“The best yet!!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
New Lenox, Illinois
“The best yet!!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This resort stands up to its name. Excellent! The staff was the best we have ever had the privledge to meet. Especially Cesar Espinoza at the Cafe Kafe bar in the plaza courtyard area. He was so friendly but still working so very hard to make sure everyone received their drinks with out a wait. The restaurants were very tasty and service was great there too. We did the excellence club package and thought it was worth extra money for the oceanview and the wonderful Excellence private Club with drinks and snacks. Please be warned though there are no rooms that are oceanfront. We booked oceanfront and was able to see the ocean over the pools and plants but that was it. We have stayed at the Royal in Playa Del Carmen and those rooms are truly Oceanfront!! We compared this resort to The Royal and decided this resort was a tad better. That is high marks for my husband and I beacause we have been to many all-inclusives. At least two a year in Mexico and the Dominican Republic. And the Royal In playa has been our favorite for many years. If you are thinking of booking, do it! You won't be sorry you did. We did five nites and are planning to 7 nites next year.

Room Tip: building 8 has the private excellence Club in it.
3 Thank BeachloverNewLenox

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4,183)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
London
Reviewed February 22, 2013

After reading the most recent reviews and having just stayed at the Excellence last week, I felt compelled to add my comments.

We stayed at the Excellence Riviera Maya two years ago and thought that was amazing and therefore had high expectations for the Playa Mujeres. It didn't disappoint!

First of all the staff could not do enough for you and I defy you to find better service anywhere. Every staff member always greeted us with a smile and were willing to help with anything.

The hotel itself was spotless and the rooms were beautiful. Very elegantly decorated. We didn't upgrade to any special rooms and therefore it was standard but I can't imagine what else you would want. The bed was the most comfortable I have slept in with an array of pillows and 100% Egyptian cotton sheets.

We had to wait a couple of nights for our seats in the restaurants where we took the opportunity to take a relaxing drink in the Martini bar where we were well looked after. The restaurants were worth the wait. Our favourite was the Basmati and Chez Isabelle but all restaurants serve great food and where else can you eat Lobster every day of the week if you want to?

It's hard to choose between the two Excellence resorts as some parts are so similar it's like deja vu. However, I have never returned to the same resort/hotel more than once but this is definitely an exception that I hope to visit again and again.

4 Thank Magic_7174
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I would like to begin by clarifying my very good rating instead of an excellent rating. My wife and I have traveled to two other resorts in Mexico, both five star, and this one definitely compares favorably with the others. There are some things about this resort that are not as nice as the other two and there are some things that are better. I feel bad not giving it a better rating because it truly is a great place to vacation. When considering that this resort cost us about 20% more than our last trip, I expected a noticeable improvement not just advantages in certain areas. So my rating is based more on overall value compared to other places we have been than the quality of the resort. I would have given a 4.5 if that would have been available. To EPM management, the extra 1/2 point could be earned with the addition of IPA beer. I could then justify that 20%.

I have decided not to go into great detail about the food. Food is just too subjective to say it was bad or good. An example would be the sea bass at the French restaurant, I loved it, my wife loved it and relax thought it was good but not great and another guest found it to be great but he had had better. We all have different tastes and I can not decide for you if the food is good. I can, however, tell you that the atmosphere in the restaurants is very nice and unique to the each style. The staff goes out of their way to make your dinning experiences as good as they can and will even create a special dish for you if possible. I was very pleased to find a live saxophone player at Toscana's for breakfast, it sets the mood for the entire day. There is also a nice variety of choices each day. If you want you can have appetizers at one restaurant, entrees at another, and desert at yet another. No one should ever leave this resort hungry or unsatisfied.

