“BEST VACAY EVER!!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
San Fernando, Trinidad
“BEST VACAY EVER!!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at this magnificent resort! We must say that this is hands down THE best all inclusive that we have been to. We booked the Excellence Club Two Story Rooftop Terrace Suite Ocean Front. This was amazing for us as we had our private rooftop terrace with hydro spa pool. Our time was mostly spent on our rooftop relaxing and taking in the beautiful scenery. The beach was warm and calm...just the way we like it! The restaurants were excellent with great tasting food and also loved the bars with the many drinks available! The staff were warm and welcoming..no matter what issues we had, they were more than willing to assist. My husband insisted that we do jet skiing on the beach..glad we did because it was awesome!! I must say that we had such a wonderful time!! Will be visiting here again, maybe for our 1 year anniversary !! Cant wait!!! :) :)

Room Tip: Excellence Club Two Story Rooftop Terrace Suite Ocean Front was well worth it!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AmaraChangoor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,193)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Schaumburg, Illinois, United States
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Excellence Playa Mujeres is a fitting name for this resort. It's located on a private beach, where the staff take great care of you. I never once encountered any staff member that didn't want to do their best to take of you. The food was delicious and the entertainment was fun. The rooms were very clean, the beds comfortable, and Bvlgari lotions and soaps to top off the pampering experience. I would definitely recommend anyone to go.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trish J
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Hands down the best all inclusive resort. First time at this resort. The sad part is that the bar is set so high now, that going to another place we will only going to be disappointed.

We went to the Excellence Playa Mujeres celebrating our 28th anniversary. Will be back for our 29th, 30th.. and so on. Awesome facilities, food, drinks and most importantly the customer service delivered by their friendly staff.

I am always leery of names that are trying to portray an image. It is always misleading. Not in this case. More that well deserved. Keep up the awesome work.

Best all inclusive resort. Celebrated our 28th Anniversary. Will be back for the 29th, 30th,.....and so on. This is not the place for you if you do not want to be treated like a one per center.

If you go to the Mexican restaurant, ask for Juan Francisco Alanis. One of the many great people that work at the resort. He makes a mean Mexican Coffee. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Get the upgrade. Besides the Ocean View room and the top shelf liquor for the mini bar, you get Exce...
5 Thank Teddy D
Atlanta
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The good: The resort is BEAUTIFUL and most of the staff is amazing as well. There is a disco with a nightly DJ and we partied there every night! We took the catamaran to Isla Mujeres right from the marina next door which was awesome. The food is pretty good.

The bad: I would definitely recommend it for a vacation for couples or small groups. They don't handle large groups well. Every meal we had long waits for our food if we had over 5-6 people at a time. We brought over 50 people with us for our wedding. we often plan at least 1 group trip per year with 40-50 people. Prior to arriving for our wedding, my husband and I had planned to return for our 1-year anniversary and bring the group with us. After the experience we had, we changed our minds.

I sent Nayeli, the wedding coordinator a 5-6 page email, with EVERYTHING she and I had talked about over the past year so she wouldn't have to find it all in different places, she'd have it all in one place. Neat and tidy, organized by days. I sent it several weeks before we arrived in Cancun. She even hugged me and thanked me for it saying that no one ever does that for her. A lot of good it did me.

I met with Nayeli the day I arrived in Cancun for almost 2 hours going over everything in the email. I had 3 suitcases filled with wedding items. Each suitcase had a packing list so she would easily know where each item was. I had 2 hostesess the day of the wedding to make sure the things I wanted done were carried out.

There were several things I asked her to do that weren't done:

1. I asked for white flags and tiki torches lining the CECO Terrace (entry walkway to the reception area) - which is standard and customary; I just wanted to make sure it was done. It wasn't.

2. I had a photo charm made of my favorite aunt that passed a couple of years ago. I wanted it pinned to my bouquet with a light blue ribbon. That was my something blue. I gave the charm and the ribbon to Nayeli on the day I arrived in our meeting. She was supposed to affix it to my bouquet before bringing the flowers to my room. She was late bringing the flowers to my room and when she came the charm wasn't on the bouquet. My wedding was further delayed because I refused to start without the charm being put on my bouquet. We weren't able to take many pictures after we were all dressed outside my room because we were so late and by the time she came back with the bouquet they were rushing me telling me we only had the judge for a certain amount of time and had to hurry. We didn't have that opportunity on the way to the ceremony site to take pictures because she was running 30 minutes late!

