“Best we have ever done.....Jamie713”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Best we have ever done.....Jamie713”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We have been coming to EPM since the week it opened. December 2013 was our 4th time and as usual it excelled. My wife loves the rooms and service. The food is wonderful, especially at the Agave and Toscanna (breakfast). The beach is very nice except if you walk north where the neighboring beaches aren't as well kept. The workout facility is nice also. Edgar at the Agave and Lisa at the Toscanna were marvelous. It is better for couples instead of family unless everyone has a mate as the environment lends itself to couples (which we like).
We have stayed at a number of resorts in the past but this is the best. Our youngest son and his girlfriend are actually considering EPM to get married at. We will be back in September 2014.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jamie T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,054)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed at Excellence Playa Mujeres December 16-23 and all I can say is WOW We had a swim up room in Excellence club 7b which is a great location. Service was top notch all the way around. At check in we had a slight mix up with our room category which was quickly fixed by Claudia. She was extremely professional and helpful. David at the excellence club bar deserves a great shout out!

Our favorite restaurant was Basmati. Luis was our waiter and was exceptional. We returned later in the week for my Birthday dinner and requested Luis again. He made the evening special and we also ordered a bottle of wine, which Martin was of great assistance.

We also enjoyed Guerrelmo (sp) at the Grill He made dining there pleasurable. At Gloria at Toscana breakfast has the most inviting smile.

We did do a spa day and Jose in the aqua therapy is superb. We did a second day with Jose just because he and the aqua therapy are not to be missed. Our treatments were done my Tiffany and Fortunada who were excellence massage therapists.

We did meet several managers at the managers cocktail reception including Virigina. I must say that the professionalism is completely top notch and they are always trying to find small ways to improve.

We would definitely return to EMP in the future. I would also recommend a day trip to Isla Mujeres.

3 Thank jbst5
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Excellence Playa Mujeres is for people who aren't picky eaters, like to drink a lot of alcohol, and who enjoy semi-pro musical party type entertainment. That's not us and we won't be back. For the amount of money we spent, I could have gone someplace much, much nicer, even outside of Mexico, for about the same amount money. I also wish the place would have been a bit more gay friendly. Although there was never an incident or rude look, we just didn't fit in as well. I regret spending my pink dollars, not only for the questionable value, but for not really being able to mix in and mingle with the rest of the resort clientele. Overall, I'll give this resort a three. I think two is a bit low because the buildings and grounds really are beautiful, but I just can't give this expensive resort a four that didn't deliver.

Pros
- The rooms are very nice. I didn't have a problem with the open layout of the bathroom as some reviewers have had.
- The rooftop pool is a great bonus which helped save the trip.
- Housekeeping and room service were generally responsive and very nice.
- Some of the game areas - ping pong, pool, etc - are fun.

Cons
- It is not a relaxing or peaceful place because of the constant loud music throughout the grounds. This includes activities such as bingo and live entertainment as well as the usual daytime music. After the first night we asked to be moved from bldg 8 to bldg 3 because it was directly across from the theater and was unbearably loud until 11pm. Lesson learned: if you like their music selection and shows, this is not a con, otherwise too bad for you because there is no escaping the thuds.
- In general, the food just wasn't up to par and was hit or miss. Other reviewers pretty well discuss the best restaurants. As a rule, there is too much salt, sugar, and fat. The food tastes like pretty good institutional food. The coffee wasn't very good either.
- The room furniture is uncomfortable. The bed is quite hard and the couch just plain hurts. Funny thing is the outdoor lounge mattresses are fairly comfortable.
- The beach at the resort is poor in comparison to many other places in the Mexican Riviera. It often has excess seaweed/sea grass and is fairly small. I can't imagine attempting to snorkel. Palapas are in high demand. It would serve the resort well if they put more staff tending to cleaning the beach.
- The location is really too far away from the hotel zone. Normally, I would consider this a plus, but in this case, it was too far to go to a decent restaurant for dinner and get back before dark.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank 999Apricat
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for having chosen Excellence Playa Mujeres as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share this review with us.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Your comments are very important to us because give us the opportunity to know better about the aspects we need to work on in order to give the best service, the kind of service our guests deserve. Please rest assured that all the issues you have raised have been addressed and that appropriate corrective actions have been taken.

