“Another Fantastic Holiday At EPM”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
brighton uk
“Another Fantastic Holiday At EPM”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from our 4th holiday with the Excellence Group staying at Excellence Playa Mujeres, Cancun. I have previously written an excellent report for this hotel and am happy to say that once again they excelled. We were there again for our anniversary in August having married there in 2009, so as in previous years we were treated to a very special two weeks, with lots of lovely treats and wonderful service.
Accommodation - We upgraded to the Excellence club which in my opinion is worth the money. We stayed in block 8, and were given the room we requested. As always the maid service was efficient and the little touches at 'turn down' in the evening were very welcomed. Our room was spotless everyday.
Restaurants - Our favourite was by far Chez Isabelle, faultless service overseen by the wonderful manager Pedro who treated us like VIP's. I understand there is a new chef there and this was reflected in the amazing food, always cooked to perfection. We did have a one disappointing experience at the Barcelona, and this was highlighted in a customer service questionnaire. Needless to say this was dealt with very expediently and professionally. We also recommend Spice, the food is gorgeous and the ambience amazing.
Amenities - The hotel is immaculate and the grounds are beautifully kept, spotlessly clean, and very picturesque. The entertainment was very good, we saw the Madonna tribute for the first time this year and is was really very good. Every evening there is something different to look forward to.
Beach - as we had upgraded to the ex club, there is a section of the beach for members. The staff at the beach work tirelessly everyday, nothing is too much trouble. For us there are a few worthy of mention... Marianna, Carolina, Fidel, Maria, Manuel.... thank you so much for all your hard work. We truly felt very spoilt. Poolside... Aidan always smiling and working hard. the pools are beautiful, clean and tested everyday. We spent most days at the beach so did not have any issues with lack of pool floats as mentioned in some reviews.
Mosquitoes - pesky things, we did seem to notice them more this year and I had some nasty bites, that said the grounds are sprayed regularly, so take protection.
Shops - A gift shop, jewellery, perfume are there, but pricey. If coming from Uk make sure you bring stuff like paracetamol if needed, 13 US dollars for a packet!
Concierge and management - thank you Enrique and Henri for all your attention, and of course to Daniela Parra Guest Service Manager who excelled in her role.
So were there any negatives? Honestly not for me. I love this hotel, the staff truly work so hard, and never fail to impress me with their smiles and politeness. Thank you so much Excellence and see you next year!

Room Tip: If staying in Ex Club, block 8 is good. 2nd floor upwards will give a sea view. The block also is qu...
6 Thank joannieBrightonUk
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back at Excellence Resorts.

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the quality of food and beverages and our resort facilities. It was a delight also to read you enjoyed our new Madonna show. Please be sure that Pedro, Mariana, Carolina, Fidel, Maria, Manuel, Enrique, Henri and Daniela, have been already congratulated for providing you an excellent service during your stay.

We all look forward to welcome you on your third visit, and to provide you with another memorable experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,215)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I had decided last March we wanted to travel to Cancun and stay at an all inclusive resort. We knew we didn't want to do the downtown "club" scene that appeals to many, but were looking for more of a low key eat, drink, spa vacay. I researched A LOT, and I kept going back to The Excellence Resort chain. The reviews were just SO good, and I remember wondering ... is this place to good to be true? Well let me tell, it's THAT good, and it's true :-) Whether it be the staff, the rooms, the food, the drinks, the fellow vacationer's, and the entertainment ... our trip was downright near perfect. I can't rave enough about this resort. If you are looking for an out of this world all inclusive experience (and aren't looking to club it up every night), this is the place to go. If you're looking to catch some awesome beach/pool time, eat good food, drink some super fab cocktails, visit a spa, see some great entertainment, and meet some awesome people ... Excellence is the place for YOU! We haven't been back a week+we're already in the process of booking our next visit :-)

9 Thank Elizabeth B
Belleville, NJ
Reviewed August 19, 2013

There is very little I can say about the resort, since I keep returning, because it is the best resort or hotel I have ever visited. Each year We return, we expect it to be like the last time, but each year they top the year prior. This year it was Daniella Perra, the new Manager of guest services, who made reservations for us daily, even though you don't need them, as well as just brightened our day with her smile.

Daniella was not the only one, Africa, Caroline, Marianne, Maria, Ivan, Manuel and the rest of the crew at the Excellence beach and pool area. These guys catered to us, like we were royalty. In the Toscano, Ruben, Lorenzo, Edgar and the entire breakfast crew always went out of their way for all the guest. We also were able to see our Marianna, in the lobby prior to leaving after 10 marvelous days.

