“Excellence Indeed!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Glasgow
“Excellence Indeed!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This hotel lived up to all expectations,it was very hard to find fault in all aspects & I old have no hesitation in recommending The Excellence Playa Mujeres.
The room was amazing & we were upgraded to excellence club in block 7 which was a nice surprise!The bottles of spirits in room was not our favourite's so we asked the minibar guy if he could swap or get us a bottle of Jim Beam & Havana 7 & I thought maybe the next day he might oblige(a small tip was forthcoming)but to my amazement a knock at the door 10 minutes later and our requests were fulfilled !!
We really enjoyed the excellence club lounge & made use of it most mornings for a relaxed breakfast with wonderful service,the staff were so good & nothing was too much trouble.
The restaurant choices were great & we liked ALL of them especially Basmati & The Flavour Market ! It brings back great memories just thinking about it!!!! The bars was also great and all brands are available just ask & you shall receive !
The main pool was great but we most enjoyed the pool at block 7b , the excellence club pools were nice also but busy & it didn't seem a big deal which pool excellence or non-excellence they are all great! It was also a nice touch that we got to use the spa circuit for free because we were excellence club .
The last couple of days we upgraded to a rooftop suite which was a great experience even though the weather was a bit cloudy! It's was definitely worthwhile doing this as we had a blast with our own private pool etc!
I could go on & on , we've been to many Caribbean resorts & loved the Royal playa del Carmen also but overall The Excellence wins it for the rooms,the restaurants & the service & along with the Royal it's one of the few places that I would return to in a heartbeat!
10/10

Room Tip: Excellence club is great but try for a free upgrade!!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank JimmyEye's

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,098)
  • Korean first
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We spent 10 days at this resort at the beginning of May and were greatly impressed. We had a beautiful Excellence Club room and would recommend taking this option. The bathroom was light and spacious and the shower big enough to fit a whole locker room. The food was very good and we particularly enjoyed the French restaurant, the Mediterranean one, the Indian and the Mexican and there were several others as well. A lovely beach, wonderful swimming pools which the staff worked hard to keep in shape. We found the staff very, very nice - friendly, professional, efficient and very concerned for us to have a good time. The spa was fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed the treatments that we had.

Room Tip: We enjoyed being in Building 8.
4 Thank Judi F
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I spent 5 days at this resort in March 2013 just for a nice quiet getaway. That is exactly what we got. The food was very good. We ate at the French restaurant two times. The Filet mignon was excellent. We ate at the Japanese restaurant and the Pad Thai was amazing. We got it as take out one night and just headed back to the room. We were never able to eat Hibachi because you HAVE to make a reservation by going to the restaurant around 5:30 to wait in line and put your name on a list. Each time we tried they were all booked. The buffet was good with a nice variety of foods. Great omelets for breakfast. We enjoyed eating at the lobster house that is set over the main pool.
The pool area is great. A few nice things about the pool are 1.) Easy to meet and talk with people 2.) They have a pizza stand every day and they have a grill on the beach with good food. 3) There are two hot tubs that were a lot of fun. 4) The drinks are good, not too sweet. 5) Almost every lounge chair has a hut to lie under.
A few downfalls. 1) There was only one waiter per each side of the pool area walking around and he didn't seem too pleasant when you stopped him. You're better off getting up and waiting at the bar. 2) The entertainment at the pool area was pretty nonexistent. Once a day they turned on the music for about 1/2 hour and did some strange water aerobics and then shut the music off. Personally I enjoy music at a pool all day. Doesn't have to be loud but just something playing while relaxing. 3) People reserve seats at the pool. In order to get a seat by the pool you have to be there by 7AM the latest or you will have a seat with a bad view. You arrive around 7:30 and all the seats have towels and books on them and no one is there.
We had a couples massage at the Spa which was phenomenal. The Spa is beautiful and the staff is very attentive and pleasant. The price is not included and was a little expensive but it's vacation. :) We stopped at the smoothie bar right after and got a yummy fresh fruit smoothie.
The alcohol at the resort is top notch. Espresso Martinis are really good and the wine was decent. We brought $100 in ones to give tips but we never felt pressured to tip.

Other things to mention: On our last night there we had a salamander in our bedroom on the wall next to my wife’s side of the bed. Around 1AM We called housekeeping to come and get it out. They came after about 1/2 hour and could not catch it so they offered us another room to stay in and they were very nice about it.

