“"Excellence" is the perfect name for this resort”

Excellence Playa Mujeres
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Carmichael, California, United States
“"Excellence" is the perfect name for this resort”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

First of all- opting for the "excellence club" is a must! A little extra cost, but so worth it!
My husband and I travel once a year for a vacation without our kids. Sometimes with adult family or friends. This particular trip was for our cousin's 40th b-day, and our anniversary. This was our first time at an "adults only" resort. It was so quiet, and serene. Sure there is the loud music, and party atmosphere at the main pools, but if you're not into that, you can escape to the other pools, or to the beautiful beach.
The service from minute one was amazing. Staff was very attentive and accommodating.
The rooms were very clean. If you like a soft bed, you will need to ask for the pillow top, and they will add it to your bed. Room service and concierge were very timely and professional.
The mini bar in the room was well stocked, and you can request special beverages/ alcohol to your liking.
The views from the balcony are amazing (with oceanfront 3rd floor and up), as well as the view from your jacuzzi bath ( fold away glass doors). The room is a great setting for a romantic getaway.
The showers are huge, the only complaint is that the water temp in the shower does not maintain the temp you set.
The food is all very good. There are so many choices between all of the restaurants, and unlike other all inclusive resorts we've been to, there was never a wait, and no reservations needed.
The pools are refreshing and CLEAN, as are the bars.
The beach is beyond beautiful. White, powder soft sand that is sifted daily of the little seaweed that can accumulate.... But it IS a beach people... Seaweed is expected. There are a few large areas that are netted off for those of you who don't want the little fish and sealife to join you in your swim :)
If you are thinking about adding some relaxation to your relaxation- the spa is a must! The aqua wellness experience comes with the "excellence club" at no additional cost. This can be done daily! Unfortunately, we found this out a day before we left otherwise it would have been a daily ritual.
I could go on and on about how wonderful our time was at The Excellence at Playa Mujeres. Bottom line is that it is every bit of the 5 stars, and when we go back to Cancun, we will be staying at this amazing resort.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the ocean front rooms and pay the extra fee for the "excellence club&q...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elaina G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,193)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We have been here 5 times!! I can't wait to go back again, May seems like the perfect month! Perfect weather. Everyone is so friendly here. The staff can not do enough to make you happy! I enjoyed the food especially the pizza from sol bar. There are plenty of activities to do if you want. Mille spa is simply perfect! Well trained staff and a unique variety of treatments. We did not leave the resort, there was plenty to do at the resort, it's to beautiful to leave!! I recommend bringing tip money, it is not expected but the staff works so hard and I feel like they deserved a little extra! I have nothing but praise for this place and I will be back soon!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Bayer76
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Although, an avid tripadvisor reader, I have never written a review, however I was moved to actually type one up this time. The service we recieved was beyond exceptional. At arrival the front desk was helpful in arranging for our party of 6 (3 couples) to be located in the same building. Gerardo was gracious and patient in keeping our bags while we waited for the last of our party to arrive. The hotel even provided us with a cake, so that we could sing Happy Birthday once our friend arrived. Once they arrived, Gerardo gave us a tour, with some insight into the resort, as well as answered any questiosn we had. The front desk also made sure to decorate rooms for those in our party who were celebrating occasions (birthday & an anniversary). Our first night, My boyfriend had issues sleeping due to nasal surgery he had prior, so the next day the hotel lowered the temp in our room even more, and provided him with a fan and humidifier. He slept the best he's ever slept the rest of the week. The restaurants all had amazing staff, as well, and were always accomodating, especially since we were considered a larger party. I specifically would like to acknowledge Marco and Angel who were fabulous waiters, assisting us with every need, as well as their manager Armando, who oversaw that we were taken care of when we ate at the Lobster House & The Grill. Fedencio was our favorite bartender at the lobby bar, he welcomed us with our first cocktails, and said goodbye to us with our last cocktails before we had to head home. I'll agree with some post in saying that yes portions are small, so I'd advise def ordering more food then normal. I only used room service once, but it was quick. The only other annoyance was people reserving chairs early in the morning. They send an agenda everyday, and there's a note stating this is not allowed, or your stuff will be removed if you are not using it. I took note during a morning walk, of the chairs being reserved with shoes on them by the main pool, when I went to breakfast it was still there. Hours later, I noticed those shoes were in the exact same spot, and this was HOURS later!... I met another couple, who said that they moved people's stuff to the side so that they could use the chairs, since the chairs had sat there for an hour, an hour after they were laying on them (2 hours totals these chairs went vacant), the couple showed up and started shouting at them. I don't blame the hotel for this, it's just people being inconsiderate of others. Other than that, everyone was so friendly, and they really do make you feel at home. I hope that Excellence appreciates their staff, and takes care of them, since they really do make your stay. I do wish the nightlife was better, but I guess that's what you have Cancun. Also, I would not recommend booking a trip with Olympus. We booked a Catamaran to the island... and it was awful, I was sick the whole day. We would've been better off just taking a cab to the ferry, and make our own day trip. Definetly was not worth the money. But again, I don't blame the hotel for that! I'm one who likes to travel somewhere different all the time, but for the first time, I can actually say, I can't wait to go back there!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nimsaj610
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a review in three parts: the experience at Excellence Playa Mujeres resort, my perspective on the all-inclusive, and a personal message to the guests that I experienced at EPM.