3. I had table numbers that were printed on velum paper. They needed to be rolled in a cylinder shape and taped to stay closed. I knew it would be windy so in the meeting I suggested she roll them around a water glass so they wouldn't fall over. She disregarded my suggestion and on the wedding day because it was windy, she wasn't going to use my table numbers, she was just going to place pieces of paper with the numbers on the tables. My hostesses insisted she use the glasses which is the only reason why they were used. I never got my table numbers back, they were thrown away. I had 7 tables and these weren't just Tables 1-7. Our tables had meaning. For instance one table had a large 21 on it and then underneath it said "The day in April 2012 Mark proposed". Another number had a large 15 on it and then underneath it said "The day in September 2011 we went on our 1st date". All of our table numbers had significant meaning to us and I hated that they were thrown away because I have a shadow box for ALL of my wedding items.

4. I brought 3 frames of pictures of Mark's parents (who are deceased) and my aforementioned aunt. I told Nayeli in the meeting and in my email we would need rocks to hold the frames down. They were the clear certificate frames that had a base as opposed to the kickstand style frames. She wasn't going to use the frames the day of the wedding because of the wind. My hostesses insisted that she get some water bottles to hold them down since she hadn't gotten any rocks.

5. My customized menus with each guest's name on them somehow fell into the pool of water near the CECO Terrace. My hostess jumped into the water to get them which is the only reason we had them at the reception.

6. I asked in the email to have my wedding cake sent to our room after the reception but because we didn't really eat ANY of it at the reception, the Captain told me it would be brought out for breakfast the day after the wedding (we had a table reserved for us for 30 people) as well as for dinner that evening. It wasn't brought out and when I asked about it, they told me the Captain was off that day and no one knew anything about it or where it was. I never got ANY of my wedding cake other than the small piece Mark and I fed each other for pictures.

7. In September, I arranged the hydrotherapy treatments for everyone in the wedding party. I had 2 different groups for the girls and one group for the guys. It was supposed to be a fun, bonding experience. Again, I booked it in September 2012. The guys consisted of Mark, his groomsmen, and my 2 sons. When my sons arrived at the spa, they wouldn't allow them to participate. Mark had already gone inside to change so he didn't know what was going on in the waiting area. They told my sons that it had been reserved by not paid for. I had had COUNTLESS emails with the spa AND had spoken with them on the phone at least 3 times confirming the appointments. They never once told me the appointments needed to be paid for in advance or I would have done that. Not to mention, Mark didn't pre-pay for him and his groomsmen nor did I prepay for the 2 groups of ladies. I have NO idea what that was about.

8. It took me the FULL week after the wedding to get some of my things back. They sent things back to my room in pieces throughout the week because they couldn't find it all. At the end of the reception, I didn't want to leave because I wanted to make sure I got all of my things back. The Captain had to assure me several times he was putting all my stuff together and getting it to Nayeli in order for me to leave. It took them days to find my guestbook, sand ceremony frame, candles, menus, handpainted margarita glasses and maracas I bought while in Mexico, as well as ALL THREE of my suitcases. They called me asking me if I had them when the last time I saw them was when I left them with Nayeli on the day I arrived. I still never got all of my things back.

9. We brought our photographer with us. We paid her to do a sunrise trash the dress shoot on Sunday, day after the wedding. I had a 2nd dress I was wearing, not my wedding gown. I sent my dress on Saturday to be steam cleaned (it was brand new but had gotten wrinkled in my luggage). I checked the express service which should have gotten it back to me in 3 hours. When the girl came to pick up the dress, I stressed to her I had a photoshoot in the dress early the next morning and confirmed several times with her that I would have it back in time. She said I would have it back in plenty of time since I checked 3 hour service. Then I went about the rest of my day and proceeded to get married. It wasn't until the next morning as I was getting dressed for the shoot I realized that the dress had never come back. I had to call, they had to look for it. I didn't receive it until 7/7:30 am...long after the sun had risen. A waste of my money. They offered me a shoot with their photographer but that wasn't the same at all. If I had wanted to use their photographer, I would have booked him to begin with. They ended up compensating us with a free shoot with their photographer. His images were decent but not what we were planning on having.