We had a junior suite. DO NOT waste your money by upgrading. You don't need it. The junior suite room is perfect. Also, avoid the swim up rooms. Everyone can see your business.

It is very muggy in the rooms. All of our clothes had a damp feeling and damp smell. Even when we came home everything had this damp smell that seemed to linger even after washing our clothes.

We also stayed at the Secrets Excellence in Riviera Maya and this hotel is almost the exact same place however, I would prefer the Secrets for the following reasons: Better entertainment at the main pool and at night and more wait staff to bring food and drinks while at the beach and pool.

Overall I really loved this place and would stay there again.
If you are looking for a nice, quiet, adult only, five star and all inclusive resort then you should stay here.

Room Tip: Get the Jr. Suite room. Don't pay for upgrade. It's not necessary and doesn't add any re...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank greenslinky
NJ
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is our 4th stay at EPM and it's really hard to find things to complain about. This is why we keep coming back. The overall experience is just so nice. The addition of the pizza oven by the pool is fantastic. That guy made pizza's non stop. They are worth a little wait if you have to, but they come out quick. Tip the poor guy a couple bucks, he works so hard !

We were happy to see Adrian and Edwin (our favorites) still there and always energetic, and fun no matter when you talk to them. The activities are fun and the beach party and Mexican fiesta are also very good. They upgraded the food offerings and it was a really nice time.

I think after 3 previous stays at this resort and 9 stays overall at Excellence resorts, I had hoped to get a room upgrade. I e-mailed the hotel prior to our star requesting a top floor room with the outdoor plunge pool, but still we did not get that, or any high floor room. I really wish they would reward their loyal patrons better. We have brought other couples with us as well.

My only complaints was again the teeny pillows on the bed. They are crazy small and although i requested feather pillows which they brought immeiately, but they were still the same size. you need 3 pillows on the bed each in order to sleep. Also, the shower. There was always hot water and the shower area is beautiful, but the water would cycle hot / cold non stop.

Other than that, the hotel is beautiful, clean and each time we go back, from the second you walk in and are greated warmly, we are relaxed and happy to be there.

Do go and give it a try. We go to Mexico 2x a year and this is the nicest resort we have been to.

4 Thank fluffyges
Essex
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Travelled from UK and stayed for 14 nights (May 7-May 21). My wife and I travel all over the world and have been coming to the Caribbean and Mexico Riviera Maya twice a year for the last nine years, so we think that we can be fairly objective with our views. This is a very elegant stylish top end establishment. We were made to feel very welcome on our arrival and were checked in politely and efficiently. The guest rooms are of a very high standard, spacious, comfortably furnished, spotlessly clean with all the amenities that one expects of a hotel of this rating. Turn down service is provided every evening which is a very nice touch. The public areas and grounds are immaculately maintained with great attention to detail and hygene. We found the standard of cuisine in the restaraunts to be of a very high standard with a wide choice of dishes. There is a dress code stated for each of the restaraunts and which the staff make sure is adhered to which is a good thing, (other establishments that we have stayed in state a dress code but it is not always enforced, I for one do not expect to dine in a five star hotel with persons who look as though they have just walked in from the beach). Waiters in all of the restaraunts at EPM are very professional, efficient, polite and friendly without being over the top. Special thanks to Nelson and the lady (whose name we have unfortunately forgot) who worked alongside him in the Toscana at breakfast and lunch. Drinks served are all top shelf brands and the service in the bars and on the beach is really excellent, special thanks to Raoul and Fidel on the beach who both serve a cool Bloody Mary!! Also thanks to concierges Vilma and Laura very kind and helpful. Entertainment is of a very high standard with a show in the theatre every night. The guests staying at EPM are a good mix of of age ranges. We have stayed at many five star adult only establishments including Sandals Grande Antigua, Sandals Royal Caribbean Jamaica and many on the Riviera Maya including the following, Excellence Riviera Cancun, Secrets Capri 3 visits, Secrets Maroma Beach 3 visits, various El Dorado hotels. Secrets Maroma was always our preferred hotel on the Mayan Riviera but apart from the beach at Maroma we consider Excellence Playa Mujeres to be superior to Secrets Maroma, it has just got that extra something. We will be paying a return visit and will not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

8 Thank Essexvacationer
White Lake, Michigan
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I traveled to EPM April 11, 2013. This was our 2nd time at this resort and certainly will not be our last. In fact, we have already booked again for 7 nights over Christmas!

