Excellence Playa Mujeres
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Finest Playa Mujeres(Playa Mujeres)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Hotel Riu Dunamar(Playa Mujeres)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Room Service
Playa Arena(Isla Mujeres)
12,959 results
All reviewsmartini barchez isabelleflavor marketlobsterthe grillsol barrooftop terracemain poolour honeymooncafe kafecarolina pazec poolnon ecroom servicebuilding conciergefrench restaurantswim up room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 11, 2014

my husband and i stayed at the excellence riviera cancun for our honeymoon in 2008. we had a great experience there and decided to try another excellence property for our quick getaway. we were not disappointed. the hotel is beautiful, but the real gem of this property is the staff. the service was absolutely outstanding.

unfortunately, there is construction at the lot next door which primarily affects the 9000 building. we asked to be moved, and the hotel was able to accommodate our request. normally, we are very active vacationers and don't spend much time in our room during the day (so it wouldn't have been that big of a problem). however, on this short trip, we were there to relax and unwind and knew we would be spending a fair amount of time on our balcony.

on our honeymoon, we upgraded to the excellence club and enjoyed the extra amenities so we chose to do the same this time. we were not disappointed! however, we have friends and family that stayed in standard rooms at both properties and had wonderful experiences. it is not necessary, but if you can swing it, i would recommend the upgrade.

i love that reservations are not necessary for dinner at this resort. we are on vacation -- who the heck wants to plan ahead?? we tended to eat dinner a bit late (830-900) so we didn't have to wait for a table. if there is a wait, they give you a pager and you can go to one of the bars and relax and enjoy a drink while you wait. or you can pick a different restaurant. overall, the food was very good. i think the breakfast buffet was my favorite. 24 hour room service is definitely a plus.

overall, i think that this is an outstanding property. we would definitely return for another stay.

3  Thank lel7176
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Having just returned from this resort I felt compelled to write this review in an effort to save other travellers from the mistake we had made.
This resort absolutely lives up to it's name, the grounds are beautiful, the wait staff goes above and beyond your expectations, the rooms are very clean and lovely however...
I do wish someone would have told us that this is not a resort for groups of people. They cater to couples, ie. 2 people or 4 people. (Romantic Getaway)
We were travelling as a group of 12 and the issue started on our arrival. They could not seat a group of 12 people for lunch at the lobster house, "go next door to the grille maybe they can accommodate you". Tried it and was told, "sorry we can't". Looking around at lots of empty tables....interesting.
By dinner time at the french restuarant we figured it out, large group, makes more noise, not romantic for other diners. OK we get it now, can you seat 3 groups of 4? yes come back at 9:00pm (when it is quieter in the restaurant) even though lots of empty tables. We actually watched them seat other groups of 4 ahead of us as they came in.
2nd day we arrive for dinner at Spice, ask for a group of 12 again, no sorry we can't seat all of you. Again we try for 3 groups of 4, no turned away. So we decided to speak to the concierge. They will accommodate us as a group at either 6:30 or 9:00pm, come see us every day at noon and book your restuarant. Translation, leave the beach early for dinner or miss the show at night.
Given that this went on like this all week, we were very annoyed. If this resort had of stated in their advertising that they don't cater to groups we would have chosen another location.
On our last night at the resort, concierge called and asked us which restuarant we would like to dine at that night as a group. We selected Spice again as we all wanted to try it given the reviews. So, we were permitted to dine in Spice at 2 separate tables of 6 at 6:30 pm. Really! Just so happens it was Mexican Fiesta night and most other quests would be there instead of the restaurants. Go figure.
Our mothers 73rd birthday night, we go to concierge to book a table for all of us. The only restaurant they would put us in as a group was the Mexican. Very disappointing as I am pretty sure we paid the same price as everyone else to come here.
I was extremely disappointed and for this reason I will not return. We are not a loud bunch and we have travelled together as a group for many years without an issue. This is the first time we have ever felt like this after travelling to AI's all over the Carribean and Mexico. Hope I can save someone else the same disappointment we encountered.
I can't blame the staff for this one, it definately comes from upper management.
If you are travelling as a couple you will love this resort.

Room Tip: We were in Building 8 and it was close to everything.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank SLSCanuck
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We got to EPM they where right there to greet us with a hot towel a glass of wine and happy smiles.

We went down with a large group so it did take them some time to get us all of our rooms. So if anyone is going down make sure you have your swim wear ready or you will be hot.

Our room was amazing. It was a great size. The hot tub is on the smaller size so if two people want to use it and you are taller good luck. But it could make for some great laughs.

We had a room that faced the spa. And you know what it was still great. The lazy river that goes around and at night with all the lights is so pretty.

