“Nothing Better!!! Aug 2013” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Woodstock,Ga
“Nothing Better!!! Aug 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and i spent our 45th Wedding Anniversary, and made our Reservations in March of 2013. Our expections were truly met. The service was outstanding. From our first encounter was with Christian at the Excellence Check In to Leaving.

Christian was great and took his time with us on the Check In. Once we settled in, we then met some of the outstanding folks that all they wanted to do , was to make us feel comfortable and would do anything you asked.

Lidia and Paul-- Concierge at the Excellence Pool- Unbelieveable , both were there to make your stay enjoyable. They would serve, cool wash clothes at mid day and serve you some different or'dures (mis-spelled) and refreshing drinks . They would also, spend time talking to you and always asking , what could they do for us.

Adan (pronounced) A-don-- Excellence Pool Bar Tender- Very Good, always on the move , he really had responsibly for the Excellence Club Beach area and the Pool. This was out of the Cielo Bar.

Hats off to Julio, Fidell and Maria- They worked the Excellence Club area and were always on the go.

Gabiel and Alexander- Both worked very hard to make sure we did not want for anything. Gabiel, was always there at any of the bars, and if he saw us, he would go out of his way, to see if there was anything we needed.

Just supper People that this a very "Exellence" place.

I don't want to forget, Vilma and Daniela- If they saw us, they would always ask if there was anything they could do.

Everything else was great! We will be back.

1 Thank 404Flash

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,996)
  • Korean first
Douglas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I booked our 3 week summer holiday at this resort on the advice of friends who have spent several holidays there since the resort opened. They could not recommend it highly enough and we now realise why!!! The staff were brilliant and nothing was to much trouble - we would particular like to mention and thank the following staff:- Daniela (Guest Services Manager), Alexander and Wilan (Bar Supervisors), Emmanuel (Mini Bar), Ceasar (Martini Bar), and Raul (Revive Bar), to mention just a few.
The management should be highly complimented on the way they choose their staff as all the staff we came into contact with were genuinely friendly, helpful and appeared to take a pride in their work.
The restaurants were all excellent and we tried each of them - our particular favourites were Chez Isabelle, Basmati, and Spice.
The evening shows were all entertaining and well presented and there were plenty of daytime activities which meant that you could do as much or as little as you wanted to.
All in all this resort is a little bit of heaven on earth and we would strongly recommend it to anyone thinking of going there - we are already thinking of booking for next April!!

Room Tip: All the suites are the same though there is an extra cost for a swim up suite, a rooftop suite and a...
3 Thank MikeJulieIOM
Cornwall, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Resort: a place to which people frequently or generally go for relaxation or pleasure, especially one providing rest and recreation facilities for vacationers

This resort is geared to couples. If you're single and looking for other singles, or for all night parties, this probably isn't the place for you.

What makes Excellence Playa Mujeres more than a resort, are the people and the service. There are many beautiful resorts to chose from, but this one sets itself apart from others by humanizing the experience. You're not just a number here, or just part of the ever-changing herd.
It's a top down philosophy at this resort and everyone from the cleaning staff to the General Manager prove their commitment to personal customer service on a daily basis.

This was our 9th Excellence visit. We've been to all 3 Excellence properties and love this one the best. The fact that we keep returning speaks for itself.

The buildings and grounds are impeccably kept. Attention to detail is apparent. The staff are friendly, efficient, and just over the top nice!
The management team is very hands on. You can see them out and about chatting with the guests. Very personal touch.

Free wifi available throughout the resort. There is also a computer library with printer.

Rooms: All the suites are wonderfully appointed,nicely decorated and super clean. They all have a jacuzzi and a terrific balcony with a double bed on it! The best location for your room would depend on your personal preferences.

Food: Many excellent food choices. I'm a super picky eater and always come home heavier than when I left. My spouse on the other hand is a foodie. He eats just about anything but has high expectations and standards. The food here is well prepared, flavorful, and professionally presented. Our favorites are Spice and Chez Isabelle. The chefs are more than happy to accommodate for any food allergies or preferences.

We love the fact that there are no reservations for dinner. Many choices are offered for lunch, such as buffet, beach grill, pizza oven, room service, poolside menus etc.

Pools: Many crystal clear pool areas to chose from. Some offer a lively atmosphere with activities and entertainment. Some offer quiet solitude. There are pool mats available, but if you visit during a high volume time, you may want to consider bringing one with you. In the colder months, the main pool is heated. Bonus: no towel cards!!

Beach: The water is calm as Isla Mujeres acts as a breakwater. The sand is soft and powdery. Great beach for long walks. Many free water activities available such as snorkeling, kayaks, hobie cat, paddle boats, paddle board. You can also jet ski or para sail at a cost.

