“Perfect Honeymoon Spot!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Playa Mujeres
Allentown, Pa
“Perfect Honeymoon Spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

Can't say anything bad about this resort. My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon after our wedding in NJ the week of hurricane Sandy, so to say the least it was a much needed vacation and honeymoon!

Staff is wonderful, it definitely pays for you to upgrade for the excellence club, we highly suggest it. It will be worth the extra money. Amazing service, pools, and food. We are big foodies and travel a lot. This is by far the best all inclusive we have stayed at, and we have stayed in a few others in other countries and none can compare to the Excellence resort! Don't hesitate, you are safe going with this resort. You will be happy you did! Don't forget to upgrade! Enjoy!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Faith1103

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,996)
  • Korean first
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I just returned from EPM and had a great time!

Grounds and room beautiful. Food tasty. Pools really wonderful. Beach very good. Nightlife-not so much.

If I hadn't ever been to another adults-only, all-inclusive, I would be gushing about how amazing this resort was. And don't get me wrong, it really, really is! You won't have a bad time, I promise! But since I've been to two other resorts, I couldn't help but compare.

We went to Excellence Riviera Cancun two years ago and I'd say it was about the same as EPM. That trip we did the Excellence Club. This trip we didn't and I'm glad. Definitely not worth all that extra money!

Last year we went to Secrets Maroma and the beach, the food, and the nightlife had EPM beat.

Some small disappointments about EPM: Really, really slow service in almost all the restaurants. No where to really get your own food throughout the day other than the open area at the beach which was only so-so. Wanted coffee (loved the coffee shop at Secrets Maroma)

Nightclub-really small and super cheesy. Only went one night. The shows were also very cheesy though everyone works hard to entertain you. Seemed like the resort went to bed early so we ended up doing that too. That was okay since we were there to relax, but if you want more nightlife, this isn't the place to go.

Service around the pools and beach-sometimes it took a while for anyone to show up to offer drinks or anything, but the resort was at full-capacity.

Otherwise, all the wait staff was working super hard and hey, you're on vacation so you don't mind waiting for food too much and if you really want a drink that badly, you can go up to the bar, right?

We did the couples massage and it was very good. The hydrotherapy circuit makes me giggle-literally, I find all the bubbles really tickly. I don't understand why people like this so much. But the scalp/shoulder massage in the sun after the hydrotherapy was so relaxing and nice! I think the ERC spa probably beat the EPM one in my opinion, but both very nice.

Also, it was my husband's birthday and I emailed them ahead of time. They decorated our room with balloons and streamers on his actual birthday, brought cake, and later brought champagne and fruit. Really nice! I was very impressed!

Like I said, if I hadn't been to Secrets Maroma, I probably wouldn't have any niggles at all. And the beach was fine. I don't know why people are complaining about sea weed. Anyway, it's more like a soft, small sea grass. Being from California, sea weed to me is giant clumps of kelp-like ropes that the Creature from the Black Lagoon could hide in. Sea grass is quite nice in comparison! Water was an amazing color, soft white sand, nice palm trees. What more could you want? Everyone says the Maroma beach is the very best, but it's sort of like comparing one spot in paradise to another. It's all still paradise.

So if you want a beautiful place to relax with hard-working staff, tasty food with a variety of restaurants, a beautiful beach (love the beds!) and great pools, look no further.

If you want your food in less than an hour or some more lively nightlife, those are my only considerations to offer.

But really, I don't think anyone could have a bad time here! A great resort!

