“Excellence is "Excellent"”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Kansas City, Missouri
“Excellence is "Excellent"”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We are finishing our 8 day stay today at the Excellence Playa Mujeres and it was everything we had hoped it would be. We have stayed at several all inclusives in the carribean but this was our first in Mexico. We picked the right resort. Everything from the staff, the service, and the accommodations were first class.

We had an Excellence Club Ocean View room in building 8 on the second floor that was wonderful. Would recommend if u don't mind spending a few more $$$ that u take advantage of the excellence Club. The extra attention u get from the time u check in until u leave was worth it. Also, building 8 is much closer to the beach and restaurants. Building 9 is very nice and quiet bit a bit further away from beach and restaurants.

If u have any special requests just let the concierge know and they will take care of it. We wanted ice delivered every day at 4PM and coffee at 7Am and it was always on time.

The housekeeping staff did a great job. Our room was always cleaned by 10 AM and turn down service recleaned the room again every evening around 7-8PM. If u want to eat later u can just let them know not to turn your room down in the evening until later. They were always very accommodating to any request.

We ate in all the restaurants except the Indian and while we enjoyed some more than others they were all good. Our favorites were the hibachi dinner at Spice and the French restaurant. As I said the food in some was better than others but all in all it was good. Breakfast can be either early at the buffet or later in the 2 restaurants that have table service. Great breakfast selection and u probably won't be hungry for lunch. But lunch. Is also good and can be had either on the beach or in one of the linchpin restaurants. They also have a pizza chef who makes some great pies that u can have for lunch on the beach.

The private beach for the Excellence Club guests was a nice perk. They had great beach attendants who set up your chairs and kept u in drinks and food throughout the day. But there are some issues with the beach and pool regardless if u are an Excellence Club guest or not. Everyone gets there early(6- 7AM) to reserve their spots, especially if u want to get under one of the umbrellas. The Excellent club staff is at the beach by 6:30 to help u set up. If u get to the beach after around 7:30 u will still be able to get a nice lounger to use but not an umbrella. Here's a tip that worked for us. Get t know your beach attendants and be sure to give the a tip . We usually gave them a few $$$ throughout the day. If u have a nice attendant they will look out for u and even hold spot under an umbrella. A few $$$ makes a difference. If u are not staying in an Excellence Club room all the umbrella lounges by the public pool areas were usually taken by 7 AM. Although they say there is a policy to not reserve lounges it is very abused and not enforced.

As with any resort some will always find things that they don't like. For us the pros certainly out weighed any cons and we would definitely come back in the future to the Excellence Playa Mujeres.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank curdeb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,193)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Washington, Illinois
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I and another couple spent the third week of January at EPM. We loved it. While not perfect, it was excellent. There were a few negatives, but overall the positives far outweigh the negatives.

First, the few negatives: on some days, depending on the wind and the waves, there was an issue with seaweed. They do try there best to keep up with it, but some days it seemed to be a losing battle. It is small leafy seaweed, not big chunky stuff like I have experienced elsewhere, so to me it wasn't really an issue.
We also booked a excellence club rooftop terrace room. When we first checked in we found out the room was only on the third floor, and it was a corner room, not one where the terrace was above the room. We didn't like it at first because of a lack of privacy, but actually as the week went on, we really liked it. It was in building 8a at the very south end of the building so we had good sun most of the day, and the terrace was huge, much bigger then the regular ones. Another negative was that the terrace pool was cold. They will come and warm it up for you if you ask, but it doesn't stay that way overnight (remembering that we were there in January).
For some people the lack of privacy in the bathroom is an issue. It wasn't really for us, but we have been married for 31 years, so we're pretty comfortable with each other.

Now the positives:
First and foremost the people. That is the number one thing that would bring us back to EPM. I have seen a few complaints about people on here, but my thinking is, the way you treat people is usually the way you get treated. Dalel in the Excellence club was so helpful and friendly. She was willing to do whatever she could when we first expressed concern about our room. After the first day we decided to stay where we were, but she would have gotten a new one, and even showed me an alternative room. Everyone in the club was very friendly.
We also enjoyed Pamela at the Lobster House, Cindy at the juice bar, Manuel at the Excellence beach, Jorge and Raquel on the beach. There were many others whose names I don't recall, but most everyone we encountered were friendly. We have always been tippers at the all-inclusives that we have been to. A little goes a long way for the people that are so warm and friendly to us.
We were at all the restaurants except the Indian one. They were all good, some better than others. Chez Isabelle was our favorite.
We enjoyed the quality selection of drinks and food available on the beach, so we ate lunch on the beach most days. I also made a few trips to the bar where they have the wood fire pizzas. They are very good as well. We enjoyed having bottles of Negra Modelo on the beach, definitely our favorite Mexican beer. The liquor in the room is of good quality, especially the Don Julio. If you haven't tried it you should. It is quality tequila, not the stuff that most Americans drink.
My wife and I also had a couples massage that was very nice. We had the hydrotherapy prior to the massage, and quite frankly we would probably skip that next time. It was my wife's first massage, and she really liked it.

