“Beautiful resort but not without communication issues” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Excellence Playa Mujeres

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Beautiful resort but not without communication issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed 14 nights in April in 8b EC swim-up. We were married at ERC last year and planned to spend our 1st anniversary at EPM since it was so highly recommended. We emailed weeks in advance to request the anniversary package with the date and time we wanted our dinner on the beach like we did last year at ERC.

To begin on a positive note, the resort is gorgeous and meticulously kept. We stayed in 8b which we requested via email weeks before our arrival. Very happy with the location. We paid for the EC Club upgrade and felt it was well worth the extra attention and amenities. The ocean was warm and clean, never a problem with seaweed. The beach parties were beautifully decorated and a lot of fun. The Mexican Fiesta night was stunning. Hardly ever a wait for dinner. Breakfast and lunch buffet was fantastic, so many choices. Room service was on time and food was hot. Thought the food at most restaurants were terrific and the service was attentive. No problem finding loungers by the EC pool or EC beach. The staff everywhere within the resort were always smiling and friendly. My husband golfed a few days and loved it, though he had to call the club from the lobby on two occasions because he was left waiting to be picked up even though he pre-arranged a pick up time. Took the ferry to Isla Mujeres and rented a golf cart, had a wonderful lunch. It was alot of fun and the views were breathtaking. The weather was perfect, 85-95 degrees every day, no rain. The rooms were beautiful though don't understand what they were thinking when designing the bathroom area. Our request of a mattress topper and extra pillows were in place upon arrival. Housekeeping was always immaculate. A one time request through EC concierge that coffee and juice be delivered at 6am every morning and placed in our "box" for our 14 night stay worked out perfectly. We loved the bed on the patio, nice touch. EC pool concierge (Maria?) went above and beyond to make our stay confortable. Manual and Mariana(?) at the EC beach were fantastic.

We were disapppointed that we never heard from Vilma to confirm our weeks in advance email requests for our anniversary dinner on the beach. Left three messages in the main lobby after we arrived but never had a response. Brought this problem to EC concierge, they said they all work together and would take care of it. Was then told 9:15pm was the only time available even though I emailed in advance our request for the date and time we wanted. I even sent them copies of all the emails sent before we arrived so they'd know I prearranged our dinner. Because 9:15pm was too late a time for us, EC suggested Chez Isabelle and two hours before dinner were told we'd be charged $100 for the wine. We said no thanks and we'd just go to another restaurant, no big deal, but they insisted we go anyway and would waive the fee. We felt at odds with this but went anyway and it was fantastic, but it wasn't our dinner on the beach. Went to the spa a couple of times and it was wonderful.

A tray of drinks were spilled on my husband and they were all apologies. No problem for us because these things happen. After three days I asked EC concierge if anyone was going to come and pick-up the clothes and have them cleaned. Two people were immediately sent to our room and we were told it would be complimentary (well, of course), though upon checkout they tried to charge us for this.

The day AFTER our anniversay a banner was placed on our door, even though we asked for it sooner.

A few days before we left our TV broke and was replaced within hours but noticed our Iphone charger in the wall mysteriously "disappeared".

Dined at the Tapas bar and before the first course we found a substantial piece of broken glass on our plate (the size of a quarter), presumably from an accident that occured when setting up. They were all apologies but still, it could've been a major issue had we swallowed glass.

Turn down service was not every evening, but when we did have it we were delighted with the towel art and the yummy desserts. VERY loud music could be heard coming from The Beloved some afternoons/evenings at the pool. Bar service at EC beach was slow some days due to lack of staff, though Manual and Julian were absolutely terrific. Mini-bar was not refilled daily. Never saw Virginia even though we were told she sought out repeat guests. Didn't feel as special as we did at ERC.

We couldn't watch the masters on the tv in the lobby, they didn't have the channel. Husband was beside himself, though concierge did sent an ipad on the last day for him to watch it from the pool. Nice touch and greatly appreciated.

A special thanks to Juan at Agave, Jorge at Chez Isabelle, Ivan at Tapas, Santos at the Toscana Buffet, Jamie, Adan, and Julian at the EC pool bar, and Caesar at Cafe Cafe. All the EC Concierge staff at the pool and club worked very hard and were extremely pleasant which made our stay wonderful.

