“Excellence at Excellence” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Union, Kentucky
“Excellence at Excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at EPM from Oct 9 thru Oct 15 to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We wanted to do something really special for this anniversary so we looked long and hard at the options. I can honestly say that we TOTALLY made the right choice with picking Excellence Playa Mujeres.

What we liked:
- The staff : The level of service is top notch. Everyone is so friendly and ready to serve.

- The room : We had a rooftop terrace room in the 8000 building and it was amazing. Clean, elegant, spacious, romantic. Bed was firm, but not too firm. My wife and I enjoyed the large shower (probably big enough for 3 or 4 people). We also enjoyed channel 50 :-). The rooftop terrace is just amazing. We slept on one of the rooftop beds until about 3am one night. The stars are just amazing.

- The food : We loved the variety of the food offered. Our favorite restaurant was the French restaurant (Chez Isabelle). It's certainly the most elegant of the bunch. Only downside is the wait time (over an hour both times we ate there). But, we just hung out at the Martini bar and they gave us a buzzer to let us know when our table was ready. We ordered room service each morning for breakfast. Loved having breakfast on our balcony each morning.

- The beach : From the reviews I read of the EPM beach, I really had low expectations of the beach. However, we were pleasantly surprised. The sand was nice and soft and there were always lounge chairs available for us. There was a decent amount of seaweed that washes up on the shore each day....which really didn't bother us too much. They have a tractor that comes by every now and then to clean it up. The water temperature at the beach was just perfect and the size of the waves was ideal for us (not too big, not too small).

- The spa : We booked a couples massage by the ocean. Incredible. The hydro circuit that they have you go thru prior to your massage is amazing.

- Beach beds : Our last night, we spent a couple hours in that evening just lounging on one of the beds on the beach. No one bothered us and it probably something we should have done more than one evening.

What we didn't like (or thought could be improved):
- Disco/Night Club : Dance floor is too small and choice of music was just not on par with what we were hoping for.

- Drinks : Overall, the mixed drinks seemed weak and heavy on the mixers (probably a blessing). By the end of our stay, we were ordering a shot along with our drink - and would then pour the shot into our drink.

- Topless participation : My wife was looking forward to spending a lot of the time at the beach and pool topless (of course, I was looking forward to this too!). During our entire stay, we only saw two women topless at the beach. This didn't stop my wife, but it certainly did make her feel a lot more self conscious about it. We never saw anyone topless at the pools...though my wife did wear a white see-thru-when-wet bikini one of the days at the "party pool".

What we didn't do:
- Excursions : We didn't even get to do everything there was to do at the resort. We just didn't feel the need to leave the resort.

We're definitely going back as soon as we can....and we're going to invite some of our friends to come along with us. :-)

Room Tip: Buildings 8000 and 9000 and the closest to the ocean and closest to the action (shows, restaurants...
3 Thank Paul S
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time of sharing your experience with us.

It is a pleasure to know that you chose us as hosts of your 20th anniversary and that we were able to exceed your expectations making of this celebration a unique and memorable experience.

We are pleased to know that your relaxing vacation with us was highlighted by the courteous attention of our staff, comfort room accommodations, and enjoyable food & drinks in our restaurants and bars.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon for another family vacation or romantic getaway.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,996)
  • Korean first
Apopka, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

This vacation would have been perfect…except for the awful BED BUGS!!! I woke up with bites from head to toe. What was even worse was management’s RESPONSE to us. I went to the nurse on site that quickly dismissed it, claiming they were mosquito’s bites, without even looking at them. I am from Florida, I KNOW WHAT MOSQUITO BITES LOOK LIKE. I called management from my room. They were just as rude and dismissive. They finally agreed to check the room and change the sheets. We did our best to enjoy the rest of our vacation. The food and beverage staff was wonderful and the property itself was beautiful. However, if you are a beach person, this is not the place for you. Horrible seaweed problem. You have to walk though about 8 feet thru this awful seaweed to get to the blue waters.
The day after we returned home, I emailed the customer service department, along with PICTURES showing the bites on my arms and legs. No response whatsoever. We liked so much about this resort..but no amount of beauty and good food and drink is worth bed bugs. I am just praying none came home in our luggage.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank mcmg73
First and foremost we would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this discontent to our attention.

We are baffled by your review since at Excellence Resorts we are committed to provide excellent accommodations in consistency with high standards. The resort undergoes continuous evaluation from external recognized institutions in order to accomplish this goal. The regular inspections to the hotel show that our standards meet the international best practices and regulations.