The best thing about EPM is the staff, I know this has been said over and over but it has to said one more time. These people work so hard to make our trips as enjoyable as possible. It is the staff that separates this resort from others. It's the little things they do that make the biggest differences. My wife became very sick on our trip and Carolina at the Excellence pool (8b) inquired about her every day. When she finally felt good enough to go to the pool Carolina made her a special drink (water and some sort of mint). My wife said that it really did make her stomach feel better. Just a little thing but very sweet. Our maid came to clean the room, my wife was sick in bed but still wanted the room cleaned, she worked very quickly and was very considerate of her. It was obvious that she was trying not to be any more intrusive than needed. Carlos at the Excellence pool is a big NFL fan. His favorite team is the 49rs, If I would have had a few more days I think I could have converted him to the Lions. We had a lot of fun talking football. He would always wave and say hola using my name. Another little thing but we notice little things. The bar tender at the Excellence pool (8b) came up to me and wished me a safe trip home and welcomed me back. He made a special effort to do this, another little thing that was appreciated. ( I am sorry for not knowing his name but he is the main bar tender there). The waiter at the French restaurant remembered us from our first time there and made us a special desert, another memorable little thing. There are two things we heard from the staff daily, "Is there anything else I can do for you" and "My pleasure". This kind of stuff happened all over the resort and I believe that this why people are so loyal to EPM.

The grounds are very beautiful and well maintained. We had a little trouble finding our way around the resort the first couple of days but quickly got our bearings and had no more problems. The pools were very nice and popular on warm days. The water temperature was pleasant in the non heated pools and perfect in the heated ones. The hot tubs can get very busy about 4:00 pm, a great place to meet new people. A note to remember when using the hot tubs. Your conversations can be heard even in the surrounding rooms. We found the beach to be very nice with little to no sea weed on calm days. There is a bit more sea weed when it is windy. The staff does a great job at keeping the beaches clean.

I enjoyed the entertainment at the resort especially the live music. There was a rock and roll band on the beach one day during lunch and there is always live music at Cafe Kafe in the evening. The shows were not Broadway caliber but were very enjoyable. I had to laugh at the costume malfunctions during the Michael Jackson show. The famous Michael hand move was used to adjust zippers. Nothing inappropriate just a little funny. I had a great time at Casino night. I gambled as much as I could with their money. Big bets and going for broke is the only way to win. I had over $300,000 on the table at 4:1 odds and busted. I still managed to be the overall winner. It was a lot of fun and again you will enjoy meeting the people at your table. There are a lot of activities that you can participate in during the day, just read your daily paper for the time, locations, and requirements.

It was very nice that we were not harassed with timeshare salesman or beach vendors. There is a is a place behind the stairway in the lobby where you can purchase excursions. There is no pressure at all.

I know that there is a big difference in opinion on the excellence club upgrade. Whether it is worth it or not. I believe that I would purchase it again. It opens the entire resort to you and I totally enjoyed the excellence pool at 8b. However, I think that the roof top terraces are only worth purchasing if you are in building 8b. This requires the EC upgrade. They are the only ones that I saw that gave you the privacy that you are expecting when you purchase a RTT.

In conclusion: My wife and I had a great time at this resort, even though our trip was effectively shortened by illness. We know that the illness was not the resorts fault and will definitely consider returning here. The people that come here are very friendly and that is important to us. This has not always been the case at other resorts. It would be difficult to find a friendlier resort (staff and travelers included) but there are other resorts that compare in beauty. I have been told that fishing is best in June and July so that is probably when we will consider a return trip 2014.

I want to send a big thanks to all the TA posters. Your support, kind responses, and great information have been a lot of help to us and other readers. Hope to meet you all someday.

8 Thank DJB442
Hampshire
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is a truly luxurious hotel!!! My husband and I stayed in August for our 5th year wedding anniversary and I can honestly say it was amazing!! We had a swim-up room but after lots of resaerch we choose not to upgrade to the excellence, we were very pleased with this choice, we spoke to several people who did and they did not really seem to benefit that much! The room was gorgeous and ours was located on the lazy river, this was pefect as we tended to spend time round the main pool during the day and would then end many laps around the lazy river with easy access to the room :-)
The a la carte restuarants are lovely and the service is extremely good with little touches of the waiters knowing your name. We also really enjoyed the nightlife and entertainment which was much better than other hotels we've stayed at. The main pool is a great party pool, by the afternoon there is plenty of drinking and socialising going on, however if this is not for you there are also many 'quieter' areas. I can highly recommend the icebergs which are AMAZING!
We've stayed at many 5* resorts, including the El Dorado Casitas, I would say this was one of the best we've stayed at and would put it on par with the El Dorado!