All in all we had a fantastic time. I would love to go back to this resort but....not sure. I wonder if I'll hear from Excellence about some of the issues in this review.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sandi M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,996)
  • Korean first
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Myself and my husband travelled to EPM at the end of April for 2 weeks to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and had the most perfect holiday.

The rooms are amazing and unbelievably clean. Personally we thought the bed was extremely comfortable. I loved the day bed on the balcony – that is what I’m missing the most!

We were blown away by the quality of the food, as we were there for 2 weeks we tried every restaurant and every meal was perfect.

The staff are amazing and are what really makes this resort stand out. They are all so professional and happy in their job. Extra thanks to Luis, Oscar and the lady waitress in Basmati, Gloria and Lorenzo at Toscana, Cezar at the Martini Bar, Maria at the beach and the Pizza guy who works so hard next to the oven in the heat. Also, the guys who replenish the towels by the pool and the cleaners, it is these staff which keep the resort so great but don’t usually receive any acknowledgement. There were many others who made our holiday special but we did not catch all of their names.

We really enjoyed the entertainment with our favourites being Gustavo, Madonna and Arty the Magician.

If the management are reading this review, there is only one improvement I could suggest – please make the Tamarind Margaritas available at all bars rather than just Agave – they were amazing! Otherwise everything was perfect.

We usually never return to the same place again as we like to travel the world however we are already planning our trip next year as I don’t think anywhere could top EPM!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank RLM86
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We just returned from our six day stay and it was amazing! We traveled with another couple and stayed from May 12-18. We have stayed at Excellence in Punta Cana so we knew service would be amazing. As soon as we arrived we were greeted with a cool scented towel and a glass of champagne. We felt very welcomed. We arrived after check-in time so we were taken to our room right away. The room was very nice, similar design to most resorts but still nicer. The difference for me is that the bell boy gave us a tour of the room which I thought was nice. We did not upgrade our room but still had bottles in our room, we were happy with that. The staff/service was wonderful!! They really make you feel welcome and seem very genuine to want to help. Every staff member you come across says hello. Food-Most of the days we were there we ate lunch at The Olas. Emilio, King of the Olas, took care of us every time we ate there. He was great. We ate at the Lobster House twice, themed night on the beach, The Grill and Barcelona. The Paella at Barcelona and the lobster at the Lobster House were delicious!! Drinks-drinks were always enjoyable. I really liked the “Drink of the Day”. We were pleasantly surprised when Cesar from the Martini Bar and Rodrigo from the Pool Bar remembered us. Pool-Cindy and Fidel took care of us at the pool and were very attentive. The pool was very clean and nice. The staff/service of the resort does little things that set them apart from other resorts. We have stayed at different resorts and for me Excellence is by far the best.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank marg2561
Allen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a quick trip to EPM. It was our first visit and many will follow. This is a long review… so be warned!

I will start by saying that we did some research for about 4 months looking for a resort. We have been down in the Puerto Morales area, staying previously at El Dorado Casitas. While we enjoyed that resort we still wanted to try another location. Draw back from the El Dorado Casitas was the beach. I wanted to see turquoise water. We also like staying at adult only all-inclusives. We settled on EPM and the reviews and forums on Trip Advisor helped us tremendously. The next task was securing a reservation. I searched all over the internet and even contacted our local travel agent. I found the best deal at the time of booking was through CHEAPCARIBBEAN.COM. We booked an “Excellence Club” Swim-up Suite and added on the airport transfers.

We arrived on Mother’s Day, May 12th and sadly had to go home on Thursday May 16th. Was this enough time? I would say for us, yes. We live in Dallas so it is a quick 2 hr 20 minute flight. We left Dallas about 9:30am and we landed about 12 noon.
When we arrived at the airport we were directed through customs. It can be a lengthy process depending on how many flights arrive at the same time. Our lines were not too long. I would say less than 10 minutes. When we departed DFW we were given “tourist card” forms as we boarded the plane. This can also be given to you at the ticket counter or while on the airplane. Fill it out ahead of time and be sure to complete the area on the bottom. If you get up to the customs counter without it being filled out completely you will have to leave the window and go completed it and then come back. Questions on the form include: name, country of origin, passport number, place where you are staying, dates.. etc. After the immigration officer has stamped this card it is separated/torn and the bottom have is yours which you MUST KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE AND DO NOT LOSE IT. YOU WILL BE ASKED FOR THIS DOCUMENT WHEN YOU DEPART MEXICO. I suggest keeping it inside your hotel safe along with your other important items. As you leave the customs area you will go and retrieve your luggage from baggage claim. Then you proceed to another agent who looks over your information and then has you push a button which determines if your luggage is randomly searched or not. A green light means you are closer to you first cocktail. A red light means you have to open your luggage and have it searched. Be prepared with your luggage keys if you happen to get the red light.