Room Tip: Stayed in Building 7 on the 3rd floor with an ocean view. Great location on the resort!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank ColoradoMom761
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is the last day of my vacation here at the Excellence Playa Mujeres. I've been here for 10 days and it has been a fantastic experience. This resort is like a tropical paradise. There is something here for everyone. If you enjoy lots of music and activity then you'll enjoy lounging by the Sol bar, however if you prefer a quiet, peaceful envirnoment, I recommend lounging by the Lazy River where there is a smoothy bar and bus boys ready to take your order. Santiago took very good care of us and provided outstanding service; delivering drinks, lunches and snacks. If exercise is part of your daily regime, you can take advantage of many activities such as beach volleyball, water volleyball, tennis, walks on the beach, bike tours, and fitness classes. I attended Victor's boot camp, hydro fitness, stability ball and kick boxing classes. He is a wonderful instructor, full of energy, enthusisam and a big smile! As well you can go to the Sol bar where aquerobics classes are held. Sebastion is fantastic! He actually makes working out fun. As well, zumba lovers will love Yoshi's classes. She's talented and breaks the steps down so they are easy for participants to catch onto. The staff at this resort bend over backwards to meet your every need and want. The customer service is outstanding. (Thanks Hector for surprising us with complimentary room service of wine and cheese.) Night life is glamorous with live entertainment and a wide variety of wonderful restaurants to choose from. My favorite meal was at the Mediterranean restaurant. We also thoroughly enjoyed our breakfasts at La Toscana where there is a lhuge buffet. If you are weight conscious, there is something for you here! You may be greeted by the lovely Jacqueline who escorts you to your table. There is a grill where eggs are prepared to your liking. The property is beautiful with excellent attention to detail.
Thanks to the management and staff of Playa Excellence Mujeres for your efforts to make my experience so wonderful! I hope to see you again in the future.
ps. Thank you Emmanuel for your service every morning!
Theresa A.

Room Tip: We were in the 4th building on level 2 which was fine for me, however older guests may want to selec...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

First time at this resort for my wife and I. This was our fifth and best trip to the Mayan Riviera.

Can't praise highly enough. Everything was clean, well kept and organized. The food was wonderful and the resort was gorgeous. We were greeted with warm face cloths and champagne after our journey and that set the tone for everything there after. Special acknowledgements required for Jacqueline (hostess at restaurant), Gloria (hostess at restaurant), Ismael (wonderful breakfast waiter) and Abiel (Lobster House) whos tireless dedication to exemplary service was noted.

No issues finding lounge-beds nor space in the pool. Always a plentiful supply of towels and it was wonderful not having screaming kids around you like at a family-friendly resort. Talented entertainment of an evening always rounded off a perfect day.

Would go back in a heartbeat. No idea where negative reviews of this hotel emanate from.

Room Tip: Go for a ground-floor room near the lazy river where you can pull your lounge chair out onto the gra...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thwibble
Iowa, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We just got back from a 5 night stay at EPM with two other couples. We had a great time. Everything is nicely appointed and very well maintained and we love the adult oriented atmosphere. We had stayed at ERC a few years ago. The two resorts have a lot of similarities with EPM being a little more modern/contemporary looking and ERC is a little bit more typical of Riviera Maya resorts, a little more spread out, a little more lush and tropical.
At EPM I found the food to be of higher quality and more consistent across the board. I had a lot of complaints about the food at ERC. The Tapas restaurant concept at EPM is very flawed and completely confusing, even for experienced Tapas eaters, so that one needs a little work.
One thing I liked about Excellence resorts is that even when they are full, there is plenty of space to move around. If you want to be rowdy by the pool, they have it. If you want to find a quiet corner of the resort that feels like your very own, they have that too. There is also a lot of effort put into good customer service and a luxury resort feel.
If you like to be in the pool alot, you would prosper by bringing a cheap floatie that is easy to pack in your bag and blow up. The floaties in the pool are not numerous and much coveted.
In an effort to encourage more upgrades to Excellence Club, the best views and the best beach seating is reserved for club. There are a few Spa and Poolview rooms that will give you a generous glance at the ocean, but don't count on it. Also, the non-Excellence club side of the beach is loungers and umbrellas, no beach beds except for a few at X-Lounge.

and please do not choose to go somewhere else because seaweed washes up on the beach, it is not a lot of seaweed, it is not stinky seaweed, it is not full of garbage and the staff does pay attention to it. It is not a big deal and it is easy to step over on your way to and from the water.

Room Tip: The rooftop terrace is a nice upgrade. The plunge pool is not heated and only has a few light jets...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Heather D
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We went Sept 2012 and it was amazing. Nothing bad to say, food A+, drinks wonderful, entertainment A+. I did not realize how nice this hotel was until I went on my next trip and realized how spoiled we really here there. Sometimes beach beds by pool and beach were hard to find (the towel game was played here) but that was not a big deal. You get what you pay for and I would go back here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Burlington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to the resort and I think it was even better then the first time. The people cannot do enough to make your trip first class. Another great thing is that the place is only 30min form the airport. It didn't hurt having 7 perfect days of weather as well.!!

Room Tip: if you want a quiet room choose from either building 2,3,4,5
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Zilara Cancun
#3 of 181 in Cancun
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,077 reviews
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Been to Excellence Playa Mujeres? Share your experiences!