10. The day we arrived, Nayeli told us we had breakfast in bed in our package and asked us when we wanted it and had us select our menu. We selected our menu and told her we wanted it at 9:30 am on Wednesday after the wedding. She confirmed this with me by email twice. On Wednesday we waited until about 10 am before Mark called to find out where it was. They didn't know what we were talking about. Then they offered to send breakfast to us but couldn't send the breakfast we had selected and couldn't tell us how long it would take. We wasted that morning in the room and instead of having a relaxing, lazy morning in bed, it felt stressed and wasted.

11. We ate dinner in the French restaurant one evening and the Captain was particularly rude to me and my guests so we all made sure not to eat there again. To compensate for this the Guest Services Director arranged for us to have a private dinner on the patio of the french restaurant (which they never do), complete with rose petals sprinkled about, and a custom menu that the chef prepared just for us (not on the menu). It was actually delicious.

12. I requested RESERVED signs for my mom, brother and sons at the ceremony. There weren't any.

13. They arranged for us to have a private dinner on the beach. Our table was on the beach in the middle of a large heart drawn in the sand lined with flameless tealight candles (my candles which I had brought from home and they said they couldn't find! LOL).

14. I left a message for the General Manager of the hotel with a specific message that I wanted to meet with her. She sent the Guest Services Director to meet with me instead. I guess even though I brought over 50 people with me she was too busy and couldn't be bothered.

15. We waited for over 1 1/2 hours for our meal at the Lobster House one evening and there were only 10 of us. We always had long waits for meals no matter where we dined or how many of us there were.

The day of my wedding I didn't allow ANYTHING to spoil my day and it was absolutely perfect because of the frame of mind I stayed in. However with that being said their wedding department leaves a lot to be desired. I think they have way too many weddings for what their small staff can accommodate. I would love to return to the place where it all began for our anniversary but I cant chance having that many issues again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank danak71
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review of your recent stay at the Excellence Playa Mujeres. It's a pleasure to hear from you and to see that you generally enjoyed your visit with us.

Allow us to apologize for not being able to exceed your expectations and for the for the situations described as encountered regarding your wedding celebration. We are very much surprised by your review and the disappointments you faced during your stay with us since the general feedback on our events has thus far been positive.

Your information is important to us as it highlights areas in which we can improve our service. Allow us to assure you that immediate measures have been taken with the responsible managers of each area to avoid future discontents on these matters.

We will be very pleased to host you again to live the real Excellence Resort’s experience that you deserve.
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was my second time staying there, I thought it was even better the second time around... The staff is so friendly, the property is so beautiful, plenty of activities in the day time, wonderful tennis instructor, the head men of the entertainment were so happy and fun to be around. The only complaints I would have would be the bed in the room is not that comfortable and there needs to be more night life after the shows, besides that we already have plans to go back next year because it's just so fantastic.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Judywithabigbooty
Des Moines
Reviewed September 6, 2013

A little background to put into context this trip report:
Middle Aged couple w/kids from the mid-west - US. celebrating anniversary - 7th time to Mexico

Trip was awesome - the nicest hotel We have stayed at in Mexico

A little pre-trip planning

Transportation

This organization is great, timely and professional, I use them regularly. They suggest 3 hour pickup prior to leaving - I chose to scale that back a bit. Why sit in a airport when you can be on the beach.

Contacted Vilma @ Hotel to confirm arrival and select building preference
Playamujeres@excellence-resorts.com

We chose not to upgrade and I don't feel we missed anything.

Check in was quick and easy. The room wasn't ready but were given a pager and we were off for lunch and to explore the resort.

I couple of things I was glad I Didn't see - Time Sales people and beach sales people

The room 7320 was awesome - overlooking a pool - and ocean a little further out. great little patio to enjoy the sunset. We did order mattress pad after first night - bed was little hard.

I liked that the bars opened at 9 am - not necessarily for booze. when your playing or walking on the beach it was nice to go get a bottle of water.

The restaurants were great - Don't hesitate to order two entrees

My one overall requirement in a resort is no reservations required. I am on vacation, my day should not be planned around a dinner time. The Excellence was a perfect place. I did find out if you want to each at the Asian restaurant with a food preparation done at your table you had to make a reservation. Other than that - no reservations required.