Once you pass through all of that you walk thru the double doors to the airport lobby where there are dozens of people trying to sell timeshares and offer free transportation. I found them very irritating and they come right up to your face asking what company is your transport; acting like they are assisting you. Do not answer them, do not give eye contact just keep moving. Soon you will be outside and then you will find your transportation hook up. We had transportation with Olympus Tours and our travel information instructed us to look for a representative wearing a bright orange shirt. They were basically standing right in front of us as the doors opened and we were instructed where to go from there.
If you want to bypass this wait time getting on your transfer ride, then you should purchase a private transfer. They are a bit more costly but there is nothing worse than having a husband who is sweating have to wait. I think we waited for 10 – 15 minutes while the transfer company took your information and then “created a ride” to the hotel with three other couples and a screaming child. They try to fill up their vehicle with people in the same area. Can’t blame them for that. However if you are out on that method then book yourself a private transfer. From the time we landed until the time we were in our transfer it would say it was about 45 mins.
As it turned out we just had to make one stop along the way to let the two couples and the screaming child out. While we were driving I was just thinking to myself this is why we book adult only resorts.

We made a brief stop to Villa de Palmar. Then we were on our way. By the time we arrived at our destination I would say it was a good 40 minute drive from the airport. The newlyweds in the back were really cute. You can usually always tell who the newlyweds are. As we got closer to EPM, there are two secure entrances and the driver has to give your names to pass through the gate as the vehicle enters the property. You feel safe knowing that you are in Fort Knox.
As we drove up to the hotel you can already see the bellman coming towards the vehicle with a wonderful silver tray of cool towels and a “welcome home” greeting. Our bags were unloaded and were directed into the hotel lobby area. The bellman knew we were EXCELLENCE CLUB and had us sit in the main lobby for a very short wait as checking into the resort through the Excellence Club is a different area from the non Excellence Club. Soon we had glasses of champagne in our hands and “Cesar” came up and introduced himself to us, advising he would be taking us and our luggage to the exclusive EXCELLENCE CLUB check-in. He said it was a short walk. We headed down the elevators, passing the Martini bar and went outside. Cesar is telling us about the property as we walked along. When we got to the EXCELLENCE CLUB, he has to open the door with room key type access. He leaves the luggage outside. We are told to help ourselves to the assorted snacks or get a drink from the bar. The club room has several seating areas, big screen TV, dining tables. It was nice getting the preferential treatment. It also has three sit down desks for “check-in”. Soon after looking around the room we were taken to a desk for check in.

Due to conversations I had in the “Trip Advisor forum” months before our trip, I had learned valuable information about the best locations for our accommodations. There are 14 hotel different buildings throughout the property. A resort map is on EPM’s website. As I stated we booked an Excellence Club Swim Up. About 2-3 weeks prior to our trip I emailed Vilma Montalvo the Lobby Concierge (playamujeres@excellence-resorts.com) to request building 8A. I thought this location would be great for us with the lazy river directly out of the back sliding door, and the Excellence Club pool and bar right outside of the front door. A shout out and thank you to PewterTA for suggesting this. Vilma will write you back, introduce herself and note your request in your booking. The requests are only requests and they will try to do their best to accommodate you if it works out. It all depends on availability at the time you arrive at the resort. Coming in on a Sunday I was thinking we might have some luck because there are generally a lot of people checking out of the resorts on Sunday. I also wrote Vilma back requesting that a foam mattress topper be placed onto our bed. We heard the beds were hard. She wrote back and sent me their pillow menus. WOW… I ordered 3 different pillows.
By the time we checked in at the Excellence Club Concierge it was about 1:30. When our check in hostess was going over the resort map she circled the building were our room was located. 8A. I was so excited I nudged my husband telling him that was the building I requested. I was so thrilled. Our room wasn’t quite ready which we expected so we were told to go grab some lunch and check back. I wanted to walk around the building where our room was to be located and saw one of the room attendants delivering 3 different pillows to this one room…. I just knew it was our room. Room #8060 We decided to eat lunch at THE GRILL and walked over admiring the well kept grounds and beautiful property. The lunch experience was wonderful. We were given a table up closest to the view of the beach. White table cloths and excellent service. We had a fabulous lunch and we were impressed with the food.

