In absolute terms, the Excellence Playa Mujeres isn't bad, but considering how much it costs compared to other resorts, it is definitely not worth the money.
Beach - Beautiful, well manicured
Pools - Clean, reasonably warm (given the Feb outdoor temps)
Room size and amenities - big shower, comfortable bed
Surprise upgrade - we arrived before the official check-in time, and they let us still partake in the resort's activities. When they called us for our room, they said they didn't have any of our type, so they upgraded us to a top-floor suite with a huge private balcony and private pool.
Food - their approach is quantity over quality. Lots of variety, but you can tell they're using the cheapest ingredients they can get a hold of (especially the meats, and the "tenderloin" being the biggest disappointment).
Service - the servers were pleasant and generally accommodating but I've stayed at other resorts where the staff truly wants to help you. For example, at Excellence, you'd often have to wait to get a drink at the bar not because the bartenders were helping other clients, but because they were doing something else and not really eager to serve.
Room service - The few times we used room service, we were quoted about an hour, but served in about an hour and a half. If they're going to offer it as a free service, they should do it well.
Hot tub - on our last night, we wanted to fire up the hot tub in our room. Unfortunately, when we turned it out, urine-colored liquid came pouring out. I'm sure it was just rust, but a real turn-off.
Extra charges - the day before I left, I needed to confirm my airport shuttle, so I used the hotel phone, calling the TOLL FREE Mexico number. The hotel charged $5 for a free call. That's absurd, and when I complained, they wouldn't take it off the bill, and held me hostage at the resort until I paid it. I let them know that I'll be disputing the charge with my credit card company.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury adults-only resort nestled among seven swimming pools on a powdery white sand beach, in a community that boasts a spectacular Greg Norman signature golf course. This jewel of Cancun sets a new standard of luxury for all-inclusives with finely tuned amenities such as one-of-a-kind accommodations including two-story rooftop terrace suites with a private Plunge pool, meticulous service, gourmet cuisine, an exquisite spa and the signature Excellence Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com, Savannahville Tours N.V., Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Jetsetter, HotelsClick, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Excellence Playa Mujeres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Excellence Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Playa Mujeres Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Cancun