There are many places to eat. And their food is good too. We liked Toscana and Spice the best.

Room service was good. Great to get if you need to get up first thing in the morning because you are going somewhere. Or just feel like staying in. The menu it pretty good.

The grounds are very well kept. We where always seeing new things around that we never saw before.

When we planned on doing things off EPM we would always plan it through the hotel it's self. There is 2 desks on the main level. they dont work for the hotel. They only rent out the space. you need to go to the main lobby and talk to them.

Everynight they have a turn down service. loved it.

Ive read on here that some people say house keeping seemed to come late all the time. We never found that. They where always there about 10am

The beach is pretty good. Not the best one I have been too but they keep it pretty clean.

We plan on going back to EPM. it was sad when we had to leave.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the spa. I think this is a little better. Its more private with less nose.
1  Thank blueeyes082
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

We are on the last day of our honeymoon which has been fantastic! The Excellence Playa Mujeres has been the best choice for our honeymoon and we would recommend it to anyone.

The roof top rooms are definitely good value for money and well worth the extra $ if you can stretch to it. We had one for 14 nights and used it everyday. We enjoyed the peace and quiet and it was extremely relaxing. The rooms are beautiful and very well appointed. Our bed was to our taste and we found it comfortable. We did not use the main pool much but there was always something happening to keep people entertained! I wish I had not missed the famous monkey drinks!!!!

The concierge team at EPM deserve a very special mention as they went above and beyond to ensure we had a great time. Alfonso Fernandez is a fantastic head concierge and Excellence should be very glad to have him working here! He is very kind and helpful and he certainly knows how to look after guests well.I am sure it is Karisma's greatest loss ;-)!!Gwendaline and Carolina were also fantastic and the team ensured we had everything we needed and more, to enjoy our honeymoon. Thank you for our daily suprises and for our wonderful meal that we know was very thoughtful and special. Thank you for making sure we always got a seat in our favourite restaurants and for remembering my birthday. We were treated so well and we know you really went out to spoil us. We really appreciate all your efforts.

The food here is generally good. The flavour market is our favourite and chef Rodriguez went out of his way to prepare us a special menu every time we went there. He made us some fantastic food and he was always so eager to prepare us something special. Sara the hostess was also very good and we always enjoyed talking to her.
Chez Isabelle, spice and basmati were our other favourites. We did not care much for Toscana as it needs to be styled more and looked a bit like a canteen. We had room service breakfast everyday, sometimes for lunch and we enjoyed the pizzas from the sol bar. Get the margarita it's delicious!

The quality of service at this hotel was beyond expectation. Yametin who cleaned our room was so kind and helpful and she always did a great job. The guy who stocked our mini bar was a great guy. Everyday he bought us extra of the things we liked. Also every morning the pool guy would knock on the door and heat the pool. It's the extra touches like this that make this place great.

Caeser and Hugo at the Martini bar kept us entertained each afternoon and evening and work so fast to keep the drinks flowing. They are fantastic and deserve to be recognised for their efforts. The drinks were excellent and they had every brand and drink you could think of!

I have recommended this hotel to two couples looking for a honeymoon this year and a friend of mine is booked to come in June-I am sure they will have a fabulous time! The hotel is ran exceptionally well and we could not have had a better stay. Virginia should be very proud of her team here and I am sure Alfonso and his concierge team will continue to exceed guests expectations. Thank you for a fantastic time and we will be sure to return soon, Victoria and Richard Holcroft.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Victoria H
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is a beautiful resort. The grounds are amazing, very picturesque. The service is great, too, every staff member you met would greet you with an "Hola" as you passed. The first day we were there, we asked where a couple of places were and we were personally escorted to those places by the staff members. On the downside, if you enjoy swimming in the ocean, I would recommend another resort. This place has a huge seaweed problem. It washes up and you have seaweed that extends several feet up along the beach and runs for miles both directions. It is also just floating around out in the water when you go for a swim. For those who don't care for swimming in the ocean, this is obviously not a big deal. For others, like us, who enjoy getting out and swimming as much as possible, it is rather off-putting.