When we checked in at Excellence Club we were given one of our room keys so we could get back into the Excellence Club. So after we ate we walked back to see if “our room” was ready. What a delight when we were told yes, our room #8060 was ready for us. Wow.. #8060. I’m very impressed with Vilma. Thank you so much. We were escorted over with our luggage and given some information about the room. We quickly unpacked and by this time it was about 2:30 or so. We spent the rest of the day laying out by the pool by our private swim out patio. We really enjoyed ourselves and I couldn’t get over the fact that after all that research I was finally there.

Hits and Misses:

Restaurants:
The restaurants we were able to eat at were- Agave, Spice, Lobster House and Toscana and The Grill. All were hits except for The Lobster House, which was a miss. My husband and I were not impressed with the quality of food at the Lobster House. We thought Toscana was best. The breakfast buffet at Toscana was also a hit with us. We never had a wait when we went to dinner except for the Lobster House. We probably had a 15 minute wait for the Lobster House, we were given a pager. We went to dinner about 7pm every day. The portions might appear small but they were adequate and I know they portions are way to big here in the good ol USA.

They had a hamburger area on the beach were you can get a good burger at lunch. We enjoyed the burger. One day they had a Taco buffet on the beach. Again, great food. Ate the pizza.. great pizza.

Tuesday night was a Caribbean Beach Party.. they go to a lot of trouble setting up for the different events on the beach. They bring out the speakers, stage, tables, and lay out all the food. We stopped by here after dinner and enjoyed ourselves.

Drinks:
All hits. My husband had two bottles of Tres Generaciones Tequila delivered to his room upon request. Thank you Excellence Club.. HA HA. I tried as many drinks as I could and loved them all. We both felt that the bar near our hotel room, the Cielo Bar, had a better tasting drink than the Blue Bar. The Blue Bar is the swim up bar in the main pool and the Cielo Bar is the private Excellence Club bar closest to our front room entrance. The Martini Bar had some good martinis. We tried the Chocolate, French, Pineapple martinis. All enjoyable.

Beach:
The beach was hit and miss. LOL. Loved the smooth powdered white sand. So fine! We knew about the sea weed before we got there. We didn’t see any sea weed at all the first day. The water is really refreshing and water shoes are NOT needed. The second day there was not any sea weed either. But the next two days the sea weed appeared and it was a constant battle for the tractor that kept going up and down the beach trying to get it out of the way. It doesn’t keep anyone out of the water it is just annoying. Being in the Excellence Club we had our own roped off area with wooden beach chairs and palapas. The Excellence Club attendant comes and puts the towels down and basically makes up your loungers. Very nice. However don’t think you can go and save a thatched beach bed/palapa or covered loungers unless you plan on staying there. For this reason one morning we ordered room service breakfast. My husband made his way down to the beach about 7:15a and saved a beach bed while I ate, then I went down and traded places with him so he could eat and then he soon joined me. The rest of the nice beach beds and shaded loungers were taken by about 8:45a. We spent the whole day there. Had pizza for lunch and drinks all day long. It was enjoyable watching the parasailing, wave runner action, kayaking and Hobie Cats. Some snorkeled.

Spa Treatment:
The spa treatment we had was a big hit. We booked our spa treatment at 10am the first morning we were there (I did this online prior to arrival 20% discount) . It’s best to get this done before one of you gets too much sun. Every treatment at the spa includes a session of the Aqua Wellness at no additional cost. This was heavenly … I cut and pasted this out of their spa booklet

AQUA WELLNESS *Every treatment at Miilé includes a session for the Aqua Wellness.
SPA means “salute per aqua”. We have given a whole new sense to this word with our exclusive Aqua Wellness. This circuit lets you work directly with salt water in aqua exercises, massages with jets, and cascades, which contrast with the iced pool and make the perfect preamble to the Hammam, our arab style steam baths. This area also includes dry saunas, ice room and the biothermic and sensations showers. Followed by a scalp and neck massage.
This was sensational. My husband and I enjoyed this immensely. You are wearing your bathing suits during this treatment. Afterwards we followed up with a couples Swedish massage. We were taken upstairs to our own special suite. This was probably the best massage I ever had. I can’t say enough about it and there is no pressure to buy anything or rebook. It was very relaxed.