Our corporate customer service department remains at your disposal at customerservice@excellence-resorts.com in order to further discuss the matter or in case you require any future assistance.
Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

I think everything has already been said abt this gorgeous and insanely great hotel! We stayed in eptember/October for our honeymoon, 8 days, and had an excellent experience! The rooms are just as is pictured. I wouldn't recommend upgrading to EC. Non EC is just fine and truly sufficient! The beach is great..the little seaweed did not bother me. The water is clear and blue and absolutely relaxing and divine! The activities were really awesome. I especially liked the trivia by the pool. The host of that segment was sooo funny! WHATTTTTT!??!! (only those who've been would get that lol).

Latin dance class was also fun. I attempted to try the bike tour but apparently I'm too short for the bikes :( That would be my one and ONLY suggestion for this hotel..to get smaller bikes for us tiny girls if possible.

Love this place and wouldnt hesitate to go back. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have abt my trip.

Room Tip: We were in building 7 which was close enough to everything. I would recommend it
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mandisa_12
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We just celebrated our 10th anniversary at Excellence Playa Mujeres and couldn't have asked for a better place. This was our first all inclusive and visit to Mexico and it was fabulous. The accommodations, staff, food, drinks, etc were all excellent. They made you feel so pampered. It was a perfect way to celebrate. As part of the Excellence Club we were able to enjoy even more amenities and was so worth it. I'd like to especially thank Fidel, who was wonderful anticipating all of our needs as we sat by the pool and/or beach, he was fantastic! We miss it already and can't wait to go back, hopefully sooner than later.

Room Tip: The rooms within the 8300 block were great. They were a bit quieter away from some of the main buil...
1 Thank Autumn O
Whidbey Island, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

OK, I'll just start this off by saying right up front that if you're planning a honeymoon, anniversary, or romantic getaway, you really shouldn't look any further than Excellence. I'll elaborate on this in a bit, but for now I'm just going to assume it's a foregone conclusion that you're going to book your trip with them, because I can't imagine how any place else could even come close to the level of this tropical paradise. But since I find glowing reviews to be, frankly, a bit unhelpful, I'm going to use this space to give you - the (presumably) first time visitor to Excellence Playa Mujeres, or even Mexico in general - a heads up as to all the little quirks I wish I'd known before my visit.

Firstly, when you get off the plane and go through customs, stop only to exchange your currency. If you're a Bank of America customer in the states, there is a Banco Santander ATM right next to currency exchange that will allow you to take withdrawals in pesos at a good exchange rate and not charge you any fees. Take advantage of this - the ATM at the resort will charge you 10% in fees, on top of what your bank in the states charges you. More importantly, if you booked through Expedia, Cheap Caribbean, or any other travel site, keep your itinerary out of sight, and do not, under any circumstances, stop to talk to the people between the currency exchange and exit doors. If they see your paperwork, they will pretend to be representatives of the site you booked with, and call you over. IMPORTANT: This is a timeshare scam! They'll be very friendly and ask to "review" your paperwork with you, claiming that they're making sure that you understand everything. They'll then casually inquire if you've got any other plans during your trip. What they're trying to do here is find something they can offer you at a perceived discount. For example, if you plan on booking a SCUBA dive trip, they'll tell you where you can get a two tank dive, and tell you to make sure you don't pay more than $70 U.S. But then they'll also mention that they have a partner that will give you a special discount, making your dive just $25. At this point you still think they're with the company you booked with, so it's easy to trust them. This all happens very fast, and when you're already jet-lagged, confused, and disoriented from being in a new country. It's a little embarrassing to admit falling victim to this scheme, but they have it down to a science, and the only way to help other people not get tricked is to talk about it. It wasn't until I was at the hotel and looking over the paperwork that I realized that in order to redeem the excursion vouchers I'd just dropped $50 bucks on, I'd have to take a cab almost two hours south of the resort and sit through hours of timeshare pitch, then drive the two hours back, effectively taking up the entire first full day of my vacation. These people will try very hard to get your attention. Don't talk to them. Don't acknowledge them. Don't even look at them. They are crooks. Just walk straight out the doors and find your hotel transport.

The good news is, aside from that costly first mistake, everyone else we met in Mexico was very friendly and helpful, especially those who were with the travel companies we booked through. Be sure to have plenty of small bills to tip with, and if you have to hail a cab somewhere, be sure you know how much it is supposed to cost to get from point A to B up front, because the cab drivers will try to charge you more. This isn't really them trying to rip you off, they expect you to haggle. If you know what the true price of a fare should be, you can refuse to pay anything higher. Or for less stress, just book your excursion transfers in advance of your vacation.

Anyway, once you arrive at Excellence, the bellhop will greet you with glasses of champagne and wet towels. On day zero the towel won't make much sense, but by day three you'll definitely get it. It's very hot and humid outside, and a cool, damp towel placed on the face or back of the neck does wonders to cool you off.