We truly hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

As a pseudo well versed traveler, I was quite picky as I planned my husband and my honeymoon. As a teenager and young adult I traveled with my parents and with friends to three US resorts, one all inclusive in Jamaica, one resort in at marten, and about 11 cruises. I attended my sisters Sandals Montego Bay wedding, and was quite disappointed. Our and her room did not seem to match the brochure images, and although the grounds were impeccable, the room was at best a 2/5, the service was ok, and the restaurants were impossible to get into. I vowed that would not be my own honeymoon. I scoured the internet, brochures, and trip advisor for locations. I quickly found that looking at traveler pics, rooms and resorts did not always match the beauty offered in the brochure. I finally found Excellence Punta Cana, and was enthrall with what I saw and read, but reviews kept mentioning better excellence at playa Mujeres. Once I researched it, I was hooked.
We planned a 7 night stay, at Excellence Playa Mujeres in an excellence club, rooftop terrace suite. It was the best move we have ever made.
Lets start with the room. We had room 8453 and it was incredible. We could see the ocean, and also people watch down below, and it was super private on both our balcony (where we actually fell asleep the first night for three hours on the dual lounger), and on the rooftop terrace (where we could move around at will with no fear of neighbors seeing us). The hot tub was wonderful, the shower was huge, and I can not stress how incredible it is to see the Caribbean from ur own personal rooftop terrace. We had delicious room service for breakfast one day, where they serviced us on the balcony, we also had them service us on our rooftop terrace for lunch one day, and they brought us a midnight meal another night in our living room area another night. We did have to call room service once to pick up our dishes that were forgotten and ended up covered in ants in the xbox twice in the week, but they came immediately, and In their defense, we did order after maid service had already come. So we learned that best practice was to call room service to let them know we had finished eating and were ready for pick up. We had wonderful return guest neighbors the first few days. About halfway through, a couple moved in and immediately invited their entire group (8-10 people) to their room/ balcony to party, while I had been enjoying a nap on the balcony. After about 30-45 min I'd had enough and called the excellence club upset. They had the matter resolved, and the room quiet in about 10 minutes time. We didn't hear them again.
The excellence club. A coworker of mine who visited punta Cana location had told me to not waste mine time with excellence club. She'd said she didn't get it and never felt that she needed it, and was able to enjoy the amenities without. She was mistaken. We LOVED the excellence club. We tried the excellence club beach (which they did in fact kick out non club members constantly), non excellence club beach (which we left after an hour cuz it was t as enjoyable and no one came by with drinks regularly), the excellence pool, and the non excellence pool. The excellence beach was awesome because we would check in, choose where we wanted to sit (dual lounger bed in sun, dual lounger bed under tiki hut, separate loungers in. Sun with table, or separate loungers with table under tiki hut) and they would come make the lounger beds up for us with multiple towels. Sooooo comfortable. They also regularly cleaned the beds from the rain and gave u extra towels to stay dryer as needed. There was a constant flow of drink service that you did not get at the non club locations. (This was true in the pool areas as well). The only good think about the excellence pool is there was a live band near there a couple times and it had a more party atmosphere. Some reviews mentioned difficulty getting a lounger, we felt the frustration of this at the main pool, but never, not once, in the excellence club locations. Excellence club also gave you a beach bag which was nice to have, and the club room was nice when you wanted some snacks mid day. The rooms for excellence club are all closest to the beach and the good parts of the resort. We felt it was totally worth the extra and will def do the EC again.
The restaurants were awesome. Warning though, The burgers on the Beach and restaurant were a bit different than what you find in the US, but not terrible. There were 9 restaurants to choose from and we definitely didn't get to all of them. When we went to dinner right at 6, we always walked right in. When we waited until 7-8, there was anywhere from a 15 to 40 min wait tops, but the pagers work at the main martini bar and outside where they have evening entertainment, so time passed quickly. It was difficult to get a good reservation time for the hibachi ( the only thing requiring one), but it was worth it. Just three other couples were with us, and it was cool that they were all honeymooners married the same day as us. We were glad we hit hibachi early in the week , because we made some friends for the trip. The food was always pretty tasty, not always 5 star amazing quality, but definitely good enough that I was always happy after. One night I didn't care for the fish, so they brought me a filet within minutes. I liked there were so many restaurant options. My fav was the French, followed by the Asian cuisine one. (Which we went to twice- once for hibachi and once for regular meal). Our friends we met were Indian, and noted how impressed they were with the Indian restaurant. I was underwhelmed by the Mexican restaurant to be honest, but it was still a good meal. The lunches were cool. You could hit up the grill or lobster house (we never noticed any different menu there for bfast or lunch but did prefer bfast here in comparison to Toscana) but they also had the beach food open sometimes or the pizza bar. We had to look for those at bar olas and bar sol. Overall, we really enjoyed the food.
The service was fantastic. The employees were always willing to help in any manner. The guys and gals on the excellence beach and pool were always excellent. We never had to seek out a drink, and they fixed anything we were concerned about. Do take some tipping money. It's not expected but definitely deserved.
The entertainment was good. Not Broadway level haha but enjoyable and entertaining. It was nice to know there was so thing to see and do every night. I really liked the circus show and fire dancers. I was sad we missed the Michael Jackson show. I heard it was awesome.
Overall this was a great resort. There was very minimal bad and anything I could complain about was takencare of. (I.e. Mosquitos were bad one night and within the hour they fogged the grounds, the weather was rainy and the walkways were slippery but people were out squeegying the walks) I loved that we were close enough to cancun to enjoy the Mayan ruins, shopping if we'd wanted, and other excursions, but we were a decent lil drive away into the peace, quiet, and serenity that being away from that big strip has to offer. I would recommend this resort again and again to anyone , and my husband and I are already planning a trip back in a few years.