Entertainment:
We were so tired it was hard to stay up for the 9:30pm entertainment. We did catch some of the magic show on Tuesday and part of the circus on Wednesday. Just sitting at the Café Kafe’ after dinner was enjoyable listening to the local entertainment. From the shows we did see I would say they were hits. Sorry we missed the Michael Jackson show on Thursday night as I hear that is incredible.

THE ROOM-
The Excellence Club – Junior Swim-Up Suite:
This was a big hit. Upon arrival you will notice the fresh smell in the room, and the cleanliness. It was everything I dreamed it would be and more. There were towel swans on the bed with rose petals and a rose. There was champagne on ice. Going out of the back patio door to our patio was nice and convenient for us. We never felt we didn’t have any privacy. My husband walked out and tried to look in with the curtains open and the treatment on the sliding glass door was dark enough you couldn’t see in. The mini fridge was well stocked and there were five bottles of liquor saying “Open me first!!”… I enjoyed the Bvlgari VIP Toiletries. Included were shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soap. Also included next to the toiletries we found: a comb, toothbrush, razor, vanity kit, shoe shine, mending kit, shower cap, Colgate toothpaste. I had heard that several complained that their hotel rooms were not serviced until after noon. For this reason we requested that our room be cleaned before noon. Our room was cleaned every day before noon. No complaints there. We had the foam topper placed onto the mattress. I thought the bed was comfortable and the sheets were smooth and creamy. Each night the attendant provided us turn down service, with a list of the next day’s events, candy and your remote control right on top of the bed. Very special touch was the little ceramic trumpet player figurine. I brought some clothes pins that I used to secure the blackout drapes. I hate for light to come through. The only thing I have to say negative about this service to the room was the very last night we were there we had our towels replaced, draperies closed, lights turned on. But there was no turn-down bed service (lots of pillows to remove) and the mini fridge wasn’t stocked. Not that it needed to be fully stocked since we were leaving the next morning, but we completely drank all the bottled water and it would have been nice to have a few bottles. Of course, we know we could have called the Excellence Club and they would have corrected any of this… really not necessary.. I can take my own pillows off and get a bottle of water if I wanted.. but I really felt the room attendant let us down on that last night and you should get the same treatment the whole time you are there.. Not just up until your last afternoon. Oh the bathroom situation was not a big deal for us.

The TWO STORY ROOFTOP TERRACE SUITES… we never saw anyone out on their balconies on the two story level. I can’t imagine anyone really getting a lot of use out of these suites. For us it would have been too much back and forth up and down the stairs/elevator getting drinks or going to pools/beach or dinner. Plus we would have been so hot on the rooftop. They look really cool but I would only book a swim-up suite or a junior suite. All of the rooms are identical no matter if they are a swim -up, regular suite or two story rooftop suite.

Building Location:
We were in building 8A. Our location was perfect. In the evenings before dinner it seems like we were the only ones there! So peaceful and quiet. We noticed you could hear the evening entertainment if you were in building 7. Buildings 1-6 are centered around the spa and it seemed pretty quiet over there when we were out for our strolls. Buildings 2 & 3 would have been a nice walk for us to the main pool or beach. No thank you! Building 9 gets the morning sun (those facing the beach)… so it can get hot over there in the morning. There is no such thing as an Ocean Front room. If you have a swim up suite in building 8A you can “see” the water.. but like I said.. there are no ocean front rooms. We did not see inside the Honeymoon Suite or Imperial Suite.