First of all, my wife and I have intentionally avoided traveling to all-inclusive (“AI”) resorts for a number of reasons based on feedback from friends and admitted preconceptions, and a general dislike of large resorts. We hesitantly booked a last-minute 4 day weekend trip to EPM largely based on the glowing reviews of a good friend who assured us that EPM was a “cut above” other AI resorts. Our trip to the EPM resort was back in late January. As many have written here, the staff is extremely friendly, personable, and appear to be sincere in their attention to you. If you are there to celebrate a special event (as we were) like an anniversary, honeymoon, etc. you can expect to be treated to special consideration and perks, and lavished with attention, including a special recognition sign on your door, and letters and gifts from hotel management. So kudos to EPM for their effort here.
Unfortunately in our opinion not all is excellent at EPM. Most notably, the food is largely mediocre, nowhere near the "gourmet" characterization written by other reviewers. We noted a very heavy handiness with the salt, and after a few meals we specifically insisted that the cooks not use any salt in our requested meals. Unfortunately the lack of sodium did not improve the flavor of most of our meals. In fact, we walked out of the tapas restaurant as the first few plates were just inedible.
In addition, the service at the restaurants was for the most part disjointed. One morning for example, we had breakfast at the Lobster House and we saw one harried waiter attending to all the tables in the restaurant. It was a grueling hour plus endurance test to eat breakfast.
We did not have one close-to-memorable meal here during our 4 days.

There have been many comments written here about the beach, and the fact of the matter is that the beach here is quite sad. Seaweed piled along the shore, and throughout the water. We counted on one hand the number of individuals over the course of four days who braved the seaweed to wade in the water. Anyone who states that this is a great beach, well sorry, you just have not traveled much. It was explained to me by a staff member that the seaweed problem is a seasonal issue peaking from the fall to winter. Even in the absence of any seaweed, this is not a picturesque beach by any stretch. As we have been to Cancun several times before, the beaches are far superior in the hotel zone and areas south. On my one and only walk along the beach, I came across large shards of broken glass from beer bottles – not once but in 3 separate locations. Fortunately I did not step on the glass pieces. When I showed them to a staff member, he expressed concern in case I was injured, and apologetic explaining that unfortunately some of the guests take beer bottles to the beach.

Re the resort itself, yes the grounds are well maintained, but be aware that the pools are not heated, except for the main pool by the swim up bar where the "party till you puke" crowd likes to congregate. More on that later.

The junior suite was adequate, and we did like the spa tub with the sliding windows which open up. Thumbs up from us for the firm mattress.

Re the all-inclusive experience: we had previously avoided AI hotels based on comments from traveling friends who shared their own negative experiences and we now count ourselves in the same category. Volume is presented at the cost of quality. And when it comes to liquor at an AI, well one gets to see first-hand how volume of "free" liquor creates obnoxious, boorish and self-centered drunks.

Message to some of these boors:
- I get it, the booze is included and you paid your rate, but how about showing some discipline and not getting wasted by 2 in the afternoon, and not everyone shares in your love for 70's hair bands on your portable sound boxes cranked to the highest volume, and how about showing some consideration and not littering the property with your empty beer bottles and glasses. And, really, do you seriously think that other guests enjoy your bellicose singing in the hallways at 2AM.
And I absolutely abhor resorts where the crowd feels it is necessary to wake up at dawn and place some pathetic piece of personal property on a beach/pool chair thereby affording them mystical squatting rights. Sadly, many of these less-than-exclusive hotel properties, like EPM do very little to manage this problem.
I love to travel and revel in the many great memories that travel generates. I rarely regret my travel choices. My memory bank for EPM is empty, my distaste for AI’s confirmed, my regret for staying at EPM has now passed, and I look forward to my next trip, but I will go back to my own personal selective ways in choosing destinations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank RK502
Galashiels
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from Excellence Playa Mujeres.We had a marvellous time. Lovely food with lots of restaurants to choose from. Never had to wait any more.than 10 minutes for a table. The staff are friendly and very helpful.There is nothing any problem at any time. This was our 4th visit to Excellence an will definitely not be the last. It is like going home.!
Thank you to Virginia,Mariana and Jesus in particular, there are numerous others I could name, but would be here all day
We are a couple pushing 70, so this is not a Resort just for young people, but also for the young at heart.

Room Tip: We like block 8, but that is just because we were in that block the first time we visited.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Libby369
philadelphia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at Excellence for 8 days with our friends in February. We have stayed at almost every Adult-inclusive hotel in the Riviera Maya. This hotel is one of the best! From the people to service to food to rooms it was grand. We stayed in a 2-story terrace room and it was fabulous! Our concierge sent someone up everyday at 1:00 to heat up our pool so that when we returned later in the day it was the perfect temperature. It is some distance from most everything to do, but just rent a car and explore for a day or two. We fished a couple days with Cha Chi Fishing Charters out of Cancun. They picked us up every morning next door at the marina (which was great). We fished with Capt. Edgar and boated 15 sailfish the first day and many others the next. I would recommend Cha Chi Marina to anyone staying at this hotel. Dafne in the office was easy and friendly to deal with. No Problems at all and pick up and delivery at the hotel next door was easy. We will definitely be back next February and plan to re-new our 25th anniversary vows at Excellence.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank javajitters
Glenside, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was our first visit to this hotel, stayed at other Excellence in Riviera Maya. Both were very nice and as many others have said the people who work here are amazing. Very genuine. We liked the rooms here and outdoor space better than the one in Riviera Maya. Food was good and amenities were many.
Hope to visit again this year. My only regret was that I had fallen during my stay and had needed stiches. Went to hotel doctor and she sent me to the hospital in Cancun. The hotel nurse had said someone from management would be checking up with me but we didn't hear from anyone. I was a little disappointed at that. I was fine after the fact but someone actually just calling to see how I was doing the rest of our stay would have been a nice gesture. This incident certainly would not make us not go back here but just a little concern would have went a long way.

Room Tip: stayed in swimout loved it. People say no privacy on patio but we were in block 8 and were fine
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!