We are fortunate to be able to take a lot of vacations and we stayed at Excellence and one other top 10 Cancun hotels on this trip. We stayed at two different Cancun hotels this week because we enjoy variety, and the other was better in several ways.
Service at both was excellent, as it is at many Cancun hotels, and I doubt that it is better than the other top 10 hotels. However, that is the type of service that we expect and enjoy when we come to Cancun.
There are two important areas where they are not in the top 5 and possibly not even the top 10 in the Cancun area. The first is the food. Although everything was good, I have found clearly better food at other Cancun hotels. For example, there was fruit at breakfast, but the pineapple was canned, which was surprising and disappointing, since pineapple is readily available at other hotels here (we had fresh pineapple every day earlier in the week at the other hotel). Also, the area for fresh fruit was small, and therefore crowded. Also, there is only one chef making french toast and crepes and we had to wait for several people before us to get our turn. The other hotel also had a more creative executive chef and the food was simply more interesting, and it was easier to try lots of small bites of more things, which we like.
The second problem is the internet. If you need a reliable internet connection, then I recommend going elsewhere. Most of the time, I could not get a connection in the room. They said that this was a common problem and that I should try the patio. There, I was sometimes able to connect, but other times I had to go to the lobby, which is inconvenient. I tried 2 laptops and an iPad and all had problems.
The beach has no surf because it is protected by the Isla Mujeres.
However, this is good if you like to use the free small sail boats. If you like surf, go to the Cancun hotel district. The beach at Excellence also had a lot of seaweed, unlike the other hotel.
The grounds are very well landscaped.
None of the pools was heated. The other hotel had one heated pool, in addition to its other pools, which was nice in January.
I would return to the other hotel because it had significantly better food and a reliable internet, but for these reasons, I would not come back to Excellence. They also could not figure out how to stop the A/c in our room, which was 65 degrees when we arrived, and never above 70 during our stay, despite sending four different repair people.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury adults-only resort nestled among seven swimming pools on a powdery white sand beach, in a community that boasts a spectacular Greg Norman signature golf course. This jewel of Cancun sets a new standard of luxury for all-inclusives with finely tuned amenities such as one-of-a-kind accommodations including two-story rooftop terrace suites with a private Plunge pool, meticulous service, gourmet cuisine, an exquisite spa and the signature Excellence Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Savannahville Tours N.V., BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Travelocity, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Excellence Playa Mujeres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Excellence Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Playa Mujeres Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Cancun