Pools and Lazy River:
They were a hit.
I would like to know why the person who built the designs on this resort didn’t connect the lazy river to the main pool.. making a big circle. Our room had a lazy river right out the back door. As I looked at the site on Google Maps/Earth, it appeared that the lazy river just flowed right over to the main pool.. No, you would have to get out of the lazy river, walk a few steps and then get back in the water to float over to the swim up Blue Bar. I’d rather be lazy and just float over without having to get out of the water. There are lots of nice blue floats available to lie on as you are in the water. We brought a pink chair float at Wal-Mart for about $6. I like to be able to sit up as I am floating. The chair float also had cup holders which were very useful. The water was very refreshing. It was nice jumping in there without feeling that cold shock. We had a private pool out of our front door for Excellence Club members only. We never went in that pool or laid by it. No reason.. we just enjoyed lying out on the loungers from our swim-up suite. The chair people are out early marking their territory. The only chair police I saw where in the Excellence Club beach area. It can be annoying but we had our own private loungers with our swim-up suites.

General Service:
This was a hit.
We ordered room service several times.. the sandwiches are delicious and they came very quickly.
Anytime my husband made a stop in the Excellence Club or called for service, I would say that the service was excellent. We did have a few issues that were our fault. Our room all of the sudden on the first day started getting warm. The air conditioner wasn’t even blowing at all. “Oh great!” we thought as we kept trying to adjust the thermostat. My husband called Excellence Club and they asked us if there were any doors or windows open. If one the doors (spa door) or the sliding glass door is open, and then the air shuts off automatically. My husband didn’t know I had opened the spa door earlier when we first arrived. OOPS! We got a laugh over that one. Another issue that was our fault is that we were not getting hot water in the shower. We were thinking, “lots of people must be showering at the same time”.. it was around 5pm. The water wasn’t cold it was lukewarm.. but still chilling for me. We shrugged it off the first day. The second day we noticed in the morning that the water was still cool. As I brushed my teeth in the sink I noticed the water in the sink was really hot.. now this didn’t make much sense… My husband stopped off at the Excellence Club to see about this. We were asked if we had the knobs turned the right way. Well, yes… we know how to turn water on. We are almost in our 60’s. How crazy where they to even suggest that. They would send someone over to check on that! We strolled back to the room and my husband re-checked the knobs. Seems we were turning them the wrong way… LOL…. Oh boy.. did we get a laugh out of that. It was like the opposite of what we were used to here at home. Our fault… He quickly called Excellence Club to let them know all was well. They were probably thinking.. CRAZY AMERICANS!!! Be sure and bring lots of dollar bills for tipping. You can see how hard these people work. Especially the girls who bring drinks to the people on the beach. That is hard work walking through the sand.

Bottom line is that this resort wants to please you and asks you again if you need anything else. They want you to be happy. Please do speak up if something isn’t to your liking… and if you don’t speak up then shame on you!!

Questions to myself:
Would you return? - Oh yes we would return. The only thing we wish was different was the beach. I would have preferred a more turquoise type of beach… and again there is the sea weed.. but you have to say.. is that anything that would keep you away? My answer is no. So yes … we would return.

Would you recommend the Excellence Club and why?
I see a lot of reviews where people say it isn’t worth it. I really wonder if they know what the advantage is. We loved having the preferential treatment when we arrived. The superior toiletries, upgraded mini bar, premium liquor service (as evident by the tequila my husband had delivered), superior room service menu, private concierge, fresh fruit daily, beach bag, shoe shine service, fresh flowers and champagne upon arrival, pillow menu (be sure and ask to see this before you go!), in room internet (there is internet though out the property but in the room is a nice touch!), daily newspaper delivery, daily petite fours delivery. We paid good money for our vacation and like to enjoy all the special touches.

What about the loud parties at the swim up bar and all the drunk people?
We didn’t see this. We did see a few groups of people having a good time but as far as swimming up to the swim up bar for a drink we didn’t have a problem at all. Perhaps all the good time party people are there on the weekend. We arrived on a Sunday and left on a Thursday so we didn’t see any of this. Nor did we think the music was loud or obnoxious.

Building Location:
We were in building 8A. Our location was perfect. In the evenings before dinner it seems like we were the only ones there! So peaceful and quiet. We noticed you could hear the evening entertainment if you were in building 7. Buildings 1-6 are centered around the spa and it seemed pretty quiet over there when we were out for our strolls. Building 9 gets the morning sun (those facing the beach)… so it can get hot over there in the morning. There is no such thing as an Ocean Front room. If you have a swim up suite in building 8A you can see the water.. but like I said.. there are no ocean front rooms.

