“Top 10, but probably not top 5 in Cancun. Bad internet.”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We are fortunate to be able to take a lot of vacations and we stayed at Excellence and one other top 10 Cancun hotels on this trip. We stayed at two different Cancun hotels this week because we enjoy variety, and the other was better in several ways.
Service at both was excellent, as it is at many Cancun hotels, and I doubt that it is better than the other top 10 hotels. However, that is the type of service that we expect and enjoy when we come to Cancun.
There are two important areas where they are not in the top 5 and possibly not even the top 10 in the Cancun area. The first is the food. Although everything was good, I have found clearly better food at other Cancun hotels. For example, there was fruit at breakfast, but the pineapple was canned, which was surprising and disappointing, since pineapple is readily available at other hotels here (we had fresh pineapple every day earlier in the week at the other hotel). Also, the area for fresh fruit was small, and therefore crowded. Also, there is only one chef making french toast and crepes and we had to wait for several people before us to get our turn. The other hotel also had a more creative executive chef and the food was simply more interesting, and it was easier to try lots of small bites of more things, which we like.
The second problem is the internet. If you need a reliable internet connection, then I recommend going elsewhere. Most of the time, I could not get a connection in the room. They said that this was a common problem and that I should try the patio. There, I was sometimes able to connect, but other times I had to go to the lobby, which is inconvenient. I tried 2 laptops and an iPad and all had problems.
The beach has no surf because it is protected by the Isla Mujeres.
However, this is good if you like to use the free small sail boats. If you like surf, go to the Cancun hotel district. The beach at Excellence also had a lot of seaweed, unlike the other hotel.
The grounds are very well landscaped.
None of the pools was heated. The other hotel had one heated pool, in addition to its other pools, which was nice in January.
I would return to the other hotel because it had significantly better food and a reliable internet, but for these reasons, I would not come back to Excellence. They also could not figure out how to stop the A/c in our room, which was 65 degrees when we arrived, and never above 70 during our stay, despite sending four different repair people.

Room Tip: If you need the internet, go elsewhere.
9  Thank Al B
Write a ReviewReviews (12,494)

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

The staff was very accommodating. Everything was great, my only complaint is that since the weather wasn't the best the outdoor restaurants weren't available as they were listed on the daily activities log which is understandable but the restaurants that were listed to replace them were either closed or closed early. This left us without a place to eat for a few nights, but thank goodness for room service which was included.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We began our trip on Saturday Jan 11th 2014 and ended it just yesterday on Saturday the 18th. The trip was filled with amazing experiences, but nothing more profound that the people that make the excellence what it is. We absolutely loved Juliana, serving us the finest cocktails all week long and always keeping the conversation light, humerous and bubbly. She is truly a diamond and represents the Excellence name in every attitude and energy she puts ito making sure our vacation was special. We also have to mention Cesar and Hugo - by far the fastest bar tenders in the world! Always smiling, always one step ahead of you and bringing special new creations your way to help you enjoy that moment in time. In addition we want to thank Adrian for his tireless effort to ensure the entertainment from beach volleyball, to water sports, to mexican night and all the wonderful evening entertainers that sang for us, danced like MJ or moved like Madona. Adrian, great job and thankyou. To pull this team together, a great leader in Virginia needs to be recognized. Thankyou for taking the time to stop, listen and make our experience unique for us. Your team is amazing, from the special people that touched us above to the young men moving chairs, tables, tearing down props or testing the water. Everyone of these people consistantly took the time to look you in the eye when passing, smile and say Ola! I was taken back how each bush never had a leaf that was dead on it - in fact I watched one worker plucking the dead ones, and raking every bit of debris to keep the beauty of Flora and Fauna which makes up the grounds as perfect today as it was yesterday and tomorrow.

It is hard to move away from talking about the people, but understand a visit to excellence will give you an experience of service that is 5star in every way. Food is a factor, one that makes or breaks a special getaway. The food was again an experience to remember. For me, it will be the beef Tenderloine at the Barcelona restaurant. Perfectly prepared, smothered in a sauce that melts in your mouth and then placed on a bed of sweet potato. I always wondered what they meant by your taste buds "popping" when a special blend of flavour, texture, tenderness and scent all come together. Truly and 11 out of 10 in my books. I eat out alot in my work and we celebrated that experience with desert - another beef tenderloine meal that my wife could experience. There is little to point fingers at in terms of food, as everything I ate was spectacular. There are plenty of restaurants and although some were closed on certain nights, a short wait always guaranteed you could experience each place during your trip.