The atmosphere of the place is upscale and beautiful, not not gilded and stuffy. We felt very comfortable there.

Overall we really enjoyed our week there, and are ready to go back.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Rich B
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Great experience, close to airport, away from riff raff. Stay in the 'exclusive' part (I forget what they call it, but provides access to a luxury lounge, private beach and pool area.). Service = excellent! bring small bills with you for tipping (even though they say it's included) - $'s are expensive (20% premium) and hard to get (one cash machine on site). Negatives: pools were a little cold, hot tubs are luke warm, beds are a bit hard, and some of the food is 2.5 stars out of 4 (breakfast buffet and Mexican restaurant were 4 stars). Weather, beach, service, drinks and ease of 'getaway' from US = 5 stars. We paid one price for resort, flight and private car service - I liked that b/c it eliminated extra work and everything went off without a hitch. Spa is three stars.

Extra note about service / attention to detail: We went Super Bowl weekend. All inclusive resort, outside of USA, and no special advertising at time of booking regarding any Super Bowl event. They threw a Super Bowl party for the ages!! Two 4' x 5' cakes with each teams'logos. Hundreds of team-themed cupcakes, full buffet and grill (in addition to all other restaurants). 2 x huge, high-quality projection tv's fired up with amazing sound system. Cheerleaders, contests, waiters dressed as referees. High-end, cushioned wicker chairs (always there), for relaxing, home-like comfort, and never had to wait in line for anything - drinks, nothing - staff was on top of it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 196jamesn
Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I have been to Cancun/Riviera Maya 5 times. 4/5 stays were in the Excellence or Preferred Clubs. This Resort had a very poor Excellence Club.
Their top shelf liquor in the room was Svetke Vodka; Rum, Tequila, and Gin were "top shelf", but we don't drink Rum or Gin.
We sent our liquor/beer request to the Concierge before our arrival, (Gray Goose and a certain beer), but they were not in our room on arrival and after asking the Excellence Club concierge, we still did not get it. We were able to get a bottle of Grand Marne by tipping the guy who restocked our room. He also brought my husband Victoria Beer a couple days and then, no more....very frustrating.

The room was never made up until we were back from the pool and ready to take a nap, then they would come, catching us in compromising positions. When we were getting ready to go to dinner, they would come and want to do the turn down service, again, we were in the shower or half naked getting ready.

We just felt like for a 5 star Resort, and paying extra $ for the Excellence Club, it could have been better organized. The Concierge in the Excellence Club were not very welcoming. They would always say hi, but did not go out of their way to make things better.

Paul and David at the Excellence Club Pool were very friendly and helpful. The attendant that brought our luggage to the room was very pro-active getting our room changed. We requested and paid for a Ocean Front with Terrace in the EC and got a room overlooking The Grill restaurant, not very private, nor ocean front! We changed rooms the next day, which was a pain, but they did help us move or luggage. The second room had an great view of the ocean!

The restaurant meals were not consistent. My sister in law ordered Filet Mignon and the beef was a piece of roast...this was a the French Restaurant that was suppose to be so good. The Tapa's were very good, and the Sushi at Spice very good. Italian Restaurant very slow service.

The grounds of the resort were beautiful, it was small and an easy walk to the restaurants and shows. One thing I was so surprised was at the main martini bar, their top shelf liquor was Smirnoff Vodka?! Really?! When I asked for Gray Goose the bartender told me that was only in the EC! What about Absolute? This is a 5 Star Resort after all!

The beach was beautiful, the catamarans were fun. We had a romantic dinner on the beach that was very nice too! The spa was Excellent!! Very nice and relaxing.

For first time all inclusive resort vacationers this place is great! But if you have been to a few and know what to expect, it might be disappointing, it was to us.