The Sad Goodbye!
Our transportation picked us up from the hotel/resort at 9:20am for our 12:55pm flight and we sadly had to say our goodbyes. The bellman came to get our luggage promptly at 9:10am. Be sure to go in and settle your final bill prior to leaving. While we didn’t venture out of our hotel, there is a lot of duty free shopping and deals at the airport. So if you are looking for that airport gift allow for browsing time and get your take home gifts there. I saw some people miss their flight due to them not paying attention. (Shopping or in the bars). We had sticker shock at the $16 margarita at Jimmy Buffett’s

For those of you who are complainers about the property I have a few things to say:

If something didn’t meet up to your expectations what did you do about it? If you mentioned it and then nothing was done then a complaint or gripe about it is warranted. Otherwise this is your fault.

If you don’t like to hear loud music then why didn’t you request a room/building in one of the quieter locations? Buildings 1-5 are off in the distance away from “the action”. Do your homework! However I will add that it is a good distance/walk to get to the beach if you pick rooms in this location.

The Beach: Talk to Mother Nature

The Weather: Talk to Mother Nature and if you talk to her, get her number for the rest of us. The weather was beautiful the whole time were there. Breezy on the beach. No sweater needed at all.

Wedding Parties: Weddings do happen. That is a big money maker for the resort. People will be loud and rowdy. I see it, I get it. Go back to your room and enjoy your quiet balcony.

Singles: This isn’t a place for you to come and think you are going to be partying all night. This is a more romantic couple’s type resort. Yes, there are bachelorette parties, and mother/daughter gatherings and everyone is having a good time. But if you are looking to hook up to the action, then you need to try a different resort near the Hotel Zone. If you are coming for a wedding and you are “stuck”, well you are either a part of the wedding party, or a willing guest that didn’t do their homework. The hotel/resort is about 30 miles north of where “the action” is.

Food: We have gone to restaurants and the food can be hit or miss on occasion. What did you do about it? Did you get something else? Or did you do nothing but complain about it? We didn’t enjoy our meal at the Lobster House but sometimes things are hits and misses.. Others probably enjoyed their meals there… A matter of taste.

As I close this review I will say Trip Advisor and the Trip Advisor forum is awesome. Search around and see what your likings are. One of the best parts of a vacation is the planning. We loved EXCELLENCE PLAYA MUJERES... thanks again Vilma.

Bottom line:
"You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time."

Room Tip: Just do your homework... you will find what is best for you!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
32 Thank jefritz
Corona, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We thank the excellent staff at Playa Mujeres. My wife and I had an amazing time staying in a Swim up Suit near the Juice bar. We would also like to thank Alexandro (the bar Manager) for getting drinks for us when were in one of the pools that everyone seemed to forget about. Also we want to thank Gustavo for playing a private show for us on our last night with our big group. He was amazing. He played for almost an hour.

We can not wait to come back some day. Thanks for an amazing trip.

Allen’s

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rick A
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Most folks go to the Southern portion on Cancun for vacation. This was an unexpecte surprise North of Cancun! It's Playa Mujeres! A relatively new vacation area.
I spent my honeymoon at Excellence Playa Mujeres. It was a great trip! It was suggested that we upgrade to the Excellence Club, especially for a honeymoon, and I'm glad we did! It made it so much more intimate. Private beach, special touches in the room ie: fresh fruit daily, afternoon treats, fresh flowers in the room. I would recommend it! As far as upgrading as a non-honeymooner? I don't know if I'd spend the money again, as it was more expensive. I didn't seem like anyone had a difficult finding a place to lay on the beach, and there was always food and drink close by.
The restaurants were lovely. I wasn't crazy about the Lobster as it's Gulf lobster, not Maine lobster. Different taste. I did, however, love the French restaurant and the Asian Restaurant.
Everyone was friendly, and anything you want...just ask! It's there in a moment!
The grounds were amazingly pristine! Very pleasant just to walk around.
I would highly suggest this vacation!

Room Tip: We upgraded to Excellence Club and were in a room with a private, rooftop pool. We ended up looking...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank julietp01
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

There is really little more that I can add to a resort that has gained close to three thousand, five star reviews in less than five years but, because of the truly wonderful welcome, care and friendliness we enjoyed we feel that we must inform every one of our experience.

