I had the fortunate opportunity to visit both Sandals Whitehouse and Excellence Playa Mujeres within 6 months so will compare them as well.
Excellence is an absolutely gorgeous resort. Everything is extremely clean, the grounds very well kept, and the buildings all actually look as nice or better than the property photos. The rooms were very spacious and equally nice. The resort is located on a very long secluded beach with only its sister family friendly resort "beloved" next to it, but with several miles of beach on the opposite side.
We stayed in an excellence club ocean view room. I would recommend the excellence club very very highly. While the "ocean view" varies significantly depending on which room you get, the real benefit are the 2 private pools and the private beach area. The waiters in this private beach area were very attentive and there are also beach beds (both covered and open to the sun) that made a full day on the beach very nice. The excellence club concierge also has a very nice bar with the higher end liquor is more generously served. We ended up getting most of our drinks from this bar and bringing them to where-ever we ended up during the day.
The restaurants were on average very good. There were several we were overly impressed with and several that left something to be desired. The small tapas restaurant was by far our favorite. The small plate dishes served there were all truly excellent. The lobster house was surprisingly good as well. We waited until near the end of our week to try it and wished we had gone more than once. The asian restaurant was a bit of a disappointment. And overall we felt that while the staff was extremely hard working and very friendly, every restaurant was very understaffed which made for long wait times and not the best service overall in the restaurants.
The rooms were very nice, we had a view of the ocean but the design of the resort has the hotels running almost perpendicular to the beach so very few rooms are close enough to have an unobstructed view, so I would recommend not to pay for the excellence club if you are only hoping for a better view. The jacuzzis in the room were large and very nice. Beds were very comfortable and I enjoyed the pillow menu. I tried out several. They were also truly happy to supply any liquor that you wanted in your room and it came stocked with fairly high end liquor to begin with.
The spa at the resort it definitely worth getting a massage at. It's one of the nicer spas I've been to at a beach resort. They have an aqua spa of sorts that you can go through prior to having a massage that involves a number of different stations with different saunas, and water massagers in a large pool area. My wife and I really enjoyed it as a sort of relaxing time before our massages.
Finally if you go I'd really recommend taking a tour to Chizen Itza (one of the Mayan pyramids). It was really fun and very cool to see. The resort set up a tour for us with private driver with an escalade which made the drive around mexico very nice.
In terms of comparison to the sandals resort we just went to my wife and I both agreed that the rooms and just all the facilities, while both very nice, were definitely nicer and just more luxury resort appearing at excellence. We both agreed that the food was on average better at Sandals and that there were more and better activities at the resort at sandals. Overall I'd say you couldn't go wrong at either and we enjoyed our week at both resorts very much.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury adults-only resort nestled among seven swimming pools on a powdery white sand beach, in a community that boasts a spectacular Greg Norman signature golf course. This jewel of Cancun sets a new standard of luxury for all-inclusives with finely tuned amenities such as one-of-a-kind accommodations including two-story rooftop terrace suites with a private Plunge pool, meticulous service, gourmet cuisine, an exquisite spa and the signature Excellence Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Savannahville Tours N.V., BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Excellence Playa Mujeres reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Excellence Hotel Playa Mujeres
- Playa Mujeres Excellence Hotel
- Excellence Playa Mujeres Cancun