• Stayed September 2013
6 Thank Schmidtjl
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Well what can I say, this place is like heaven on earth. Last night was the gala dinner for New Years and if anyone is contemplating celebrating a high class event, EPM is the place to be. The food was delicious and the service was exceptional. Thank you to the many wonderful staff that truly make dreams come true.

If you are considering booking this resort, don't hesitate any more, just book it. Like us you will see how EPM's dedication to excellence delivers in all ways possible.

2 Thank buttylovers666
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

This was our fist time in Mexico, and I can't wait to get back to the Excellence resort, a place that was great as a couple but by the end of it we'd made a bunch of friends from around the world and if you went as a group, you can have just as much if not even more fun!

Details for context - we spent 11 nights, across 2 room types (6 pool access nights + 5 roof top pool nights), in mid Feb 2013, having not experienced 'All-Inclusive' before, having lived in Australia where that pretty much doesn't exist! And finally, I'm a frequent business traveller, 28 years old, work in advertising and have stayed in pretty much all the major 5 star hotel brands and also a number of super cool, boutique small hotels, from NYC to Cannes in France and across Asia.

What you get:
Great service, great staff, an amazingly beautiful resort, brilliant pools (some heated, some are not - that's a good thing in Mexico), great pool bar, fantastic quality/seriously good food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, tonnes of bar options/locations, great themed restaurants, unlimited everything 24/7 (apart from Lobster!), even the room service is all-inclusive so you can order a fillet of beef at 10am or 2am and they'll bring it right up, free of charge!

What you don't get:
Michelin Star type food, W Hotel type rooms, Vegas type entertainment. Unlimited Lobster (limited to 1 per person per meal).