The layour of the facility is a fantastic blend of gorgeous caribbean plants. Spotted with sculptures and rock you will likely see several eguana's warming in the morning sun. The lazy river system gives everyone an opportunity to relax and hide away in any one of the hundreds of sheltered queen beds, sun chairs or water chairs. Not to mention the hot tubs that seem to be everywhere. Multiple smaller pools and optional upgrades to excellence club for added benefits made our experience very special. You were never lost for options and we simply ran out of time before we could experience all there was to offer at excellence Playa Mujeres.

We have been to mexico several times, but when you add up everything that makes Excellence what it is, this was our most amazing expereince. Everyone has a special flavour, and a special moment, but excellence PM will fill all those needs in one resort - truly an opulant, eligant and special place to share time with loved ones.

Darren & Kelly - Saskatoon, Sask. Canada

Room Tip: Block 7B or 8 gives you the best day long sun for those worshippers out there. These pools are smal...
9  Thank yogii8622
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Amazing resort with 5 star grounds, immaculate gardens and pools. The choice for meals were extensive and there was something to suit everyone. Service was a bit hit and miss but we figured the people of Cancun work on island time even though it is not one! Staff were super friendly and some would really go out if their way to make your stay awesome. A memorable resort and would definitely stay there again. A tip would be to definitely upgrade to the excellence club rooms. You get VIP service from the world go with a special concierge designated to club residents. The club residents also have a separate area on the beach designated to them which ensures deck chairs, beds and 4 poster beds for the day. We also thought that the cocktails served in club areas were far tastier with top shelf alcohol so another great reason to upgrade.

2  Thank SweetAzNZ
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I have been to Mexico, specifically the Cancun/Riveria Maya area, several times in the past and knew I wanted to return to the area for my wedding. After much research I took a gamble and booked my wedding at the EPM without seeing it prior to my big day and I can't begin to comment on how wonderful everything was. My wedding was in October of this past year and my husband and I had 60 of our closest friends and families also stay at the EPM with us, and everyone keeps talking about how great their trip was. The resort was very clean, the staff was super accommodating and friendly, there were many restaurant choices in which you did not need to make reservations for (unlike many other resorts in cancun), the pools were clean and still very warm in October, drinks were easy to get, you did not need wristbands (unlike some other high end resorts in Cancun), each room was fully stocked with drinks/snacks, the resort was at full occupancy during our stay but it never felt crowded, and getting pool/beach chairs was easy, you could order poolside food although most of my guests enjoyed the oven pizza, and the wedding coordinator, Llenny, was super wonderful to work with. Everything that we had planned over email prior to our wedding was all set when we arrived in Mexico. My husband and I along with our guests all hope to return to the EPM one day for another amazing vacation. I would recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Victoria L
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Everything has already been said about this resort, we had a wonderful trip. Beautiful grounds, relatively quiet, good food, nice rooms, kind staff. We were 8 and had no problem seating together at dinner except for 1-2 restaurants, but we had to dine early for that. The golf course is nice will some real crocodiles that you have to be careful of, and the path to the golf course is beautiful for running.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Isa_R_Montreal
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Let start by saying my girlfriend and I love Mexico, we travel there every year. We count on and read reviews from trip advisor. We felt really let down by the glowing reviews this property receives. There are way too many inconsistencies to make this resort so highly rated.
First the good-alcoholic beverage selection, cleanliness of rooms and resort cleanliness in general, a few restaurants were great (spice, chez Isabella and the buffet restaurant). In addition I should mention the management staff did a reasonable job of trying to correct a few major complaints I had.
The bad- their no reservation policy, all this means is if you don't show up for dinner by 7pm you are given a pager and wait an average of an hour for a table. If you want examples of how to run this system properly check out Secrets resorts.
The ugly- expect problems getting in to your rooms regularly. The 'magnetic' keys de-magnetize so easily. We had this happen five times, completely unacceptable, especially after we complained after the second time. Another major problem is the inconsistency in the service. We had bartenders that were exceptional and others that would not give you the time of day unless you had US dollar in your hand. I really have to point out how poor things were at the lobster house, the hostess was completely overwhelmed and the waiter was rude.

We overall had a good time but this is not an example of Cancun style five star resorts. I can't understand it's high rating. I probably won't go back.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to the roof top terrace rooms go for it. The balconies are truly beautiful
3  Thank Jeremy807
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is our regret that we were not able to exceed your expectations, although many travelers find Excellence Playa Mujeres to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the info you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
#1 of 176 in Cancun
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort & Spa
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!