“2013 review”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Okanagan, B.C.
“2013 review”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We had been to the Excellence in Punta Cana and had such a wonderful time we thought this one was going to be the same , not quite the same , we still had a great time with swimming in the Lazy River but found the excellence not as personal as Punta Cana , all concrete not much of a garden to walk through still all in all a great vacation

Room Tip: We had a swim up room , at the start it was a little hard getting in and out of the pool but we were...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank enlt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,091)
  • Korean first
Niagara Falls
Reviewed January 28, 2014

My wife and I have travelled to Mexico, Jamaica, and to the Dominican Republic, and this is by far our favorite resort. The grounds, beach, and pools were beautifully maintained. There were always extra towels available and the bars were never far apart. Our room was a standard junior suite, and despite the somewhat funky setup of the bathroom the room was well laid out and comfortable. There was plenty of drawer and closet space, so we could empty out our suitcases and put them away for the week.
We ate at most of the restaurants, and I can't say we had a bad meal anywhere. We did however love the Lobster House for breakfast, and the French Restaurant was our favorite in the evening. They do enforce the dress code, so make sure you (men) have long pants, and shirts with sleeves.
The strongest asset of this resort is the staff. We felt that they were our friends and genuinely enjoyed their jobs. We've been to many places where the staff merely went through the motions of their jobs, but not here. We were sad to go and received warm hugs from a few of the employees because we were leaving.
This is definitely a place we want to return.
p.s. Pamela, we miss you already.

6 Thank Woody2NiagaraFalls
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We traveled to Excellence 1/18-1/25. We have never stayed at an excellence resort previously however have traveled extensively. This I will say is first class. We will definitely be back!

Arrival is easy. We hired Entertainment Plus/USA Transfers to take us to and from the airport. The were effect getting from point A to point B. See other review on them.

Check in was smooth. We were greeted with cold wash cloth, champagne etc. The normal things. We were booked as Excellence Club and quickly whisked away for a private check in. It was nice to get a mini tour on the way to our room. We were in building 9, room 9255. Building 9 was wonderful as it was the quietest of them all. We had a beautiful ocean view however in the future I would request higher than 2nd floor. We had a huge palm tree right in front of the patio. Not really a big deal and nothing to complain about would good to know for next time.

Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Housekeeping is twice a day with turn down service. If something is not to your liking you just need to ask. The beds are a bit hard however you just need to ask for a mattress topper and we asked for new pillows and they magically appeared! If you don't like the choices of liquor in your mini bar, just ask! Being upgraded to Club rooms is worth every penny of it!

Pools are great. We only really went in the Club pools. Pool near building 9 does not have sun after 1 pm so everyone goes to the Club pool near building 8 however we were always able to get a seat. The main pool has a lot of towel reserving going on and is much more the party scene. Lazy river always has open chairs as does the beach.

We spent four hours at the spa and they do a wonderful job! My husband and I did the Humanities treatment. It was quite different but so relaxing! Martha and Leidy were fabulous and made sure we had a great time.

The restuarants were mostly very good. Breakfast at the Lobster House was a nice option to order off of the menu instead of the buffet however the buffet was always really good. Lunch options were good. The Lobster House was order off the menu and was good. The buffet was good however you must try the wood fired pizzas. They are wonderful! Or you can order something and have it brought to the pool. Room service is wonderful too! Very quick! Dinners were fabulous for the most part. It is nice there is no buffet for dinner and no reservations. French was our favorite. Hibachi was good and much fun. Indian was good but not our tastes. We let Oscar order for us and he did fabulous! We just are not big fans of that cuisine. Mexican was good too. Wonderful Margaritas! The lobster house was just ok. I was not a fan and there were shells in my dish etc but not enough to complain about. Service at all restaurants in great. They really go out of the way on service. At the Mexican and Lobster House the waiter seemed to get a bit too busy for proper service however that is really not their fault. In a whole week we only had poor service on our last morning at the breakfast buffet where the waiter just did not want to be there. That is pretty great odds for fabulous service.

Make sure to stop for a drink in the Martini bar before dinner and let Cesar serve you up a cocktail. He is an awesome mixologist! Don't even bother to look at the menu. Just tell him to surprise you. His drinks are fabulous and follow his advice "Just do it!" Thanks Cesar!

Entertainment is definitely a step up from most all inclusives. They definitely go that extra and it shows in their talented staff. We enjoyed the different entertainment options the flowed smoothly at night. The wait staff by the entertainment did a fabulous job keeping up with the rotating crowds.

I won't expound on the beach too much as it is what it is. The lands are not developed around and they do receive their fair share of sea weed. You can still go for a nice walk, it just is not weed free. It think as the area developed (which it is) the resorts will start keeping on top of the seaweed issue.