Shows and Entertainment: The entertainment staff does a great job with the shows (top notch) as well as offering a large variety of sports and activities. My standout shows are Madonna and Michael Jackson.

Spa: The spa is professional and relaxing. I regularly use the Water Wellness, Massages, and Mani-Pedi services.

Excellence Club vs not: Again, this is dependent on your budget and preference. Either way, you will be treated very well.

My spouse had a health issue (not related to the trip) and was treated by Dr. Torres. The concierge took care of ordering medication from Cancun and having it delivered right to our room. Thanks so much for the great care.

So many people made this last visit memorable. Thanks to all of you!
Special mention to Miss Virginia, Mr. Eric, Daniela, Dalel, Mariana and Alexander.
Also to Carolina, Mariana from Excellence Club beach and to Super-Fantastic Maria.
Great service from waiters Oscar, Armando, Xavier, Sergio, Jorge, Pedro, Ivan, Omar just to mention a few.
Cafe Kafe: thanks to Gustavo and Heidi. Heidi makes the best specialty coffee!
Thanks to Martin for his knowledgeable advice and good humored service. Loved the Mexican wine selection.

Looking forward to seeing our Excellence Family again on December 28th for our 3rd New Years Eve Party!

Room Tip: The rooms near the spa (buildings 2,3,4) offer more solitude and are quiet.
5 Thank LitleDi
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back at Excellence Resorts.

Thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your stay, due to the relaxing treatments offered at our spa, the food & drinks quality encountered, evening entertainment with special mention of the Michael Jason & Madonna show and the outstanding service provided by our staff members, who always attended to your needs. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests but reviews like yours serve us to motivate us even more; we have forwarded your message to all our Department Managers.

We are looking forward to welcome you back this holidays, and have another opportunity to pamper you with our service creating another experience to remember.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

So many things to say but I will try and keep it concise and get to the main points :)
- Service here is amazing - there is never a lack of staff and everyone is friendly and willing to help or achieve your request. Not once did anyone ever say the words no. From the second you arrive to the moment you leave, the service was truly impeccable - I can't imagine it being better anywhere else.
- Tips are not expected but if you can afford to stay at EPM you should be gracious and kind enough to want to tip. The staff works so hard, you see the same faces every single day and if rumor is true, they make around 8-10$ a day max. Don't forget to leave a few dollars each day for cleaning staff too :) and tips are much better in USD than peso from what we observed.
- The food is okay. I am not the worlds pickiest person but I do enjoy really well done meals. Everything was presented beautifully but in many areas the food lacked. For starters, if you desire a real salad with spinach leaves, vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc -- you will not find it. Not even during the lunch salad bar at Toscana is there a salad bar concept. For me, I try to eat healthy and while I indulged so so so so so much during my week at EPM -- I still desired salads atleast once a day. Don't bother ordering them at any of the restaurants, you literally get a piece of lettuce wrapped up with a cucumber. Also room service is terrible for all meals other than breakfast. Don't waste your time waiting for it -- just go somewhere. The best was the pizza's at the bar by the pool, amazing! Also enjoyed the Lobster at Lobster House and EVERYTHING at Flavor Market. Food at Toscana for dinner was truly awful -- Barcelona was okay, Spice was nothing to get excited about, Agave was run of the mill Mexican food - sadly. Chez Isabelle and the Flavor Market were our favorites as well as the french toast room service.
- Drinks can be creative if you want them to be - they will literally make you anything under the sun. So be a little adventurous!
- Do go visit Isla Mujeres -- it's gorgeous -- we didn't do the tour with the hotel. Instead we took a $13 cab ride to the Gran Puerto Marina -- purchased $14 round trip Ultramar ferry tickets, brought towels from the hotel and went. We rented a golf cart for the day and then lunched and swam at Fenix Bar. They offered free cabana's and the water was way clearer than at EPM.
- There are plenty of sun beds and chairs at EPM, you don't have to wake up extra early to find one which was great.
- We were in building 7 which was centrally located but still quiet and nice. Great view of the lazy river pool.
- Kayaks and Snorkels were free which was fun
- We requested a mattress topper prior to arrival and we slept perfectly
- I went with my boyfriend -- everyone seemed to be married and celebrating something - either honeymoon or anniversary -- staff looked puzzled when we said we just went for vacation haha so expect that if you aren't married. If you are, you'll fit right in. :)
- We did not upgrade to Excellence Club -- so no review on that aspect of things
- Last but not least -- YOU MUST DO THE COUPLES MASSAGE 80 MINUTES WITH HYDROTHERAPY. This was hands down the best spa experience I have ever had -- I can't even begin to describe it! We waited until a 20% off day came around and paid $240 total for both of us. I would do it over and over again. We did it our last full day and it was the perfect cap to a perfect vacation. Just AMAZING.
- I would definitely say go go go go go! :)