Why you should love it:
You'll love Excellence because it's everything you need in a beach holiday, plus it's All-Inclusive. The pools are large, there are plenty of them and they are clean, the main having a swim up bar with great service. The beach water is clear and warm. The hotel is new-ish and in great shape, service is impeccable right from the front door to the person who gives you the 10 min tour of the facilities on the way to your room. The food is great, it's like your favourite local restaurant, its not Gordon Ramsay type gastronomy food, but everything you order will be fantastic. There are plenty of activities to keep you busy, or floatation devices if you don't want to move and just float around the pools. Beach BBQ's every day, bands playing by the main pool and a killer wood fired pizza oven cooking great pizza all day long. Rooms are fantastic, great bathrooms, modern designs, clean and spacious. Beds are good, but not high-end Four Seasons type beds/pillows, but unless you are a connoisseur, you'll have a good night sleep. It's expensive, but you won't pay a dollar once you arrive.

Why you wouldn't:
If you're after a W Hotel type rooom/design, this isn't your place, it's traditional, but very modern, it's not hipster cool or designer. It has good beds, but not in comparison to a W Hotel or Four Seasons (but you'll never get All-Inclusive at those hotels either!). If you want michelin star type food you also won't be happy, that's not because the food here isn't great (because it is!), it's because they are not into ultra modern - high end gastronomy food, so you won't find those flavours or presentation levels here. You also won't find mixologists here infusing ceader wood smoke into your cocktails or chipping perfect ice into a fine whiskey or pouring Cristal Champagne all night.

Travel Tips:
If you're in a pool access - try to get a room off the main building - a number of wings have private-ish pools that are super quiet and not linked to the main lagoons. These are not heated.

Room:
Modern, clean, comfortable, spacious, fully stocked mini-bar that's free, including full bottles of spirits and wine. Bed was good, but not great in comparison to other high-end hotels. The pool-access room was great, the drinks guys come past every 30 mins and deliver you another cocktail to your chair, and the ease of getting out to the pool/restaurants/bars is just a few steps away. Meanwhile, the roof top private pool room was great to just get some private time right away from everyone, with a great day bed, you could spend all day up there on the roof and just order room service to the pool. (I did this a lot!) Rooms are both exactly the same in all other aspects.

Resort Grounds:
Postcard type scenes, amazing pools, lagoons, gardens .etc Huge resort and you'll love it.

Food:
It's fantastic at all meals and all 10 or so restaurants/cafes/bars. Favourite place was the Indian. Absolutely brilliant. French place was really good. Italian was great. You can order and sample as many dishes as you like in every restaurant which is very cool. All restaurants are 3 course meals, a la carte menu, with good but not great wine. You can purchase higher-end wine if you like. You won't be upset with the quality of the food and you won't go hungry!

Drinks:
All you can drink. Good quality. They will pour as much as you like. Standard resort style cocktails/drinks .etc They do not make high-end custom drinks, just classics. But trust me, after you've had 5 free drinks by 11am. You won't wonder what else you could have had!

Activities/Shows:
Plenty of everything (volley ball, bike rides .etc). And the entertainment is fun, It's not Vegas quality, but if you're in holiday mode, you'll love it.

Service:
Great service. Great attention to detail. If you tip them $1 USD on your first drink at a bar each day, you'll have the same drink made and in your hand just as you finish the last sip of the current drink! But you don't need to tip. Same goes for laying around the pools, give them a tip and they'll continually bring you drinks and you'll never need to move!

Weather in Feb:
The weather was just getting hot, and by hot I mean the pools that were not heated were still a little cold, but the sun was beating down and you wanted to jump in a pool after 20 mins sun tanning. Almost zero rain. Light winds if any. Perfect conditions. Generally warm to hot.

Any Issues:
We did have one small issue, we had about $20 USD worth of Mexican notes that were removed from our room one day by the cleaners who thought it was a Tip, we reported it. The GM sorted it. Replaced the money and security there took it very seriously. Turns out if you leave cash on the table, they will see it as a TIP. So lock up your valuables in the safe just in case.