If you are in the Excellence Club make sure to visit the Excellence Club Lounge. Coffee maker is to die for, they have a nice quiet bar with the highest end liquor, snacks, computer, etc as well as wonderful staff that are genuinely happy and will do anything for you!

Need to make a special mention of Paul. Take a minute to get to know Paul. He is the Concierge at the Excellence Pool by building 8. He is just phenomenal! Excellence should put Paul in charge of the Customer Service training for their resort. He really takes the time to get to know all of the guests. He truly cares about who you are and that you have a wonderful stay. Paul even went so far as to go to the French Restaurant and arrange a romantic dinner for us complete with rose petals on the table for our last night. He just truly cares and is an amazing genuine person. Thanks so much Paul!!!! Also, David at that same pool serves some fabulous drinks!!!

We took the ferry over to the Island on Day. It is an easy trip that you can do on your own. Nice to walk around the town.

We had a fabulous time and will definitely be back. We look forward to trying the other Excellence properties as well.

6 Thank Mrsmmz
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Playa Mujeres exceeded your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

We were pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities, and enjoyable food in our restaurants. It was also a delight to see you enjoyed our evening entertainment. Allow us to confirm that Oscar, Cesar, Paul and David will be congratulated for the excellent service provided.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
Bay Shore, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was our first trip to Cancun and Excellence. We were told by our travel agent how wonderful Excellence was and decided to give it a shot. To say I was nervous, after reading all the reviews, would be an understatement. I emailed prior to our trip because it was our anniversary (but not within the allotted 4 day window to get the anniversary package). I received an email back within a day (and a month before our trip) and Vilma, the concierge, was wonderful. I brought all the necessary documentation (marriage license as told) and had not a single problem.
Our room was FANTASTIC! The pools were beautiful. Yes, there is a temperature difference in the pools (pool bar pool much warmer) but nothing I found worthy of complaining.
Each and every person we encountered was more than helpful and not once did I feel obligated to tip. I felt tips were appreciated, not mandatory.
My favorite meal was breakfast at Toscana. We did not try every restaurant, but all the ones we tried (Spice, Agave, Chez Isabelle and Flavor Market) were delicious. The pizzas by the beach were good as were the lunches on the beach (burgers on the beach and sandwiches, different days different options on the beach)
We didn't see much of the entertainment, but what we did see was good. You can want for nothing while there. There is as much entertainment or as little as you want. Our room was in building 7 (fairly close to everything) and we were not bothered by any noises at night. The waiters, bartenders, concierges and bell service were available without hesitation. We did have to leave our room at checkout but were given another room (we had a late flight out) so we could still enjoy the pool and beach and other amenities and get ready to leave from a room rather than a public bathroom.
Both my husband and I would return in a heartbeat!!!!!! Thank you Excellence for a wonderful 10 year anniversary!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the mattress topper. Swim up suites aren't private.
10 Thank Kjk21504
Ottawa
Reviewed January 27, 2014

There is no better endorsement than a return visit. Last April we thoroughly enjoyed the week we spent at Playa Mujeres. We are seasoned Caribbean all inclusive - all adult resort travelers, and although we have stayed at many wonderful resorts we have chosen to return to Playa Mujeres. This year we will celebrate a special anniversary with a two week stay and the added luxury of the roof top terrace.
On our last visit we enjoyed the luxurious rooms, and great food at the restaurants, the beautiful beach with plenty of room for walks and drifting away the afternoon on the lazy river. We had lots of fun at the pool in the afternoon and I loved the evening entertainment around the outdoor square. The service at this resort was always impeccable.
We are looking forward to once again seeing Wilbert, Cesar and Hugo again and experiencing the pampering that is an Excellence trademark!
See you soon in April

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JulieandAlex
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We traveled to EPM for the first time 1/16-1/23. To give some background, this is our 3rd AI. Went to Gran Bahia Pricipe Ambar in DR 2 years ago and Live Aqua last year. We travel to Vegas 2-3 times a year and have stayed everywhere from the Trop to Bellagio.

Before going, I read hundreds of reviews, looked at hundreds of pictures and watched numerous videos. I was afraid I set my bar too high based on everything I read. But I didn't. In short, it was an wonderful trip. By far the best of the 3 AIs we've done. We always said that we'd never visit the same AI twice since there are so many out there but I think that is forever changed. Both of the other AIs we went to were really nice but had (for us) glaring problems that would prevent us from going back. Couldn't find any of those problems here. If you're like me, you keep reading reviews if you're planning a trip. This will be a long and comprehensive review broken into sections. I will list a few minor annoyances. Honestly, there was no problem that deserves special mention but I'll list them for the sake of a thorough review. In short, excellent service, food and drink. Grounds beautiful. At the end, I'll list a short list of "Things you should know" if you don't feel like reading my novella. Now for my long winded version:

Arrival: You're greeted with a glass of champagne, cold towels and "Welcome home." An immediate sense of comfort and relaxation came over us. Check in was fast and professional. We got there at 11 so room wasn't ready. They gave us a beeper and a map of the resort and off we went. Around 2, the beeper went off so we went back. I could tell there was a problem. I saw several people looking at the computer with quite a bit of discussion. We had booked a swim out room and I knew we weren't getting one. I didn't care. We had been up since 1am, drinking since 11 and needed a nap. I didn't care if they put us in a broom closet. After a short while, they called us up and informed us we were upgraded to a RTT due to no swim up rooms being available. A wonderful surprise. We were escorted to our room where the bellman gave us a tour of the resort and our room.

Room: Large, clean and nice. I read a lot of debate about the bathrooms. By now, you should know that there is no wall between the BR and the living area. I knew this going in but was surprised at exactly how open it was. If you are skittish in the BR, you may want to look somewhere else. When possible, we gave each other privacy by going out on the balcony. Wasn't a must do and there were times it wasn't possible. The biggest problem with it was at night. It was really tough not to disturb your partner when turning on lights. A very minor problem but thought I'd throw it in. So, in summary, know that any sounds you make in the BR can be heard any place in the room. Also, I heard a lot about the hard beds so emailed the resort and requested a mattress topper before we got there which made the bed very comfortable. The pillows are small. I guess there's more options but they were fine for us.

As mentioned, we were upgraded to a RTT. Before going, I didn't think there would be much use for a pool in the room but I was wrong. It. Was. Awesome. The pool was a bit chilly but they would come and heat it up for you if you wanted.

My GF wanted me to mention a couple of things for the ladies regarding the BR. She said that anyone in the 5'5" range or shorter may have trouble seeing adequately to get ready. The mirrors are kind of small and high up. She's 5'10" and her face was dead center in the mirror. There is a full length mirror in the main area that one could pull a chair up to if necessary (and apparently provides better lighting for makeup...haha). I would recommend you bring a short extension cord for any curling irons or what not if you plan on using this technique. I remember reading some reviews from shorter women who had to use the small makeup mirror to get ready.

Service: Top notch as advertised. There were hiccups in a week stay. But to us, that is to be expected. It's a huge resort and not everything is going to be perfect every time but the staff work hard. If something isn't right, they'll fix it. The only minor annoyance regarding service was the late housekeeping. We asked that they come earlier a couple of times but they tended to show up around 4 when we were getting ready to go out for the night (this is the only request we made that wasn't granted). This was probably the biggest problem on the trip (which is a trivial problem so do you see what I'm getting at?) I read some things about EC members being treated far better than non-EC. We were non EC and noticed absolutely 0 preferential treatment in the common areas. I also read some people say that staff "expect tips". There were times I would go in my pocket for a tip and when I looked up, the staff was gone so not sure about that one either.

Food: I saw a lot of reviews that said it was good for an AI. But the food was excellent. Period. I love food. There's a group of my buddies--we take pictures of food and send it to each other, rate it on a scale of 0-10 from the bread to the fries to the main course. As mentioned, I go to Vegas a lot where the food is outstanding. We ate at Agave (twice), Chez Isabelle, Lobster house (lunch), the Grill, Toscana (breakfast buffet and dinner) and Flavor Market. Each offers a unique dining experience and atmosphere. We got room service 3 times. Twice for breakfast which we thought was so-so. The buffet is MUCH better in our opinion. Had room service for dinner one night which was very good. I read a lot about waits. We ate at 6-6:15 every night and didn't wait for a table one time. We're early eaters at home so that worked out great for us.

Grounds: Beautiful, immaculate, breathtaking, stunning. Things are spread out but not too much. It was about a 5 minute walk to get to the main area which we really enjoyed. The grounds are so beautiful that sometimes we'd just walk them during the day just to look at it.

Beach: You should know by now that this is not the nicest beach in Mexico. The sand is soft and it is well kept but there is seaweed that builds up on shore. There were times you barely noticed it and times where there were big piles. They tried really hard to keep it cleaned up but weren't always able to. We're not beach people so this was no problem for us. If you're main goal is to lay on the beach and swim in the ocean, there are probably better options out there for you. With that being said, it was a beach in Mexico and we thought it was beautiful. Las Olas (a little restaurant on the beach) had daily activities with live music and different themes of food. Was really nice.