Room Tip: Higher floors are always a win-win
1 Thank Leila A
East Norwich, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and I booked this resort as a recommendation from a friend for our 26th Wedding Anniversary. Well we had the time of our lives. The service was amazing, the food was delicious and the entertainment was fantastic. Our room was always clean, the pools are sparkling clear and can't forget room service 24/7 which is just as fresh as going to the restaurants.
The staff is at your beck and call anytime anywhere.
A tip:If you want to eat at the Spice for the Hibachi Restaurant you need to be at the restaurant online at 5:30 to make a reservation for 6:30-7:30-8:30 or 9:30 seating's. Its worth the wait. All others we found if you get there when they open you are taken right away. Also breakfast and lunch at the Italian restaurant is the best the food can't forget the desserts Oh MY God! try each and every one of them.
Each bar and bar waiter gets to know you and calls you by your name, its amazing how with all the guests they remember you.
ALSO: If you can book Excellence Club, do it you won't be sorry. That's the way to go!

Room Tip: Swim up building 8
3 Thank boofjp
Buffalo, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and I went to Excellence Playa Mujeres in April. It was unbelievable! The staff works every second to make your stay memorable. The restaurants were delicious and there were so many choices! The room was spotless, the grounds gorgeous and every moment was perfect! I don't think that I will every stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Excellence Club! We had the roof top terrace, while cool, we didn't use it much...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberly V
Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I spent 8 days at EPM and loved every minute of it. We stayed in an Excellence Club swim out suite. Prior to leaving I wondered if the Excellence Club would be worth the money. I can say that I will only book Excellence Club when I return. The club, private pools, private beach areas and all of the other perks are well worth the money in our opinion.

This is a gorgeous resort with great amenities, but the real reason I will return is the staff. Not only did we receive outstanding service, but we got to get to know some truly wonderful people who go well above and beyond to make your vacation great. If you go do look for the following:

Jaime – he is the bartender in the Excellence Club. We loved sitting at the bar and chatting with him at night. He’s a great guy. Stop by, get to know him and ask him to make you a “Jaime Special” (they are amazing).

Gianelli – we nicknamed her Smiley because she is one of the happiest people I’ve met. She is also one of the most helpful and really went well out of her way to ensure we had a great experience.

Dalel – she is the Excellence Club concierge manager and took amazing care of us throughout our vacation. We will always remember the special dinner she set up for us at Chez Isabel.

Paul – get to know Paul, he’s a great guy. He is a concierge at the Ex Club pool. He took such good care of us while we were there – we do miss getting to see him. Stop by the Ex Club pool and have one of Paul’s “Therapy Waters”.

Adan – he is the Ex Club pool bartender who introduced us to the BBC (try one). I couldn’t finish a drink before he was asking if I needed anything. He really works hard to ensure that you are never without a drink and he’s a blast to talk to.

Cesar – stop by the Martini bar at night and have one of Cesar’s creations. This guy can really mix up a martini

Luis and Eduardo – these guys are a trip. Stop by the pool bar and watch these guys work. I’ve never seen anyone make drinks as fact as these guys can. It’s cool to see. If you can catch a slower time at the bar, they are a lot of fun to talk to. Luis is hilarious.

Gerardo – he is my favorite waiter in the resort. Ask for one of his tables at Chez Isabel. He gave us a very in depth and interesting lesson on Mexican wines. His recommendations were top-notch.

We are looking forward to a return trip (hopefully sooner than later) so we can see our many new friends again. These folks really made our trip – thanks to all of you.

The only thing I would like to see changed about the resort is the air conditioning. It never seemed to be quite cool enough. I’ve been in hotels where you could turn your room into a refrigerator if you wanted to, not the case here. Just a couple of degrees cooler would have been perfect. It would also be nice if they had a way to move more air through the outdoor theater – it gets a bit stuffy and warm. That said, these are nit-picky things and it says something that these are my only points of contention.

All I can say is: just go. You can go somewhere cheaper, but you won't go anywhere better.

Room Tip: Building 8 swim-out facing the main pool (Rm 8060). You get the main pool one side of your room and...
2 Thank Mike2399
First of all we would like to thank you for the time that you have invested in sharing your experience during your stay in our hotel, we are glad to know that you endorsed our property highly.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. Moreover, we recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests but reviews like yours serve us to motivate us even more; we have forwarded your message to all our Department Managers.

We have also noted your comments on our air conditioning, and wish to reassure you that we service the units on a regular basis to ensure that they are kept in optimum working order. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

We are looking forward to having you as our guests again and make every effort to exceed your expectations.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Mujeres
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#3 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,077 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!