When you step inside the resort, prepare to be amazed. The entire facility is stunningly beautiful, and the first sight you'll witness will be a huge, marble lobby with comfortable chairs and chess boards waiting for you, and a grand staircase descending to a sitting lounge and martini bar. If you signed up for the Excellence Club, the bellhop will take you over to the club house, giving you a private tour of the grounds as you go. Excellence Club isn't necessarily essential, but if you can swing it, I recommend doing so. You'll get upgraded liquor in your room, fresh fruit and newspaper every morning, and a lot of extra little perks. One night we received an invite to a "Chocolate Me Time" party at the Excellence Club, where we were dazzled with a dizzying array of chocolate confections and drinks. You'll also get access to the Excellence Club private pool. In and of itself this doesn't seem that exceptional, as there are pools all over the property, and plenty of opportunities for a swim. But there is a private concierge at the Club pool who will go out of his way to make up seats, deliver drinks and snacks as you lounge poolside, and generally do anything they can to assist you. You can even have lunch delivered poolside. When we were just relaxing on property, the Excellence Club Pool quickly became one of our favorite places.

If you're staying for a honeymoon, be sure to have a copy of your marriage license with you. The resort will have a few special surprises for you, which I won't spoil, other than to say you do NOT want to miss out on them - TRUST ME. But you will need to provide a copy of your marriage license to gain access to this, so make sure you have it with you.

Another thing to note is that you should avoid the temptation to throw open all your doors and windows. You'll have a fantastic balcony with cool ocean breezes, and it's very tempting to want to open everything up. Unfortunately, when you have a cool room full of marble floors, and 90% humidity in the warm air outside, it takes about 5 minutes for a thin layer of condensation to cover everything. If you're in a rooftop terrace room, this is an even greater hazard, as you have stairs to contend with. I didn't properly heed our bellhop's warning about leaving the windows closed, and got a huge bruise on my leg and a skinned up arm to show for it after taking a tumble down some slippery stairs my first morning there. It's great to sit up on the rooftop or balcony and look out at the sea, but keep the doors closed.

Speaking of the Rooftop Terrace rooms - if you're really looking to do a honeymoon or anniversary right, definitely spring for one of these. You'll have access to your own private rooftop pool, outdoor shower, and two daybeds. If you get the right room (I *strongly* recommend asking for room 9457) you'll have total privacy; ideal for people looking for their own private romantic paradise, or just to get rid of some tan lines without having to worry about prying eyes.

The other major recommendation I can make is to spend your money on fewer expeditions in favor of a longer vacation. We made the mistake of booking expeditions on three of our five full days, and significantly regretted it. The resort is so amazing that you won't want to leave the grounds. There's always something to do - from shows, to classes, to the free Kayak and pontoon rentals, or even just relaxing by the pool with a cool drink. You don't ever have to worry about being bored. We had a lot of fun on our expeditions, but if I had to do it again, I wouldn't have left the property the whole time. We also found there to be very good snorkeling on the beaches along the resort - lots of starfish, rays, and an wide array of fish swim in the shallows, and the water is crystal clear and so salty that you don't need to swim - just lie flat and you'll float. We brought our own snorkels and masks from home for this purpose, and it was a very good decision.

Speaking of water sports, my wife and I are both SCUBA divers. If this is something you're curious about, find a good dive school and get certified well before going on your trip. I cringed when I saw the AquaWorld sign that said "get SCUBA certified in less than 2 hours!" SCUBA is a wildly fun, amazing, and addictive activity, and the diving in Caribbean sea is some of the best in the world, but it's not a sport you should learn in a couple of hours. You'll have a lot more fun if you're confident in your understanding of the physics and physiology involved in diving, and know how to calmly handle an emergency situation. I witnessed the AquaWorld SCUBA instructor on property set two full tanks - basically bombs pressurized to 3,000 pounds per square inch - upright on the side of concrete pool and walk away from them. This diver training "no-no" 101. If the instructor can't get basic equipment safety right, I shudder to think what the quality of the certification they give you in two hours must be. Proper diving education is literally a life and death matter - don't rush it.

Another consideration that can be a bit confusing at times is tipping. The resort is all-inclusive, so with the exception of the spa, cigars, shops, and the premium wine lists at dinner, you don't pay for anything on property (BTW, you can just ask for the house red or white if you aren't looking to pay for a high-end wine). However, the staff bends over backwards to accommodate the guests, and every one of them genuinely strives to make Excellence their standard. No one on staff expects a tip, but they do deserve them, and will graciously accept them if offered. It's supposedly more polite to tip in pesos, as that is the local currency, but many people also tip in USD. With the exchange rate changing frequently and sometimes not being able to get peso marks in the denominations you'd want them, I can see why dollars would be tempting. My standard for tipping while on property was basically this: $20-$50 pesos most mornings left for the maid service, $20 pesos daily for the mini-bar service (who do a great job of noticing what you like and restocking it well), $20 pesos for the turndown service in the evening (they come in every night and make your room feel just like it did when you first arrived, and they have a tendency to leave little gifts), and $20 pesos for the bartender if he's making me one drink, or $50 pesos if he's making two. For meals I tipped $50 pesos after breakfast and lunch, and $100 pesos at dinner. Also $50-$100 pesos for drivers, depending on how friendly they were.