Overall:
This is a 5 star property, but if you are looking for the polish of a W hotel or Four Seasons, this isn't the place for you. If you're happy with the next step down, all the 5 star amenities, for $500 a night that includes everything you can eat and drink, along with the most amazing pools, fantastic grounds, great food and attentive service, in a location where you can do anything or nothing... then book it now!

Room Tip: If you like privacy, get a roof-top pool room as you can waste your days away laying on the day beds...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AdenHepburn
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Playa Mujeres exceeded your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to our resort facilities and atmosphere, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment, and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband, 20 year old son and I stayed at EPM for 7 days during Christmas week 2013. This was our forth Christmas in Mexico and found the Excellence to have very little reminders of this time of year. A couple of Christmas trees, Santa arriving on a Harley, nothing noticeably extra for dinners on any night in the restaurant. The last three resorts had very impressive Christmas Eve dinners.

Our arrival and check in around 3:00 was quick and both our rooms were ready. We had requested non EC Junior Suites in building 7 and that is what we got. We liked the location and didn't find night time noise to be a problem. The suites are lovely and we liked the daybeds on the balcony. As for the bathroom area, privacy was never an issue but trying not to disturb hubby with the lights on while I readied myself to leave the room in the early morning – leaving him to sleep, was tricky.

The resort is very nice. The beach is fine. Better than in PV but not as nice as in PDC area. We had some rainy and cloudy days so the tractor was out often trying to contain the sea grass along the beach shore. Waiter service at the beach was excellent. Pool areas are lovely and were crowded in some areas. I found the heated main pool to be too warm as I like to be refreshed when I go in a pool. There are a lot of Jacuzzi tubs available and the temperatures in each of them varied a lot day by day. We enjoyed the small pools around building 7 to finish off in the late afternoon after we left the beach.

The food was okay in the restaurants we dined in. The French was very good but the wait time was about 2 hours when we arrived at 6:30. We also ate at the Lobster House, Basmati, Barcelona and Agave. My husband and son ate at the Grill and had the Mexican Fiesta night dinner on the 2 evenings I was away in the hospital. I had wanted to try Spice but due to the food poisoning I got at EPM on our 5th day, I was unable to. The Dr suspected contaminated raw vegetable as the culprit but it is impossible to know for sure. My husband met another couple at the hospital with a similar condition from another 5 star resort, so I am not knocking my rating down because it can happen anywhere. I have been to Mexico over 15 times and had never gotten sick so it was just bad luck.

We enjoyed the live music that is offered each evening by the Martini Bar and outside by Café Kafe. We all really enjoyed the circus show – the performers were amazing.

Perhaps we are too casual of people for what EPM offers, but we missed having a small dinner buffet option, and our son was irked he couldn't wear a clean sleeveless t-shirt in the morning buffet while the ladies could go in showing a lot more skin.

I wished EPM had a 24 hour drink station other than in your room available. From 7:00 am at Toscana you could get self serve mimosas or Bloody Mary’s to tide you over until some bars opened after 9:00. I had a beer on the beach some mornings that I brought from the room. Sounds excessive but I only drink like this once or twice a year on vacation and I like to take advantage of it all. A 24 hour small snack/coffee station would have been nice too. These could be up by the games room and computers.

EPM is not in our top 3 favorite resorts so we likely won’t return as we have always tried new places. I thought with the large amount of repeat clients here this might have been the exception. I’ll begin my search for next Christmas in a few months. Feel free to PM me any recommendations. The one to top for our family is RIU Palace Pacifico. It had everything but nice swim-able water. Happy 2014.

Room Tip: I didn't splurge for EC. If its in the budget do as then you would have access to everything th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank jlocole

We appreciate your very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation and for mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable.

On the other hand, we are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

However, we are very much concerned by your review, especially since we have high hygienic standards and our staff is well trained on this food & beverages safety practices. The resort undergoes continuous evaluation from external recognized institutions in order to accomplish this goal. Our customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,255 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!