Room Tip: If you have a swim-up room request one around the lazy river, this way you do not have other sunbeds...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This all-inclusive resort was very beautiful and it was all about the pools. The beach was so-so (water was full of plant chunks/bits washing up constantly - not enjoyable for swimming in but the pools were amazing. Ample lounge chairs and hammocks over the water were delightful and the service was (for the most part) good if you are a big tipper service can even be great. Be sure to bring everything you need with you because the "essentials" in the shops were VERY expensive. The variety of restaurants was nice but the quality of food at some was sketchy. The French restaurant was one of our favorites by far.

Rooms were very nice but felt almost too luxe considering we weren't in there much.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice you don't need to be in a specific part of the hotel...unless you're...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Julie T
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have been looking at the screen for the last 10 minutes reliving every great minute of our 10 night stay at EPM and don't know where to begin. My hubby and I have been married for 10yrs and have two young boys and needed a break. I have never reviewed a resort before and we try to travel every year to a 5 star.....So I will just get straight to the good stuff... Which for us was every aspect of this resort. If you are a couple who wants a place that is heaven on earth to relax, reconnect and feel like royalty then PLEASE don't go anywhere else but to this resort. The spa experience with the hydrotherapy before each treatment makes the experience. Between the two of us we went 5 diff times...enough said... A MUST do!....We loved the location because we didnt want a crowded loud area, we wanted a big private beach with Lots of space. If you want to be close to shopping and endless partying then stay in cancun. The food/restaurants.....great food, and the staff go out of there way to make every dining experience amazing! I am a picky eater and even I didn't get to try even half of the meals I wanted to during our stay.no boring buffet food here. And the choices.... Endless. Whatever your fancy you'll find it here with nine very different dining options. The room.... Very clean and with twice daily maid service....someone checking up on the maids to make sure there job is done great... The mini bar guy who almost dumps his entire snack, drink cart into your mini fridge daily (lol) and then asks if that is enough ?!..... And the 24 hr room service staff who are smiling like its 10 am while bringing your hubby his 2nd steak dinner in a day at 2 am.....cause yes .....the room service is THAT good. You wont get tired of the food even if you stayed a month here and you will never get tired of having your room cleaned twice a day.... Going home is a shock to the system. We had a swim up room and it was the best choice the lazy river is not heated and I don't know how people can actually complain about that.... Your in Mexico for goodness sakes... It feels so wonderful to feel the cool water on your skin...we swam the river daily. It one of the things we miss the most actually. I could go on and on.... So I will try to wrap up. The drinks are great so many choices and Great coffee and coffee drinks. You want a martini?....theres a bar for that...a coffee?....there a bar for that... A smoothie ?....theres a bar for that. And on and on ...The staff work so hard and are great so we tipped as much as we could which is still peanuts compared to what you tip at home when out. The beach was good but we loved our swim up so much we didn't stray to far from it. Met some great people and fell in love with Mexico all over again.... Will def go back and will def recommend this place. There is so much more I could say but just go there and experience it for yourself. When u first arrive they say "welcome home" and at the time you think"ahhh that's sweet" but as the days go on you actually feel like your at a home away from home. I find myself actually missing EPM and the feeling I had while there.... For me that has never happened before after returning from a trip.........