The rooms are amazing. We were in a junior suite with a pool view. The shower was awesome. The shower is a huge walkin with a rainfall showerhead in the middle and a hand shower head on the side. Plenty of room for two (or probably even four people, if that is the way you swing). The mirrors over the vanity might be a little high to some, I am 6 feet tall and was pretty much looking into the center of the circular mirror. My wife is 5' 7" tall and did not complain or even mention them, someone a couple to a few inches shorter than her might have some problems, though. The only downside to the room was the toilet area. The door that you close to the toilet room is glass. It is probably 3-4" clear glass around the perimeter and the entire center is frosted glass. So, you can see in easily from the sides, which isn't as big of a deal as the fact that there is about 4 or 5 inches of clearance between the bottom of the door and the floor and over a foot of clearance between the top of the door and the ceiling. It doesn't really lend itself to a romantic type atmosphere. Basically you can turn the volume up really loud on the TV or send you mate out on the balcony when you are in the bathroom. I guess for some couples this isn't a big deal, newlyweds that don't have an interest in knowing all the details of their partners bowel habits, might look into other resorts.

The restaurants we found to be very hit or miss, mainly miss. We ate at the buffet every moring for breakfast. It was unremarkable, nothing stood out. However, it was very large and you had a lot of options to choose from. They have a crepe and pancake station, an omlete station, pastry station, juice station, cereal station, and various other items. We never had a problem getting a table and the service was good.

For lunch, we ate at the lobster house. I had the beef fillet, which I believe was the chef's special and it was probably the best thing that I ate the entire trip. Guacamole and salsa are served there with every meal, the chips seem to be made on site and were always stale.

For dinner, we ate at:
Spice (Asian restaurant) - We did not eat at the Hibachi (we did not even realize that they had one until after the meal). We ordered the sushi appetizers Maki Combo and the Maki & Nigiri, which were not good at all. I wouldn't even say it was average. I have had much better sushi at cheap Chinese buffet restaurants.
My wife and I both had the Tom Kha Gai soup and it was excellent. Hands down the best soup we had during our stay.
For our dinner, I had the Triple Spicy Duck, which actually was pretty decent for duck and my with had the beef medallion, which were okay.
We both ordered desserts, they were not very impressive.

Basmati (Indian)
Basmati was our favorite restaurant. We are not hugh Indian food fans, but decided to go there from seeing other positive reviews. We ordered appetizers, which we weren't too impressed with (the Paneer Ka Tikka and the Barrah Kabab). The Nan and the three dipping sauces were tasty. For the entree, I had the Lamb Gassi, which was excellent. My wife had the Chicken Tikka Masala, which she said was really good. Basmati also served the best (and only dessert that my wife and I enjoyed the entire trip at any of the restaurants that we ate at). It was a slice of pineapple with ice cream on top (can't remember the name, but it was outstanding).

The Lobster House (Seafood)
The Lobster house was the restaurant that I was looking forward to eating at the most during our stay. It was very disappointing. The Lobster Chowder and Seafood Bisque soups were both really good. However, my grilled lobster with ajillo chilli butter was horrible, very bland. My wife had the stuffed lobster, that was a little better, but she really didn't care for her meal either.

Chez Isabelle (French)
This is another restaurant that really disappointed us. The start you off with flavored bread rolls, which were amazing. Unfortunately, it was all downhill from there. I had the Boeuf Tartar, which was pretty good. The Pate de Canard au Poivre Vert wasn't all that impressive, though. My wife had the french onion soup and I had the bouillabaisse, neither one of us would really recommend either of these soups. For dinner, I had the Fillet Mignon and my wife had the beef medallions. It is very, very, rare that I have ever had a steak that I had no interest in finishing, but both my wife and I left our steaks over half uneatten.

The drinks were awesome. My wife and I are not heavy drinkers, we go months without drinking actually, but we had a bunch of strawberry daiquiris with banana liqueur added and they were incredible.

The shows were nice. The Michael Jackson show was pretty cool. The singers were all good.

Overall, this is a really nice resort. The grounds are amazing, but the food is average at best. The ocean is disappointing with all of the seaweed. The room and shower are amazing. I have no idea what they were thinking with the bathroom door to the toilet. Overall, I would rate this resort probably 3.5 stars. Part of the problem, is that we have stayed at a higher priced all-inclusive, that was better than Excellence Playa Mujeres in every single aspect of the resort. Maybe it isn't fair to rate Excellence Playa Mujeres against that as a gold standard, but with the food issues, the seaweed, and horrible toilets, I cannot give it better than 3.5 stars.

Room Tip: Request a pillowtop mattress.
4  Thank balderic
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres with all Trip Advisor Readers.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

On the other hand, we are disappointed to read that we fell short on your culinary expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple and also creative dining experiences. We also would like to remind all of our guests that if you want to eat something that is not in our restaurants, please let us know, and our Chef will be more than happy to prepare a special meal for you, if the ingredients are available.

Regarding the mentioned issue with the beach, please note that depending on weather conditions, the ocean can be seen more clearly some days than others. Be sure we definitely do our best to keep our beach as clean as nature allows.