Room Tip: Rooms back by the spa are quieter, and rooms on the side of building 8 get more all day sun. Did no...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Quiltb62
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back at Excellence Resorts. Your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations, although many travelers find Excellence Playa Mujeres to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Just ate at the Grill restaurant. My wife and I both had a wonderful experience. Our waiter, Angel was superb. The manager, Armando and our chef Misael were wonderful. We will definitely be back. Not too mention the special desserts prepared by our chef.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cortney Craig H
Chatham, New Jersey
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I have read nearly every review on this location... I knew what to expect and EPM exceeded our expectations. We decided to go to Cancun for our 5 year anniversary and it could not have been a better decision. The weather was exceptional all week (lucky us). Don't forget your marriage license if you're celebrating anni/honeymoon!

Arrival
Right when we arrived, we were greeted with a cool towel and champagne. The entrance to the hotel was beautiful and opened right to reception featuring a grand staircase, with the martini bar right in front of us. They took our bags and we only waited approximately ten minutes before Daniel escorted us to our rooms and gave us a brief tour and answering any questions we had.

The room
We got a junior swim up suite in building 7. Totally worth it! And steps from all the restaurants bars and main pool. We were feet from the lazy river pool with two lounge chairs and day bed on our patio. The room was immaculately clean. King sized bed, huge shower with rainfall shower head. I highly recommend requesting a pillow top mattress, apparently the beds are hard- I didn't wait to try them out and got a pillow top right away. Whirlpool looking out into the property which I only used a couple times, but loved. Some people complain about the privacy of the bathroom- I went with my boyfriend so we are not shy. Mini bar was stocked, which they come around daily to refill. The bar also features huge bottles of rum and tequila which we didn't use. But appreciated just in case. The bed was turned down every night with the occasional surprise ie. towel art, rose petals, and a large bouquet from concierge( concierge is conveniently located in every building which I used for requests, and making special reservations.)

The property
Very very clean. I am an early bird, so I observed them meticulously cleaning the lawns, bar areas and pool areas every day. Everyone is so so friendly always saying hello, but I will go more into the service later in the review. There are a few iguanas running around which is pretty cool too. They grounds I can not emphasize enough we're lush and maintained. Yes the beach has seaweed on it but we already knew about it, so didn't complain. There is a convenient store- but only buy something there if you absolutely can't live without it. Moving on...

Pool
We went to the pool every day. We just enjoyed the atmosphere there. A few tips- get there early if you want a good lounge chair. People reserve chairs as early as 630 am. I went at 7 every morning to get a chair to lay in all day. If you like sun, I suggest sitting directly across from the pool bar. Many people leave the chairs for meals, but always come back. You will see the same people daily- which is also how we met some awesome people on our trip. There is a bar in the pool which gets busy, but there is the sol bar where waiters and waitresses will brig drinks directly to your seat. We mostly did this ( don't forget to tip! Which I will also get into later). The blue pool lingers are also relaxing, so try to get one of those to float around it. Pool usually is busiest by 4 pm. We never lounged on the beach so I can't really review that- went in the water a few times but that was it. There is live music and poolside activities. We mostly did water volleyball and ping pong, which is also how we got to know the other guests.

Okay on to food- my favorite part. I wanted to try every restaurant but not enough time. Our favorites were spice, flavor market and chez Isabelle. The portions are not big- which as a dietitian I liked. You can always order more! When we got there we ate lunch (I had shrimp tacos-yum) overlooking the pool/ beach-a very relaxed place. We got room service for breakfast a few times which we enjoy edge ating on our patio, but then graduated to have different things at the grill and Toscana- a huge buffet which we also enjoyed. Toscana also has a small get your own coffee station which I got daily. Spice was very good- mostly noodle and curry dishes, the wait was long but we didn't mind. The flavor market boasts delish tapas and is open the latest- highly recommend the steak w blue cheese and chef tortilla special. Chez Isabelle was also an hour wait but had a great atmosphere, highly recommend making a reservation in the wine cellar- you must spend 100 $ in wine to do this. Worth it. My least favorite restaurants were Barcelona and Toscana for dinner- mediocre compared to the others. Via friends we met, the lobster house is so so and very dark, they couldn't see what they were eating! Also heard basmati was worth a try. We also didn't go to agave since Mexican was available at all times, including a taco party and tex mex on the beach. We TIPPED at every meal...the service at all the restaurants is great, but when you tip the service is above and beyond. they deserve it. Since it's as our anniversary we did the dinner on the beach one night- 200 $, you get to choose between 4 menus. The beach is windy but amazing. There is a photo session, mini sax performance and again exceptional service.