I know I am missing many names, but this is all a testament to their leader, Virginia, who always goes out of her way to not only make us feel special and like family, but all guest. While all of the restaurants are great we fell in love again with the French and Mexican restaurants. If you are thinking about going, trust me, I would not keep returning to same place each year if it was not totally worth it. In closing, please don't miss the spa, we had the 100 minute couples massage and facial, you will not regret it.

11 Thank Wendell J
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
First of all, allow us to thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you back at Excellence Playa Mujeres.

We are glad to know that every time you have stayed with us, you have been able to enjoy of many unique and memorable experiences due to the amazing staff, the high quality food encountered at our Restaurants and our facilities. Please be sure that Daniela, Africa, Carolina, Mariana, Ivan, Manuel, Ruben, Lorenzo, and Edgar, have been already congratulated for providing you an excellent service during your stay.

We all look forward to welcome you on your sixth visit, and to provide you with another memorable experience.
Flushing, NY

Hello,

I just came back from having my birthday trip there. I was completely floored by the level of service and hospitality from the entire staff.

Impeccable services. My only problem was that they said that our room was upgraded but I was expecting a bit more.

Room Tip: Anything you want, ask for and they will try to help you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank stormgirl7
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We visited EPM in June for our 15th wedding anniversary. During the time we were scheduled to stay, and at the Excellence Club level, it was a nice vacation. Pro's -
1) can't complain about the Oceanfront, Rooftop Terrace at the Excellence level. I knew what to expect but the view was great, and the Excellence level service was worth the premium.
2) beach level service at the Excellence Level was terrific. They kept us serviced, happy, well-situated, etc. Very nice amenities at the beach.
3) Spice was terrific.
4) The liquor and candy in the room was a nice touch as was the Happy Anniversary stuff.
5) The grounds and resort are immaculate. There is simply nothing haphazard or run-down or in disrepair here. I had seen it before so I expected it but it was very nice.
6) The Excellence Club facility is well run and did a nice job arranging our massage at the beach and our Anniversary dinner.
7) the Spa was gorgeous
8) The gym was doable.
9) The entertainment was good. Specifically Michael Jackson was worth seeing.

Con's -
1) Chez Isabelle was not good. There is no other way to say it. The food wasn't edible, it took so long to be sat that it wasn't worth the wait for a new dish.
2) The Excellence Club liquor is not like Dallas Top Shelf liquor - if you want Patron and Absolut - you should pack it. This is like Crown and Beefeater's Gin. Not bad but not crazy great.
3) FUNJET/ LOMAS Travel is incompetent and ruined my vacation. Period. They picked us up late when we arrived. And when I say late I am talking 45 minutes late. I blew it off. I just rolled with it. Then they did not pick us up for our return flight. As in they never showed up to pick us up to take us to the airport. And by the time we realized they were not coming, in the lobby, and after we spoke to the concierge, my travel agent, American Airlines, the "Worry Free 24 - hour Travel Assistance" line which by the way is only for medical emergencies on Sundays - we were not helped. So we had to pay for an extra night ($473 for the crappiest room in the resort), $1600 for 2 one way tickets to Dallas, $50 for a cab ride to the airport, an extra $25 for DFW parking, priceless that my Nanny wouldn't stay to watch my two kids for an extra night so my poor MIL had to drive in to get them, plus my dog stayed alone at the house - for 18 hours. I hadn't really paid attention that the tour operator was FUNJET. Pay attention - they suck. So in total - if I add up what I spent plus the added day - I could have gone to St. Lucia to Jade Mountain or another 5 Star Resort because the time that was wasted and the money that was spent - equal that sum. So my pretty affordable All Inclusive "easy" Anniversary trip ended up being a $7800 disaster. This is really disappointing since we waited FIVE YEARS for a vacation. And paid for insurance. By the way, AON, the insurance underwriters - who had a claim opened by me and my travel agent BEFORE we missed the flight plus timeline, receipts, etc out the wazoo - they cashed our check for $247 each - and we got nothing. Ruined the vacation.

So what could have happened? 1) The Concierge should have gotten us to the airport for our flight. Or called a cab. 2) The Hotel Manager should have gotten us to the airport or called us a cab. We were Excellent Club level. Work with me here. LOMAS screwed up. 3) LOMAS should have sent anyone to get us as soon as we called. They just lied. Said no one worked there by the name of the person on the return voucher. Said that they had no record of our charter. 4) EPM should have comped our room or done SOMETHING. It was very sad. I traveled 100% for 4+ years. I have NEVER missed a flight in 40 years of flying. Trust me. This was not a good thing. And EPM is in the middle of nowhere. There are no cabs and you have to call someone to come. Never again.