Speaking of meals, you'll have more dining options than you know what to do with. Lobster House is great for breakfast and lunch, but room service is also a great way to start your day (best to call it in the night before and tell them what time you want it dropped off in the morning). The burger bar on the beach is another great lunch option. For dinner, my favorites were Basmati (Indian) and Chez Isabelle (French), but you'll get a good meal at just about any of the restaurants on property. The biggest problem we faced was not having enough time to try them all. But be sure you pack at least a few nice clothes for dinner - not full formalwear or anything, but most restaurants require dinner guests to wear a button up collared shirt, pants, and shoes. Some khakis, a few comfortable short or long-sleeve button up shirts, and a pair of deck shoes would be well advised.

One final word of warning - pack heavy when it comes to sunscreen and mosquito repellent. I'm admittedly about as pasty white as it gets, but I found by about day two that if I don't reapply sunscreen at least 2-3 times a day, I'd get red and sore very quickly. Mosquitoes usually weren't too bad on property, but the day after a rain when they cut the grass we got several bites. And if you've got any excursions booked that will lead you into the jungle, they can get really thick.

All in all, Excellence Playa Mujeres is the ideal definition of "tropical romantic getaway". If Vegas, or even any place in downtown Cancun was ever on your list of honeymoon options, this probably isn't the place for you. If you're looking for drunken parties and non-stop nightlife, there are a ton of other options to suit your tastes. But if you're looking to wake up every morning and be overwhelmed with a sense of good fortune at getting to experience the very best that this life has to offer, Excellence is really the only way to go. The trip will create memories so beautiful they will seem like a dream, even when you're living them. A vacation here feeds the soul in a way you might not have realized was possible, but upon leaving, you may well be struck by the revelation that the things that used to cause you stress really just don't matter all that much. I could gush for hours about the fantastic staff, grounds so gorgeous it's like you walked into a postcard, and the exciting array of flora and fauna you'll encounter on relaxing strolls (wild iguanas and geckos are everywhere, but never cease to be fascinating; I still miss the gecko who used to hang out on our balcony all night, whom we named Clyde). There were a couple of hiccups we ran into - the ice machine in our building was broken for most of our stay, and the elevator was out of service sometimes - but the important thing is that you are at so much peace that little things like that genuinely don't bother you all that much. And that's really what makes Excellence Playa Mujeres well worth the price tag - it doesn't just help you get away from your stresses for a while, it changes your entire world view, and shows you how much more enjoyable life can be if you don't sweat the small stuff. It's an environment that's an ideal way to kick off a new marriage, or celebrate an old one. In the end, the biggest problem with Excellence Playa Mujeres is that once you've been there, you'll never want to go anywhere else.

Room Tip: 9457 is a rooftop terrace suite which offers total privacy and has probably the best view on the who...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
44 Thank Erick A
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review, and for recommending us with all Trip Advisor readers.

We are delighted to read that you found at Excellence Playa Mujeres the perfect set for your relaxing vacation. Moreover, thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to the quality of food & drinks encountered, the activities and the service of our staff.

We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.
Hayward, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

After a lot of research we decided to celebrate our honeymoon at the excellence playa mujeres. we were greeted like royalty with champagne and cool towels. We selected the excellence club level for our room which made everything so much easier. We were escorted to the excellence club lounge to check in and set up our honeymoon extras like dinner on the beach, massage etc. The rooms were so clean and having the pool right outside our room was perfect. The food was really good and the hibachi grill was our favorite. Asis was our grill master for the night and he was hilarious and the food was amazing. We had the most amazing waitress during our stay Angeles who worked out of the SOL bar. She was so friendly and sweet and always had another drink ready for us before we even asked. She was so funny and made our lounging in the pool days that much better.

Room Tip: I would suggest paying a little extra for the excellence club level the extras are well worth it
4 Thank kstav928
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Our 5th visit to the resort, we brought friends along. A bit aprehensive about "our" resort because we know we love it but would others who have traveled more extensively than us? A big hit, the value, the service, cleanliness, the wonderful staff and the food was top notch. Will always be our goto spot as long as they keep this up. I believe they even upped the game a bit. Some of the food was remarkable this visit. We met some wonderful UK people as well as other from NY and other parts of the US. Love seeing the same staff year after year and they pretend to remember us but those smile never disappear. So lovely and memorable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#3 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,079 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!