Bars
I'm not a big drinker but we did enjoy the bars. Mostly spent time around the pool bars having coronas, icebergs and vacation only fruity drinks. All were good, if you like them stronger ask for "double" highly suggest doing the coco loco cocktail class- you will be guaranteed the famous monkey drink- delicious. Our other favorite was the martini bar in the lobby. Hail Caesar the bartender there- wish we could have taken him home. Very fast friendly and will remember you regardless. Tip him handsomely. The martini bar is great while waiting for long wait restaurants. The kafekafe bar is also good ( shout to Antonio over there), with live music at night...look to watch Gustavo play. The last night we did hookah, an extra 25$ if you are interested. Disliked AllegriA night club, went in for 10 seconds and left. Too loud and it smelled weird.

Spa
We got the couples massage on the beach- I highly recommend. Nothing like getting a massage with the waves as your soundtrack. So relaxing, although you can hear some pool music. We ended with champagne, it was awesome. Then walked back, and rescheduled our included hydrotherapy session which includes the sauna, steam room, Mexican shower and high powered jets.

Other
We didn't do any excursions since we enjoyed just lounging and staying on the property, however avoid straying from excellence led trips- you will be disappointed. That was one thing I was warned of. We also did not see much of the shows. We did see the Michael Jackson show, it's pretty good.
There is a gym which a lot of people used in the early morning and there are fitness classes- I never went so I can't say although it was popular. There are tennis courts, however it was either too hot to play ( rackets provided, also cold towels/water) or Mosquitos at night. Bring bug repellent just in case.

Departure
Grabbed coffee and breakfast at Toscana then headed out. I felt sad to leave, but the departure was simple and the best it could have been.

We cannot put in to words how excited we are to plan our next trip to EPM. We just got home from our trip and I could not wait to right this review...enjoy!

Room Tip: We were in room 7004- swim up suite. Great proximity to pool, restaurants and bars.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Brittney P
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, and for recommending us with all Trip Advisor readers.

We are more than pleased to hear that your experience with us was nothing short of extraordinary. We will ensure that your amiable comments reach the eyes and ears of all our staff at Excellence Playa Mujeres. It means so much more when it comes from the opinion of our valued guests.

We look forward to having the opportunity to receive you on your next Caribbean holiday and to make your stay with us a pleasant one.
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed here in early January for one week. We had stayed, several years ago at the Excellence in Punta Cana and had a good experience, so we decided to try this resort. Overall, I would say that we would recommend it. Our stay, however, did not get off to a good start and to some degree, we didn't really get what we paid for. We had booked, through a travel agent, a "club level", "ocean view" room. When we got there, we were brought to the regular front desk for check in. I knew something was wrong and produced the paperwork showing that we were supposed to be in a club level room. After some consultation by the front desk personnel we were told that, for some reason we weren't in the records as club level guests and that it would take a little time to get us a club level room. Eventually, we were brought to a room on a low floor, maybe one up from the bottom, in building 7. We can see, after entering the room, that due to the low level floor, we have a view of trees, not of the ocean. We then speak with someone at the club level concierge desk and are told that, indeed, this room is in the "category" of what we paid for and that this is all that is available now and they will get us another room for the next day. That night, we discover that our room is also near a stage with live music that blasts into the room, not allowing us to go to sleep until it's over. The next day we are moved to a quieter room in building 8, but it still has a view of only trees. We are told by concierge manager Dalel that, again, this is the best available room and she can check again tomorrow for " something that will make us happy." After having to repack and have everything moved once, we weren't about to do it again. So we just decided to stay in the non-view ocean view room. It was directly across from the office of the concierge for the floor, which made it easy to get help with whatever we needed. This definitely didn't make us happy customers.

So, how, you might ask, could you recommend the resort in spite of the room issue? The service here was simply the best, warmest and friendliest we have ever had at a resort. My wife had literally injured her foot several days before our trip. They got a wheelchair and had a bellman wheel my wife to the room and then let us use the wheelchair for the rest of the stay. Several times we called, and they sent someone to escort us to our destination. Other times, as I was wheeling my wife somewhere, we were a bit lost and asked a passing staff member for directions. Instead of just giving directions, the staff member, in every instance, dropped whatever they were doing and escorted us to our destination. The only exception to the accommodating service was with the room issue. For some reason, they had a very hard line about getting us a room with a view, or somehow compensating us for the lack of view.

As far as other factors go - We found the food to be adequate to good, nothing spectacular.
The beach is just OK , as others have said. But the service goes far in making up for other deficiencies!

Room Tip: If you are getting a club level room, avoid building 7. It's a little too close to the action a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!