I called to have mini bar and fridge serviced - Ernesto was a great guy.We took out the stuff We didn't drink and loaded up on diet coke and beer. The snacks replenished daily, M&M, snickers, potato chips, oreos.

We enjoyed the swim up bar (Luis will make you some wild drinks) during mid afternoon heat, otherwise we enjoyed the beach and all the amenities.

My wife really enjoyed her spa visit.. she good not say enough good things about her visit in comparison to other resorts.

This resort was so nice, I am contemplating going back. I normally don't revisit a resort because, there are so many places I want to check off my bucket list.

There is so much more - This resort was great for us.

Room Tip: no need to upgrade for us.. stayed in room 7320 - was perfect
9 Thank bthomps01
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We went to Excellence Resort for 10 nights for our Anniversary and returned 09/05/2013. It was truly the BEST RESORT we have ever stayed at!! From the moment we arrived at the airport Best Day Transported us within minutes of arrival. Our Welcome was like no other -- champagne and truly classy. The concierge was amazing! Our room was breathe taking, immaculate, clean and truly what you see on the photos is what you get ---PERFECTION! WE LOVED OUR ROOM!! ROOM SERVICE WAS AMAZING! IRENE was our morning lady and she was EXCELLENT! I had lost a diamond earring that I carelessly misplaced in the room. I never said a word to anyone. By the next morning she had found the diamond earring and left it on my table! Thank you! Thank You! Our daily breakfast at the Toscana was PERFECT! Thank you Alberto our server who made each morning special! Thank you William for my daily juices they were awesome! Thank you Ivan for the perfect omelets you made with such love & attention!! The Beach Staff Manuel, Carolina, Paul, & Africa!! You made our beach experience wonderful! Thank you for your attention! Room Service was EXCEPTIONAL!!! Lets talk about the food. This was a big topic for me and my husband. It seemed that other resorts were just okay and never that good. NOT at the Excellence Playa Mujeres! The FOOD was JUST AMAZING!!!! Our favorite spots were BARCELONA, Chez, Spice and Agave. BARCELONA you made our stay a memorable one! The staff, Blanca, Martin, Jose, Julio and the Chef JESUS!! What Service! The food was amazing! Chef Jesus prepared our last supper at the resort and we have no words! He blew away many NYC restaurants with his cooking!! Thank you so very much!! Spice was very very good! You have to experience the Hibachi show ---excellent! The French Restaurant Chez Isabelle was excellent as well, food was tasty and cooked to perfection! Lets not forget Agave! The Mexican cooking to its finest!! Ignacio you were truly wonderful and Juan your personality made our experience so beautiful! Lets talk about entertainment. It was truly amazing! I must say that Tren Latino, Habana and their many entertainers were great!! The shows were excellent. Our favorite shows were The Michael Jackson and The Circus. We enjoyed these the most. The Circus was very enjoying!! Music at the beach and Salsa lessons were appreciated! As far as the entertainment we really enjoyed our nights at the plaza. We met other couples and even danced!! The Excellence has a wonderful SPA. We tried the SPA and the service was SUPERB!! You got to try the Hydra Spa and massage. There is so much to say about this wonderful resort. But one thing separates this resort from any we have gone to -- it's THE STAFF and its SERVICE! That truly make the difference! They go over the TOP to make you feel like Royalty! Please tip them for their service----they truly truly deserve to be recognized for the service they give you! Even if its all inclusive! Its Nice to be thanked! Finally the beach---it was warm, it was like swimming in an oasis. It was just perfect! The best vacations we had ever had! We are now planning to return again to EXCELLENCE PM where we plan to make this our permanent choice. Try this resort---you will not regret it! WE LOVED IT!!! Thank you to all the staff that made our stay a MEMORABLE ONE!!! From transportation, to room service to so many many that its too much to state. The place takes pride in SERVICE! Excellence is truly EXCELLENT!!!

Room Tip: We personally like ocean view. But I must add, all the rooms are Excellent! Air conditioning was awe...
9 Thank JMILIAN2013
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
It is our pleasure to know that Excellence Playa Mujeres exceeded your expectations, making you feel relaxed and pampered all the time. Our commitment is to make of every guest experience, as exceptional and unique as it can be.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to the relaxing treatments offered at our spa, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests but reviews like yours serve us to motivate us even more; we have forwarded your message to all our Department Managers.

We are looking forward to welcome you back and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!