Pools: A lot of em. We normally spend our days near the swim up bar at an AI. At this resort, we found the scene there a bit noisy and partyish. But no problem. We would go to one of the quieter pools where there was drink service and food available. We could still hear the activity at the main pool but weren't all up in it. If you wanted to be completely away from it, you could go by a pool closer to the spa which was very quiet. Palapas were everywhere and we never had a problem getting a shady spot (went down at 11 and 1 on 2 days). The "prime" locations near the swim up bar and ocean fell victim to the ever obnoxious towel game but if you're not picky, there's always a spot. The outer pools are not heated and a bit chilly. The main pool was heated and if I wanted to swim, I'd just take a short walk to the heated pools. There were times it took a bit to get a drink by the pool which I saw some comments about. But you can't throw a rock without hitting a bar at this place and if I wanted a drink, I'd just go get one. 0 problem for us.

Drinks: Far and away the best drinks I've had at an AI. There were times they were a bit too stiff and I didn't finish them because I didn't want to get hammered. In the evening, we would go to the martini bar around 4:30 and have some drinks. I tried something new everyday. Cesar (the bartender EVERYONE mentions at the martini bar) would make me something different all the time. I'd name an ingredient and he'd whip something up. They serve flaming coffee in the evening as well as the restaurants which is a must try. Top shelf liquor is readily available. I was never told they were out of something.

Entertainment: We only saw one "late" main theme show. At the Café Kafe, they would have live bands starting around 7 that we would go watch after eating. Didn't have much interest in the Madonna or Michael Jackson type shows. but they're there if you want it. There was always someone playing saxophone in the martini bar at night as well as the breakfast buffet. Live bands would be on the beach during the day and play at the lobster house in the afternoon. We LOVE live music. I played saxophone for a time so loved that touch. It seemed like everywhere you went, someone was playing an instrument. Just loved that. In addition, there were activities for the "doers" of the world all day. Bike rides, ping pong tournaments, beach volleyball, water aerobics, air rifles, yoga. You could be as busy or as lazy as you wanted.

Spa: So I had my first spa experience. I'm a pretty "normal" guy that likes beer, football and fishing. So I felt a little silly walking around in a robe and slippers when I went for my first massage. The spa was beautiful, relaxing and fun. A tad pricey but worth it. I would recommend it for anyone. Hydrotherapy was a neat experience too. If you're a man who is thinking to yourself, "I'm not going to a spa!", I strongly suggest you reconsider.

Excursions: We went to Isla Mujeres which is a small island that you can see from the resort. It's about a 15 minute cab ride (we paid $15 each way) to the marina. From there, I would recommend the Ultramar ferry (20 minute ride). There are a ton of little shops and restaurants. Additionally, you can rent a golf cart and explore the island. I came up with the idea of going there late so I didn't really research it. I would spend time doing some research before going over to get the full experience. I also went deep sea fishing which was a lot of fun. I booked through one of the vendors behind the stairs by the martini bar. Drove for over an hour which confused me since there was a port you could see from the resort. I would check with the concierge if you want to do any activities as well.

Things to Know:
-IF SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT, ASK! That's the single best piece of advice I got and will pass on.
-The resort is north of Cancun so any excursions will have a little longer ride. Just FYI.
-You can haggle at the jewelry shop on the grounds if you're paying in cash
-Get flaming coffee sometime in your trip
-Don Julio tamarind margaritas at Agave are to die for
-Email ahead of time for a mattress topper if you don't like hard beds. It'll be there.
-If you're out of beer, call room service for a bucket of your choice and a plate of limes
-If you're getting up early for an excursion, place your room service order the night before
-Review the list of activities that are under your door every night
-Walk the grounds at random times throughout your stay. You'll always find little hidden gems here and there

Whew. I guess that's it. My hands hurt. I just felt this resort deserved a proper review. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.

Room Tip: Look at the map of the resort. Buildings near the main pool will be noisier during the day. Rooms...
44 Thank WallEye1018
Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us.

We were pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodation & amenities, and enjoyable food in our restaurants. It was a delight to see you enjoyed our live music entertainment and experienced relaxing moments at our spa facilities.

At Excellence Playa Mujeres we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction. Comments like yours have always been of great assistance in fulfilling this mission.

We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.
London, Canada
Reviewed January 27, 2014

It was a super week for my wife and I and two other couples. It's hard to pick a highlight when all the rooms, the food, the entertainment, the ambiance are superior to all other five start resorts we have visited. But we do however have a highlight, it's the staff. They are genuinely the happiest, most helpful folks you can find. Two bar tenders however top all: Cesar at the helm at the Martini bar, and Eduardo at the swim-up bar. Geez, we're going to miss those guys..........
There is one addition that the Excellence could and should do to take the resort to yet another level: Heat all the pools. We did have one cool, cloudy day, and the pool was virtually empty. Come on management, finish our wish list please!
That said, we'll be back!
Danski13

Room Tip: Chose building one if you want to be close to the restaurants.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 180 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,376 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!