7 Thank Johncody
NYC
Reviewed February 21, 2013

First off I want to say that Excellence PM is a wonderful Resort with finely appointed public areas and a perfectly manicured landscape. Once you arrive there is no doubt that you are in a lush tropical resort with winding paths and small romantic alcoves. Although the layout of the resorts produces these romantic private areas it is not conducive to getting wonderful beach and ocean views from anywhere in the resort The only exception is for one block of rooms that faces the ocean. The eight other blocks of rooms either have resort views or views of another resort(My Beloved). There are so many things that I really enjoyed about this resort but then I had a few issues but nothing so notable that I would not recommend.

Since some reviewers just throw out their likes and dislikes. I like to give a little background on my previous resort experiences so you know where I'm coming from. Certain things are more important to different age groups and different situations. Married couple late 30's- early 40's from NYC. Well traveled throughout Caribbean and Mexico. Have been to many different Resorts some All Inclusive and some not but all are usually 4.5 and above. Like most of us life is hectic and don't have much time off so when I do I want to enjoy it.

Public Areas: Main lobby is clean, open and not cramped. First off I must commend the management and their team for keeping such a clean resort, I was thoroughly impressed.The Spa smell that permeates through the resort is great touch and is definitely not over whelming. The main lobby bar(Martini Bar) is a great spot to meet before dinner or a drink or three after. There is live music every evening and plenty of seating. Kafe Cafe is an outdoor bar that has an attentive staff and great live entertainment until 11:00 pm every night.

Pool:If you want to be in the party scene then camp out by the main pool near the pool bar and Sol Bar. That is where the you can meet new friends and enjoy a few drinks in the sun. But if you want to be more low key then you could choose from any of the other pool areas and lazy river to enjoy. I have never been to another resort that has so many areas to just relax and seem like you are in a resort of your own but then have a good mix of the party scene all in one place.

Beach: Very nice, long beach with plenty of lounge chairs and Palapas. The sand is soft and clean. The seaweed issue seems to be way overblown. They clean the seaweed numerous times during the day and it is never there long enough to smell. Water is very rough and there are no lifeguards.

Rooms: This is where I had some issues. The rooms are very large, extremely clean and roomy. The style is tropical yet contemporary. The balcony is large and has a jacuzzi that is inside room but opens with sliding windows onto balcony. The bed is hard and not plush. The pillows are small and there is a wooden shelf that the bed is against so you better watch your head. The ipod docking station will play music from Iphone but wont recognize it to charge it. So bring a charger. The mini bar is nicely stocked with beer, soda and snacks but the alcohol is def not top shelf (Smirnoff Vodka, Jim Beam Bourbon). One thing that I find extremely odd is the wall that separates you from your neighbors balcony is only about 5 feet high so privacy is definitely an issue..But even with the several dislikes I still thought the room was very nice until it comes to the bathroom. Now don't get me wrong I'm not a shy person but I do enjoy a little bit of privacy when I'm using the toilet. There is none. It is wide open through the rest of the room due to the open wall between the bathroom mirrors and the bedroom. Also the toilet door is all frosted except for 4 inches around the exterior. So you could literally see straight into toilet. But I must say the shower is awesome and roomy.

Food/Drinks: The food was definitely a bright spot. It was always presented nicely and the resort has a wide variety. The quality was fine and I enjoyed all my meals. Some of the servers were hit or miss but others were great. Pizza at the Sol Bar was fantastic as was the beach buffets.

Shows: Shows were 9:30 every evening. Extremely entertaining and performers were very talented. I believe that the entertainment was much better than any other AI that I have been to.

Staff: Always friendly, attentive and hospitable.

Spa: Excellent facility and services. We had a couples massage that we booked the day before due to the deals that are posted in the daily activities sheet. Def worth it, very relaxing.

Hopefully this review is helpful in making up your mind about this resort. I thought it was a fabulous place but had a few issues. I would absolutely recommend this resort but I would probably not be back here again because It usually takes alot for me to be a repeat customer. I think this resort is wonderful and was just what I was looking for but certain things did bother me. I would consider other Excellence Resorts in the future.

7 Thank TravelAddict403
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#6 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets The Vine Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!