there are lovely little hideaways and if you want to party, you'll love the atmosphere at the big pool.

All in all a wonderful holiday and we hope to return next year!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Michelle F
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 40th birthday's recently with 7 other couple friends at the Excellence from Feb 6-10th, 2014. I researched many properties and settled on this one because of the reviews and listed amenities of this property. ALL 16 in our party agreed the property exceeded all expectations and was a fantastic trip. All of us had swim up rooms which my agent recommended. One couple upgraded to the rooftop sweet with the private pool so we all toured their room. It is the same room as the swim up but there is a staircase that leads to the roof with a private mini pool, deck and great view. Not sure what the price difference is but was a very unique suite and one i would like to try if we visit again. Room service for breakfast is a must in the swim up room. We ordered at 9am, they said would take 40 minutes. So we went for a jog and workout and upon our return an hour later everything was setup in our room. We enjoyed the breakfast on the back porch and felt truly taken away to another world.

The property is gorgeous with plants, flowers and tropical trees and foliage everywhere that is immaculately well kept. The architecture is beautiful with what appears to be hand lain brick arches ceilings in the grand foyer entering the property and in the large theatre where nightly shows are performed.

All of the restaurants we visited were great. The pools are even better than the photos and yes, the hammocks are numerous and available! The only bummer was the limited beach side beds which were always taken by "early birds" as nothing can be reserved.

We enjoyed beach volleyball, beach and poolside drink servers, hobie cat sailing (at one point our group had 3 of these out racing each other!), and top of the line service at every turn. Every single employee we encountered was smiling, engaging, and aimed to please. We brought a healthy amount of small bills to reward the servers (even though they always delivered whether you tipped or not).

My one recommendation to any visitor is to take a catamaran trip through Samba tours and ask for "Gerson" to be your guide. Our group chartered a private Catamaran for 6 hours that took us snorkeling, held a sand shark, ate a buffet on the island Mujeres, then took us to North Beach at island Mujeres, dropped us in waist deep water to enjoy a gorgeous beach,while "Gerson" swam us beers and cocktails for an hour and a half! Literally, this guy donned flippers and a snorkel and with a tube and drink holder, swam about a 300 ft round trip over and over again. Unbelievable! Hands down the best service any of us ever experienced. The cost was about $170 per couple, then we all tipped him $20-30 each as he truly earned it.

I could go on and on about this property but to summarize, having been to a Sandals all inclusive in the Bahamas, and a Jamaican all inclusive, this place blew both of them out of the water. I would go back to this property tomorrow!

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Request a swim up room unless u upgrade to rooftop. For quiet get one in building 2,3,4. If you wa...
9 Thank Kyle H
Orange City, Iowa
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had a great experience at this resort. The food was awesome, and the service was great. We really appreciated Cecilia and Caesar as staff. The beach was great and loved the swim up bar. Rooms were good, but the lights in the bathroom lighting was a bit dim for my wife.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank OC002
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Our stay was in Feb 2013, its a very late review, but better late than never!
Firstly i would like to say the hotel is beautiful! And service is fabulous (most of the time!!) As i would expect at this price range,
Food lets this place down so badly, yes there are so many choice of restaurants but everything i have eaten is just soo average, which is very disappointing, as an isolated resort, i felt all there is to do is chillout, eat n drink, so food IS a big part.
So Excellence please sort it out, as the property is perfect, with better food, this really can be the best of the best!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank princesslala88
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us.

We certainly appreciate the generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation. On the other hand, we are saddened to read that we fell short on your culinary expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple, and also creative dining experiences. Our Food & Beverage Manager and our Executive Chef have received your feedback and are working on improvements to guarantee our guest the best quality possible.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!