As my wife had a recent spinal operation I had emailed a few weeks ahead informing the resort of this and, asking if they could make this trip even more special. I was hoping for nothing more than a decorated room but what we experienced exceeded that by a long, long way. A few months earlier than that, I had emailed asking if it were possible to be accommodated in building 7B.

We had previously stayed at ERC on four occasions and had trepidations regarding trying EPM, after all, what could be better than ERC?

We arrived about 6p.m. on 02 May for fourteen nights and were swiftly shown to our room, 7321 in Building 7B. The room was magnificent, large and bright with splendid views of the ocean and Isla Mujeres beyond and, on the coffee table a bottle of sparkling wine, a bowl of fruit and a letter from the GM Virginia Amador. A few moments after the arrival in our room, in fact we were still reading Virginia’s welcome letter, we received the first example of Excellence management’s care. Daniela Parra, the newly appointed Guest Services Manager called to apologise for not being able to meet us at check-in, she asked if everything was OK and then asked where we would like to eat that night and, what time. We elected for the Lobster House as, traditionally, this was the restaurant at ERC where we spent our first dinner.

The resort is quite fantastic, different to ERC, which, by the way, does not pale in comparison. You’d be forgiven for thinking EPM was smaller, as the planting of the grounds is designed in such a way that wherever you are, you feel secluded, as the rest of the resort is out of view. This illusion is repeated throughout the resort belying the fact that EPM is larger by 10 rooms.

Apart from the architecture and layout, EPM is very much like ERC, the bars and restaurants are the same, save the addition of the Flavour Market. However, these similarities contain differences too. Each of the restaurants is larger, fresher with more tables available. The bars too are larger especially the Martini Bar where there is far more seating. The seating around CaféKafé is more generous too, though this is sacrificed somewhat on Friday evening’s to accommodate the Mexican Festival. There was only one aspect to CaféKafé’s piazza where ERC ‘edged it’ and that was the lack of large parasols to offer afternoon shade. There was nothing nicer, at ERC, than meandering back to your room, from the pool and, stopping of for a cooling drink. However, I suppose the dual usage of the piazza prevents this but, I wonder if the suggestion could be explored?

The food was something that impressed us especially the dinners. In fact on our 55th night at an Excellence resort, Basmati served us with our best meal. So good was it that we returned on our 60th night and went again on our last night (63rd).

We ate at all the restaurants with the exception of Barcelona and, we went to the 1001 Nights Dinner on the beach. There were only two less than stellar meals one, the first night at the Lobster House where, rather than two plump lobster tails, I received a whole lobster halved and, in its shell, it was quite dry too. Apparently, lobsters are out of season so I guess these were frozen? The second was at the Hibachi table in Spice where the ‘theatre’ of the meal was lacklustre and spectacle was over too quick. However, there were only four of us that night so maybe not much of an audience to play too? I spoke to Daniela about this and after a day of so she sought me out to explain that the chef was reasonably new, corrective action was in process and, she thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

But the best of EPM is the staff. From top to bottom the care, attention, concern and friendliness was always apparent.

I took time to thank Vilma, who had responded to my initial request for building 7B, for allocating us to that building. Virginia, the GM, spoke to several guests following the Manager’s Cocktail and, when she reached us chatted and, when she asked our name remembered that I had emailed. All our restaurant wait staff were wonderful but Oscar and Juan in Basmati, Lorena in Spice, Raul at Chez Isabel and Jacqueline a hostess at Toscana were outstanding. As too were Cesar at the Martini Bar and Jorge at CaféKafé. How they remember your drink after just one visit is a mystery to me?

But for us the outstanding element at EPM, the jewel in its crown, if you will, is Daniela, whose care and concern for our enjoyment was unparalleled in our experience. Almost daily she sought us out or, if we were to pass by, she would ask how we were, how was last night’s dinner. How were we enjoying ourselves and, where would we like to eat that night.

Our last meal was lunch in Toscana, where, upon leaving, my wife was touched when Jacqueline presented her with a rose. In that last half hour or so for the ride to the airport we stopped for a drink in the Martini Bar and Virginia, in passing stopped for a final chat with Jo and I. Finally, in walking through reception, Daniela spotted us and came right over and gave Jo the biggest hug. The tears then flowed.

Will we return?

Our travel agent has already been instructed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#3 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,076 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!