Room Tip: It didn't matter we were in Building 7 - the Rooftop was private
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Boycearama
Waxahachie, Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My bride and I stayed on this property for our Honeymoon. We left very pleased with our decision; however, as a hotel brat (my parents have spent their entire careers in hospitality, and therefore my childhood was spent in the "back of the house") I found some service features to be lacking.

The rooms are as advertised. We found it to be a good size. There is very little privacy between the restroom and the sleep/living area. While not necessarily a problem, it is very noticeable. Also, the tub is located near the balcony, which is romantic and odd at the same time. An added layer of privacy curtain tot he window side would have made my bride more comfortable. The tub was very spacious, and filled quickly. We also found the water temp to be a bit finicky in the shower. This may have been more user error than anything, but it was difficult to rectify. The bed was awfully uncomfortable. It was spacious, and aesthetically pleasing, but don't expect heavenly rest mattresses. I've stayed a lesser hotels with better bedding. The furniture also showed a good deal of wear; however, everything was clean, and cleaned regularly during our stay. Also, the minibar/snacks were supposed to be restocked each day. They were overlooked twice during our 6 night stay. A simple call to guest services took care of it.

Food portions were small, and room service was convenient, but took some planning, as oftentimes it could be very delayed.Because of the bathroom situation, we felt that we could not continue getting ready/showering, etc. until after our food had arrived.

Our favorite restaurant was The Flavor Market, a tapas restaurant on site. The food was excellent, and it was AI, so you could order as much as you wanted. The service in this restaurant was also the best and most personable. As honeymooners, we received a meal upgrade fro a romantic dinner. We wish we had used it here, rather than the lobster house. Our waiter was attentive and fantastic. Other restaurant service was very slow, and items were sometimes overlooked, and the options and quality was just average.

We did not find the beach to be too crowded to where we could not find a seat, but we also spent the majority of our time at one of the pools. The beach was small, only about 700 yards or so. Raquel was a fantastic waitress at the beach. Luis is the best waiter on site, and we made sure to sit in his area every day - he was courteous, attentive, remembered us day after day, and anticipated our needs.

Staff members were courteous and friendly. The front desk was extremely helpful during check in, check out, and during our stay.

We did not leave the property. We enjoyed several shows, and activities available on site. All of this being said, we thoroughly enjoyed the location. We chose this property partly because it was out of the hotel zone, and was also not known for the party scene. My wife and I are not big party scene/ bar hopping people. Everyone here seemed to be a couple, and the atmosphere was very relaxed. We were very pleased with our choice, but our expectations were a bit higher than realized.

Room Tip: Many fellow travelers indicated that there is not a true "ocean view" at this property. We...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank DSFMEC
Excellence_Group, Community Manager at Excellence Playa Mujeres, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
First of all we would like to thank you for the time that you have invested in sharing your experience during your stay in our hotel, we are glad to know that you endorsed our property highly. However, we deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations since one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food, service and facilities.

Thank you as well for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us, and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. We also appreciate your detailed feedback, which helped us identify specifically the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay.

At Excellence Playa Mujeres we strive to make every stay, as close to perfection as possible and we will continue working hard in this direction. Comments like yours have always been of great assistance in fulfilling this mission. We all look forward to welcome you in the near future.
Woodbury, Minnesota
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have been to Mexico many times, but this was our first "adults-only" resort. We had a great time, even though it rained nearly 2 solid days of our 4 days there.

Staff: they were great, from check in to check out.
Activities: Many of the outdoor activities were cancelled due to rain, but there were still many things to do. Never bored
Bars: By far our favorite was the pool bar (when the weather cooperated) and the Martini bar (ask for Cesar to make a Mango-licious)....Amazing!
Rooms: very comfortable. Thought the bed was firm, but not too bad. My only complaint was that the sheets were a bit scratchy. But still not a big deal. Thought the pillows were great. Loved the shower and walk in closet. Not a fan of the "open" toilet. Loved the balcony "bed"!
Grounds: Beautiful and quiet
Food: Loved the French dinner best (also did Mediteranian and Italian and room service). Room service food was great too! Kinda surprised by that.
Spa: a lot of fun, loved the hydrotherapy in the beginning too
Pools: loved that floaties were provided. The pool water was a great temperature too
Beach: clean with lots of seating

We were told the hotel was about 60% capacity. Pool chairs were not at all difficult to come by, no need to "reserve" the chairs at 6am here!

Would absolutely come back!

Room Tip: We had a second level room facing a quiet pool and garden. We were kind of close to the theater, so...
1 Thank j L
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#7 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!