I had sent an email to the hotel prior to our arrival requesting the same building and room (if possible) we had stayed in on our previous visit in 2011. I received a quick response from Vilma at the resort assuring us that our request would be noted and granted if at all possible.
We arrived late afternoon and quickly made it through customs. We located our transportation and had a short wait for our private transfer. On this trip we used Olympus which was booked through Cheap Caribbean along with the air and hotel. Honestly, for future trips I will book transportation through Cancun transfers which we have used on previous trips and prefer to Olympus.

Upon arriving at the resort, we were greeted with "Welcome Home" and handed cool towels and flutes of sparkling wine by a smiling bellman. We had a short wait in the lobby and then were escorted to the EC Club for check in.

We were checked in and informed that our request for building 8, room 8366 had been noted but was not available until Saturday. We were assigned a room in building 9 and given the option to relocate to our requested room on Saturday which we immediately agreed to. I can not stress enough how gracious, friendly and accomadating the entire staff of the EC Club are.
We were taken to our room in building 9 and given a quck refresher tour. We were pleasantly surprised to see the mattress topper we had requested via email was already on the bed along with a welcome letter from Virgina the General Manager and return guest gifts; eye masks and passport covers. The fresh flowers were lovely along with the bottle of sparkling wine and bowl of fresh fruit. It was just as we had remembered from our last visit.

During our stay we had an excellent dinner at Agave, the Mexican restaurant. The Mayan Coffee is not to be missed. Chez Isabelle had the most scrumptious appetizer crepes! My husband was slightly disappointed that they no longer had venison on the menu but was happy with the salmon. We are not big on buffets in general so did not partake of the breakfast or lunch buffet at Toscana. Overall, the food is very good and the portions are generous. I can not think of one meal we did not enjoy and that includes Room Service which we mainly used for breakfast and the occasional late night snack. We had wonderful service at the Martini and Revive Bar.

The evening shows are entertaining along with the wonderful live music in the central plaza. We did not see every show as all that laying around on the beach or by the pool while imbibing frosty beverages was just exhausting!! A special shout out to Adan at the EC Bar for keeping us well hydrated,

I definately have to mention the housekeeping staff. We made arrangements at check in to have our room cleaned around 9:00 AM and turn down service at 7:00 PM and that's exactly what we got. Our room was kept spotless with plenty of fluffy towels and fresh bath products. The Mini Bar was also kept well stocked with assorted beverages and snacks.
I was happy to spend my days reading on the beach or by a pool. My husband on the other hand is a lot more active and spent his time socializing and deep sea fishing. That is one of the main things we love about EPM; you can be as active or inactive as you like while being spoiled rotten by the amazing staff in a beautiful setting. We never had a difficult time finding a sunny or shady place to lounge on the beach or at the pool.

I would highly recommend EPM to anyone looking for a fantastic vacation in paradise with delicious food, icy cold premium libations and a luxurious, unpretentious setting with a staff that will bend over backward to exceed your expectations. The only Con I can think of was having to check out and leave!!

Room Tip: EC Club is definately worth the extra money. Building 8b, floors 3 or higher has the best central l...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank vvanders1
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My wife and I traveled from May 4-11 for our 5 year anniversary. I will only cover the highlights of our trip as pretty much everything wonderful has been said a thousand times about this resort ( which are all true). First we booked through Tropical Travelers and not only were their prices the best but the personalized service was outstanding. I made a room request through out TA and she made sure we were in what I think was the best non-excellence junior suite 7323. We had a wonderful view of the ocean and we were centrally located to everything. For my wife and I everything was perfect. The food was good and Basmati, Spice, Chez Isabelle, and the Flavour Market stood out to us. There were a few people who went out of their way to make our trip very memorable. Ceasar at the Martini Bar, David at Cafe Kafe, Jesus and Fidel working the beach all made our trip special with their wonderful attitude and excellent service. I wish I could have tipped these guys much more than I did. They all always had a smile on their face and it amazes me that out of everyone they come in contact with they always remembered my wife and I. My wife and I will definitely be back. If and only if I had to find something wrong with this resort it is that when my wife ordered a drink and they poured it into the tall glasses the straws were to short and tended to disappear in the glass. This should let you know what kind of resort EPM is. Feel free to PM me with any questions about my TA or the resort as I would be happy to answer them.

Room Tip: 7323 has a wonderful ocean view for a non-excellence club junior suite.
9 Thank RDL62584
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#5 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,398 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!